closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Request for advice regarding Rolex Service on a Sub 1680

Master

Request for advice regarding Rolex Service on a Sub 1680

Hi Gents and ladies,

I would like some advice regarding servicing a 1680. My father just gave me his Rolex 1680 he bought new in 1980. Its running abit fast but hasnt been serviced for around 20 years.

Im thinking of taking it to Rolex to get it serviced and Im set on not changing the dial or hands or bezel. However regarding the acryilic, Im guessing Rolex is gonna advice me to replace it has it has a few scratches. In that instance, will they replace it with another acrylic one? Or will it be exchanged into a sapphire? If this is the case should I just keep the original?

thank you

Last edited by kaiserphoenix; 24th April 2019 at 22:27.

You can’t mix and match with the oem crystals, but a newer acrylic may or may not look a little different to the one that’s on it.
    It's just a matter of time...

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Hi Gents and ladies,

I would like some advice regarding servicing a 1680. My father just gave me his Rolex 1680 he bought new in 1980. Its running abit fast but hasnt been serviced for around 20 years.

Im thinking of taking it to Rolex to get it serviced and Im set on not changing the dial or hands or bezel. However regarding the acryilic, Im guessing Rolex is gonna advice me to replace it has it has a few scratches. In that instance, will they replace it with another acrylic one? Or will it be exchanged into a sapphire? If this is the case should I just keep the original?

thank you
    My advice is not to send to Rolex, rather that you use an Independent, who will go through your preferences for a sympathetic service and refurb a la carte.

Im sure it’s not possible to change to sapphire btw.

Bloody nice looking thing as well btw!

Master
    Don’t worry, you can specify anything you want now with Rolex and they have upped their game with regards to listening to the customer. Overheard service person advising customer not to polish for example at st James. They can also send vintages back to Swiss HQ for a real VIP treatment on the vintages, for that though, it will cost you multiples of the standard RSC full service cost. I heard that they have a big stock period correct vintage parts back in HQ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Fantastic thank you. So I guess even if they replace the acrylic, it will be with a period correct acrylic right? Price is not an issue for this piece as it will stay in the family.

Master
    Fantastic thank you. So I guess even if they replace the acrylic, it will be with a period correct acrylic right? Price is not an issue for this piece as it will stay in the family.
    Variations usually in dial, hands, bezel insert between original and replacement. I haven’t come across discussions about variations in the acrylic crystals. Given your concerns though, just ask for full movement service only at RSC and it stays fully original. They will definitely comply.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd keep the original crystal but maybe use a bit of Polywatch on it

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    http://www.shwr.co.uk

These guys are (IMO) one of the best at vintage Rolex servicing.

Master
    I am prepared to be corrected but I was under the impression that Rolex will no longer release parts to non official repair workshops. Therefore is it correct to assume that if you use an indy, no matter how good they are, the watch is returned with non OEM parts.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I am prepared to be corrected but I was under the impression that Rolex will no longer release parts to non official repair workshops. Therefore is it correct to assume that if you use an indy, no matter how good they are, the watch is returned with non OEM parts.
    Some independents are Rolex accredited, which means Rolex will supply parts.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Where have you heard this, Mick? Doesn’t sound right.

The criteria for “Rolex Approved” is that you are Rolex accredited/trained and use Rolex parts to service Rolex watches. They (Rolex) dictate certain aspects to a point and what would be the point?!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Where have you heard this, Mick? Doesn’t sound right.

The criteria for “Rolex Approved” is that you are Rolex accredited/trained and use Rolex parts to service Rolex watches. They (Rolex) dictate certain aspects to a point and what would be the point?!!
    Walkerwek1958 who is a watch repairer has made noises in recent weeks that Omega and Rolex are restricting parts and hence this may deter other people from entering the profession.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Walkerwek1958 who is a watch repairer has made noises in recent weeks that Omega and Rolex are restricting parts and hence this may deter other people from entering the profession.
    Not accredited though. Thats the key difference.
    With accreditation you have Rolex tools and parts supply. Without, go to cousins.

A trip down to St. James's Square with a written list of instructions, easy.

Internals service only, no parts replaced and no polishing would be my advice. Great heirloom piece!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally I'd tell them not to touch it cosmetically, it's all part of the history of the watch. We all get a little rougher with age :)

Polywatch in the crystal will help get any small bits out and lessen any deeper scratches but the rest makes the watch unique.

Master
    Can you still get a Rolex acrylic top hat for a 1680(from Rolex) or are they a generic acrylic replacement now?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Not accredited though. Thats the key difference.
    With accreditation you have Rolex tools and parts supply. Without, go to cousins.
    OK that has explained that, but another question if I may, do all accredited repairers have to be an AD ?

My local AD has an accredited workshop and he charges the same price as St James because he has to.

I would like some advice regarding servicing a 1680.
    You might find this old thread of mine of some use.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...please-discuss

Master
    OK that has explained that, but another question if I may, do all accredited repairers have to be an AD ?

My local AD has an accredited workshop and he charges the same price as St James because he has to.
    No they don't have to be an AD.
    As mentioned on another thread Rocco at Watchworks is Rolex accredited.
    Not sure if Stephen Hale is or not-Celia will know.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Can you still get a Rolex acrylic top hat for a 1680(from Rolex) or are they a generic acrylic replacement now?
    I would also like to know but i guess Rolex will telll me when i get there.

Thank you everyone for their input, i never had such an old watch before so really appreciate the wisdom.

Will update as to what Rolex tell me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    What’s the difference between an acrylic crystal rolex will replace with vs the one on the watch?

Master
    What’s the difference between an acrylic crystal rolex will replace with vs the one on the watch?
    From reading it seems the service crystal is a t127
    From what I can gather the original top hat has less of a bevel whilst the service one has a more pronounced one though I have read differing opinions on this so will let our vintage experts give a definitive answer.
    Your 1680 would probably have had a slightly different original crystal than say a red 1680.
    It seems that the service crystal is a fair representation of the original shape though.
    I have seen pics of 1680s with superdomes on them and it does give a really great look-like a 1665 great white.