closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oh my god. This is an INSANE collection!!!!

oh my god. This is an INSANE collection!!!!

Master
    Drool.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

It's nice selection, but I can't help but feel it would be a more interesting collection if it didn't just have the usual suspects in there. (admittedly the concepts are kinda interesting)

Would have been nice to mix it up a bit more with an Urwerk, Groubel Forsey, Credor or even a Lange, basically watches that you have to buy with your heart.

Booring... ;-)

Re: basically watches that you have to buy with your heart.

I didn't watch the video but I assume there are mostly Rolexes.
    Am not sure how you reached the conclusion that those are not 'bought with heart'?

Link was originally posted on the 5th of April.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...king-watches-2
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Love the white gold daytonas near the end, which is odd since I don't like daytonas or particularly precious metals!

Sent from my SM-G903F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Not a fan of Daytona's but found the video interesting, thanks for posting.

Master
    Did he have any Vintage Chrono’s from Universal Geneve , Longine , Enicar , Angelus , Breitling ? Any rare Speedmaster South American Automobile clubs? Even any Rolex non Daytona Chrono’s? Any Big Blocks?
    Any interesting Dive watches Fifty Fathoms , Jaeger Polaris , Omega SM300’s , Eterna’s, IWC’s?
    Any lovely examples of dress watches from JLC, Audemar , PP, Lange?

I might be wrong but I’m thinking he might just have a lump of Daytona’s with the odd IWC big Pilot
    I’d be interested to know if I’m wrong.

I’m not a great expert but if I had his cash I reckon my collection would absolutely rock !
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 24th April 2019 at 20:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Did he have any Vintage Chrono’s from Universal Geneve , Longine , Enicar , Angelus , Breitling ? Any rare Speedmaster South American Automobile clubs? Even any Rolex non Daytona Chrono’s? Any Big Blocks?
    Any interesting Dive watches Fifty Fathoms , Jaeger Polaris , Omega SM300’s , Eterna’s, IWC’s?
    Any lovely examples of dress watches from JLC, Audemar , PP, Lange?

I might be wrong but I’m thinking he might just have a lump of Daytona’s with the odd IWC big Pilot
    I’d be interested to know if I’m wrong.

I’m not a great expert but if I had his cash I reckon my collection would absolutely rock !
    It would rock to you but probably not to everyone, he did have some AP's and PP's in there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Re: basically watches that you have to buy with your heart.

I didn't watch the video but I assume there are mostly Rolexes.
    Am not sure how you reached the conclusion that those are not 'bought with heart'?
    I am sure he bought every single one of his 25 Daytonas with his purse rather than the heart.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I am sure he bought every single one of his 25 Daytonas with his purse rather than the heart.

Ooh Jesus... they're tacky...

Like something you'd buy in Blackpool from the same bloke who sold you the clockwork chattering teeth.

The worst parts are those areas on the dial that display the brand and model... they remind me of the plaques on the benches in cemeteries.

I just don’t understand how people can arrive at the reaction that he’s not into watches, that somehow his collection (of which we have only seen a small fraction) hasn’t been amassed via genuine enthusiasm.

He can be a bit of a prat, and prattle on a bit, but he clearly has an authentic interest in our hobby.

I have always agreed with the notion that a collection of rare digital Seikos, or Disney watches, or army-surplus field watches can be as meaningful and interesting as multi-million dollar collections of Rolexes and Pateks. It has to work the other way round, though. A collection of sports Rolexes can be as interesting and meaningful as the cheaper/less fashionable stuff, if it’s what the collector really wants.

Those gem-set manual-wind Daytonas really are interesting footnotes in Rolex history, by the way. An already reasonably uncommon watch, unloved ‘in their day’, gem-set in yellow gold. They are very rare, and a bit of an oxymoron; one would expect the bling to be found on convenient, automatic Day-Dates or Lady Datejusts - not the unpopular, awkward chronograph one had to wind every day.

If it’s not your thing, fine, you’ll save million of pounds. It’s silly to question his enthusiasm though.

It’s certainly not to show off his wealth; he’s a post-war musician who’s sold a lot of albums - exactly who is going to think that he was poor?

I’m not even going to touch on the ‘piece unique’ Patek, or the hoarding of rubber straps. You don’t end up doing that by being casual.

My only gripe is that I think he was wrong about the conception of the Sea-Dweller. IIRC, that was Rolex working with the US Navy’s SEALAB, not COMEX.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post

Like something you'd buy in Blackpool from the same bloke who sold you the clockwork chattering teeth.
    Nailed it Umbongo.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we all have different tastes, thank god(mine stretch from odd to downright eye swivelling lunacy), but those are beyond tacky. Like a gold wrapped Lamborghini parked outside Harrods on the wrist.

The chap is clearly into his watches and more power to his elbow, or wrist, but my overriding impression especially this time out is his taste is being defined by the dealer(s) he engages with rather than coming from within. Common enough with the extremely wealthy and busy, from the middle aged guys who arrive by yacht with hair plugs and a 20 year old Russian "model" to the rock star celebs. They often subcontract the rest of their lives including their hobbies. I've known a few such folks in my time and fair play if it gives them pleasure.

The other problem is that site itself. It went from the more hobbyist end, to aspirational and then industry influence and then more and more driven by the dealers and their market. They can be vey obvious about it too. If this chap or others in the series show off a particular watch they know the moneyed aspirational types will be hotfooting it to the dealers or high end auctions. Cue that site pimping the next Big Thing™ auction in New York, or Geneva strongly featuring Rolex models that look like they've been dipped in crushed up penny sweets.

Remember his first outing where his Rolex Milsub featured? Well no mention of that this time(IWC took a back seat too) as its authenticity was challenged. And then we get to dealers and auction houses, neither exactly stain free on pushing dubious goods, marriages and even outright fakes. You're actually more protected buying a Casio G-Shock for 20 quid on ebay with PayPal than winning a Patek at a high end auction no matter who's helming it. On that score I can see why dealers and auction houses like Rolex, and it's not so much to do with their clearly obvious quality. More quite a bit to do with Rolex rightfully playing clever and not getting into that melee and not definitively authenticating their vintage watches. Vintage Heuer are a charm too as their records appear to have been kept on the back of a fag packet. And then lost.

YOu'll also notice how previously off the radar vintage brands and models(QV the tacky Daytonas above) get featured on the site. Well, as the market drives the previous hot tickets out of more and more potential buyer's reach and supply dries up, they look around for other merchandise that will fit the bill and keep their market going(the million quid Pateks are a separate market. They rarely stay with one owner for more than an year anyway). A while back they featured pretty commonplace French LIP chronographs and waxed lyrical about their "Panda" dials and "Paul Newman" look. (where's the roll eyes smiley when you need him.. :)) and the various style differences in the models. All the stuff you would eventually step in if you followed a male member of the bovid family of animals around a field. We've seen this in the classic car market too. As the air cooled Porsches went mad money and the supply dried up, they were looking around for anything that will fill the void.

^ Well said, Wibbs.
    Last edited by Raffe; 24th April 2019 at 23:05.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Wasn't too long ago he bought some questionable watches it was all the news on the watch forums at the time.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/watch-l...-rolex-pieces/

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post

Certainly not my cup of tea but for a Daytona collector like him it might make a sense as these are extremely rare- only
    8 or so around. First time I watched some of these videos. He seems like an enthusiast focused on Daytonas. He is aware of the quirkiness of the diamond encrusted ones and the way he explains why he bought those with the Jay Leno reference, one can understand it. He seems quite knowledgeable too. John Mayer with diamond encrusted Daytonas in his collection is not the same as Floyd Mayweather wearing one. Not that I am judging Mayweather. To each his own. The point is he comes across as a genuine enthusiast and that is what I liked.

Some will still see him as a rich bloke with more money than sense but I certainly don't after watching about 10
    min of this. He has certainly made a few wrong turns in the hobby with the most famous one where he got sold dicey ones. Like we all do occasionally. It is just that he can absorb these better.The fact that he chooses Daytona which is more mainstream doesn't make him any less of an enthusiast than someone who makes more esoteric choices.
    Glad to have been a part of John Mayer circle j**k for a few min. It is always fun for me to see someone enjoy their watches regardless of their choices or wealth. Slightly more interesting than snobbish dismissive comments about others watches and choices. There is certainly an audience for those too.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 25th April 2019 at 04:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Wasn't too long ago he bought some questionable watches it was all the news on the watch forums at the time.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/watch-l...-rolex-pieces/
    Collectors at that end of the market are very much reliant on dealers. Same thing if they're collecting high end art, cars etc. They're unlikely to be trawling ebay at two in the morning, glass of wine in hand. So even someone like John Mayer, who is just as much an enthusiast as someone with a well loved and curated collection of Casio digitals, is more open to getting shafted. IIRC he withdrew that lawsuit against the dealer(?), but fair play to him for bringing it up and into the public eye in the first place. Can't have been easy when you're questioning a "well respected dealer to the stars"(and people you know).

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
    Nailed it Umbongo.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and we all have different tastes, thank god(mine stretch from odd to downright eye swivelling lunacy), but those are beyond tacky. Like a gold wrapped Lamborghini parked outside Harrods on the wrist.

The chap is clearly into his watches and more power to his elbow, or wrist, but my overriding impression especially this time out is his taste is being defined by the dealer(s) he engages with rather than coming from within. Common enough with the extremely wealthy and busy, from the middle aged guys who arrive by yacht with hair plugs and a 20 year old Russian "model" to the rock star celebs. They often subcontract the rest of their lives including their hobbies. I've known a few such folks in my time and fair play if it gives them pleasure.

The other problem is that site itself. It went from the more hobbyist end, to aspirational and then industry influence and then more and more driven by the dealers and their market. They can be vey obvious about it too. If this chap or others in the series show off a particular watch they know the moneyed aspirational types will be hotfooting it to the dealers or high end auctions. Cue that site pimping the next Big Thing™ auction in New York, or Geneva strongly featuring Rolex models that look like they've been dipped in crushed up penny sweets.

Remember his first outing where his Rolex Milsub featured? Well no mention of that this time(IWC took a back seat too) as its authenticity was challenged. And then we get to dealers and auction houses, neither exactly stain free on pushing dubious goods, marriages and even outright fakes. You're actually more protected buying a Casio G-Shock for 20 quid on ebay with PayPal than winning a Patek at a high end auction no matter who's helming it. On that score I can see why dealers and auction houses like Rolex, and it's not so much to do with their clearly obvious quality. More quite a bit to do with Rolex rightfully playing clever and not getting into that melee and not definitively authenticating their vintage watches. Vintage Heuer are a charm too as their records appear to have been kept on the back of a fag packet. And then lost.

YOu'll also notice how previously off the radar vintage brands and models(QV the tacky Daytonas above) get featured on the site. Well, as the market drives the previous hot tickets out of more and more potential buyer's reach and supply dries up, they look around for other merchandise that will fit the bill and keep their market going(the million quid Pateks are a separate market. They rarely stay with one owner for more than an year anyway). A while back they featured pretty commonplace French LIP chronographs and waxed lyrical about their "Panda" dials and "Paul Newman" look. (where's the roll eyes smiley when you need him.. :)) and the various style differences in the models. All the stuff you would eventually step in if you followed a male member of the bovid family of animals around a field. We've seen this in the classic car market too. As the air cooled Porsches went mad money and the supply dried up, they were looking around for anything that will fill the void.
    Very well put. Hodinkee has changed things and not for the good of the avid collectors. It is designed to maximise the affluent New Yorker. I think Hodinkee pretty much stylise themselves as a 'lifestyle' magazine too

Master
    I suppose Crazyp the reality is they had to monetise the site and that's how you do it. They weren't always like that in their early days. But yep it's very much New York aspirational now. Outside of a couple of contributors over there I'd read most with a cynical eye. Their bring a loupe section has regular and overpriced howlers, but their vintage sales section even more regularly takes the biscuit. But they find buyers who trust their brand.

Master
    Rich guy buys expensive watches, a lot of expensive watches, big deal.

With that access to funds and a personal shopper / dealer of course he'll have some watches other dream about owning one day.

I suppose Crazyp the reality is they had to monetise the site and that's how you do it. They weren't always like that in their early days. But yep it's very much New York aspirational now. Outside of a couple of contributors over there I'd read most with a cynical eye. Their bring a loupe section has regular and overpriced howlers, but their vintage sales section even more regularly takes the biscuit. But they find buyers who trust their brand.
    It is very much the case. I had it on good authority that the initial investors were getting worried a few years ago that the monetisation aspects were not quite 'on track'. It was authoritative but was not making money. The changes tie in with how the site became less 'enthusiastic'. It was in many ways inevitable sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Rich guy buys expensive watches, a lot of expensive watches, big deal.

With that access to funds and a personal shopper / dealer of course he'll have some watches other dream about owning one day.
    I feel sorry you if that is what you come out with after watching the video.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Some of you lot come across like bitchy schoolgirls.

Man collects types of watches he's interested in. Shock horror and scorn.

Master
    Some joyless people on here. The guy knows what he likes and collects fine examples. The fact that they're not obscure or sufficiently left-field for some is neither here nor there. He's knowledgeable and enthusiastic and can afford to indulge himself. I'm sure even he'd admit his collection seems a bit overly Rolex and Daytona focussed but I'd wear any of them in a heartbeat.

The point about Hodinkee being an aspirational and lifestyle guide for the rich metropolitans, consciously moulding the market for whatever they heap praise upon is undeniable, but we don't need to throw the baby out with the bath-water. Still some joy to be had listening to a collector gush about their 'precious things'.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Agreed Stef.
    I'd definitely give the diamond Daytonas house room. Bloody marvellous vintage gem setting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    It is very much the case. I had it on good authority that the initial investors were getting worried a few years ago that the monetisation aspects were not quite 'on track'. It was authoritative but was not making money. The changes tie in with how the site became less 'enthusiastic'. It was in many ways inevitable sadly.
    Well that kind of web hosting costs money and unless you're running some social media outfit that's financed by the stock price they have to make money. Which is fair enough and fair play that they can. It's sometimes how they do that and how they have influenced the market that keeps me cynical. Now people pay what people pay but in leveraging their position in the market their vintage shop is way overpriced, even for dealers, which would be fine if they did simple things like service the watches, source serial number histories from the manufacturers where applicable(and get even general ages right) and didn't describe every time only 40's/50's/60's subdial seconds watch as a "Calatrava". For a long while they didn't even post movement pictures, even when on the site contributor buying advice was telling readers to never buy without seeing one. Still, they clearly have a market as watches rarely last long before being sold.

Actually I have the feeling the Mayer chap would be a watch collector even if he was working in an office doing part time pub gigs. Or a collector of some nature. Has the traits/madness of the type. :)

Actually I have the feeling the Mayer chap would be a watch collector even if he was working in an office doing part time pub gigs. Or a collector of some nature. Has the traits/madness of the type. :)

Agreed, and I think this enthusiasm is what should make the video enjoyable to those who don’t share his taste.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    Agreed, and I think this enthusiasm is what should make the video enjoyable to those who don’t share his taste.
    I'm with you 100% on that D.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post

The worst parts are those areas on the dial that display the brand and model... they remind me of the plaques on the benches in cemeteries.

Yup. Those look horrendous, to be fair!

Whilst I do not agree with some of this tastes he does show genuine enthusiasm for watches and his collection. If he did buy most of those Daytonas 10+ years ago the value of his collection must have skyrocketed in the last few years.

Master
    No sympathy required thank you for your concern.

BTH I didn't watch the video. My point was, enthusiasm for his watch passion (which is well documented) is easy when you have access to the level of resources he has. Thus no challenge when you can get what you want when you want it.

I'm not envious (although it may come across that way) it would just be boring to me as there wouldn't be anything to aim for. Just a case of "I want it, I'll buy it"

At that level it's not so much collector as consumer with a watch preference IMO

BTH I didn't watch the video. My point was, enthusiasm for his watch passion (which is well documented) is easy when you have access to the level of resources he has. Thus no challenge when you can get what you want when you want it.

I'm not envious (although it may come across that way) it would just be boring to me as there wouldn't be anything to aim for. Just a case of "I want it, I'll buy it"

At that level it's not so much collector as consumer with a watch preference IMO

Appreciate the courteous response. It might be easy for him to acquire these watches given his obvious wealth but that doesn't take away from his obvious passion and interest. And, they are not shabby watches. There is more to the video than the encrusted Daytonas. Much more. A rich person's enthusiasm can be as genuine and infectious as a regular watchgoer and I can enjoy both. There are celebrities who collect expensive watches just because they can afford them and like having them on their wrists and as an obvious show of their wealth. Mayer doesn't come across as such.
    I clearly remember a senior member ( a big fan of Carry On movies:-) )here who unfortunately isn't active these days.He was so clearly overjoyed on getting his Speedmaster Pro after wanting it for long that it was hard not to really share and enjoy that enthusiasm. I can enjoy Mayer's enthusiasm the same way. A big part of this hobby ( atleast for me ) is to able to feel and share others enthusiasm ( as long as there is no negativity). IMO, anyone who can't do that is potentially reducing the enjoyment from this hobby by atleast 50%.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 25th April 2019 at 15:47.

Master

I think having his level of resources is more likely to reduce enthusiasm and result in someone taking it for granted rather than having the exuberance and gratitude of a poorer collector. It's to his credit this isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Some of his watches are OK, but John Mayer is a prize pillock.

Master

I don’t really see why it’d have to be boring to be honest. He still has the chase and research we all love whether that’s collecting old Timex hand winders or Patek oddities. If it was boring he’d sound bored, instead he speaks with the greatest of enthusiasm about a passion he’s had for many years and tells fond stories of what he was wearing on stage etc

By that logic, if you were rich you wouldn’t be into anything as it’d be boring because you could have anything.

Maybe it’d help if you watched both his talking watches videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Some of his watches are OK, but John Mayer is a prize pillock.
    Are you a jilted lover?

Master
    Are you a jilted lover?
    Lol.

Are you a jilted lover?
    Copyright infringement:-)

Copyright infringement:-)
    I’ll accept the legal papers with good grace when they arrive. Thanks for the heads up

Are you a jilted lover?
    No, I'm someone who read his Playboy interview. Are you?

Craftsman
    Enjoyed his views on the watches he had in the video. It is clear he loves watches.

I wonder what he would have thought if he knew one of the people listening to his video was wearing a vintage Timex 1978 pin pallet manual wind with funky date, racing watch! Completely at the other end of the scale.

On the side of that page was another interview with the same interviewer, but with Fred Savage (the now adult, who played the boy in the Wonder Years). Again, a real passion for watches (and his kids) but a nice selection of old and new, affordable and expensive. Good to see these guys really into watches.

No, I'm someone who read his Playboy interview. Are you?
    No I just enjoyed the watches since it’s a watch forum. Glad you enjoy reading those publications though. Thanks for sharing. You must have a magnificent collection to think “some of his watches are ok”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    On the side of that page was another interview with the same interviewer, but with Fred Savage (the now adult, who played the boy in the Wonder Years). Again, a real passion for watches (and his kids) but a nice selection of old and new, affordable and expensive. Good to see these guys really into watches.
    +1 Fred came across as a very sound chap indeed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I don’t really see why it’d have to be boring to be honest. He still has the chase and research we all love whether that’s collecting old Timex hand winders or Patek oddities. If it was boring he’d sound bored, instead he speaks with the greatest of enthusiasm about a passion he’s had for many years and tells fond stories of what he was wearing on stage etc

By that logic, if you were rich you wouldn’t be into anything as it’d be boring because you could have anything.

Maybe it’d help if you watched both his talking watches videos.
    I didn’t say it was boring, I said I’d find it boring.

And your logic is very flawed, there are many more things to be interested in, or inspired by then being rich and buying trinkets. I am discovering this, as the wealthier I become I am spending far less on “stuff”.

I’ve sold off all of my collection over the last few years and down to one watch, I’m still very interested in watches, but I haven’t seen anything for a few years now that I think “I want one”

Could be an age thing too, I've become less materialistic with each passing year.

No I just enjoyed the watches since it’s a watch forum. Glad you enjoy reading those publications though. Thanks for sharing. You must have a magnificent collection to think “some of his watches are ok”
    I didn't enjoy reading it. He comes across as both a racist and a misogynist. Have a look if you don't believe me, it's available online.

As to his collection, I find it a bit unimaginitive. Man with lots of money buys Hodinkee top picks.

Master
    John Mayer quote “My dick is sort of like a white supremacist.“
    A strange thing to discuss during a magazine article. I would have thought
    Anyway he likes diamond encrusted Daytona’s so that’s ok then.

Master
    that collection is the stereo type of a watch collection by a pop star isn't it?! I 'don't get' the rainbow daytonas and think they are tacky, but I enjoyed the video as he cleary loves watches and knows about them....although his taste is different to my own!

I didn't enjoy reading it. He comes across as both a racist and a misogynist. Have a look if you don't believe me, it's available online.

As to his collection, I find it a bit unimaginitive. Man with lots of money buys Hodinkee top picks.
    I’m sure he is. I watched it to see watches however and for that reason alone.

Blog Entries

Another one gets added to the black list....