closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ADs and bracelets.

Master
    Blog Entries

ADs and bracelets.

It’s 20 years since I bought a new watch in an AD.

At what point would I expect them to size the bracelet?

Before I have paid as part of the evaluation or only once I have paid ?

Journeyman
    On my personal experience it is usually after you have paid.

I picked up an Explorer yesterday and the bracelet was sized after I paid for the watch.

It took a while to get the perfect fit and I half joked that if I wasn’t happy, I would be leaving the watch and asking for the money to be put back on my credit card. Poor sales chap looked slightly stressed. However, all was good.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn’t let them do it.

Something I would enjoying myself to obtain the best fit, however long it takes.

Plus the fact I would not trust them to mark the bracelet or mangle the screw heads.

Grand Master
    A situation I’ve never been in, I don’t buy new watches. However, there could be a situation where the decision to buy has to be based on getting the watch to fit correctly. In that case I’d ask for the bracelet to be sized before committing to buy, I don’t think that’s unreasonable. The staff should be skilled enough to adjust the bracelet without leaving any marks, if the deal doesn’t work out they can reverse the sizing and no- one’s any wiser.

Craftsman
    Both Rolex watches bought for my wife were sized as part of the trying on before she made her mind up stage.

All my Rolex have fitted perfectlywhen trying them on , only my sub has needed adjustment since buying 19 years ago.

Blog Entries
    In my experience - after purchase. Sometimes bracelets have stickers that need to be removed

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well; the nice man in Goldsmiths Canterbury was willing to size the bracelet for me prior to purchase so I could try it ...

I guess he could tell I was going to buy it so wasn't that big a deal.

Said he gets plenty of people fishing for Rolex; says he gets people coming in asking for ANY professional model ...

He told me they don't operate lists but you can register interest and they try to assess who are genuine buyers (people who will keep watches) and sell to them ...

Nice experience all round; and now I have a nice new Black Bay 58 :-)

Master
    If you buy a rolex steel watch, sizing of the bracelet is “Mandatory” in many ADs.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    If you buy a rolex steel watch, sizing of the bracelet is “Mandatory” in many ADs.
    Quite, but only after you have paid.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    So just tell them that you like to wear it very loose, and you want all the links left in.

If people want to try watches on with bracelets sized they should also accept that the one they buy might have been similarly tried by someone else so possibly no stickers.

Master
    Just had a naughty thought.

Buy a SS Rolex professional series watch, let the AD go through all the nonsense of keeping the warranty card, insisting on removing stickers, then faffing adjusting the bracelet. In essence making sure you can’t re-sell “as new” then go “nah changed my mind I don’t want it”

Hilarious, to me anyway.

If I've doubted the fit I've had it sized to try first.
    If I know it will fit through experience I've just bought - sometimes letting them size it, sometimes doing it myself.
    It depends.
    I did have an over enthusiastic sales assistant demonstrate how easy it was to remove links and size a Chrono Avenger and in the process mangled and scuffed visibly - which was helpful in negotiating a discount for shop soiled goods 😉
    Gray

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Just had a naughty thought.

Buy a SS Rolex professional series watch, let the AD go through all the nonsense of keeping the warranty card, insisting on removing stickers, then faffing adjusting the bracelet. In essence making sure you can’t re-sell “as new” then go “nah changed my mind I don’t want it”

Hilarious, to me anyway.
    They would not do anything until you had paid.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Buy a SS Rolex professional series watch
    Good luck with that!!