closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Electricity contract time again

Master

Electricity contract time again

I know this is a regular thing but the markets changing so darn fast!!

So EON want to put up my bill by c. £80 (per year) on their new tariff... 4377KWh for the year by direct debit. single fuel 'cause no gas 'round here...

Any suggestions please? Last time I did the rounds trying different suppliers as per recommendations via the fury rat web site and ended up back at EON anyway. :-(

Steve

Master
    Just did the same as contract up. Price over my last 18month contract has gone up by 20%. Only deals that were near the previous price were variables but eventually had to go with a 2 year deal fixed rate gambling on prices continuing to rise. EON came out best of the bunch for me but still sticks in my throat on how much my bill will increase from the last couple of years. Single use as no gas here either, approx 6000 units a year so £106 per month estimated.

i'm on leccy only (no gas) and about 5000kwh a year and went from isupply to Bulb. it went up Year on Year but then its reflecting wholesale prices.

i’m expecting to pay £500-£550 depending on how cold the winter is. can’t complain on the service from Bulb, they haven’t increased the DD despite my usage being really high in the cold February we had.

they offer generous recommendations with £50 credit for both new customer and the recommender (if you don’t know anyone with bulb then there must be a few on here as well as me who can share a code)

My GF is with eon and they keep hassling her to fit a smart meter as part of her contract despite having no weekend appointments in the foreseeable future, she will move to Bulb in the summer.

Master
    For a three bed house in the YO25 postcode using 4400kWh a year Bulb are predicting £55 a month or £660 a year (variable, not fixed). I'm not sure how that compares with what you are paying now but I have found them to be very efficient & they have just reduced gas prices slightly (not that it helps you, but it shows they do lower prices). I would recommend them & it's very simple to move as they do all the work. You don't have to have a Smart meter but they do have them available if you want one. Using a referral code gets both parties £50 credit on their account.

Another frequently recommended supplier is Octopus. They are quoting around £60/mo fixed for 12 months for your usage.

I find cash back sites worth going through/ checking as well .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    i'm on leccy only (no gas) and about 5000kwh a year and went from isupply to Bulb. it went up Year on Year but then its reflecting wholesale prices.

i’m expecting to pay £500-£550 depending on how cold the winter is. can’t complain on the service from Bulb, they haven’t increased the DD despite my usage being really high in the cold February we had.

they offer generous recommendations with £50 credit for both new customer and the recommender (if you don’t know anyone with bulb then there must be a few on here as well as me who can share a code)

My GF is with eon and they keep hassling her to fit a smart meter as part of her contract despite having no weekend appointments in the foreseeable future, she will move to Bulb in the summer.
    EON seem to have stopped hassling me about a smart meter.. they asked two or three times but each time they got short shrift so they seem to have finally got the message ;-)

Is variable tariff a good idea? I've been on fixed for as long as I can remember.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    For a three bed house in the YO25 postcode using 4400kWh a year Bulb are predicting £55 a month or £660 a year (variable, not fixed). I'm not sure how that compares with what you are paying now but I have found them to be very efficient & they have just reduced gas prices slightly (not that it helps you, but it shows they do lower prices). I would recommend them & it's very simple to move as they do all the work. You don't have to have a Smart meter but they do have them available if you want one. Using a referral code gets both parties £50 credit on their account.

Another frequently recommended supplier is Octopus. They are quoting around £60/mo fixed for 12 months for your usage.
    EON have been £650 for the last 12 months and they're now saying £740 for the next 12 months.

I'll try bulb and see what they say.

Update:

Bulb £650 pa
    Octopus £712 pa
    Last edited by solwisesteve; 24th April 2019 at 12:41.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    I use the tools on the Martin Lewis moneysavingexpert website to find and then monitor the best deals - it's hard to keep up with such an impenetrable market but that site appears to do a decent job of keeping me informed via email when a better deal for me comes up.

I was with Bulb, who were great for customer service, but recently moved to a fixed deal with Green Network Energy (I think they're called) via Moneysavingexpert. Cheaper fixed cost and I received cash-back to move.

Master
    Damn.... just gone through the bulb signup thinking, at some point, it's going to ask for a start date and it didn't :-( So now they say they're starting before the current contract is over :-(

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Damn.... just gone through the bulb signup thinking, at some point, it's going to ask for a start date and it didn't :-( So now they say they're starting before the current contract is over :-(
    I'm with Bulb as well (they are good btw) and they will pay your exit fee from your current contract - so don't worry (you have to provide proof - but that's easy).

Cheers,

Mark C

Master
    Interesting - EON has just upped my bill with very little savings to be made by fixing with them. The reason I haven’t shopped around was the fear that everyone now insists you install a smart meter (what a farce). If Bulb don’t I’m definitely going to go with them I think... if anyone has a code they want to share for their £50 drop me a PM!

Master
    Contact them & discuss it - they will help. If you want to delay joining I suspect they will, although as has been said they will pay exit fees.

They can also retro-add a referral code to give you £50

Master
    Contact them & discuss it - they will help. If you want to delay joining I suspect they will, although as has been said they will pay exit fees.

They can also retro-add a referral code to give you £50
    I've emailed them to suggest moving the change over date back a few weeks to continue when the old contract ends.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Interesting - EON has just upped my bill with very little savings to be made by fixing with them. The reason I haven’t shopped around was the fear that everyone now insists you install a smart meter (what a farce). If Bulb don’t I’m definitely going to go with them I think... if anyone has a code they want to share for their £50 drop me a PM!
    I've checked the Bulb words and I can't see mention of having to go smart meter. However this happened to me last year. EON put the price up. Signed up with someone else. Then found out they insisted on a smart meter. Cancelled and went back to eon to find their new quote was even higher than their renewal quote. It was like that scene with Rory Breaker in 'lock stock...', "that was the offer last week, todays offer is...."

Just read through their welcome pack and no mention of a smart metre.
    Last edited by solwisesteve; 24th April 2019 at 13:33.

Master
    I use uswitch.com every year – really simple, just add your monthly payment or consumption if you know that and pick a new supplier. They take care of everything in the background and you’re sorted!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    I use uswitch.com every year – really simple, just add your monthly payment or consumption if you know that and pick a new supplier. They take care of everything in the background and you’re sorted!
    Just tried them and they said goto bulb :-)

Bulb

I’m with bulb - a recent move via money saving expert
    They’re very good
    Indeed just put a £20 credit on for customers for bringing prices DOWN
    Plus £25 from money saving expert

Octopus are also very good
    They picked up the pieces from Iresa when they went bust

They deal with my parents via me with no issues and have adopted the smart meter that Eon out in a while back

For me the most important thing is

Get your kWh for both gas and electric and run them through MoneySuperMarket
    The results will be accurate - not like gushing or putting a ££££ figure in
    Then look at cash back sites

I don’t mind paying £2-£3 a month more for a healthy £80 to £100 cash back

Then move, diarise and repeat

I have signed up with 'Look After MY Bills

so far the service has been excellent and worth the 5 minutes to complete online. I am currently predicted to save £350 a year (gas and elec) over the next 12 months.

Master
    Octopus - not the cheapest but very good service.

EON seem to have stopped hassling me about a smart meter.. they asked two or three times but each time they got short shrift so they seem to have finally got the message ;-)

Is variable tariff a good idea? I've been on fixed for as long as I can remember.
    Same here ref the smart meter, my current fixed term with Eon ends early May, Eon's cheapest tariff for gas and elec had increased by £20 per month, plus reading the small print, I would have to have a smart meter installed within 6 months of taking it up. (very similar deals when I had a check around with other supplies SSE for example)

I have singed up to Bulb, price for combined gas / elec is as per my about to lapse Eon tariff, it's variable rate with no cancellation fees etc. I'll see how it pans out, see if it is then worth looking at a fixed rate deal.

Never had any issues with Eon, I was with them for many a year.
    Last edited by geran; 24th April 2019 at 16:23.

I've emailed them to suggest moving the change over date back a few weeks to continue when the old contract ends.
    From memory you have something like 40+ days where you can start with a new supplier, prior to your old deal finishing with no come back, assume it's an ofgem ruling.

I've been with Bulb for nearly two years and no complaints at all. Not only do they supply electricity from 100% renewable sources, they've recently announced their gas supply is now 100% carbon neutral.

I've just done a price check and the best saving I can get is £152 per year with OutfoxTheMarket, but who are they? I checked TrustPilot and …

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www...ges=en&stars=1

I'll stick with Bulb

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/bulb.co.uk

Master
    We're with the Co op, cheap for me and not once in two years has a "smart meter" been mentioned, unless I get a discount for having one installed they can stick it, I use various comparison sites and get to see who comes up most regularly and different reviews. Soon be that time agin.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    From memory you have something like 40+ days where you can start with a new supplier, prior to your old deal finishing with no come back, assume it's an ofgem ruling.
    It’s 49 days from the end of your contract that you can switch with no penalty.

If you fancy a £50 bonus when you switch to bulb here’s my referral link - win / win for both of us 👍
    https://bulb.co.uk/refer/gavins0116?...ce=copy-button

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Octopus - not the cheapest but very good service.
    Actually for me they were, except for Outfox the Market, who I switched from, who were cheap but really really awful.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post
    I have signed up with 'Look After MY Bills

so far the service has been excellent and worth the 5 minutes to complete online. I am currently predicted to save £350 a year (gas and elec) over the next 12 months.
    The problem is they don't say you'll get the cheapest deal available, just a cheaper deal. If a particular company won't agree to a big enough commission to LAMB then they aren't offered to you & you won't know you could have done better.

The problem is they don't say you'll get the cheapest deal available, just a cheaper deal. If a particular company won't agree to a big enough commission to LAMB then they aren't offered to you & you won't know you could have done better.
    You could be right, however £350 is a saving to me so i am happy.

Master
    I think you can register your details (usage etc.) on the Martin Lewis site and they email you with current best prices - or something like that.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ut...ricity/#need-2

My details are on one of the price comparison sites and I log on every now and then to see how my current deal compares.

I agree it can be difficult to get a proper comparison when some companies have increased prices but other haven't - or rather haven't yet!

Master
    Blog Entries
    The perils of living in Victorian houses in Scotland - £130/month dual fuel is the cheapest I could get. I keep trying to convince the wife to buy double glazed refurbished sashes, but I also admit spending £1k a window is a heck of an investment if we might move to Spain when I retire.

Master
    Another for money saving expert. Always seems the cheapest, especially with their ‘big switch’ deal they negotiate every few months.