closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BT phone socket

Craftsman

BT phone socket

Help please Guys!! Wired up a phone master socket with guide for colour of wires but have two unlisted.One is brown with white rings the other white with brown rings.They must share connections on the others but I don’t know where. There are 6 terminals in all.Please help!!!

Master
    Are they not just spare cores which are unused and can be bombed off or cut back?

^^^this. Almost certainly a spare pair the will go back to the box at the roadside

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Help please Guys!! Wired up a phone master socket with guide for colour of wires but have two unlisted.One is brown with white rings the other white with brown rings.They must share connections on the others but I don’t know where. There are 6 terminals in all.Please help!!!
    Are you talking about the incoming cable or an extension? If it's an extension cable you actually only need teminals 2 & 5 conected - usually Blue/White & White/Blue. Often terminal 3 is connected as well, usually with Orange/White. You don't need the rest so tuck them out of the way.

If it's the incoming cable you shouldn't be touching it & the core colours can vary depending on the dropwire type, but agian you only need two of them connected to the A &B terminals.

http://telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm

Craftsman
    Cheers Guys yes it’s incoming to master socket.Trial and error has got broadband working but My phone is dead so I’m nearly there.Its likely the wiring is circa 1970s!!!!

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Cheers Guys yes it’s incoming to master socket.Trial and error has got broadband working but My phone is dead so I’m nearly there.Its likely the wiring is circa 1970s!!!!
    I had similar last year - in the end BT found a fault at the Exchange that prevented the phone from working even though the broadband remained live throughout - well worth giving them a call to investigate rather than messing about with their property. If the wiring is that old they may well replace it completely, including the master socket. Their engineer told me that the old master sockets have a component in them (a capacitor I think) that degrades over time.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Thanks for that, what a brilliant website!