closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai Luminor bracelet advice

Panerai Luminor bracelet advice

After many years of admiring the PAM0088 I have finally bought one :) This model never came with a bracelet option which I guess is not surprising since Panerai seems to be the ultimate strap swappers watch. I made sure I found a 0088 with the quick change strap system for this reason but still think I would like to try it on a bracelet at some point. OEM bracelets are rare and expensive on the used market and since I am not sure if the bracelet will see a lot of wear, I am leaning towards aftermarket.

There seem to be a few choices on eBay and elsewhere, like this:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/all/brace...-id8424485.htm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-24MM-WA...cAAOSw35pcq6w9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24mm-Watch-...oAAOSwKV9cUC4p

Does anyone have experience of the quality of aftermarket bracelets, or the two different styles on offer? I think I prefer the style in the first link but never having seen these in the flesh I would appreciate the benefit of any TZ'ers experience.

Cheers
    Simon

Please beware that bracelets are according to case style. There are subtle differences which means the end links have to be different. Strapcode has decent bracelets but again make sure you get the right one.

Thanks Rajen that's good advice, I will be sure to check with the sellers and will check out Strapcode now

Ten years ago, when I was more interested in Panerai than I am now, perceived wisdom was that non-bracelet series Luminors required special third-party adapters to allow a decent lug fit between a Panerai OEM bracelet & the case, as the holes are located fractionally differently. You can Google 'Panerai micro-adapters' & see what it brings up. I don't know what the fit would be like with third-party bracelets.

Incidentally, do the non-OEM bracelets taper?
    Last edited by jwg663; 23rd April 2019 at 17:04. Reason: More info...
    ______

​Jim.

Glad to know that Jim as all my reading hasn't mentioned this as a potential issue. I will do some searching and double check with sellers before I take a chance on a bracelet. From my limited knowledge I believe the Luminor bracelet doesnt taper.

Thanks for the help

I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that Panerai Luminor OEM bracelets taper from 24mm to 22mm & the third-party ones generally do not.
    ______

​Jim.

I would agree about the micro-adapter comment. Just be careful to ensure the correct fit.
    Also maybe consider just wearing it for a while without the metal strap-I love my Panerai and have owned far too many leather straps over the years and never once been tempted to put it on a bracelet.
    I even went through a phase of making my own straps from vintage leather which was great fun but I no longer have the time to do that.
    Whatever you decide-enjoy the watch!

I think I have made sense of the info on the web relating to micro adaptors. These seem to be needed for OEM bracelets on Pams sold originally with straps. This is because the case has locating grovves on the lugs for the bracelet that the strap models lack. However, aftermarket bracelets do not need these apparently and later Pams with the quick release system didn't have the tabs anyway. I guess the odds of an aftermarket bracelet fitting ok given mine has the quick release system are good so I am going to go ahead and buy a bracelet from the ebay link in my first post. The seller will refund if its no good.

Wigdog how do you find your watch on straps in summer, or do you only use rubber through the warmer months?

Cheers for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I think I have made sense of the info on the web relating to micro adaptors. These seem to be needed for OEM bracelets on Pams sold originally with straps. This is because the case has locating grovves on the lugs for the bracelet that the strap models lack. However, aftermarket bracelets do not need these apparently and later Pams with the quick release system didn't have the tabs anyway. I guess the odds of an aftermarket bracelet fitting ok given mine has the quick release system are good so I am going to go ahead and buy a bracelet from the ebay link in my first post. The seller will refund if its no good.

Wigdog how do you find your watch on straps in summer, or do you only use rubber through the warmer months?

Cheers for the advice
    Leather all the way
    I have worn it on rubber and it's comfortable but aesthetically not as nice IMO. Tend to choose a different watch if I'm going in the sea though- lucky enough now to have a decent choice of metal or canvas straps.
    Here's a picture of one of my home made efforts- crafted from an old military ammunition bag.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    There was 88 with bracelet in pam 161,though I think both the case and bracelet are bimetal (SS and Ti)

When I had a 329 ,I also had a omega po and a dssd,and even though I really liked the 329 ,I found that if I wanted to wear a watch on a bracelet I picked one of the others,so generally wore the pams on a strap ,but you’ll have a great choice of different looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    Leather all the way
    I have worn it on rubber and it's comfortable but aesthetically not as nice IMO. Tend to choose a different watch if I'm going in the sea though- lucky enough now to have a decent choice of metal or canvas straps.
    Here's a picture of one of my home made efforts- crafted from an old military ammunition bag.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Impressive workmanship. I guess if you are making your own straps you aren't too concerned by sweat spoiling them over time. My 0088 comes with a rubber strap so it will be fun to try as I've never worn a watch on rubber berfor.

Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post
    There was 88 with bracelet in pam 161, though I think both the case and bracelet are bimetal (SS and Ti)
    I considered these but the silver subdial of the 0088 was much more attractive to me.