closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: App blocker for kid's android phone

App blocker for kid's android phone

Hi guys, so I have to give my kid a phone and want to block with password some apps. Tried a few app blockers but they suck. Any positive experiences out there?
    It.seems lime such a basic function it should be part of the default os...

Thanks!

BUBI 0_0

Master
    Why do you have to give him a smartphone? Why do you even have to give him any phone?

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Why do you have to give him a smartphone? Why do you even have to give him any phone?
    I don't want a divorce.

She's to momentarily get the family spare, I don't want her installing other crap while I stalk her

BUBI 0_0

Resistance is futile.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

This feature is built in to recent Android versions. Check out "Play Store" > Menu > "Settings" > "Parental Controls".

Just set the play store password to one of your choice and set it to need the password to install new apps. Don’t share the password with your child.

You will get nagged repeatedly to install new apps but you will have control.

Ah, the days that we carried a few spare pennies for the telephone box .... We never realised what nightmares were coming ...

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    If your kids don't have a "decent" smartphone, they will get bullied.
    One of the boys in my 11 year old's class was given an old flip phone by his mum because they didn't have much spare cash. The rest of the class now refer to him as "flip". This is in a small, well performing, well governed and well regarded school.
    All the kids at that age communicate by WhatsApp and other apps. If you try to deny it, your kids will hate you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wajhart View Post
    This feature is built in to recent Android versions. Check out "Play Store" > Menu > "Settings" > "Parental Controls".
    Just tried this but it only restricts use/downloads to kid friendly apps. I have no friendly kids. Don't want restrictions but password enable-ing :(

BUBI 0_0

Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post
    Just set the play store password to one of your choice and set it to need the password to install new apps. Don’t share the password with your child.

You will get nagged repeatedly to install new apps but you will have control.
    Yes, how do I do this? Thanks

BUBI 0_0

Master
    Don’t know if it is available for Android, but we used OurPact on iOS and it worked really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post
    Ah, the days that we carried a few spare pennies for the telephone box
    Spare pennies??? You were lucky!!!

We had to tap out the number on the hook (a skill which used to come in handy as the coin slots on the Button A / Button B telephones were often blocked....)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post

We had to tap out the number on the hook (a skill which used to come in handy as the coin slots on the Button A / Button B telephones were often blocked....)
    Yes, I well remember how to do that too....

So I may have found an app... but I can go in app drawer and uninstall it.
    And it's a good one because requires password to unlock settings and recent apps. But I can go in app drawer and uninstall it.

If I knew how to make an app I would become a billionaire!
    Any good tutorials out there?

BUBI 0_0

Master
    Blog Entries

I can still do that on my phone. It is, however, useless when confronted with an automated response menu requiring the pressing of digits.

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    Yes, how do I do this? Thanks

BUBI 0_0
    You need a google account to download apps from the play store. I’m assuming you have one?

If so are you prompted for the password for that account before installing an app?

If not, do this https://www.cnet.com/how-to/adjust-g...very-purchase/

I use kidslox for my kids’ apple devices. It allows you to control and limit pretty much anything you want. It’s very customisable. I also use it to limit their daily usage so they don’t spend too much time playing games. It works very well and you control everything from your own device. I don’t know if there is an android version. It’s worth checking though.

Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post
    You need a google account to download apps from the play store. I’m assuming you have one?

If so are you prompted for the password for that account before installing an app?

If not, do this https://www.cnet.com/how-to/adjust-g...very-purchase/
    I already set that up.... Free apps don't require the password ! Google wants my children

BUBI 0_0

​Try Qustodio my kids hate it which means it works well!

Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    I use kidslox for my kids’ apple devices. It allows you to control and limit pretty much anything you want. It’s very customisable. I also use it to limit their daily usage so they don’t spend too much time playing games. It works very well and you control everything from your own device. I don’t know if there is an android version. It’s worth checking though.
    Trouble with blocker apps is they can easily be stopped or uninstalled by anyone over... well anyone who can read.
    Trick one: show recent apps and close them all
    Trick two: enter app settings and unistall
    Trick three: long press app in app drawer to show uninstall option

I found an app to password block trick 1 and 2 but n.3 is part of the os interface :(

BUBI 0_0

Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    ​Try Qustodio my kids hate it which means it works well!
    I just read the (one star) reviews...

BUBI 0_0

Giving qustodio a go, it cannot be uninstalled, good!
    Just adds a bumch.of other passwords to confuse the kids...

BUBI 0_0

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    Trouble with blocker apps is they can easily be stopped or uninstalled by anyone over... well anyone who can read.
    I am pretty sure Kidslox cannot be uninstalled once set in child mode. It’s quite a sophisticated app.

Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    I am pretty sure Kidslox cannot be uninstalled once set in child mode. It’s quite a sophisticated app.
    I'll try it then! Thanks

BUBI 0_0

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    If your kids don't have a "decent" smartphone, they will get bullied.
    One of the boys in my 11 year old's class was given an old flip phone by his mum because they didn't have much spare cash. The rest of the class now refer to him as "flip". This is in a small, well performing, well governed and well regarded school.
    All the kids at that age communicate by WhatsApp and other apps. If you try to deny it, your kids will hate you for it.
    Full of over privileged, snobby A-Holes

I use Qustodio for both my boys - they have iPhones so I also use screen time and set that to cannot delete apps.

Qustodio uses a VPN to filter the online content which is proving a problem as school WiFi doesn’t allow VPN use so trying for a work around .

As well as blocking specific sites you can set daily limits and block out specific times .

Did that work on the old A/B button call boxes philip? On the later 7 series call boxes (1970/80's) tapping the number on the hook dialed the number but wouldn't allow the correct pulse to be sent to simulate a coin going in. In a 7 series call box you had to dial the number and once the call was connected (answered) you'd hear the rapid pips which told you to insert a coin.

The coin pulse circuit wasn't the same as the dialling pulse one, the coin pulse one had a 10kΩ resistor installed to prevent any nefarious activity.

The only perk I had when I was a postman for a couple of years back in the day was the ability to make calls for free from a call box when we were responsible for removing and replacing the coin box. Remove the full box, make your call then keep putting the same 5p through again and again, once you've finished your call put the fresh empty coin box in.

Mind you tapping a number on the hook was useful in my mates house where his mum had installed a lock on the rotary dial!