closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega 1171 Bracelet

Craftsman

Omega 1171 Bracelet

I picked up a new to me modern (2017) Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch today. I’m not a fan of the bracelet they come with and much prefer the look of the 1171 bracelet.

Can someone give a steer on where is best to pick one of these up and what should I be paying for it?

Also is there anything more I should know about fitting one on a modern watch?

Quote Originally Posted by dommorton View Post
    I picked up a new to me modern (2017) Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch today. I’m not a fan of the bracelet they come with and much prefer the look of the 1171 bracelet.

Can someone give a steer on where is best to pick one of these up and what should I be paying for it?

Also is there anything more I should know about fitting one on a modern watch?
    I understand it if you prefer a tapered bracelet to the parallel version on today's Speedies. There are alternatives to the 1171:

Craftsman
    Thank you

The 1450 looks lovely and I like the scripted clasp, but fear I will unlikely get a mint one of those for sensible money?

Thank you

The 1450 looks lovely and I like the scripted clasp, but fear I will unlikely get a mint one of those for sensible money?
    Given its age I don't think you'll find a mint 1171. You'll do better with the slightly different and later 1171/1 as it was available as a new part until recently (and maybe it still is).

I’ve also been looking at the 1171/1 for sm300 / speedy use. I believe they’re still available from Omega.

I’m a bit concerned about the hollow end links, anyone have experience of these? Looks like they don’t fit snugly & might rub / Mark the case?

They dropped the /1 now so it's just 1171 again, rrp is £360 if memory serves. And yes those end links will mark the back of the lugs.

Will it mark the polished part of the case between the lugs? That’s the bet I’m really bothered about

Craftsman
    So can any Omega AD supply me with a new 1171 with 633 end links?

It will mainly mail the back of the lugs.

So can any Omega AD supply me with a new 1171 with 633 end links?
    Yes, as well anybody with a Swatch account.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the help all. Seems a new (or if someone has a close to new) 1171 is the way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinand101 View Post
    Will it mark the polished part of the case between the lugs? That’s the bet I’m really bothered about
    It hasn't on mine. I had to file down the 633 end links to ensure a good fit between the lugs, as they come slightly larger than required. The 1171/1 is a little bit flimsy compared to the standard bracelet but so much more comfortable and far better looking.

Master
    I have one, and although I sold my speedmaster, decided to keep the 1171 bracelet in the end (as inevitable I’m likely to buy another speedmaster at some point in future). I can confirm they look great, brushed steel, silky president bracelet pattern, but they do feel very flimsy whilst handling off wrist. Once on wrist though, it feels light, secure and silky. It’s definitely not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    They dropped the /1 now so it's just 1171 again, rrp is £360 if memory serves. And yes those end links will mark the back of the lugs.
    Thanks for that. I went off to the net in order to discover any differences between the versions and found a thread on WUS...link:

- The oldest (11) 1171 clasp, 633 engraved endlinks and not original buckle cover that looks like a 1168 (29x15mm)?

- The oldest (11) 1171 clasp, 29.5x15.2mm buckle with Ω in a trapeze. This is a typical first generation 1171.

- More recent (32) 1171/1 clasp, Ω in a square, but buckle size 34x17mm as a 1162 !?

- Recent replacement (32) 1171/633 laser engraved, nothing on the endlink, Ω in a square, 33.6x16.8mm.

- Recent replacement (32) 1171 laser engraved, 633 laser engraved endlink, Ω in a square, 33.6x16.8mm.

NB these details relate to a photo showing the top and underside of 5 bracelets.

They are still available and can be ordered through ADs. I bought a set in Feb this year through Goldsmiths costing £335, the part no for the 1171/633 set is 020ST1171633. Took a couple of week's to come through.

Grand Master
    Don’t waste your money!

The original 1171 bracelets weren’t good by modern standards, and the Omega replacements are significantly worse. They were OK when they sold for around £60 12 years ago, but there’s no way I’d pay the current price for what is essentially a cheap copy despite the Omega packaging.

Getting these things to fit is a skill in itself, the end pieces always need a bit of adjustment. Think carefully before spending your money in the pursuit of misty-eyed nostalgia, the modern bracelets are far better.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Don’t waste your money!

The original 1171 bracelets weren’t good by modern standards, and the Omega replacements are significantly worse. They were OK when they sold for around £60 12 years ago, but there’s no way I’d pay the current price for what is essentially a cheap copy despite the Omega packaging.

Getting these things to fit is a skill in itself, the end pieces always need a bit of adjustment. Think carefully before spending your money in the pursuit of misty-eyed nostalgia, the modern bracelets are far better.
    SIGH!!!! Yes everything was better in 1953.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    SIGH!!!! Yes everything was better in 1953.
    I don’t make this up! I’ve bought and fitted the bloody things and that’s why I know how poor they are!

OP’s got an idea in his head that an 1171 would look nicer on his watch, I can understand that, but once he’s handled one he might change his mind.

Craftsman
    Interesting (experienced) insight thank you.

I did wonder about them with all the talk of filing the end links. I expected lighter and a bit rattly given its construction, but not poorly made. Lightness is quite appealing as overall the Speedmaster has surprised me with its heft.

It is all about the look though. In pics at least I think the bracelet looks far better than the modern equivalent.

The 1479 bracelet looks pretty good too as it retains those nice rounded links. Are these better made and would I have a hope of finding a tidy one for sensible cash?

Well I bought the early original version with the trapeze logo from SC a while ago for my vintage Speedmaster, yes it feels a bit tinny and nowhere near as well made as say the current bracelet that is supplied with the Speedmaster but it does look good once on the watch.

I think it helps that it is a vintage unpolished watch with a vintage bracelet, a new shiny Speedmaster with an original worn in 1171 might not work as well.

Here is mine

I don't think the 1171 is that bad. Yes is lighter and less well made than the original, and the end links fit much better with a slight file to the edges, but once on the wrist it looks great and is more comfortable than the modern speedy bracelets IMO.

I've owned both and my preference is the 1171. They are definitely overpriced for what they are but as long as you know what you're getting in to you just have to move past that.

Interesting (experienced) insight thank you.

I did wonder about them with all the talk of filing the end links. I expected lighter and a bit rattly given its construction, but not poorly made. Lightness is quite appealing as overall the Speedmaster has surprised me with its heft.

It is all about the look though. In pics at least I think the bracelet looks far better than the modern equivalent.

The 1479 bracelet looks pretty good too as it retains those nice rounded links. Are these better made and would I have a hope of finding a tidy one for sensible cash?
    I can only recommend the 1479.
    It’s well made.
    It has a vintage touch but with solid links and end-links.
    Not rattling, but way lighter than modern bracelets.
    Here it is on a modern Speedy:

Drawbacks?
    Yes, some. Clasp can open although rarely unwanted, just like previous models I’m guessing.
    Some say it’s pulling hair on wrist - not really to me.
    The end- links had to be filed for fit to a modern Speedy.

Craftsman
    Yep that works for me

I wonder if I can find one for a sensible price and in good enough condition to mirror my ‘as new’ watch.

Journeyman
    I love the looks of 1171 too. It is indeed noisy and feels cheap. But for the comfort and appearance , I accept its weakness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am wearing my pre-moon 145.012-67 Speedmaster on a 1479 bracelet and thinks it looks ace (and is very comfortable):

(The missing pusher has been replaced in the meantime...)
    Last edited by Raffe; 24th April 2019 at 19:34. Reason: corrected bracelt type. D'oh!
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I am wearing my pre-moon 145.012-67 Speedmaster on a 1463 bracelet and thinks it looks ace (and is very comfortable):

Lovely patina, it would look better with a new bezel though, tell you what i'll give you £20 and send you a new modern one for it

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Lovely patina, it would look better with a new bezel though, tell you what i'll give you £20 and send you a new modern one for it
    Are you saying I could trade it against an original WWI era Pocket Watch strap? Sounds tempting.

I am wearing my pre-moon 145.012-67 Speedmaster on a 1463 bracelet and thinks it looks ace (and is very comfortable):

Lovely PreMoon with a rather cheap DON bezel:-)
    I had mine on earlier in the day.

Are you saying I could trade it against an original WWI era Pocket Watch strap? Sounds tempting.
    I think you could, I can see a trade made in heaven between two forum stalwarts.. or maybe one of those fantastic worn T Shirts!
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 24th April 2019 at 16:38.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    I think you could, I can see a trade made in heaven between two forum stalwarts.. or maybe one of those fantastic worn T Shirts!
    Let them trade strap against t-shirt, indeed a trade made in heaven.

Reading through all the knowledgeable posts here, I wondered if any of you guys could recommend the bracelet type that would go with a new Ultraman?
    Thanks

Craftsman

What’s the difference between a 1463 as you have and a 1479? They look the same to me.

Agree it looks great. I’m ordering a new 1171 to try out. I agree expensive for what it is, but it’s a genuine part so doesn’t surprise me too much and would sell for roughly RRP if it isn’t for me.

These 1463 and 1479 look great. Much nicer than the modern one to my eye. Just very hard to find at all, let alone good ones that would be in keeping with my almost as new Speedmaster.

What’s the difference between a 1463 as you have and a 1479? They look the same to me.
    That's a good question, especially because the 1463 never existed. It is obviously a 1479, sorry for my error.

Grand Master
    1479 is a nice bracelet, good quality and suits the watch well. That’s where my money would be going if I had to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Reading through all the knowledgeable posts here, I wondered if any of you guys could recommend the bracelet type that would go with a new Ultraman?
    Thanks
    As a Speedmaster I believe most of Omega's vintage tapered bracelets (see links posted above) would go with the watch. If you trying for the original, I think you're looking for a 1039/516 (again see the links for more info). Why do I say that? From the date of the original issue 1967/68 (Omega) and the illustration in their article...link. See also this link for "Besides the orange hand, it is a pretty normal Speedmaster 145.012-67 with all characteristics of that reference: calibre 321 movement, DO90 bezel, 1039 bracelet etc." One more link for reference...Speedmaster101 resource page.

Craftsman
    That's a good question, especially because the 1463 never existed. It is obviously a 1479, sorry for my error.
    Ha fair enough. Thanks for confirming. Saved me searching for one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    As a Speedmaster I believe most of Omega's vintage tapered bracelets (see links posted above) would go with the watch. If you trying for the original, I think you're looking for a 1039/516 (again see the links for more info). Why do I say that? From the date of the original issue 1967/68 (Omega) and the illustration in their article...link. See also this link for "Besides the orange hand, it is a pretty normal Speedmaster 145.012-67 with all characteristics of that reference: calibre 321 movement, DO90 bezel, 1039 bracelet etc." One more link for reference...Speedmaster101 resource page.
    I don’t love the flat bracelet. The rounded links really make the look for me.

Which one’s that please?

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Which one’s that please?
    There are several options with rounded links, I believe. As before...follow the links.

Thank you
    I was being a bit lazy

Craftsman
    Ok so just popped this on. I say I popped it on, it was a bit of a pain in the arse sorting the end links!

Brand new from Omega 020ST1171633

It's a bit overpriced and yes it's a bit light weight and cheap feeling, but damn. Just wow. It completes the watch for me. Delighted.

Last edited by dommorton; 4th May 2019 at 14:57.

Ok so just popped this on. I say I popped it on, it was a bit of a pain in the arse sorting the end links!

Brand new from Omega 020ST1171633

It's a bit overpriced and yes it's a bit light weight and cheap feeling, but damn. Just wow. It completes the watch for me. Delighted.

How much was it?

Craftsman
    £340 for the set

£340 for the set
    Doesn’t sound bad to me! A used one would be £250 at least I would think! I might pop in and order one myself. Was this from Omega or via an AD?

Craftsman
    I got it from Omega, but AD's can supply too I understand.

I got it from Omega, but AD's can supply too I understand.
    Would you mind posting a picture of the clasp too please? I am considering one of these

Craftsman
    Sorry I didn’t get any decent pics of the clasp.

Here’s one of it in the packet before fitting it up.

Sorry I didn’t get any decent pics of the clasp.

Here’s one of it in the packet before fitting it up.

Thanks a lot appreciate the quick reply