closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A Grand Seiko, 15 years on...

A Grand Seiko, 15 years on...

I hadn’t really intended this snap, taken on Saturday, as anything more than an aide memoire in considering the SBGW231 vs 235 - but looking at it after the fact I’m surprised by how fresh my 15 year old SBGX009 looks next to the two brand-new hand-winders... to the extent that it has somewhat punctured my desire to add one of the newer watches.

Given that the 9f/9s isn’t really part of the consideration here, what do you all think?

Your 009 still looks good, and I think it is a slightly better size. Having said that, the 231 is an amazing watch, and one I would love to have.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually in terms of looks, I prefer your SBGX009. It's much more balanced with the text at the bottom and I prefer the thicker lug-case integration.

Master
    It’s perhaps no surprise because Grand Seiko have made real efforts to maintain the look of the classic sixties designs....so the originsls never appear dated. They got it right first time .

Thanks for the comments

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Your 009 still looks good, and I think it is a slightly better size. Having said that, the 231 is an amazing watch, and one I would love to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The size of the SBGX009 has really grown on me, and the more reserved case height from the 9f in particular. That said, the cases on the 231/5 (which I believe to be identical to one another) is pleasing conservative and fits well to my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan View Post
    Actually in terms of looks, I prefer your SBGX009. It's much more balanced with the text at the bottom and I prefer the thicker lug-case integration.
    Well, the text balance is a separate issue I guess (I could always track down, say, an SBGW031 rather than 231) and very much down to individual taste... but I suppose I do agree about the different lug/case integration - not for any inherent reason, but simply because it’s uniquely GS, whilst the others look that little bit more generic in case/bezel/lug profile, though still very beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    It’s perhaps no surprise because Grand Seiko have made real efforts to maintain the look of the classic sixties designs....so the originsls never appear dated. They got it right first time .
    Can’t disagree 👍

... now, bit more thinking to do!!

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The GS SBGW001 bears a striking resemblance to a particular vintage Omega Seamaster.

A lot of effort has gone into the case of the SBGX009. The result is a versatile watch offering enduring pleasure and one I would happily wear for the office.
    The SBGW001 is quite exquisite, almost unbearably so and if your wardrobe is anything like mine, may be at risk of becoming a safe queen.

Craftsman
    All lovely, if quartz is not and issue, then unless you have a behemoth wrist consider something else. However I'm a sucker for a blued second hand.