closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vertigo

Vertigo

Went away at the weekend to the Cotswolds for the first time. Sitting in a local pub on Saturday night and I turned my head round to the left to look at a sign at the bar, when I turned my head back I came over all queasy. Minutes later the room started spinning which came and went for the next 30 minutes or so. Managed to get back to the accommodation and hell came over! The vision was really spinning, felt sick and dizzy. Spent the next 3 hours over the toilet vomiting. In the end we had to call an ambulance who took me to A&E. After an excruciating 4 hour wait I was diagnosed with BPPV - Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo, at this time I was able to get up and walk and was sent home with a FAQ. Spent all day Sunday in bed just feeling queasy and in the evening the spinning returned and had to call an emergency doctor who manipulated my head in various positions and gave me some sickness pills. It’s Monday night and starting to feel human again but I’ve never felt anything like it. I’ve had migraines since a teenager which have subsided and less frequent as I have aged but that was a walk in the park compared to this.

Has anyone experienced BPPV before and is there a way of preventing them? I never want to go through that again.

Btw Cotswolds is a lovely place from the little I saw of it.

Craftsman
    Yes, I’ve had this several times over the last few years. Generally I’m a complete write-off for 24 hours, a bit wobbly for another day or so and the fine for another few months.

Its really horrible but at least I now know it won’t last long.

Master
    I had exactly the same experience the 1st time but fortunately I was in my own bed at the time but it was still terrifying,like being in an earthquake and the floor collapsing under me.
    I still get them occasionally now usually when I’m working on my back and have to warn customers just in case,it’s like being incredibly drunk when the room spins.
    I know the triggers now for me,too much alcohol affects the fluid in my inner ear,or working too hard for too long up and down on the floor and dehydrated.
    I sometimes dread going to bed and waking up,tend to move very slowly in bed and opening my eyes slowly.
    It gets better once you know it’s not something horrendous.
    There are a few videos on You Tube which show you how to reset the calcium deposit into an area where it’s not affecting your balance yourself but it is pretty frightening the 1st few times you do it.
    https://youtu.be/Dd07LlkzdeU
    Last edited by SeePee; 22nd April 2019 at 20:31. Reason: Add4d link

Had vertigo a few times over the years though symptoms not as bad as OP’s. I liken it to being drunk - get up too quickly or move suddenly and the room starts spinning etc.
    Generally lasts for a week or so, gradually getting less severe and doesn’t reappear for months a year or even longer.

Yes being drunk is another way of describing it but amplified. Last time I was sick that much was when I drank too much whisky!

Master
    Just watched another video which seems to have a lot of success:
    https://youtu.be/mQR6b7CAiqk

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Had vertigo a few times over the years though symptoms not as bad as OP’s. I liken it to being drunk - get up too quickly or move suddenly and the room starts spinning etc.
    Generally lasts for a week or so, gradually getting less severe and doesn’t reappear for months a year or even longer.
    I've had a few bouts of what sounds like that, but almost always when I sit up on the edge of the bed in the morning, and the rooms spins scarily. The GP at the time suggested it was benign vertigo and nothing to worry about. No vomiting or anything like that. It passes after a few weeks. Maybe I'm too vigorous with the Q-tips!

Craftsman
    Could it be this, Benign Positional Vertigo? I'm no professional but it sounds like it.

I've had it once or twice and there's an exercise you do a few times that clears it in a day or two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign...tional_vertigo

(Disclaimer: obviously dont take medical advice off an internet forum but go and see your doc if you're worried.)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    Just watched another video which seems to have a lot of success:
    https://youtu.be/mQR6b7CAiqk
    Yes, I did something like this exercise every 6hrs or so and the spin went away after about a day.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Could it be this, Benign Positional Vertigo? I'm no professional but it sounds like it.

I've had it once or twice and there's an exercise you do a few times that clears it in a day or two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign...tional_vertigo

(Disclaimer: obviously dont take medical advice off an internet forum but go and see your doc if you're worried.)
    Yes it was diagnosed as BPPV - Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo at A&E.

Had a couple of episodes of this
    Bloody unpleasant if not quite frightening the first time
    The Ellet manoeuvre seems to work for me

I've had it a couple of times, felt like vomiting and had to be helped downstairs by my wife.

Doc gave me sickness pills and I had to sit with my head perfectly still. Went after a couple of days.

Really debilitating.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Craftsman
    I have had Labyrinthitis more times than I care to recall - how did they diagnose your condition cf Labyrinthitis which is viral ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

BPPV is usually self limiting and gets better on its own within a couple of days. Unfortunately, it can be recurrent. Hallpike manouver or something similar to get the debris back into the utricle can help shorten the duration of attack.

Journeyman
    happened to my wife once. I treated it with herbal medicine which seemed to work well after 5 days - however attacks can be self limiting, so there is no way of being absolutely certain the herbs sorted it. In her case, it does come back occasionally (and is usually resolved the same way) and we can identify common triggers for her - a combination of tiredness and elevated stress levels, and oddly enough cheese (ok in small amounts).

Master
    I can speak from personal experience 4 weeks ago with my wife. Started Sunday night feeling a bit dizzy. By Monday morning she had passed out on the bathroom floor. Quick trip to Urgent care revealed BBpv eg calcium deposits in the wrong place.

We had real success with the Eply manoeuvre BUT you need to know which ear is effected. The way the doctor did that with my wife was to , from a sitting up position on a bed drop her head back to horizontal really quickly. The first time she had to look left at 90 degrees second right. Whichever side is effected will evidence by two things, you will feel really dizzy and in my wifes case her eyes were darting from side to side.

So if you know which side try the Epley manoeuvre every 4 hours. Its very gentle and it meant my wife could recover without any medication.

One thing we stumbled upon was rather than sitting still it is better to go out on a walk as the brain takes in a full panorama rather than just say the wall or floor.

Lastly the nurse at ENT said you should avoid sitting still, no matter how nauseous it makes you feel, she pointed out the brain has now started to receive erroneous signals from your ears and it starts to learn them! You have to avoid this they said by doing neck and head exercises and low and behold going for a walk.

Good luck with the condition, my wife was woozy for at least a week and didn’t drive, its not a quick fix.

I've had Labyrinthitis twice, first time I ended up in hospital the first time... I collapsed in a car park. The second time was at Christmas this year, that led to three days in bed. As others have stated, there's no cure, but you have to try and get up and move. Eye exercises do seem to help, but are tough to do when the rooms spinning. My Mum gets it, so it my be hereditary? It took me at least a week to get over my last episode, its just one of those things but ghastly if you get it.

Master
    Sometimes it can be triggered by irritants such as a smokey fire, wood dust, paper dust etc. I can't use those "woodsmoked" open cooking restaurants. Even some of those scented candles have me wheezing and spinning. :(