closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MacBook advice which one?

Master
    Blog Entries

MacBook advice which one?

I need to replace my MacBook Pro. General surfing and office is what I use it for, do I really need a pro or should I just get an air? I’ll be flying from LHR T5 next week and a 13inch 256 pro for £1249 seems a good price.

Looking at it they are cheaper again in the Apple store in HK, £1127 at today’s exchange rate. Has anyone bought from the airport in HK? Would that be cheaper again?
    Last edited by Middo; 22nd April 2019 at 19:11.

Master
    I read a review the other day on this very question. The new chip set and retina screen in the new air mean that it’s probably as good as the pro and £50 cheaper.

I would never get the new air when compared to the pro. You'll be doing yourself over in the long run. Price gap needs to be a lot more to justify air.

Craftsman
    If you're just browsing and using office why not go for the Microsoft Surface?

Between the two Mac's get the pro for the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have been using MAC OS for a long as I can remember, way before the iPod. I don’t really want to change.

Master
    Hong Kong Airport does not always sell electronic items at RRP or cheaper than in town (although Apple products are usually the same price everywhere in HK) and may not have the model you want, if you are spending time in HK I suggest you go and buy at one of the Apple stores or authorised retailers (Broadway, Chung Yuen, Fortress - chain shops like Currys/Dixon).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, from memory I remover the airport being expensive.

Master
    The 13” MacBook Air is an amazing bit of equipment, key is do you travel? If so I am using the 12” macbook and a 12” IPad Pro and the two replace my 15” pro for my every day uses.

I have both the 12” and air the key is the extra usb c port and the Touch ID. The screen is better in the 12” as it really is bright in contrast, but you will only notice this is you have both in front of you. If you don’t you won’t notice IMHO. Performance wise if all you is browse the web, FaceTime lives ones whilst away and watch Netflix then yeh air has the edge with the better FaceTime camera and dual mics. If you type a lot the new air keyboard is lovely and it being a larger machine helps balance on your lap.

Battery life wise my 12” lasts me constantly 9hrs-10 hrs.
    On paper the air is more powerful however I have not found the 12” lacking in any way. This is all my own opinions based on use since dec.

Before buying any current MacBook you should read this article:

https://www.wsj.com/graphics/apple-s...board-problem/

If you decide to still buy one, I would get AppleCare in case you have issues with the keyboard.

Some other reading on the subject:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/27/...oard-problems/
    https://theoutline.com/post/6409/the...=1&zi=67aak4ic
    https://theoutline.com/post/7315/app...=1&zi=frilhyqq

I should add that I am a long term Apple user with an iPhone X, iPad Pro 11” and a 15” MacBook Pro 2012. My kids have iPads as well. I would have upgraded my MacBook more than a year ago were it not for these keyboard issues.

Master
    To counter the above argument I have had every Macbook since my first in 2000. I upgrade every revision and for yes the 1st gen keyboards were rubbish. The 2nd and 3rd have not been to bad, I travel worldwide to sun interesting hot and hot desert climates where dust is rife in the air my laptops are still going and with the warranty on the keyboards, I would let that be a reason not to buy.

I got more crumbs and dust on the older keyboard and used to invest in keyboard covers. Forever pulling keys of to clean them.

Master
    Can you afford to hold on? WWDC is in June and most likely there will be new hardware getting released.

But if you need one now get the pro but not the most entry level.. check the specs as all but the lower spec had a CPU refresh last year but the entry level one didn’t get touched and also still has the older version of the butterfly keyboard without the rubber membrane.

And take out AppleCare+ as stated as keyboard issues are a real concern on this generation of MBP.

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    The 2nd and 3rd have not been to bad, I travel worldwide to sun interesting hot and hot desert climates where dust is rife in the air my laptops are still going and with the warranty on the keyboards, I would let that be a reason not to buy.
    The current model MacBook Pro and MacBook Air are not covered by the extended repair program. This is why AppleCare+ is an essential purchase. The cost to repair a sticking key is more than £500.

It’s worth looking at Apple refurbished stock. All my Apple computers have been refurbished and have been as good as new:

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurb...ir-macbook-pro

Make sure you check the model year before buying though.

It’s also worth thinking about what keyboard layout you will get when buying abroad. I suspect you won’t be able to get a UK keyboard in Hong Kong.
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 23rd April 2019 at 12:34.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    If you're just browsing and using office why not go for the Microsoft Surface?

Between the two Mac's get the pro for the long run.

I wouldn’t, we’ve had the Surface models 4, 5 and now on 6, the most unreliable mobile kit we’ve ever used. And the peripherals! The TYPE keyboard cover, pencil and ARC mouse are even worse, many we’ve had don’t last 9 months.

We get more support calls for the Surface than any other piece of kit in our estate of over 6500 units
    Last edited by nunya; 23rd April 2019 at 12:50.

Master
    My mac mini finally came to the end of it's tether with xcode and MacOs so I got a new 13inch 256gb MBPro over the holiday weekend and have spent this morning setting it up.
    Personally I prefer windows PC's and would (and did) go for a dell xps as my main office laptop, however if you are wedded to the apple ecosystem then the 13 inch MBPro is your best bet.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    I wouldn’t, we’ve had the Surface models 4, 5 and now on 6, the most unreliable mobile kit we’ve ever used. And the peripherals! The TYPE keyboard cover, pencil and ARC mouse are even worse, many we’ve had don’t last 9 months.

We get more support calls for the Surface than any other piece of kit in our estate of over 6500 units
    Sorry should have said the surface laptop!

I had the surface pro with the detachable keyboard, worked ok but the Surface laptops been on par with the my old Mac pro.

Most surface users I know complain because they forget the screen is touch screen are pointing.

Note on the Apple care it's worth getting due to the global replacement and fixes?

I replaced my Air last year with the generation before this one (if that makes sense?).

Do not do anything that has a huge draw on processor or video card - battery life is great.

Prefer the keyboard to the wife's latest MBP, I only do mail, social, Word, Excel and a couple of other stuff so it suits me fine for now.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I’ve been running a 12” MacBook for three years now. No problems at all. Does everything I need it to which is similar to yourself. Great screen, battery life is good and it’s wonderfully portable. The only gripe is only one USB-C port but you can work round that.

I’ve also had no issues with the keyboard.

Master
    Blog Entries
    All thanks for the info, I am going to hold off and see what they release for the new models. Will probably stick with a pro.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Sorry should have said the surface laptop!

I had the surface pro with the detachable keyboard, worked ok but the Surface laptops been on par with the my old Mac pro.

Most surface users I know complain because they forget the screen is touch screen are pointing.

Note on the Apple care it's worth getting due to the global replacement and fixes?

I wouldn't even get a Surface Laptop, silly heavy, massively over priced for the spec.

personally I'd go for a Lenovo X1-carbon with touch screen, much lighter and cheaper.

I second what Phil Lee said about Apple Refurbished- scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will find the refurbished section- you will save £200 on your MacBook and still get it direct from Apple