closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone have Apple TV?

Anyone have Apple TV?

Just a question, i have a new OLED Smart TV, I was wondering with the apps that come with it is it worth purchasing Apple TV also, don’t have Sky or Bt but do have Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer already built into the smart tv’s apps.

So is it worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I thought you could add extra Apps to a smart TV in the same way as you can to the Apple TV. I thought the Apple TV effectively converted a dumb TV into a smart one. I could be wrong of course.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, read a few reviews saying they are still beneficial to a smart tv owner, but I really don’t understand what it would bring over a modern smart tv?

As I understand - apps will only work on Android smart tv
    I have a Sony
    So cannot get now tv on it
    Hence Apple TV
    Good bit of kit
    Cheap second hand

Master
    I have Apple TV, and find it really good. That said I'm sure all of the non-Apple apps will be on Smart TVs or Android boxes.

It is very good for Apple Photos, Movies etc., and at least for me the apps (e.g. Youtube) are better on the ATV than on my SmartTV (Samsung)

I have a couple 4k and Hd and have a 2 panasonic tv's and the atv is a lot better than the tv's i watch nowtv,netflix,amazon and of course apple movies which with codes from USA really tips it for me

I use it for accessing my iTunes library. For Netflix I access through virgin.

Master
    I bought one for connectivity to the Sonos, iPhones, iPads and for travelling - we have a samsung smart TV that is about 3 years old so decent enough apps which we use regularly although they sometimes get stuck and we revert to the apple tv

Craftsman
    Really only use mine for streaming YouTube videos from my IPad

Master
    I have one. I tend to use it now in preference to the TV apps and my Xbox as it is just simpler and quicker to use. Generally any TV make gets its app support dropped far quicker than an external box. It is maybe better these days than it was in that regards but probably still holds true. For any app the support you have may differ by brand of tv or stb in terms of features eg HDR, Dolby Vision etc. The ATV is also pretty wife friendly in operation which might be a consideration. ATV is also very popular if you are building a streaming library due to the way in which they have regular sales and update HD versions to 4K for free.

I always use my ATV and never the build in apps in my smart TV. The smart TV's only get a few updates and then there is new models that the manufacturer focus at, not the old ones.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    Really only use mine for streaming YouTube videos from my IPad
    You can do that direct within the app to most TVs now. My Panasonic does it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    You can do that direct within the app to most TVs now. My Panasonic does it.
    Yeah- mines a bit old for that!

I'm not that up on Apple TV, so I assume you buy the box and have certain content available through it which is free. Is there a subscription etc and if so what for ?

Master
    Our Samsung TV has the usual apps built in (BBC, Netflix, Amazon etc), so we use those for viewing films etc.
    Where the Apple TV is useful, is that we can push whatever is on an Apple device (iPad, iPhone etc) to the TV via the Apple TV box.

Pete.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    Our Samsung TV has the usual apps built in (BBC, Netflix, Amazon etc), so we use those for viewing films etc.
    Where the Apple TV is useful, is that we can push whatever is on an Apple device (iPad, iPhone etc) to the TV via the Apple TV box.

Pete.
    This.

I have an LG TV that I can use the apps for and also Miracast from my android device (flixster video bluray download). The iPads don't let me Miracast on that app and Apple TV will sort this.

Hmmm I’m not convinced it’s worth the £150 ish quid for me tbh, appreciate all the comments from everyone...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Hmmm I’m not convinced it’s worth the £150 ish quid for me tbh, appreciate all the comments from everyone...

I think you are right. We are still using the previous version of Apple TV, which was selling for £50 just before it was phased out. Still works fine though.

Pete

Master
    It’s useful for renting movies from iTunes, as well as keeping Netflix, Amazon Prime, iPlayer etc all in one place, all searchable by voice control on the remote or your phone. The interface and remote are also more convenient and elegant than using apps on a smart TV.

4K, HDR and all the various surround formats are getting correctly sent to my home cinema amp, and there’s a useful ‘reduce loud sounds’ feature for high dynamic range movies that could annoy your neighbours (it’s not perfect as if anything it’s a little too effective, but it’s useful). Streaming things to the TV from a phone / iPad is also handy, though for music, Bluetooth to the amp (or smart speakers) seems more reliable.

In my case, it’s also a hub to run HomeKit, so it’s coordinating Philips Hue lights and switches, and Eve smart plugs. Alexa could do this too (and probably with cheaper accessories) but if you’re an iPhone user, it’s a convenient remote control for HomeKit and you can set scenes with voice control (eg ‘Hey Siri, evening lighting’ or ‘Hey Siri, turn the anglepoise up a bit’). Once a month or two I need to restart the Apple TV if a hue switch gets lost, otherwise it all works very smoothly (a HomePod can also do the same thing but is more expensive).

Finally, since I’m also running a projector - yes I am a total home cinema geek - the Apple
    TV is helpful as you don’t want the TV on to play a movie, you need a box that’s feeding the home cinema receiver, that can either feed the TV or the projector.

Clearly if you just want to be able to watch Netflix then your smart TV is fine. But for anything more complex, the Apple TV makes it all simpler and more pleasant. Compared to alternatives it feels quite luxurious, and it’s also surprisingly affordable for an Apple product.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 24th April 2019 at 10:33. Reason: Autocorredjjbdjbuhsvjvs

The main apps I use on my Apple TV are the ones for watching baseball and ice hockey. They aren't available on my LG OLED TV. I also watch iTunes movies on it. I watch Netflix, Amazon and YouTube using the apps on my TV.