closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Aviators.. 55mm or 58mm??

Aviators.. 55mm or 58mm??

I don't have a particularly big head.

Just after some advice which to go for really?

Happy Easter Monday to all! :)

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by senraw; 31st January 2020 at 18:49.

Less is more

See your WTB is up, have you considered Randolph aviators? A lot of folk think they're a superior design to Ray-Bans, myself included.

BTW mine are 52mm and my head is Neanderthal, had the same question as you on size and saw lots suggesting to go smaller. I did start big 58mm or so and indeed had the instant Jackie Onassis look, not good!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    See your WTB is up, have you considered Randolph aviators? A lot of folk think they're a superior design to Ray-Bans, myself included.

BTW mine are 52mm and my head is Neanderthal, had the same question as you on size and saw lots suggesting to go smaller. I did start big 58mm or so and indeed had the instant Jackie Onassis look, not good!
    Cheers for the advice, I'll check them out.

Thank you. :)

Master
    Caravans, less common.

I’ve got 55 aviators in classic gold & G15. Wanted to buy the caravans, but would wear them for the same occasions & don’t need 2 pairs! Wife won’t wear them, so will look to sell soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Caravans, less common.

I’ve got 55 aviators in classic gold & G15. Wanted to buy the caravans, but would wear them for the same occasions & don’t need 2 pairs! Wife won’t wear them, so will look to sell soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Would prefer stainless really, but please PM me some details and a price and we could strike a deal! :)

See your WTB is up, have you considered Randolph aviators? A lot of folk think they're a superior design to Ray-Bans, myself included
    I have to agree with this Randolph or American Optics are better than Rayban Aviators IMO. The lenses distort colour less which is important to me. They are not as dark as Rayban G15 lenses however. They are also a fair bit cheaper.

Craftsman
    I know that Randolph's used to be fairly easy to find in good optitions, but I've really struggled to find any decent online range selection anywhere on the back of this post. Especially polarised versions.

Anyone recommend a good source?

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

https://youtu.be/z7JYzdvAb3k

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Kidsteruk View Post
    I know that Randolph's used to be fairly easy to find in good optitions, but I've really struggled to find any decent online range selection anywhere on the back of this post. Especially polarised versions.

Anyone recommend a good source?

Try Transair Pilot Shop - transair.co.uk

I always feel that, on men, aviators shouldn’t be wider than your head.

Oversize ones look good on girls, but not so much on men. I recommend getting the closest match to head width without going wider, then adjusting the nose pads to get them to sit horizontally and at the right height for you.

People often forget that last bit. Most noses aren’t perfectly straight or symmetrical, and people often end up with wonky sunglasses (or lifting them with their cheeks when they smile) because they didn’t do that last bit of fine tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The flightstore in West Yorkshire has Randolfs in the sale. Had some for 30 years now only thing that was pinched out my car when someone took it one night.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

They don't stock Randolph but I find Mister Spex pretty good on pricing

www.misterspex.co.uk

Note 8% if you go via Quidco and they always have further discounts e.g. 15% off today with code msxuf6tj2wz9

Jump the Gun in Brighton stock American Optical https://jumpthegun.co.uk/product/ame...ot-sunglasses/

Master
    They don't stock Randolph but I find Mister Spex pretty good on pricing

www.misterspex.co.uk

Note 8% if you go via Quidco and they always have further discounts e.g. 15% off today with code msxuf6tj2wz9
    I’ve used these guys a lot for both glasses and sunglasses. For anyone needing prescription raybans have a look at spex4less as they offer genuine RB lenses with the logo etc, and about £100 cheaper than RB themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get Randolph and AO on Amazon. If you’re wondering about size, it’s also worth grabbing a pair of the fapir copies there first - they’ll give you a good sense of the fit, and are actually a very decent pair of polarized beaters :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    You can get Randolph and AO on Amazon. If you’re wondering about size, it’s also worth grabbing a pair of the fapir copies there first - they’ll give you a good sense of the fit, and are actually a very decent pair of polarized beaters :)
    Reading the fapir reviews doesn’t fill me with confidence even for beaters

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Reading the fapir reviews doesn’t fill me with confidence even for beaters
    You might be misreading them then... interpreting Amazon reviews is an art form :)

Craftsman
    Great recommendations, thanks all

55mm is the sweet spot for me.

Massdrop currently have Randolph Aviators for $100 (+$5.75 shipping to UK) in a range of styles, sizes and colours. Previously I went for the cheaper AO option, so pleased to be able to try RE now.

I agree...55mm is the right size for me. Ray Ban Caravans are definitely worth consideration...they are still aviator-like but a bit more subtle.

I used to buy a lot of American Optical aviators because they were always excellent value at the american military base stores (“BX”). On my last visit to one, they don’t sell AO any more but replaced the brand with Eagle Eyes. They are definitely worth checking out as a good value for money aviator. Their aviator range is “Freedom” and the US site has 55mm version on special offer at $23.98 (plus $19.99 shipping). Ridiculous price for the spec.

Journeyman
    check out Mauii Jim too. they do nice aviators and i think the lens are far better than rayban - most sunglasses seem to distort things slightly for me, whereas Mauii Jim do not

Grand Master

I have both mentioned above,I prefer the Randolphs too.Mine have some flying history as they were actually bought off a US pilot who wore them in his jet.
    Cant remember the last time I wore the Rays tbh!.

Another vote for Randolph here. Build quality of the frames is excellent and the lenses are extremely good for driving and general outdoors. Mine are 55mm, plenty big. Matt chrome, polarised, grey glass. They look very good.

Blog Entries
    AO’s now come with plastic lenses so I would swerve those, I have a pair of black frame Randolph’s and they are superb. The reason you will struggle to find polarised Randolph aviators is pilots cannot wear polarised glasses (head up displays and instrumentation would disappear).