closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple Watch four years on

Apple Watch four years on

On Wednesday, it will be 4 years since the Apple Watch was released. Love it or hate it, one can't deny the impact it's had.

What does everyone think four years on and has your opinion changed from when you first saw it?

Master
    It looks kind of cool. I am a big Apple fan/fan boy but the battery life stops me buying it. Needing to charge it every day would be annoying and may not even last a very long cycle/hike.

My Garmin Fenix 5 on the other hand lasts about 10 days off of one charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by inkiboo View Post
    On Wednesday, it will be 4 years since the Apple Watch was released. Love it or hate it, one can't deny the impact it's had.

What does everyone think four years on and has your opinion changed from when you first saw it?
    Rubbish then. Rubbish now. I had a mk2 and while it was pretty good for maps and swimming I didn’t like having to charge it every day (so couldn’t wear it at night). All of the clock dials were ugly and the fitness rings thing was just an annoying useless gimmick.

I use a g shock for when a mech isn’t appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    It looks kind of cool. I am a big Apple fan/fan boy but the battery life stops me buying it. Needing to charge it every day would be annoying and may not even last a very long cycle/hike.

My Garmin Fenix 5 on the other hand lasts about 10 days off of one charge.
    Have a mk4 with 4G and it uses about 30% of power during the day.

Journeyman
    I bought the new one as supposedly it had features to make it usable when out on the water, I live next to the sea and love going kayaking. Took it out for a spin and the first bit of moisture on the screen rendered it unusable, I couldn’t control it! The same if you sweat when doing sport, the moisture stops you being able to control it.

Terrible device.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Justdate View Post
    I bought the new one as supposedly it had features to make it usable when out on the water, I live next to the sea and love going kayaking. Took it out for a spin and the first bit of moisture on the screen rendered it unusable, I couldn’t control it! The same if you sweat when doing sport, the moisture stops you being able to control it.

Terrible device.

There’s a water mode which basically turns the screen off (so it doesn’t behave erratically). But that does stop you from controlling it while it’s wet yeah.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
    There’s a water mode which basically turns the screen off (so it doesn’t behave erratically). But that does stop you from controlling it while it’s wet yeah.

Yes, I still needed to control and view it. Kayaking shouldn’t be going in the water in general so it was only a few droplets from any splashes, but still rendered it unusable!

Have bought a G Shock for this season on the water and other outdoor pursuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
    Rubbish then. Rubbish now.

Bit harsh but just about sums it up for me.
    I always wonder when I see someone wearing one- do they really get much practical use out of it or are they laboring under the mistaken impression that they are sporting the latest 'cool thing'?
    IMO, ordinary looks (Samsung smart watches look far better though I am an iPhone user), limited practical application ( for me), charging issues etc make it a totally unattractive proposition.
    But they have sold tons- so obviously there are people who think differently:-)

Master
    Do not have one, do not need one and do not want one.

Like them or loathe them, there is no denying their popularity.

https://www.businessinsider.com/appl...18-2?r=US&IR=T
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I’m a massive Apple fanboy (iSheep) and always dismissed the Apple Watch since I preferred mechanicals. Why would I want another iPhone on my wrist, right?

After my first son was born last year I totally changed my attitude towards my own fitness, and the Apple Watch was the perfect candidate for me to help me on my fitness journey. I’ve worn a AW3 for each workout since I started C25K last year and it now joins me on my regular runs and MTB rides. The fitness rings I agree are a little gimmick-y, but the monthly challenges are good motivation.

I find it very useful in the office too, purely for the phone notifications. A quick response to a text or WhatsApp, quickly viewing an email or calendar appointment.. it’s a lot quicker to use than pulling my phone out of the drawer, unlocking etc

So yeah, I was converted.. I still absolutely love my watches, but there’s space for the Apple Watch in the box too

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Like them or loathe them, there is no denying their popularity.

https://www.businessinsider.com/appl...18-2?r=US&IR=T
    Very true.
    Reminds me of something I read in a car magazine years ago-

Toyota Corolla is proof to the fact that millions of people CAN be wrong.

Corolla was the best selling car in US for ages:-)

I had one for a while but just out of warranty it died and didn’t get replaced - I decided this week I wanted a step counter so have ordered s GSquad to tide me over until the GGB 100 Mudmaster comes out .

MrsO wears hers but is on her 3rd - all replacements under warranty due to failure.

Master
    Is / was Apple fanboy, and had one of these when it came out. I really wanted to like it, but tired of pretty comprehensively as each supposed plus I found becoming a minus.
    • Getting notified on your wrist - just became annoying, leave me alone. I know you can turn them off (and I did), but them I might as well not wear it?
    • The fitness aspects are good, but diet and sleep are the foundational pillars of health. It can't help with diet, and needs charged overnight, so sleep tracking was impossible. I switched to a Lifetrak Zoom (for HRV and sleep measurement), and now an Oura ring.
    • Everybody has them.
    • They don't look nice (or, far from as nice as any of my other watches).
    • It occupies my wrist, so I can't wear another watch :-)
    • When travelling need to remember to take charger, when can I plug it in. Will the battery last all the way to my destination, or is my watch dead on arrival?

There's also the tinfoily aspects about having wireless emissions so frequently and close to the skin, but even without that the others added up, and having sold it I've not missed it. It's a great idea, but at least for me I think we can be TOO connected.

Biggest attraction for me is being able to leave my phone at home as I have the cellular version.

For the features it provides, plus the easy ability to change straps/looks, I think it's a bit of a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by goregasm View Post

So yeah, I was converted.. I still absolutely love my watches, but there’s space for the Apple Watch in the box too.
    Interesting that you don't wear it all the time as that's what I thought would be necessary to get the most out of it. My wife has one and loves it, but the almost built in obsolescence still puts me off (I'm typing this on an iPad mini and even browsing the web on it is a struggle sometimes. I think I'd get really annoyed when the watch started to show its age...).

Apple Watch four years on

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Interesting that you don't wear it all the time as that's what I thought would be necessary to get the most out of it. My wife has one and loves it, but the almost built in obsolescence still puts me off (I'm typing this on an iPad mini and even browsing the web on it is a struggle sometimes. I think I'd get really annoyed when the watch started to show its age...).
    That’s true, I don’t.. it would make my 30-odd ‘true’ watches redundant if I did.

It’s predominantly for fitness in my case, I can instantly upload to Strava if I want, I can check my heart rate on a bike ride with a glance at my wrist. It made perfect sense for me.

As I don’t wear it for much else it’s still in great condition, and Its not clogged with anything I don’t use. I do however like to get the thing off my wrist and get a proper watch on once I’m showered!
    Last edited by goregasm; 22nd April 2019 at 13:56.

I have a phone

BUBI 0_0

Master
    I have a 3 series watch. I only use it when running as it means I don’t need to take my phone as it streams music to my Bluetooth headphones (AirPods in my case). The Apple Pay function is useful if I get fed up and want to buy a snack or get the bus home.

It’s a great bit of kit, but will never replace my mechanical watches for everyday.

Journeyman
    Unfortunately due to my working environment the Apple Watch is by far my most worn timepiece through the week, it’s just so so handy for all sorts of things while I’m in work. I listen to Bluetooth headphones in work and can see and control what I’m listening to, see who is ringing me, send basic messages and track my fitness and steps, I use the Shazam button all the time too. It’s a fantastic bit of kit and I wouldn’t be without it though it never gets a looking whilst I’m not at work as it will never compare to the beauty of a proper timepiece!

Gaz

Had an Apple Watch for a couple of years and loved it at first, but I got tired of all the notifications and the poor battery life. Missed having a mechanical watch and glad to be back wearing them again

Craftsman
    I have the latest one . The battery lasts 2 days for me . The fitness rings may be a gimmick but they work for me . The blue tooth feature works well . The many other apps I don’t use often .
    It costs less than some fancy leather straps so it’s worth a try ...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    [*]Getting notified on your wrist - just became annoying, leave me alone. I know you can turn them off (and I did), but them I might as well not wear it?

Applause
    [*]The fitness aspects are good, but diet and sleep are the foundational pillars of health. It can't help with diet, and needs charged overnight, so sleep tracking was impossible. I switched to a Lifetrak Zoom (for HRV and sleep measurement), and now an Oura ring.

Oura and motiv could really change the fitness wearables, if rather got for a run/hiit as with that on then and apple watch.
    [*]Everybody has them.
    [*]They don't look nice (or, far from as nice as any of my other watches).

They just look odd when viewed from side it's just a blob. I always wonder if people think the apple watch looks good.
    Agreed with alot of these points & added a few remarks.

Apple is the world's best marketing company hence the success of the watch.

Master
    I upset someone on another forum when I suggested that they wren’t really a watch but an extension of the their computer/phone, some people can be very touchy.

Journeyman
    I like apple products generally so I bought their watch when they first came out. Ended up giving it back to the store for a refund as I found it a bit underwhelming. Then I bought a series 3 after reviews said they were faster, more responsive, better third party apps (mainly fitness) but ended up giving it to one of my daughters as I just wasn't wearing it (and I'm not sure she does either). The biggest turn-off for me was that the screen doesn't stay on all the time. That and the battery life.

I'm after a fitness watch of some sort so I've been recently looking at online reviews comparing the new series 4 to garmin's Fenix range. Now thinking about the 5 plus largely because I'm a sucker for gadgets but also because the screen is always on and the battery seems pretty good, even when using the GPS.

I have a series 3 cellular version and for some reason I very rarely wear it. I actually think it’s a brilliant bit of technology, the ability to link it to AirPods, use Apple Pay etc is really handy - and setting timers using Siri when your cooking is light years ahead of pressing buttons on a g shock!
    I no longer buy into the ‘mechanical watches have soul’ thing, and actually prefer quartz but for some reason prefer to wear a Casio than an Apple Watch. I don’t think they’re aimed at ‘us’ though - for most people they seem to be the watch of choice and I can’t say I blame them. Ps The recharging thing isn’t the Achilles heel many non-owners bang on about. Mine never gets below 70% by the end of the day and it’ll charge back to 100% in less than half an hour.

Master
    I’ve had an s2 for years. Wear it most weekdays when I go to the gym as I find the health tracking very useful along with the notifications and alerts especially if I’m using my phone as a target when developing an app.
    I usually switch to one of my traditional watches in the afternoon but did go a couple of years without wearing anything else.
    Suffice to say I like it very much and consider it to be a good fit for my life and a worthy alternative to a Casio or citizen ‘beater’
    Battery life is fine for me as I dislike wearing a watch while I sleep.

Apple watches are a fashion statement nowadays. It's for people who want a "prestigious brand name" watch without appearing like a snob.

However, I do admit that as a tech gadget it's pretty cool and refreshing.

I bought a Sport the day they came out, and am wearing its replacement - a Cellular 3 Stainless - today. Despite still loving "proper" watches, I'd had a couple of Pebble smartwatches previously, and FitBits etc.

I work in IT, so am up from my desk and around the building a lot throughout the day. Not having to take my phone with me is a massive plus. It's also useful on my lunchtime walk to the shop, I can track my steps, listen to podcasts, pay for lunch, and take or make a call when out and about. In the evening I can track my gym session, listen to a playlist and then pay for some dinner from M&S without having to take my phone or wallet.

I've probably got 15 different straps for it, so can dress it up or down easily, and the sapphire means I don't worry about scratching it at work.

I have to say though, I do look forward to Friday - where I wear a "normal" watch, or days when I've got important meetings and have to wear a suit, because then I always wear something dressy.

Journeyman
    I like it a lot! S3 over here. There was a time that I used it as an extra watch/gadget on the other wrist ... nowadays it is very often my only watch .... hmmm ....
    I have a Macbook, and an iPhone X, works great together with the watch.

Craftsman
    I use to wear my Series 1 was a daily watch, integrates into my life well like posters above have mentioned, see messages and who is calling me without picking my phone up.
    But, having a choice of mechanical watches at home I ended up never wearing the iwatch. Recently got a Fitbit Alta HR to wear on my right wrist so two smart watches on at the same time was too much for me,
    Possibly look silly enough with a normal watch & smart watch ha.

Sold the watch in December for £60 to some online company like Music Magpie, got more than I thought I would

Craftsman
    I've been wearing mine everyday since its release in 2015 and here's why:
    Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 16.29.12 by Paul Rowley, on Flickr

My Sinn U2 on my left wrist and AppleWatch on my right so that I can glance at it while doing venom extractions to see if phone calls / notifications are important.
    Something I could not do prior to buying the AppleWatch as my iPhone is in a OtterBox belt holster on my left hip.

Link to the short video here:

https://bit.ly/2ZsgF3g

The snake is a Puff Adder.

I've set the home screen of the watch to the favourites folder of the photos on my phone, so every time I raise my wrist, I smile - be it a nice pic of the kids, one of my car, holiday snaps etc.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    I've been wearing mine everyday since its release in 2015 and here's why:
    Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 16.29.12 by Paul Rowley, on Flickr

My Sinn U2 on my left wrist and AppleWatch on my right so that I can glance at it while doing venom extractions to see if phone calls / notifications are important.
    Something I could not do prior to buying the AppleWatch as my iPhone is in a OtterBox belt holster on my left hip.

Link to the short video here:

https://bit.ly/2ZsgF3g

The snake is a Puff Adder.
    Now that is something you don’t see everyday. Venom used to make anti-venom or research?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    Now that is something you don’t see everyday. Venom used to make anti-venom or research?
    Both. We carry out research, drug discoveries and improving treatments. I literally work at the "sharp end" and for the last 26 years I have been the only person in the UK doing venom extractions for medical research. Over the last 8 years or so I have collected enough venom from Saw-Scale Vipers to have now saved over 20,000 lives in Sub-Saharan Africa via the antivenom our team have made.

Craftsman
    Apologies for taking this off-topic but that seems like a high risk role but with excellent results for the unfortunate people who get bitten. Thank you for your service to saving lives!

I can imagine you have a few interesting stories to tell, close encounters with some snakes, hopefully you have never been bitten? If there is a thread that I could read please share it’s location with me.

Re: Over the last 8 years or so I have collected enough venom from Saw-Scale Vipers to have now saved over 20,000 lives in Sub-Saharan Africa via the antivenom our team have made.

That is awesome. More power to you.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    Apologies for taking this off-topic but that seems like a high risk role but with excellent results for the unfortunate people who get bitten. Thank you for your service to saving lives!

I can imagine you have a few interesting stories to tell, close encounters with some snakes, hopefully you have never been bitten? If there is a thread that I could read please share it’s location with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Re: Over the last 8 years or so I have collected enough venom from Saw-Scale Vipers to have now saved over 20,000 lives in Sub-Saharan Africa via the antivenom our team have made.

That is awesome. More power to you.
    Thank you for your kind comments. I'll quickly give you a few details and then people can get back on topic...

https://www.lstmed.ac.uk/about/people/mr-paul-rowley

I have been hospitalised 3 times with rattlesnake bites (in 1993,1996 & 2002). While I'm not proud of having been bitten, my track record is very good in this industry given how intensive our interaction with the snakes is ... (17 years without a bite and I still have all my fingers).. there are individuals I know with far, far less than the 50,000+ hours I've racked up, but have managed to be bitten over 35 times by medically important snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by inkiboo View Post

It's had absolutely nil impact that I can detect. I see them around but I see more plain-dial hipster fashion watches...which have also had nil detectable impact on anything.