closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch for 14 year old son ??

Craftsman

Watch for 14 year old son ??

My lad is 14 in June and i have been looking at getting him a watch, he obviously wanted an Armani or Hugo Boss but when i explained to him that a watch is something you want to last and use for years to come he asked me for a used Omega or Rolex.
    After choking and getting off the floor i had some sweet tea and recovered somewhat so i could explain the cost of such watches make them prohibative and i have to know he will look after it before spending a lot of money on it.
    He likes the tool watches and divers watch types but any tool type watch is ok i think, he also has no issue with a used watch.
    He has ADHD which manifests itself in wierd ways such as hiding the cuttlary behind the freezer and any task given that would take over 5 mins to do(wether he likes it or not) he loses focus and forgets what he is supposed to be doing but on intensive sporting tasks like mountain biking and skateboarding his mind seems to adjust and he keeps his concentration for a few hours, they also think Autism may be present/involved (if thats the terminology)
    So i would say he needs something simple to read that is not too complicated but will also take getting splashed and shocked while he is out, we have had the G Shock type and he cant get on with them.
    The budget is prohibative at the moment being £200 - £250 but like i say second hand is no issue.
    As usual any help or advice will be gratefully accepted
    cheers

Master
    If you want mechanical then I'd be looking at Seiko, Orient or Citizen. Maybe post a WTB and see what comes up?

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I would imagine a quartz watch would be best suited for your lad?

Try this (sorry cant post pic as I'm useless) - here's the name and reference:

Citizen BM6831-41L Eco-Drive Black Leather Strap Watch - W3938

https://www.fhinds.co.uk/watches/wat...ap-Watch-W3938

Under £100 and eco drive. From F Hinds - Clear and ultra cool.

Blog Entries
    Citizen on Chronomaster might fit the bill - & Neil's always good to deal with...

z

Get him the fashion watch he wants now, and a ‘good’ watch at 18 or 21.

Journeyman
    If he wants the fashion watch then I would probably go for that! Of course if he changes his mind when you show him say a g-shock, then go with that. But when you are a young lad having one of those fashion brands on your wrist probably seems as good as it gets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    At that age it’ll probably get knocked about or risk of even being left somewhere.
    Boss or Armani for now, with retro vintage or new Swiss watch for 18th or 21st birthdays.
    Your view that watches should last a lifetime and be cherished is a WIS viewpoint and will be seen as old hat amongst his peer group. As he’s going to be hanging around his mates and not watch collector fairs I’d suggest a watch that fits in with his peer group. If he’s really sporty or at least likes that look then Citizen, Tissot or Seiko will also have a suitable model.
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 22nd April 2019 at 11:35.

Craftsman
    We cant force everyone to make what we think are the correct decisions and it would be a terribly boring world if we could.

The fact that he wants a real watch and not a smart watch already says he has an interest in watches.
    Get what he wants, even if its not something you particularly like.
    If you get him a watch you like but he doesnt, it will end up in the back of a drawer. If he has something he likes and wants to be seen with, he will wear it.

It also gives a chance to see if hes into watches, and make the 18th bday present something with a little more thought behind it.

Seiko SNK809 - It's cheap and realiable, it's relatively small, don't know if that's an issue.

(image from google)

Every watch i had at that age i lost or smashed. There might still be a casio alarm going off in an Austrian lake lol.

It was however, a great opportunity for me to experiment with different types of watch and style, as i developed my own tastes.

I would let him choose, but control the budget.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    thanks for all the replies guys you all make very valid observations.
    i will let him choose and enjoy whatever he chooses without trying to influence him too much.
    i was trying to project my thoughts onto it too much and tried to put myself in his shoes but at his age i was in a totally different place to him so things were not the same.
    keep them coming as i am showing him all the pictures though. . . . .

I would say feel free to guide him. If you don't guide your teenage son, who would you guide?
    I would tell him- look this is what I would buy with this budget after x number of years in the hobby and these are the pros and cons. Do take them into consideration as well your own wishes and inclinations and make an informed choice.
    You will support whatever he decides. Parents can never be guilty of imparting their wisdom to their kids but only of imposing their will.

My recommendation would be a nice Seiko or a a Citizen or a micro brand Diver.
    If you are really concerned about him mistakenly hiding it, may be something with an alarm- which will help you locate it.

Kids with ADHD and even autism not infrequently are capable of doing amazingly well in some fields/activities.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 22nd April 2019 at 15:05.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Get him the fashion watch he wants now, and a ‘good’ watch at 18 or 21.
    This

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Echoing GQ’s this.

I’d add that he’ll get the Omega or Rolex when he brings the last one back whole. If not he’ll get something cheaper On that basis, My eldest lad has a perfectly nice Seiko Spirit and a few memories while eldest daughter has a Flic Flac, a Citizen Attesa, a Dunhill Facet, a nameless chronometer from Hull observatory, a fifties Tudor and a really nice 565 Omega. She still has them all in faultless condition and happily wears the flic flac from time to time which does my heart good.

Master
    I'd show him some citizen eco drive watches and some Seiko's, the skx013 or 008 is £175 on creation currently.... hodinkee's value proposition just got 'valuer'.

But if he doesn't get excited, show him the Hugo boss again and let him choose.

Could you try to use all the circumstances set out in your OP to your son’s benefit?

For example, if you explain the way a mechanical watch works and responds to various factors and positions, then hook him up with a solid Seiko 5 (for starters) and the WatchTracker app, he might get a kick from being able to chart the watch’s performance and positionally control its timekeeping.

Yes, it mightn’t work out and you’ll end up reversing into some Boss or whatever, but there’s nothing in what you’ve outlined above to rule out him being the next George Daniels, either :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barbosas View Post
    Seiko SNK809 - It's cheap and realiable, it's relatively small, don't know if that's an issue.

(image from google)
    My 11 year old son has one of these (on the recommendation of a similar thread I started on this forum) and loves it. I have to say it also looks really smart on him.

This is the watch I used to indoctrinate my teenage son.

Since then things have gone very well (or badly, depending on your point of view). He says he will always go for an automatic movement now and is very taken with the design.

He chose it from a shortlist of 3 stainless steel watches that I said he could ‘try’.

Now, aged 16, he sees the Submariner as the perfect ‘must have’ watch. I’m starting to wonder what I’ve done to the poor lad.

Anyway, the blue Orient Ray:

What wrist size does he have?

Without doubt a SKX013 is a great option!

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Don't 'enforce' the watch you think he should have. Let him choose having given him the necessary information. My son is 14 and he has had several chats with me about watches at his instigation.
    He is building his own collection which currently consists of a G-Shock,three Seikos and a fashion watch. I would say that if your son likes the fashion watch then let him have the pleasure of owning the watch he has chosen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Don't 'enforce' the watch you think he should have. Let him choose having given him the necessary information. My son is 14 and he has had several chats with me about watches at his instigation.
    He is building his own collection which currently consists of a G-Shock,three Seikos and a fashion watch. I would say that if your son likes the fashion watch then let him have the pleasure of owning the watch he has chosen.
    Totally agree, my lad is 16 and is proudly wearing one of Eddies Everest 36's completely his choice he spotted me looking for myself and said that's what he wanted.
    I would have gone for a Citizen or Seiko if I had been shopping on the high street for him.

If your son likes divers watches then I can thoroughly recommend the Divex Professional 200. I bought one after reading a review here by TakeTheCannoli and I’m blown away by the quality. 200m WR, sapphire crystal, well built (they are sold by JFD Global who are a commercial divers supply company based in Scotland) and good looking.

All for the princely sum of... £90!

When I bought mine it cost me £76 and I then fitted a Borealis ‘ISOfrane’-style rubber strap which you can see in my photo. From memory the whole thing (watch + strap) cost me £102 delivered!

I suspect it could be ideal for your lad...

Simon

I was going to suggest a mechanical Tissot, but the style might not suit a 14 year old. Citizen's eco-drive watches are pretty cool and I remember wanting one in my teens, such as the Skyhawk/Nighthawk models.

Craftsman
    Seiko SNSX79 is nice

Master
    Tissot is a good suggestion, some lovely watches.

Craftsman
    Wow.... i am really made up that so many people have answered this post and just the watches mentioned so far will keep us looking for a while.
    Thank you very much guys i really do appreciate all the suggestions so far and all from a stance that until now i didnt realise was possible, i wanted what i thought was the best value for money while being bomb proof and what i thought was the best looking when it really is about what he likes not me!
    when we get time (youth club tonight & scooter park tomorrow) i will show him every watch i can and let him look himself, he can then choose which he likes.
    a lot of this is me trying to get him into something i like when indeed he may not be into himself.
    much respect guys i'm much happier and seeing from different angles now

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    - & Neil's always good to deal with..
    That's one opinion, certainly...

Master
    glad to help shaggy!

actually this thread has bedded in a thought i've had recently, that there are some stunning watches to be had in the ...say..£150 to £500 price range. I do have to ask myself why i 'want' to spend more!

My 13 year old son wears one of these Seiko 5s.. with a lovely blue face: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Matched up with a blue NATO from watchobsession. He loves it and wears it to school every day. He loves the view back where he can see the rotor etc. Its a nice size of a case of a young wrist too.

Last edited by JohnnyE; 23rd April 2019 at 12:16.

Craftsman
    well guys after weeks and weeks of looking and changing of mind then looking and getting a shortlist of 25 down to 5 then back to 10 and down to 3 he has chosen this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hugo-151333.../dp/B01B2TNF54
    i have got it for £100 from ebay and we will see how he looks after it to see how we proceed in the future.
    Thanks for all your help guys and i will be looking back at this post in years to come to see what he likes next

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
    well guys after weeks and weeks of looking and changing of mind then looking and getting a shortlist of 25 down to 5 then back to 10 and down to 3 he has chosen this
    i have got it for £100 from ebay and we will see how he looks after it to see how we proceed in the future.
    Thanks for all your help guys and i will be looking back at this post in years to come to see what he likes next
    I'm sorry to hear this. He'll grow out of it

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
    What matters most is that he likes it :) ... and that his friends appreciate it.
    Everyone has different tastes and might have different priorities although no one would say no to a Rolex or Omega either!

Craftsman
    I have twin boys aged 14.

Im giving one my Batman whilst the other is unsure on standard submariner or to hang on and wait for a Kermit.

I have no problem with them having these as they are pretty expensive watches .................................................. but im only 50 so they have a few year till I pop off before they actually get them via my will.

Untill then its G Shocks all round.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    What matters most is that he likes it
    Whilst that is important, what's the point of asking a panel of watch enthusiasts if he's just going to buy some tacky bling with no regard for quality, longevity and value for money? Just give him the Argos catalogue and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Whilst that is important, what's the point of asking a panel of watch enthusiasts if he's just going to buy some tacky bling with no regard for quality, longevity and value for money? Just give him the Argos catalogue and be done with it.
    ^^^ This ^^^

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I'm sorry to hear this. He'll grow out of it
    Yes, he will probably stop wearing a watch altogether and start using his phone like most people.

Craftsman
    Seiko Skx007 without a doubt :)

I think that’s the proper reference from memory

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Yes, he will probably stop wearing a watch altogether and start using his phone like most people.
    I don't tend to wear my phone on my wrist.

Or are you saying phones will replace pocket watches? I highly doubt that!

Master

Im saying that most people i know claim they have no need for a watch as they use their phone to tell the time. Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    If your son likes divers watches then I can thoroughly recommend the Divex Professional 200. I bought one after reading a review here by TakeTheCannoli and I’m blown away by the quality. 200m WR, sapphire crystal, well built (they are sold by JFD Global who are a commercial divers supply company based in Scotland) and good looking.

All for the princely sum of... £90!

When I bought mine it cost me £76 and I then fitted a Borealis ‘ISOfrane’-style rubber strap which you can see in my photo. From memory the whole thing (watch + strap) cost me £102 delivered!

I suspect it could be ideal for your lad...

Simon
    I have one of these and put it on a Hirsch Pure

Fantastic watch for the money

My son wear an issued Pulsar - issued the same year he was born. He has a selection of NATO straps, so he can change the look when he pleases. Not to big, plus it's robust enough to survive. It might even go up in value. Good value for about £70.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    I have twin boys aged 14.

Im giving one my Batman whilst the other is unsure on standard submariner or to hang on and wait for a Kermit.

I have no problem with them having these as they are pretty expensive watches .................................................. but im only 50 so they have a few year till I pop off before they actually get them via my will.

Untill then its G Shocks all round.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I gave my 18 years old Seiko 5 SNZG15K on black NATO and he was quite chuffed.
    He's had G-Shock already though.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Seiko 5 or G Shock.

If you want to spoil him go for the quartz Tag Formula 1 but he might be quite young for that.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Tissot is a good suggestion, some lovely watches.
    My 14th birthday present was a selfwinding steel Tissot Seastar. I've now got a ludicrous collection of 13 watches. Tissot's a gateway watch for sure.

To everyone who has bumped this thread with more suggestions, please read the whole thing before adding anything else - the kid has already bought something.

Unless you're presuming it's broken already, which could easily be the case...

Master
    Maybe to give him some idea of what else is out there in the watch world? He's bought what he likes which is the main thing. He might look back at this in a few years, change his mind, and go for one of the suggested watches. Glad hes got the one he wanted👍

Calm down dear.

Blog Entries

Errr say what. Majority of my office workers wear —- Apple Watch?? Probably because we get a discount with our health scheme which reduces cost to zero as long as you keep doing those steps!! We are all turning into lab rats.

OP. Seems like there are lots of ideas. Some simple analog Casio, Citizen, Seiko would be my advise, quartz. Lots to choose from. That’s what I had for years before I joined in this WIS madness.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 10th May 2019 at 08:08.