closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car Boot Sunday

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

Car Boot Sunday

Not much in the way of watches this morning but there are two more car boot sales Easter Monday. I found an 8 day watch, a cylinder escapement pocket watch and three ladies watches but

could not resist this Polish radio. It is absolutely covered in tar from heavy smoking but I set about giving it a clean using JIF on a soft sponge. It works fine on both speakers but there is some switch crackle which a bit of CCL4 spray will get rid of. The interior ferrite rod aerial can be turned via a knob at the back to pick up the best signal and it has a green magic eye tuning valve.

I love the sound of old mains radios. When listening to World Service or comedy on Radio 4 extra it feels like being back in the 60s ! Great feeling to restore these old things too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 21st April 2019 at 18:37.

Journeyman
    Brendan,
    You seem to have far better quality car boot sales than here in Lincolnshire. Here it is the mundane mix of third rate ceramics and tired looking garden machinery!

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic_Magpie View Post
    Brendan,
    You seem to have far better quality car boot sales than here in Lincolnshire. Here it is the mundane mix of third rate ceramics and tired looking garden machinery!
    I get that stuff here as well. Spluttering petrol lawn mowers and dreadful pottery !
    For me the secret is getting there early. 6am as the sellers unpack. You have to fight through hungry dealers but the important thing is to look inside all boxes, especially those with cheap jewellery inside. Nice watches often turn up at the bottom. Or it's just luck.

It's a bit of a guilty pleasure reading about your Car Booting antics. That Radio is very cool.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    It's a bit of a guilty pleasure reading about your Car Booting antics. That Radio is very cool.
    I'm glad you enjoy them. The radio has no doubt had a busy life. Those 60s spindly legs !! I tidied up the two pocket sized watches. Found an hour hand for the 8 day and a bevelled glass for the other. Both run. If I don't do them straight away, they end up in drawers.

Master
    Nice finds. I've never seen anything decent around where I live. For example:

Car boot in Chorleywood, Herts. About 200 hundred watches in a box. All complete rubbish from what I could see.

Last edited by Tiny; 21st April 2019 at 19:16.