closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chronograph quandary

Master

Chronograph quandary

Later this year I hope to buy a chronograph. At this time I have three contenders in mind. All three are automatics and lack a date feature, which happens to be a big plus in my book. All three are 41 to 42mm and come on leather straps.

The first is the Longines Avigation “Big Eye”. I’ve liked this since it was first unveiled a couple of years ago. I’ve missed a couple of decent examples on SC. The retail price is now £2060, though I suppose a discount is always possible.

The next contender is less mainstream. I’ve been intrigued by the Siduna Professional Compax (ref M3440) since Sweets (Dave) posted a great review of it here. It retails at 1850 Euros or £1641 inclusive of VAT.

Finally, I’m drawn to the Guinand Model 361. This is listed at 1865 Euros, so not much more than the Siduna. Mind you, Siduna cover mailing costs, unlike Guinand.

At this time the Siduna is my first choice, followed by the Guinand. The Longines now seems the least likely option of the three.

I’ve previously owned a Moonwatch and also a FOIS, which was my favourite of the two. This time I’m looking for something different. Any other chronographs for me to consider in the price range of £1500 to £2000?

Finally, links to the three watches I’ve been mulling over:

https://siduna.watch/en-us/m3440.html
    https://www.longines.co.uk/watch-heritage-l2-816-4-53-2
    https://www.guinand-uhren.de/model-361/model-361.html

I love a good bicompax, Sean, and the Guinand looks to be the loveliest of the two.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    I love a good bicompax, Sean, and the Guinand looks to be the loveliest of the two.

Hi Ross. Good to see you around here again. I should have kept that FOIS of yours! I’ve talked myself out of the Longines, so it’s likely to be the Guinand or Siduna.

I was very intrigued by the Longines but the absence of decent wr made it a no-go for me. I also admire the Guinand, but the tachy script is way too small for my failing eyes, and i decided that i preferred the simplicity of a monotone dial, so went for the Siduna. I also think their case finishing is a little more sophisticated than Guinand's.
    I do wear the Siduna a lot, and have been for the last fortnight at least. No regrets at all from me.
    You are in the position of making a choice between 3 great options, so good luck with it.
    Dave

Master
    Hi Dave. Thanks for your input. Can I ask what sort of accuracy you get from it as a daily wearer?

I am not the type of person to time things to the second (unless i am doing so for a sales listing) but it is definitely within a minute after about 20 days, so it must be pretty good.
    Dave

Master
    Thanks again, Dave. That level of accuracy is reassuring. I also read of the possibility of the Pilot A13-A in auto form.

For me the Guinand by a nose from the Siduna

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Guinand or Siduna as others said.
    BTW, bi-compax does not necessarily mean two register chronograph. Not directed at OP.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 21st April 2019 at 21:37.

Master
    The Siduna is very nice but I prefer both the hands and the pushers on the Guinand. So Guinand for me but I am sure you'd be happy either way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    The Siduna is very nice but I prefer both the hands and the pushers on the Guinand. So Guinand for me but I am sure you'd be happy either way.
    You could be right. There’s so little difference between the two. Possibly need to flip a coin to decide.

Both are lovely looking watches but for me the Guinand has the edge.
    I think CWC have few of the reissue chronographs left, would this be an alternative?
    It’s not as good looking but is very easy to read and has a history to it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Both are lovely looking watches but for me the Guinand has the edge.
    I think CWC have few of the reissue chronographs left, would this be an alternative?
    It’s not as good looking but is very easy to read and has a history to it.

I was thinking about the CWC reissue chrono. But I think it’s about £2250 now. That’s too close to pre-owned Moonwatch territory for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I was thinking about the CWC reissue chrono. But I think it’s about £2250 now. That’s too close to pre-owned Moonwatch territory for my liking.
    This is very true

Blog Entries
    I’d take the Siduna…

I'd take the Siduna, cleaner dial then the Guinand.

Quote Originally Posted by barbosas View Post
    I'd take the Siduna, cleaner dial then the Guinand.
    ^^^ What he said ^^^

That Siduna is gorgeous.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    ^^^ What he said ^^^

That Siduna is gorgeous.

There’s so little between the Guinand and the Siduna but it’s the latter I’m edging towards.

Also there is the Crepas Type RE Chronograph- my personal favorite
    Might be hard to source but they do show up now and then
    I think lack of a fully indexed bezel makes this a much cleaner design

https://www.google.com/amp/s/forums....5.html%3famp=1

Last edited by RAJEN; 23rd April 2019 at 06:05.

Based purely on looks, Sean, I’d pick the Siduna.

For me the Longines is the odd man out of the three, and definitely the first I’d dismiss. The Guinand is just a little ‘fussier’ than the Siduna, I think.

Simon

Master
    Thanks again for the input everyone. I owned a couple of Crepas watches, the Tektite and TC2, in the past. Definitely one of the best micro brands out there. I’ve liked the Siduna ever since it was reviewed here and it’s the one I’m going to go for.

Longines Heritage Chrono would be my pick because it's a classic historical look from Longines' history.

Stowa make some gorgeous 2-register chrono ....May be worth a gander?

There must be some common ( dare I say Asian ) supplier for these Siduna/Guinand cases as I saw a similar Chronograph from some Italian outfit posted on Instagram yesterday.

Master
    I did consider Stowa’s two register chronographs. I’d sooner have a Schauer chrono! Unfortunately they’re well in excess of my budget.

https://www.stowa.de/en/Edition+12+Schauer+watch.htm
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 24th April 2019 at 20:50.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    There must be some common ( dare I say Asian ) supplier for these Siduna/Guinand cases as I saw a similar Chronograph from some Italian outfit posted on Instagram yesterday.
    No, there is nothing connecting between the Guinand 361 case and the Siduna M3440. The lug profile is totally different, as are the angles, end shapes and total absence of a side chamfer on the Guinand. The bezel is a solid one on the Guinand, insert one of the Siduna. Pump pushers for Guinand, simple for Siduna. WR10 Bar Siduna, 20 for the Guinand. etc etc etc. The Guinand is all polished, the Siduna has several brushed facets.
    Both are very clearly derived from what was originally the Lemania code 817 case, but separately. That case has also inspired the Sinn EZM1, but that came from the much earlier Sinn 103 case design. And many others.

D

Master
    Guinand do lovely brushed cases. The OP's choice was fully polished, which IMHO, doesn't suit the watch in that particular iteration.
    I do really like the 'Big Eye' chrono' though, & would be my choice over the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Guinand do lovely brushed cases. The OP's choice was fully polished, which IMHO, doesn't suit the watch in that particular iteration.
    I do really like the 'Big Eye' chrono' though, & would be my choice over the others.
    They do, but not on the 361, polished is the only option for that case, the one without crown guards. They offer brushed, blasted and even brushed and PVDed (sold out) but not on the 361 model.
    D

Journeyman
    I am looking at a Max Bill Chronoscope next, worth a look?

Scottie

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie2345 View Post
    I am looking at a Max Bill Chronoscope next, worth a look?

Scottie
    Not for me, though I like the look of the Junghans Meister Pilot chrono.

My understanding from your first post was that you used to own Speedmasters and want to move away from them.
    Personally I would categorize the contenders not only by two or three sub-dials but also bezel or no-bezel design.
    Since you want different from the Speedy look, maybe a no-bezel classic chronograph like the Longines you mentioned is the way.
    However I find two sub-dial layout also appealing. Maybe you could combine the two thing? I think Guinand used to offer that scenario but maybe not anymore.
    Sinn 356 Jubiläum is nice but has date function.
    From Guinand I would go for the Starfighter Pilot because of its cleaner look over the 361. In fact it’s pretty much a Heuer-Sinn Bundeswehr tribute. The Pilot Officer is also an interesting alternative to the Big Eye.
    I hope I didn’t make decision even more tough.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Hi Witti. Thanks for taking the trouble to check out the Guinand range and suggest some other possible options. Of the current range I do like the Starfighter Pilot. The Pilot Officer also appeals. As does the panda dial Monte Carlo, albeit it has a date function. Finally, the series 155 is also a possible contender. Again, that has a date function, which wasn’t something I particularly want or like on a watch. However it’s probably Guinand’s smallest chrono at 37.5mm. I don’t have the thickest wrists so the latter would be a good choice. Over the last few days I’ve been going off the 361 model.

My head is spinning! I almost wish Guinand didn’t offer quite so many chronographs. I’ve got some more thinking to do.

Craftsman
    I would suggest to go vintage with a Breitling 2002 Top Time with reverse panda. A classic two register chronograph and a perfect size.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You unearth some lovely watches Sean.

I like both the Sigund and Guinand- not too sure of the longines

KMP on which one and if you see one from Big Smoke area I’ll happily pick it up.

Tea soon??

J

Hi Witti. Thanks for taking the trouble to check out the Guinand range and suggest some other possible options. Of the current range I do like the Starfighter Pilot. The Pilot Officer also appeals. As does the panda dial Monte Carlo, albeit it has a date function. Finally, the series 155 is also a possible contender. Again, that has a date function, which wasn’t something I particularly want or like on a watch. However it’s probably Guinand’s smallest chrono at 37.5mm. I don’t have the thickest wrists so the latter would be a good choice. Over the last few days I’ve been going off the 361 model.

My head is spinning! I almost wish Guinand didn’t offer quite so many chronographs. I’ve got some more thinking to do.

Craftsman
    Personally, I'd take the Guinand. The 361 is lovely, and to my mind, better proportioned than the Siduna. At over 16mm thick, I imagine the Siduna may be a bit clunky to wear.

If only the Guinand was blasted though...

Master
    Longine Heritage 67 Chrono’ was in my mind one of the best vintage reissues
    Got a glorious red diver Bezel great for your 60 minute counts. A big eye counter. Impressive water resistance and an interesting retro bracelet . Though the black leather strap looks excellent

All beautiful but the Guinard especially in my eyes. Enjoy whatever you choose

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I looked very closely at that Guinand and a couple of similar Guinand models about 6 years ago but I ended up with and O&W Mirage instead (which I adore).

Of your selection, the Guinand would be my choice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    You unearth some lovely watches Sean.

I like both the Sigund and Guinand- not too sure of the longines

KMP on which one and if you see one from Big Smoke area I’ll happily pick it up.

Tea soon??

J

Hi Jim. Good to see you back here. Would be great to catch up with you soon.

As regards my chronograph deliberations, I think it’ll be the Siduna for me. Just hoping that exchange rates don’t keep on plummeting.