closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Amstel gold race. Try to re-watch the final 5 kms.

Blog Entries

Amstel gold race. Try to re-watch the final 5 kms.

Amended because I gave too much away...

If you want to see the most exhilarating 5 final kms of a bike Classic, then it's time to watch the replay of today's Amstel Gold Race. For more background, I suggest that you watch the final 75 mins / 50 kms. That puts it in perspective.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 21st April 2019 at 16:29.

Master
    Maybe a spoiler alert would be good?

(Was a fantastic race)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Maybe a spoiler alert would be good?

(Was a fantastic race)
    Perhaps you're right! Too carried away perhaps. I'll amend it

Master
    I had been trying not to see the result and watch the recording this evening. I had caved and turned on TV, caught the last 10k. Even that was exceptional - even with a kilometre to go the result look sure. Was a fantastic finish!

Master
    I also caught the last 10km - astonishing finish.

Pete

Craftsman
    Old school bike racing at its best!

I watched a rerun of the last 10/15km the other day, knowing the result and throughout assumed I had read it incorrectly!
    There was no way that MvdP should have won that but I'm very glad he did! JA should have had it tied up before the group even had him in sight.

An awesome effort and as the OP mentioned in the Flanders thread (I think) he'll be a massive star (although I'm guessing he already is in the Netherlands!)

Master
    if the front two hadn't fannied about they would have got to the line. Reminded about the TdF stage when Lance Armstrong roared past Andreas Kloden to take the stage on the line. I know there can be only one winner but Alaphilippe/Fulsgang should have got nearer the line but that's bike racing.

Journeyman
    Proper racing .. do love the one day races as it can occasionally bring finishes like this

This sounds like an exciting race, where can I see it? You fellows have done well not to spoil it for me

Blog Entries
    Eurosport has a nice round-up on YT.

Back to the winner: he's planning to go to Japan for the 2020 Olympics. Training for that starts May 1...

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Eurosport has a nice round-up on YT.

Back to the winner: he's planning to go to Japan for the 2020 Olympics. Training for that starts May 1...

Menno
    Ah, that makes sense now... there was something in the cycling press about him not racing again in 2019, which seemed a bit odd. Is he a trackie too then?

Cheers Menno I will check it out on YT. It was obvious really

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Ah, that makes sense now... there was something in the cycling press about him not racing again in 2019, which seemed a bit odd. Is he a trackie too then?
    No, don't think so. He is due to participate in the MTB worlds and is also an exceptional cyclocross rider.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rishie View Post
    No, don't think so. He is due to participate in the MTB worlds and is also an exceptional cyclocross rider.
    he is supposedly a millionaire from his cross riding so he may not be tempted by offers from eg Sky who will want a return on that money quickly. Also he has the best of all worlds it would seem.

Blog Entries
    He has done pretty well with cyclocross... This season he won 31 out of 33 Worldtours GPs and he became World Champion. According to the guys on the Flemish TV, a cyclocross rider earns more (on average) than a professional cyclist on the road. Teams are smaller and the compact circuit gives the sponsor a lot of airtime! Next to that, MvdP is a third generation pro cyclist. His granddad was a famous French cyclist, his dad was one as well. Surely, inspiration, genes and good advise must play a role.

I've been looking for a few numbers and found a pic of his Strava page... at his peak performance, he delivered ('vermogen' in Dutch) 1400 Watt!!! And have a look at his top speed going downhill...

Additional to my previous posting about the VdP's Olympic campaign: he will do a number of Spring Classics again. The same list as this year, without the 'Amstel', but Paris Roubaix. He will do the WC Mountainbike in May 2020 and 'Japan'. There is some uncertainty about his winter program: cyclocross or mountain bike Cups. I couldn't find a definite answer.

A Dutch cycling magazine Indeleiderstrui.nl (translates into something like: 'wearingtheyellow') has a blog about the Strava data from all sorts of races. Interesting stuff when you are a 'numbers cruncher'. A nice starting-link for those who want to pull the whole text through Translate: https://www.indeleiderstrui.nl/nieuw...parijs-roubaix

(*Now off to my TR3A fighting the fresh air mechanism - a small bolt fell out and one needs to be a skilled watchmaker (which I'm not...) to get it all together again. Monitor with the Flemish TV in the corner of the shop for La Flèche Wallonne! What a way to spend my days, happy tinkering with cars and watching pro cycling )

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 24th April 2019 at 15:04.

Just watched the last 10k, great stuff!
    F.T.F.A.