closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Polarised glasses

Journeyman

Polarised glasses

This may be the wrong place to post this but I’m not sure where would be better?
    Yesterday evening I was at a garden party and my sunglasses fell from my shirt straight into the floor, and they now have a hideous collection of small scratches all over them.
    I while ago I bought some diamond paste to remover a scratch from a window (it worked a treat but a LOT of elbow grease needed) and was wondering if anyone has tried anything similar before I ruin a £200 pair of sunglasses. The lenses are polarised too, idk if this is a coating that I may inadvertently remove or a quality of the glass itself?

Any help gratefully received...

Gaz

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Are they plastic or glass lenses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I suspect plastic.

If the scratches are so bad that you cannot use the glasses, you have nothing to lose by very gentle polishing. If they are still ok, then use them until you can ask an optician for advice.....

Personally, I’d take the latter course rather than potentially ruining an expensive pair of glass...!

Master
    PS. Diamond paste will probably be too rough on plastic lenses.

It may be worth contacting the manufacturer for advice and help. I am aware for example Maui Jim have really good customer care who go the extra mile, even when out of warranty.

Otherwise there are repair companies who may be able to remedy the issue.

Craftsman
    I'm pretty sure the polarization is a layer, as when I get it on prescription glasses it's just a few quid extra. Any scratch removal will remove this layer but if they are unusable now anyway, there is nothing to lose really.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    If you really can’t do anything with them and they are a well known brand, try some polarised lenses from this site.

https://www.thesunglassfix.eu

I purchased replacement lenses for a pair of Oakley from them, came all the way from Australia in 7 days, cost £30 with free postage and no tax and they are as good as the originals.

Journeyman
    They’re glass lenses I’m pretty sure? But the scratches are only small, maybe most people could live with them but my OCD is screaming at me to get the polish out and get rid. It’s nothing that’s visible while wearing, not to the wearer anyway but probably would be to others.
    I’m gutted, the sun set about twenty minutes after I got to the party, what was I thinking?

Gaz

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Worth a try if they are glass, what brand?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    If you really can’t do anything with them and they are a well known brand, try some polarised lenses from this site.

I purchased replacement lenses for a pair of Oakley from them, came all the way from Australia in 7 days, cost £30 with free postage and no tax and they are as good as the originals.

Wow! That’s amazing, found them straight away, £32 with the polarised option. Thanks so much wjkerfoot, now I can get the polish out safe in the knowledge if something goes wrong it’s not gonna cost £200 for another pair!!

Gaz

Journeyman
    Worth a try if they are glass, what brand?

Prada PS54I

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglybug View Post
    Wow! That’s amazing, found them straight away, £32 with the polarised option. Thanks so much wjkerfoot, now I can get the polish out safe in the knowledge if something goes wrong it’s not gonna cost £200 for another pair!!

Gaz
    Great, glad you found that useful. You have several options for different tints as well. Very pleased with mine.

Grand Master
    Can’t believe folks will pay £200 for sunglasses! I’ve just ordered a pair of varifocal glasses with reactolight tint and they’ve only cost £200........am I missing something here?

As for polishing the lenses, It’s likely to introduce distortions because it isn’t possibleto do it in a uniform manner, I wouldn’t even attempt it.

Master

Polarised glasses

^^^^ I can’t believe you posted that comment on a watch forum where members regularly pay 10K+ for a watch.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Polarised glasses

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    ^^^^ I can’t believe you posted that comment on a watch forum where members regularly pay 10K+ for a watch.
    My thoughts exactly. Surely the ‘why do people pay £xxx’ applies to 99% of everything we buy?

Last edited by wjkerfoot; 21st April 2019 at 17:11.

Blog Entries
    Would diamond paste work on an iPhone screen?

Master
    The manufacturer may sell replacement lenses. Oakley certainly do.

Master

Do you know if these lenses a similar quality to the manufacturers, for example Oakley?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Mine replaced genuine Oakley Polarised and there was very little, if any difference.

My thoughts exactly. Surely the ‘why do people pay £xxx’ applies to 99% of everything we buy?

He's like a stuck record.

Master
    I paid over £400 for my Cartier sunglasses.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Not something I would think you would want to do given it is touch screen and very sensitive

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Can’t believe folks will pay £200 for sunglasses! I’ve just ordered a pair of varifocal glasses with reactolight tint and they’ve only cost £200........am I missing something here?

As for polishing the lenses, It’s likely to introduce distortions because it isn’t possibleto do it in a uniform manner, I wouldn’t even attempt it.
    Sounds like my dad haha

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    He's like a stuck record.
    And your point is?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I can’t see why not mate, I bought it to take a scratch out of an Apple Watch screen and it worked a treat. If it’s too deep maybe it would affect the touch screen but a superficial scratch shouldn’t be too much bother.

Gaz

Grand Master
    The point I was making regarding the cost is simple: I consider £200 to be a fair price to pay for a pair of optical glasses to be worn out of necessity, that’s the going rate. I consider sunglasses to be a far cheaper item, worn occasionally by folks who are lucky enough to still have good eyesight........I just don’t see how they can cost £200! For many years I wore reactolite tinted glasses, if I had to wear glasses it made sense to get the benefit of sunglasses too, and I was always prepared to oay a bit extra for this, but the idea of spending £200 on plain (non-optical) sunglasses is alien to me.

Given the choice I wouldn’t wear any glasses, but with my eyes that’s a no-no. Possibly folks see them as some type if style statement with certain brands being desirable..........I don’t!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The point I was making regarding the cost is simple: I consider £200 to be a fair price to pay for a pair of optical glasses to be worn out of necessity, that’s the going rate. I consider sunglasses to be a far cheaper item, worn occasionally by folks who are lucky enough to still have good eyesight........I just don’t see how they can cost £200! For many years I wore reactolite tinted glasses, if I had to wear glasses it made sense to get the benefit of sunglasses too, and I was always prepared to oay a bit extra for this, but the idea of spending £200 on plain (non-optical) sunglasses is alien to me.

Given the choice I wouldn’t wear any glasses, but with my eyes that’s a no-no. Possibly folks see them as some type if style statement with certain brands being desirable..........I don’t!
    Given that a Timex will do the same job as a Rolex, style obviously matters to quite a few people.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If the lenses are plastic then polywatch would probably do a great job.

If glass then look at small car windscreen polishing kits.

Thanks for that link

I have just ordered a replacement set of lenses for a set of wayfarers,

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglybug View Post
    I can’t see why not mate, I bought it to take a scratch out of an Apple Watch screen and it worked a treat. If it’s too deep maybe it would affect the touch screen but a superficial scratch shouldn’t be too much bother.

Gaz
    Ta!

Thanks for the replacement lens link, as my RayBan Top Bars were damaged by an idiot kicking a football that knocked over my wife's handbag inside which I had placed my sunnys, sending them flying and skidding on a tarmac footpath...

Mine replaced genuine Oakley Polarised and there was very little, if any difference.

You may not be aware of the difference, but there certainly will have been. It's a bit like buying a sub, then instead of servicing it putting a 2824 movement in.

I can't understand paying for Oakley's in the first place, and replacing the important bit with a lesser equivalent? Why buy a decent pair in the first place?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    You may not be aware of the difference, but there certainly will have been. It's a bit like buying a sub, then instead of servicing it putting a 2824 movement in.

I can't understand paying for Oakley's in the first place, and replacing the important bit with a lesser equivalent? Why buy a decent pair in the first place?

In what respect will the genuine lenses be better? If better at all I doubt they'll be very different. The glasses will still look like Oakleys which is the main thing. You're paying for a fashion brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    In what respect will the genuine lenses be better? If better at all I doubt they'll be very different. The glasses will still look like Oakleys which is the main thing. You're paying for a fashion brand.
    They are not really a fashion brand. If it's still around, have a look at the old pilots magazine reviews of lenses. They used to do extremely in depth analysis, including peripheral distortions and colour representation, and Oakley scored very favourably. And that didn't even include any of the impact protection standards they work to.

Not understanding the benefits doesn't mean they don't exist. It's no different to the layman saying a Casio is as good as a Rolex. It is, but only when viewed without understanding.

They are not really a fashion brand. If it's still around, have a look at the old pilots magazine reviews of lenses. They used to do extremely in depth analysis, including peripheral distortions and colour representation, and Oakley scored very favourably. And that didn't even include any of the impact protection standards they work to.

Not understanding the benefits doesn't mean they don't exist. It's no different to the layman saying a Casio is as good as a Rolex. It is, but only when viewed without understanding.

Sounds like very marginal benefits TBH. A Casio is as good as a Rolex for telling the time. Buyers (non laymen too) want a Rolex because its a Rolex (i.e. fashion)

Master

Completely agree with you, I cringed when I saw this and the Ray-Ban lenses being changed, especially as the genuine articles won’t be much more.

RE The quality of the lenses, I get the stance that replacing with after market is not ideal. However I have a pair that are badly scratched/ unwearable. Cheap replacement lenses will put them back it to service as a beater pair. As such it makes perfect sense to me.

Where is the best place to get replacement ray bans lens? assuming I go with branded replacements. Lots of links on Google but a recommendation would be handy. Dropped my favourite pair last summer and put a scratch bang centre of the lens.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Can I just add that the replacement lenses I purchased from the link I posted were for a spare pair of Oakley frames that had no lenses. I do have a pair with genuine lenses and can attest that they are of as good visual quality as the originals.

Just because they are cheaper does not necessarily make them worse as you are not paying the brand name premium. They do manufacture lenses for main stream brands (their info not mine). Makes a pair of unusable glasses usable but NOT my main pair.

Without wishing to open a can of worms, isn't that the same argument used by purveyors of (especially the better quality) fake watches? They still look like the real thing, and most people won't be able to tell the difference in functionality?

Personally, for branded functional items, I want the functional bits to be authentic - I want a Rolex movement in my Rolex watch, a Montblanc refill in my Montblanc pen, and Ray Ban lenses in my Ray Ban glasses. For non functional bits, I'm not so fussed and would be happy with aftermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Without wishing to open a can of worms, isn't that the same argument used by purveyors of (especially the better quality) fake watches? They still look like the real thing, and most people won't be able to tell the difference in functionality?

Personally, for branded functional items, I want the functional bits to be authentic - I want a Rolex movement in my Rolex watch, a Montblanc refill in my Montblanc pen, and Ray Ban lenses in my Ray Ban glasses. For non functional bits, I'm not so fussed and would be happy with aftermarket.
    Do you drive? If so, any aftermarket bits in your car?

Do you drive? If so, any aftermarket bits in your car?
    Yes, but not anything that materially affects functionality (and certainly not anything safety critical).

All of my cars are main dealer serviced, so any parts are manufacturer specified and approved, if not actually made by the car manufacturer themselves (for example, I don't know of any car manufacturer who makes their own tyres, but I only use manufacturer approved brands/sizes/speed ratings/load ratings).

I would not consider, for example, replacing the head unit in a car to be a material item (more akin to putting, say, a non-Omega strap on an Omega watch).