closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Explorer 1 (14270 / 114270) in Scotland?

Master

Explorer 1 (14270 / 114270) in Scotland?

I'm keen on an Explorer 1, but have been hoping to actually try one on. The 39mm is the only version now available new, but the Explorer line being traditionally 36mm, I'm more drawn to that. However, wondering which size fits me better.

I've been phoning around some places, but can't find anywhere with a 36mm Explorer. Anyone in Scotland seen a dealer that has one? Forlorn hope perhaps, I may find a unicorn before a steel rolex in a window, but wanted to ask! I'm near Edinburgh, but happy to travel if needed.

Craftsman
    I'm no help in finding you a watch to try but here's a comparison picture I saw on TRF:

I went for the 114270, fits well on my 6.75" wrist:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks, I've been looking at photos like that! Seeing them side by side on someone's wrist is helpful, and really got me leaning toward the original 36mm size. But no substitute for seeing on my own wrist, to see how it sits. I've made the mistake in the past of buying a watch then later finding the size, height, whatever just wasn't quite right.

I may need to do that in this case, as not being available new it's tough to track down (mind you, and steel Rolex is in that camp these days!). But still hoping I can find somewhere that has one in the window (maybe alongside Shergar, and Bigfoot...)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Thanks, I've been looking at photos like that! Seeing them side by side on someone's wrist is helpful, and really got me leaning toward the original 36mm size. But no substitute for seeing on my own wrist, to see how it sits. I've made the mistake in the past of buying a watch then later finding the size, height, whatever just wasn't quite right.
    You definitely need to try before you buy. Remember also the 114270 has solid end links so does wear a little larger than you'd expect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    You definitely need to try before you buy. Remember also the 114270 has solid end links so does wear a little larger than you'd expect.
    Thanks, hope I can manage to arrange that.
    Do the SEL make the 114270 wear differently to the 14270?

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    I'm no help in finding you a watch to try but here's a comparison picture I saw on TRF:

I went for the 114270, fits well on my 6.75" wrist:
    Same size wrist as me, and that does look really good. Redouble my efforts to track one down to try :-)

Apprentice
    I’d maybe try a wander through the argyle arcade in Glasgow and chance your luck.

Craftsman
    Thanks, hope I can manage to arrange that.
    Do the SEL make the 114270 wear differently to the 14270?
    Yes I currently have SEL's on my Explorer 1, Sub date and GMT and I did previously have models with non SEL. They just have a bit more presence on the wrist.

Craftsman

Explorer 1 (14270 / 114270) in Scotland?

Couple of other points on the 114270 vs 14270 (think I'm recalling these right):

- 114270 usually has engraved rehaut, can come without (mines without)
    - 14270 can be found with drilled lugs - 114270 can't (?)
    - 14270 blackout will cost more.. lots.

Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by alslater; 22nd April 2019 at 12:14.

Seeing them side by side on someone's wrist is helpful
    Much less so than you might think.

First, the 39 is closer to the camera (look at the side profile of your own arm to see by how much), which on a wide-angle lens gives a multiplied effect. Second, the taper of the arm sets up an unhelpful visual trick that further complicates any attempt at comparison.

For the picture to have been objectively useful, the photographer would probably need to post two pics, one of each watch, with the camera in the same position in each.

Apprentice
    There was 39mm Explorer in WOS in Glasgow last week. I was offered it on the off chance and it wasn't on display. There is a chance it might still be there.

Master
    Thanks. In the same RF thread they had this photo below, which does give the same perspective, albeit the lighting reflection is different. I do like the proportions of the 36mm.

Thanks for the heads up on WOS, I can maybe try to get through this weekend. I'll definitely still want to try the 36mm though, otherwise I'd always wonder if I'd like it more!

Thanks. In the same RF thread they had this photo below, which does give the same perspective, albeit the lighting reflection is different. I do like the proportions of the 36mm.

Thanks for the heads up on WOS, I can maybe try to get through this weekend. I'll definitely still want to try the 36mm though, otherwise I'd always wonder if I'd like it more!
    Don’t think the explorer 1 is still there.

Master
    Just to say I did manage to try an Explorer 1, thanks to an extremely kind invite from a TZ member. Had a lovely evening talking watches, and of course trying the Explorer 1.

My sincere thanks to him, and to TZ for helping make that connection. Really nice to be able to make those real world links and help.

Now I 'just' need to find a nice example to buy, without breaking the bank! :-)