closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: how often do you change jobs

Craftsman

how often do you change jobs

for those of you who are slaves to the wage, how often do you change jobs?
    If you have found your "job for life",how long did it take and why is it your ideal job for life?

My parents both had the baby boomer stereotypical jobs for life, which my mum gave up to look after the kids, couldnt be more textbook.

Im 37, working in IT & just starting my 5th job, averaging about 4 years per job.
    Im of an anxious disposition so Its hugely stressful moving companies, and i think i probably have at least 4 -6 more moves in my career before retirement unless i find the elusive "one" job & company that
    gives good salary, good work life balance and good, interesting work. I have not yet found this balance.

Master

how often do you change jobs

I stayed around in my first job too long, nearly 12 years.. I’ve had a job every couple of years since but found I really enjoy where a work now and I’m a bit younger than you at 34.. stay where you’re happy, 2 years into this job and it’s been great, no plans to go anywhere to be honest .. I work between engineering and management and there’s never a dull moment

Helps I’ve got a great boss that’s family orientated and gives me the time and flexibility we need, he’s always said as long as work gets done and deadlines are met he couldn’t care what happens in between times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Helps I’ve got a great boss that’s family orientated and gives me the time and flexibility we need, he’s always said as long as work gets done and deadlines are met he couldn’t care what happens in between times

Have that right now but unfortunately the work is not enjoyable as there is not much of it and what I get is not enough to keep skills honed. In IT so spending too long in a job were one gets no good experience or skill sharpening is severely detrimental within a few years.

I stayed as long as I reasonably thought I could but any longer will be diminishing Returns.

I also work in IT and I also average a 4 year tenure in my roles. Since being in IT from the age of 22 I have worked at six different companies, so just over 4 years.

I move on once I get bored and that normally happens when I have vested all my options. On my current gig I have a year and a half to go, but I could stay longer in this one if more options come across the table.

I change jobs and country every 3-4 years whilst remaining within the same overall organisation. It provides immense variety, constant development and also stability. I guess that it must be my ideal job for life as I've been doing it for 30 years and still enjoy every day.

I’ve been in my current job in the private sector for 14 years. As long as they keep the non-contributory final salary pension scheme, I’m never going anywhere else. No matter how much crap they throw at me.

Master
    I'm a little older than you at 42. I'm currently on my 7th job/company. My role has evolved quite a bit over my 22 working years. I started as a graphic designer doing print work, moved towards digital design and am now a user experience designer.

My first 2 jobs were as an in-house designer then I moved agency side. I stayed at 1 agency for 9 years but everywhere else it's been just a few years. Looking back on it I don't know how I coped in agencies for so long (16 years). It was very high pressure and working all night was a fairly regular occurrence. To top it off the money was crap, no pension, bonuses never happened and your job was constantly under threat.

In the last few years I've moved back to client side. I did a stint as a contractor. Good money but everything else about it was crap, so I didn't do it long. I'm now a "permi" with a large bank in one of their tech centres. At the moment I feel like I've found the perfect job and I'd happily stay here forever. The atmosphere and culture is great, the hours are short, the work is interesting, money is good, great benefits, good boss, good internal mobility opportunities. Only complaint is the coffee isn't the best. I'll stay here until I retire if it stays like this.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Master
    I've worked in engineering since leaving school at 16 to start an apprenticeship 45 years ago.
    First job lasted 16 years then the next one 6 years. I paid into final salary pension schemes at those firms and they've been deferred since 1996.

Other than the fact you leave a trail of pensions behind in hindsight 5 years maximum would be long enough in any job.

Some of the jobs I've had have only lasted a matter of months and been awful.

Other than in 2009 when i was made redundant there's been plenty of jobs about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I change jobs and country every 3-4 years whilst remaining within the same overall organisation. It provides immense variety, constant development and also stability. I guess that it must be my ideal job for life as I've been doing it for 30 years and still enjoy every day.
    I’ve also been in the same overall organisation for 20 years, in fact it was 20 years a couple of days ago! I like the stability, pension etc. But I’ve been able to work in a range of jobs in a number of Departments changing role every 2-3 years. Currently in Programme Management but I’m not keen, would prefer to go back to Policy and Strategy next time. I’ve been in post two years so I’m starting to look now.

Every 18 months to 2 years or so, sometimes within the same organisation sometimes to a new company, always sales and business development roles in B2B ,B2C and finally customer/ contract publishing last job, about 18 years total. It was the best way to keep moving up salary/ commission package and keep progressively adding to savings/investments. Alongside this got into self renovating property for buy to let, this was after a year or so, stint as a commercial/industrial realtor in the USA.
    Managed to stop at 40, 8 years ago, though the property/investment side needs an eye kept on it, not hard/regular work by any means.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    I seem to have slightly more staying power than most. I was in my first two jobs for 7 years each, my third for 4 years and my current role for just over 11 years. The 7 year itch thing really rings true for me. I did actually have a new position on the table 4 years ago but but something stopped my jumping ship and I’m still going. Mind you my current employer is renowned for getting long service; plenty of my colleagues are at 25 years plus and some over 40 years which I find incredible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    Have that right now but unfortunately the work is not enjoyable as there is not much of it and what I get is not enough to keep skills honed. In IT so spending too long in a job were one gets no good experience or skill sharpening is severely detrimental within a few years.

I stayed as long as I reasonably thought I could but any longer will be diminishing Returns.
    I hear you, luckily for me I’ve a lot of challenging work and projects on at the moment so no need to be looking just yet, change is a good thing if you’re bored and in need of a challenge in 2015 I kept a job less than 9 months because it was awful and moved as soon as I could.. most boring place ever

Hello

Will be 19 years in the same sector in July have worked in a number of departments with 2 moves after 13 and 5 years.

Quite happy where I am at the moment as I e joy the freedom of the job but might look for promotion at some point as am just about surviving.

Due to my daughter am unable to work abroad and when she’s old enough and off to Uni back to Devon for me. In my job would only lose London Weighting which isn’t a great deal.

A technical Apprenticeship for 5 years then next company for 35 years.
    Why?
    Best paying company in a high paying sector with final salary pension.
    But a potentially dangerous job ( seen first hand, a fatality and some pretty horrific injuries)
    Retired at 56 though, so as far as I’m concerned it worked out.
    I’ve seen few younger folks willing to commit to that type of life though.

Master
    I'm averaging about 2.5 years between roles, however in that time a couple were very short stop gap jobs, and a couple I was made redundant due to office relocations, making my tenure there shorter than it could have been,

Hello

As GOAT touched on I meet a lot of youngsters (people under 30 / 25) who seem to think they can bounce around departments / roles every year and build up enough experience and corporate knowledge and life skills to put them in good stead.

I don’t doubt their intelligence and commitment just think you need to do at least 2 years in a role to understand it and what you’re supposed to be doing.

In the 15 years between graduating and setting up in business aged 36 I had 5 employed positions. People rarely do themselves favours by standing still.

Master
    I’ve been permanent since about 1995.

Was on my 5th job until recently now freelance but a few other places seem to be interested in offering me permanent roles , not sure I want them though.

It depends on the job, company culture, the boss, how much fun i am having, the new things i get to learn about and how much impact i am having. In the big companies i move around internally as much as i did between the smaller companies, it is just less visible externally. Normally 2years per role / company. In September i will have been with my current employer 12 years.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I started my current job for life 7th January this year, I started looking for a new one 7th March! It’s not what I was told it would be.

so been in the same occupation for the last 30 years , but in the present job 15 years ( but tuped twice)as a insurance engineer but its a diminishing role with the advent of AI and algorithms/IT put in pace to make decision we used to make , its about averages/ cost reduction with the IT solutions and employment of cheaper no experience younger people to just administrate the system, & on a 1/3 of our wages, some decisions they get right some they get wrong all the company care about is the bottom line ( having recently gone PLC).
    @63 this year I no long enjoy my work , its a core which I now have to do till 66 unless IT replaces me in the mean time :-) and @63 there is not other role for me to undertake or would want to , looking forward to retirement .
    when I started my first engineer job it was considered a "job for life" I don't believe there is anything such as "a job for life" nowadays ,its not how the world works . :-(
    Last edited by mitch1956; 21st April 2019 at 12:49.

Craftsman
    The responses here have been great. As i said im in a very comfortable job right now, pays at the top of my field, but no further room for promotion upward or laterally & the work is easy meaning im no longer gaining anything to help me get a better job, and am actually stagnating. In another 1-2 years i think il be less employable.

But people rarely leave the place as its so cushy and easy going, which had me thinking i was just a sucker for punishment by leaving. Just sit it out, enjoy the easy life.
    But its clear now that even this super safe job is not a job for life, and i couldnt possibly stay there for the next 30 years doing SFA, and left with no options to go anywhere else.

I knew this but needed a few outside opinions based on their careers. You all have helped immensly.

And to you guys on a DB pension, You lucky F**Kers! Nobody is giving them out now days!

Master
    30 years.

But its clear now that even this super safe job is not a job for life, and i couldnt possibly stay there for the next 30 years doing SFA, and left with no options to go anywhere else.

my advice would be diversify, get a broad range of experience in as many different fields as you can, and more importantly while you can! as you will be in a better position later in life . advice from a old man :-)

Master
    Got made redundant (seven years ago) from my ‘safe job’ that I had been in for 20 years and have had three jobs since then!
    I think I am doomed to crap jobs from now on as my IT skills are now out of date and the print trade I was in for 35 years has collapsed.
    Yep I’m depressed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the managerial field, two years seems about average - a year to learn the job, a year to properly break things, and then move on before your cock ups catch up with you. This also leaves plenty of scope for the next guy to do a complete reorganisation so that he looks like he's doing something.

This isn't a completely flippant reply, as I'm sure many can relate.

Thomas Reid
    25 years in this one.

Best wishes,
    Bob

34 years. I've only ever had one job. I'm quitting/retiring soon, not sure what to do next.

Craftsman
    Never.Im a stick in the mud lol. I f’ing hate change and the older I’m getting the worse I’m getting.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I've been working for the same company for over 22 years, but I've been outsourced (twice) and TUPEd back into the original company. I've also had about ten roles working up from trainee programmer to enterprise architect.

Can't say that I've ever been bored, but my next move is likely to be out of the company and into London as the glass ceiling is getting very close now.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

Master
    I normally change every 2.5 years whether I like it or not

Master
    for those of you who are slaves to the wage, how often do you change jobs?
    If you have found your "job for life",how long did it take and why is it your ideal job for life?

My parents both had the baby boomer stereotypical jobs for life, which my mum gave up to look after the kids, couldnt be more textbook.

Im 37, working in IT & just starting my 5th job, averaging about 4 years per job.
    Im of an anxious disposition so Its hugely stressful moving companies, and i think i probably have at least 4 -6 more moves in my career before retirement unless i find the elusive "one" job & company that
    gives good salary, good work life balance and good, interesting work. I have not yet found this balance.
    You really should only feel anxious before move 1 and 2 the rest as they say.

Don't anchor yourself to a company a procedure or a person - they are all transient.

Look after your own pension

Not all baby boomers are "jobs for lifers"

If you want to look at taking a big picture job - OK the rates are good but it's no picnic and some people think that you are sh****g on them when you're not - so get used to being hated by jealous types who think thay know what you are earning. Plus, the big consultancies target you as an enemy and you have to defend your position constantly.

If you are technical - keep those skills. I employ people from 15 -20 european centres for maybe a month or two in some cases on the basis of personal recommendations - I never see them - they deliver code- we test it job done.

First time I did this sort of contract was with a lady who left the company to have a child in the mid seventies and she was ace coding RPG ll.

I hade her retained on contract for an oil major for four years.

Don't sweat the the job rep - if youre good do what you want that suits you but look after your own intrerests first.

Just another side of the fence perspective - it sometimes helps.

Good luck
    Last edited by Brian; 21st April 2019 at 22:19.

Craftsman
    7, 2, 14 and 11 in my current company.
    I think it all depends on desired career progression V family and quality of life.
    Always tried to keep a work life balance.
    Plus have never been interested in moving outside of the West Country as despite travelling a great deal and seeing many places it is still simply the best place to live and bring up your children.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Same job with the same company for the last 27 years and I will remain so until retirement. I am not unusual in this....it is a company where the job is long term. I work with people I have known for up to 27 years and some who have been in the job much longer than me. I have trained many people who are now my friends and have been so for many years.

Craftsman
    C# developer and I've had four jobs in 14 years. My longest was eight years and then I felt that I wasn't picking up transferable knowledge anymore, so moved on.

Craftsman
    After completing an apprenticeship I had a couple of jobs of a year or so and then went self employed from 1984 to 1995. I then worked for a company from 1995 to 2010 where I had complete control and built my side of the business up until they started poking their nose in and eventually got rid of me thinking they knew better. They lost their main contract literally two days later and I’ve been running my own business since then. Not only that, their staff came with me and their biggest client gave me their contracts as they only trusted me and my team to get the job done. They tried to get out of the lease for the premises they had but they were eventually taken to court and it cost them £50k. Sweet, sweet karma.

34 years this August with the same company working as an engineer.. need to retire in next 8-10 years.

Blog Entries
    I’ve only ever been with two firms…. The first one for 17 years and the second for 5 years to date….

They are both huge and I have had multiple jobs within both of them…. So it’s kept me fresh and interested…. I’m about to start another role for my existing company which should keep me occupied for a few years!

There is plenty of variety in what I do and as I really come up with the ideas I have to work on anyway it keeps it Interesting …

Master
    Fifteen years with the same firm which was my first proper graduate job. The projects are varied and generally interesting if sometimes a bit repetitive. Progression is probably slower than it should be but I am too laid back to actively chase promotion. I was given the opportunity to work in the Middle East for a year which was a great experience. I could get a bit more money for the same role but that would entail a commute into London which would probably mean I'd be worse off and more stressed.

I work in a good, relaxed team which helps with the motivation to get out of bed. The atmosphere in the office is good and collaborative. Fortunately in the engineering world there is a lot less of the office politics and struggles to climb the greasy pole that I hear about in other jobs.

It suits my current lifestyle as I can walk to the office having dropped the Boy off at school. I've rarely missed a bedtime due to work and can work from home if he is unwell.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Master
    2, 7 and then the last 14 working for myself, a few business partners comes and gone, I can’t imagine ever going back to working for someone but would if I had too.

I do class myself as being lucky to be able to set up my own business and not have to join the corporate world but appreciate this isn’t possible for the vast majority.

Master
    3.5 in my first job, then approaching 31 in my second and current.
    My current job has suited me perfectly, worked on nights a lot which gave me flexibility to dabble in property and renovations.
    Been permanent nights for the past 3 years which allows me to avoid paying extortionate childcare costs and also have huge amounts of quality time with my kids. Week on/ 2 weeks off shift also helps.
    Can retire any time but I still enjoy work so will hang on for a bit.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Interesting question and replies.
    I have been in my job 21 years and probably unlikely to move.
    I am a GP-when I got this job I worked with 5 other GPs who all managed 25-30 years in this practice!

First job 42 years, second job 3 years and counting (does playing with steam trains count as a job?).

Master
    16 years, 6 years, 8 months, 18 months, 7 years, *2.5 years*, 6 months, 6 months, 3 months, 5 years and back where i was for 2.5 years, which is also the last job I'll have.

Master
    50 this year but most of my working life was spent in an incredibly volatile industry where it was common to turn up at work to either find the bailiffs carrying your workstation out of the doors and the directors 'on holiday' in the bahamas with their money hats, or, to find your personal belongings in a box and your marching papers on your desk thanks to 'enhancing shareholder value' when your project finished.
    I rolled around in this sewer for 25 years and then jumped when given the opportunity to move into more traditional software engineering and architecture. My current job has lasted me 7 years and I can't see me voluntarily moving on. If I did get made redundant or the company collapsed I'd probably go into contracting.

Only once, in 1975 when I was 18. Left the Civil Service after 18 months, and spent the following 32 years in the Fire Service.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by frogspawn View Post
    First job 42 years, second job 3 years and counting (does playing with steam trains count as a job?).

depends:

1. are they models or full sized real steam trains?
    2. if they are models, do you sell them?

:-)

Journeyman
    My present role, nearly 5 years retired. Best job I've ever had.

depends:

1. are they models or full sized real steam trains?
    2. if they are models, do you sell them?

:-)
    Real full size hot and smelly!!

DSC_7848 copy by David Brenchley, on Flickr

17 years this one, but looking at a move at the moment. My record was 8 moves in one year! But that was back in the 80's