closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What GMT for £600 or less?

Journeyman

What GMT for £600 or less?

I have a budget of around £600 for a watch. I was originally going for a £200 dive but got a bonus at work.

I work away a bit and do reset my watch to the local time zone.

I do like tool watches in general and would have to have something at least swim proof.

I am not massively into homage watches though.

What are your thoughts.

Blog Entries
    Davosa GMT ?

z

If you're not into homage watches, then what about a Vostok Komandirskie for 170 quid? 200m water resist too.

Last edited by SimonK; 20th April 2019 at 22:34.

Journeyman
    The problem I have with the homage watches is that they just look like a Rolex, and whilst I do like Rolex I cant afford one. Or at least justify one right now. I've nothing against them specifically I just either want a Rolex or something different.

Master
    If you want a travellers GMT rather than an office GMT ( hour hand adjusts in jumps without hacking the movement, useful when you land and want to jump the local time forward or back a few hours as opposed to tracking a 2nd time zone with the 24 hour hand). Then you are looking at, broadly speaking, Rolex, Omega or Seiko.
    Seiko probably fits your parameters best but for the money it’s going to be a kinetic. Unfortunately their new 6r64 auto gmt is in special editions only at the moment.
    Another option is the Alpina startimer gmt which is maybe a little over budget but has a style all of its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    If you're not into homage watches, then what about a Vostok Komandirskie for 170 quid? 200m water resist too.

And that is certainly different.

I like this Certina, 80 hour movement as well:

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    If you want a travellers GMT rather than an office GMT ( hour hand adjusts in jumps without hacking the movement, useful when you land and want to jump the local time forward or back a few hours as opposed to tracking a 2nd time zone with the 24 hour hand). Then you are looking at, broadly speaking, Rolex, Omega or Seiko.
    Seiko probably fits your parameters best but for the money it’s going to be a kinetic. Unfortunately their new 6r64 auto gmt is in special editions only at the moment.
    Another option is the Alpina startimer gmt which is maybe a little over budget but has a style all of its own.

Budget is just a guideline right 😉. Is there a model number for the alpine?

Master
    Surely a Dreadnought Voyager

What GMT for £600 or less?

Have a look at Glycine Airman’s, several different designs like Base 22, Purist, most are 200m WR and I think they look great, and nothing like a Rolex!!

Some are out of your budget but secondhand around £500 and good deals on Massdrop.
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 20th April 2019 at 22:59.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorstuff View Post
    The problem I have with the homage watches is that they just look like a Rolex, and whilst I do like Rolex I cant afford one. Or at least justify one right now. I've nothing against them specifically I just either want a Rolex or something different.
    Have a look at this;
    http://www.gnomonwatches.com/ocean-39-gmt-premium-500

Not a Rolex homage and under your budget. I too loved the Pepsi but was a little uneasy about the homage thing. I really want to try one on, maybe compare it to the Pepsi but this may be my next watch.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    I like it a lot, where do I find one?

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Have a look at Glycine Airman’s, several different designs like Base 22, Purist, most are 200m WR and I think they look great, and nothing like a Rolex!!

Some are out of your budget but secondhand around £500 and good deals on Massdrop.
    +1

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post

I'm slightly confused about the 2 types of GMT. Is it that with one type the hour hand jumps in hours only? If so what do you do when visiting places like India where the zone includes a half hour difference? ie GMT +5.5.

Master
    How about this, not exactly a GMT but you can set the smaller sub dial on the right to show different time zones (mine currently set to Thailand). With the push of a button it swaps the main dial and the sub dial around until you swap it back round again. Very handy if you travel a bit.

Master
    I like it a lot, where do I find one?
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    I was thinking the same. This is mine and it is a fantastic watch - picked up from SC but new is slightly outside of your budget at £875

https://www.timefactors.com/dreadnoughtvoyager.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I'm slightly confused about the 2 types of GMT. Is it that with one type the hour hand jumps in hours only? If so what do you do when visiting places like India where the zone includes a half hour difference? ie GMT +5.5.
    Yes, on “true/travellers” GMT’s the hour hand can de-coupled from the movement and moved forward or backward to correspond to whatever time zone you are in, whilst the minutes and seconds are still running.

I can only answer for the Tudor BB gmt, but if you are in a time zone that has a half hour differential then I think you would have to use the bezel. The bezel can be used to record a third time zone and on the Tudor the bezel clicks 4 times between 5 minute markers rather than the convential 5 times. This allows it to record the time in places with a half hour time differential.

Some GMT’s have a freely rotating bezel (i.e. it doesn’t click into place) which means that they can set anywhere the wearer wants. And record any timezone the wearer wants. My Vostok does this.

Getting back to the OP, my only observation would be that if you are only going to wear the watch occasionally and you don’t use a watch winder, then be aware that quick set date is sacrificed to allow the independent hour hand function on most if not all watches with true gmt function, which means setting the date can take a while!!

I’m not sure if any true gmt watches retain quickset date?

Last edited by Onespeed; 21st April 2019 at 08:19.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    This, but buy the Jubilee bracelet at the same time

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onespeed View Post
    Yes, on “true/travellers” GMT’s the hour hand can de-coupled from the movement and moved forward or backward to correspond to whatever time zone you are in, whilst the minutes and seconds are still running.

I can only answer for the Tudor BB gmt, but if you are in a time zone that has a half hour differential then I think you would have to use the bezel. The bezel can be used to record a third time zone and on the Tudor the bezel clicks 4 times between 5 minute markers rather than the convential 5 times. This allows it to record the time in places with a half hour time differential.

Some GMT’s have a freely rotating bezel (i.e. it doesn’t click into place) which means that they can set anywhere the wearer wants. And record any timezone the wearer wants. My Vostok does this.

Getting back to the OP, my only observation would be that if you are only going to wear the watch occasionally and you don’t use a watch winder, then be aware that quick set date is sacrificed to allow the independent hour hand function on most if not all watches with true gmt function, which means setting the date can take a while!!

I’m not sure if any true gmt watches retain quickset date?

Oh it will be a daily wearer, I was just saying a travel occasionally.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    This, but buy the Jubilee bracelet at the same time

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Have a look at this;
    http://www.gnomonwatches.com/ocean-39-gmt-premium-500

Not a Rolex homage and under your budget. I too loved the Pepsi but was a little uneasy about the homage thing. I really want to try one on, maybe compare it to the Pepsi but this may be my next watch.
    wouldn't both of these be considered homage watches? they look like rolexs to me. Maybe my terminology and understanding of "homage watch" is wrong?

I would go for a Seiko Sun19 or one of the other colour variations of the same watch. I have the black version with orange highlights.
    It’s my go to travel / holiday watch.
    A true travellers GMT. Kinetic movement, great lume and super robust as it’s a variation on the Seiko Tuna case.
    The are around £500 new but can be picked up for a lot less 2nd hand. It is a big watch though.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I was thinking the same. This is mine and it is a fantastic watch - picked up from SC but new is slightly outside of your budget at £875

Can someone educate me about dreadnought and indeed timefactors? is timefactors a "brand" that re-creates watches of old? or a retail site? or a combination.

I've always liked these but they are massive! I'm not sure why Seiko have never put that Kinetic 5M89 movement into something smaller and preferably solar powered, it would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I would go for a Seiko Sun19 or one of the other colour variations of the same watch. I have the black version with orange highlights.
    A true travellers GMT. Kinetic movement, great lume and super robust as it’s a variation on the Seiko Tuna case.
    The are around £500 new but can be picked up for a lot less 2nd hand. It is a big watch though.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Glycine is probably the best answer given your criteria. There are plenty of models in different configurations (12-hour and 24 hour versions, with or without a fourth hand, etc.) and with different diameters (from 36 - 44mm) on Ebay from US sellers - even directly from Glycine - at between 400 and 450 quid, so allowing for VAT at 20% plus the shipping costs, they still come in under your budget. Even if Glycine is owned by Invicta today, the brand has lots of heritage and is not an homage to anything.

Edit: if you buy from Glycine Direct on Ebay and use the global shipping option, the price you pay is the final price, there is nothing extra to pay on arrival.

This one, for example, would work out at 615ish quid delivered direct from Glycine

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glycine-3...AAAOSw7SFbt5GN

And this'n would be 415ish.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glycine-3...8AAOSwAfVbt5Po
    Last edited by SimonK; 21st April 2019 at 10:17.

Try a WTB for a used Voyager, which should be inside your budget.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    There’s 3 super suggestions on here I was going to say steinhart but the certina and the voyager are excellent choices too

Casio

I’m with Mr Curta and the Casio it’s time changing a d app is very very good
    Change from £300

Master
    The tz-uk host is the owner of Timefactors. He also owns the brands he sells. Some/most are homages, some are new design. The quality is generally top notch for the price.

Can someone educate me about dreadnought and indeed timefactors? is timefactors a "brand" that re-creates watches of old? or a retail site? or a combination.

Master
    wouldn't both of these be considered homage watches? they look like rolexs to me. Maybe my terminology and understanding of "homage watch" is wrong?
    Pretty much most dive style watches have some resemblance to the Rolex Submariner I guess. The Steinhart Pepsi is very much like a 5 digit GMT in respect of the "Mercedes" handset, date at 3 o'clock, and the cyclops over the date. The Steinhart case shapes are subtly different and on the GMT 500 the hands are totally different, and the date is at 6 sans cyclops. The 6 digit BLNR, which is the only blue/black Rolex GMT (no BLNR was offered in the 5 digit range) has a much squarer case shape, date and cyclops at 3. Compare pictures of both and to my eye the Steinhart is different enough to move it away from what I would view as a homage.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Pretty much most dive style watches have some resemblance to the Rolex Submariner I guess. The Steinhart Pepsi is very much like a 5 digit GMT in respect of the "Mercedes" handset, date at 3 o'clock, and the cyclops over the date. The Steinhart case shapes are subtly different and on the GMT 500 the hands are totally different, and the date is at 6 sans cyclops. The 6 digit BLNR, which is the only blue/black Rolex GMT (no BLNR was offered in the 5 digit range) has a much squarer case shape, date and cyclops at 3. Compare pictures of both and to my eye the Steinhart is different enough to move it away from what I would view as a homage.
    You are right, it is not a homage. It is a blatant ripoff.
    Nothing against Steinhart. They make decent copies at affordable price. But if there was no BLNR, there won't be the Steinhart in question. Don't want to revive copy/homage/replica debate but let us call them what they are. I have several Steinhart watches and I enjoy them but most of them are 'heavily inspired' to put it kindly. Those minor differences don't mean much.

Master
    As said Glycine or Dreadnought.

I came across Zelos watches via another forum and they have an Horizon GMT that could be worth a look.

Master
    I have owned and thoroughly enjoyed my Steinhart Pepsi 39mm on Jubilee now for 9 months. It's a cracking homage for the money and the fit is perfect for me. I also like the Davosa Pepsi GMT and the Squale Tropic but they would be too big sadly for my 7"wrist. If you're not a fan of the whole Rolex homage then steer clear but as others have mentioned, the Ocean 500 might just be the right fit? The Certina is also very nice.

Edit: https://www.certina.com/watch/ds-act...C0324291105100
    Last edited by stix; 21st April 2019 at 12:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    You are right, it is not a homage. It is a blatant ripoff.
    Nothing against Steinhart. They make decent copies at affordable price. But if there was no BLNR, there won't be the Steinhart in question. Don't want to revive copy/homage/replica debate but let us call them what they are. I have several Steinhart watches and I enjoy them but most of them are 'heavily inspired' to put it kindly. Those minor differences don't mean much.
    No, you are absolutely right, we don't want to revive that debate. It was just my opinion and thought it may be helpful. OP's probably already made up his mind anyway.

Journeyman
    Thing is I do like rolex watches, a lot.

So I find myself liking the steinharts, but they are homage watches despite small differences that all but a few would pick up on. They offer great value for money on the specifications etc. but I would cringe if someone said "wow you've got a batman rolex" - er no I have a steinhart. "a what?"

But I can't have it both ways.. I like many others like the rolex brand, so my watch choice is always going to lean toward that tool watch rolex look.. everytime I think "yes I am going to get a steinhart" something holds me back.

This is why I like the seikos... they are seiko! MM300 Tuna aint trying to copy anyone, but I have had one of those (and this is a GMT thread)

Still no idea what I am going to get - the dreadnought prs21 looks to be a hefty piece... my concern with that one is m6 6.5" writs size. Other than that it has bags of character and ticks all the specifications boxes and if i ever got bored it seems to have a good following so I wouldn't lose too much money on it.

I don't mind the christopher ward range but a new purchase is going to lose me quite a bit and the brand doesn't seem stable enough, new ranges here there any everywhere.

Master
    Thing is I do like rolex watches, a lot.

So I find myself liking the steinharts, but they are homage watches despite small differences that all but a few would pick up on. They offer great value for money on the specifications etc. but I would cringe if someone said "wow you've got a batman rolex" - er no I have a steinhart. "a what?"

But I can't have it both ways.. I like many others like the rolex brand, so my watch choice is always going to lean toward that tool watch rolex look.. everytime I think "yes I am going to get a steinhart" something holds me back.

This is why I like the seikos... they are seiko! MM300 Tuna aint trying to copy anyone, but I have had one of those (and this is a GMT thread)

Still no idea what I am going to get - the dreadnought prs21 looks to be a hefty piece... my concern with that one is m6 6.5" writs size. Other than that it has bags of character and ticks all the specifications boxes and if i ever got bored it seems to have a good following so I wouldn't lose too much money on it.

I don't mind the christopher ward range but a new purchase is going to lose me quite a bit and the brand doesn't seem stable enough, new ranges here there any everywhere.
    It's funny you say that about comments on a Steinhart as it's happened to me twice in the last 6 weeks, but I really couldn't care less! I show them what it is, explain the background and move on. If someone is going to judge me on that basis I don't want to know them anyway. I've been around watches long enough and owned a few Rolex along the way. I still love them but I'm not willing to play the game and the pricing is now out of reach, but that's ok. I love Horology and that's what I am passionate about. I have had dozens of Seikos and Citizens and enjoyed them all and for now I enjoy my Steinharts.

Good luck in your search
    Last edited by stix; 21st April 2019 at 15:46.

Craftsman
    Think i would be more comfortable wearing a Steinhart GMT than a Rolex GMT when travelling overseas

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bins View Post
    Think i would be more comfortable wearing a Steinhart GMT than a Rolex GMT when travelling overseas
    this is an excellent point, with something blue and black on your wrist you might as well say rob me nowadays! thankfully when i am away, i barely see anything other than a taxi, the hotel or the clients office.

So that when the mugger gets close enough, he will say- look the case shape is subtly different, there is no cyclops and the date is at 6 o'clock. This is not a Rolex, let this guy go!

Craftsman
    Dont recall saying anything about mugging. I would just feel more at ease with the Steinhart when travelling, regardless of having a Rolex. Some people like to give a cocky response, even when theres no call for it

Dont recall saying anything about mugging. I would just feel more at ease with the Steinhart when travelling, regardless of having a Rolex. Some people like to give a cocky response, even when theres no call for it
    Sorry if I misinterpreted but am not sure for what other reason would you feel 'more comfortable' when traveling 'overseas' wearing a cheaper lookalike? It is perfectly fine to wear a Steinhart GMT even when not traveling but am not sure why it should make someone feel more at ease wearing a lookalike if not for the fear of being mugged or stolen.

I know which I'd rather have nicked off me

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I know which I'd rather have nicked off me
    Ha! True but obviously it is just one of worries when getting mugged. In fact a mugger might be more upset at going to all the trouble for a naught.
    To be fair, I have a Davosa GMT and is a damn good looking watch and I prefer the slightly larger size and I wear it with pleasure but never for fear of being mugged. I don't think there is a need for any justification for wearing a homage or an inspired watch. It is a matter of preference. If one likes the looks and doesn't want to splurge, is a good enough reason.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 21st April 2019 at 20:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    That would be an excellent choice. Somewhat underrated but a pretty good watch

Seiko Landmaster - I guess same movement as the SUN019 but much more wearable. The one piece titanium and fine bezel sets this watch apart. It is a magnificent watch frankly, one of my all time favourites.

EDIT - I also own a Voyager, another cracking watch. Maybe slightly big for you, but wears better on a NATO. Not a 'true' GMT however and can be a pain to set when travelling. The Seikos are however.

I do love a good GMT!

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post

What's the SC price on a Dreadnaught GMT?

I really like the Citizen Nighthawks at the cheaper end of your budget, and you could save your bonus.

https://www.jomashop.com/citizen-bj7000-52e.html?utm_source=googleproduct&utm_medium=cpc&u tm_campaign=googleproductsearch_uk&pt_source=googl eads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=(ROI)+Shopping+(UK) +-+Sale+Watches+$100+-+500&gclid=CjwKCAjw_MnmBRAoEiwAPRRWW5rq0gv1ymcSyYJ KRd5_aZND0RBsIGIKv_N2QuKqaG9It6vmNpaLgxoCKUkQAvD_B wE

Alternatively, you might find a Squale Ceramica in budget somewhere? On the high end of your budget, and also very much a "homage," but a very nice looking watch.

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/30-atmo...a-sel-bracelet

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    It's funny you say that about comments on a Steinhart as it's happened to me twice in the last 6 weeks, but I really couldn't care less! I show them what it is, explain the background and move on. If someone is going to judge me on that basis I don't want to know them anyway. I've been around watches long enough and owned a few Rolex along the way. I still love them but I'm not willing to play the game and the pricing is now out of reach, but that's ok. I love Horology and that's what I am passionate about. I have had dozens of Seikos and Citizens and enjoyed them all and for now I enjoy my Steinharts.

Good luck in your search

I do agree on this one.
    The Steinhart Ocean 39 is a pretty decent watch. The size is perfect and it does what it is supposed to do. I actually think it would be the perfect holiday watch: 300m resistance, good size, classic looks (heavily inspired by Rolex of course), and not too expensive to worry too much about it.

Master
    You don’t have to travel abroad to have that feeling . From memory there was a case in South London where 2 guys went around a house to buy a Rolex. However they decided to pull a gun and buy it for nothing. The three men then struggled and the gun went off repeatedly killing one of the robbers and injuring the other assailant plus robbery victim. The non dead robber legged it. When the Police investigated they found the Watch was actually a fake!

I’d feel so safe walking around certain parts of London with a Rollie. Err not!