closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What GMT for £600 or less?

You probably get one of these for your budget

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    You probably get one of these for your budget
    Had a bit of a double-take there. That's a Vacheron? Under £600. Oh, wait.

I just picked up a great Seiko Landmaster for under £500. Proper GMT, 6 month power reserve, and perfect 40mm size!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    I just picked up a great Seiko Landmaster for under £500. Proper GMT, 6 month power reserve, and perfect 40mm size!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best watch ever in my collection. If I had to reduce to one this would be it. Anything more expensive would be sold and this would always remain. Cracking!

Craftsman
    Interesting thread. I’ve been looking for a good GMT for it would seem like ages. But without having to pay Tudor/Omega/GS/Rolex prices...

The one that stands out for me is the Certina DS Action GMT. It’s fairly unusual in that it’s a true traveller GMT with an independent hour hand, but using an ETA movement.

As previously mentioned the downside of traveler GMT’s, and also true of the above premium brands, is that you loose the quickset date function as the 2nd crown position is used to quick set the hour hand. Therefore it a pain to set the date if you let it stop for any length of time.

However, it’s a nice option that seems to have been largely overlooked. It’s also pretty cheap for what it offers as it retails at £795 and I’ve seen it offered at nearer to £700.

Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post
    Interesting thread. I’ve been looking for a good GMT for it would seem like ages. But without having to pay Tudor/Omega/GS/Rolex prices...

The one that stands out for me is the Certina DS Action GMT. It’s fairly unusual in that it’s a true traveller GMT with an independent hour hand, but using an ETA movement.

As previously mentioned the downside of traveler GMT’s, and also true of the above premium brands, is that you loose the quickset date function as the 2nd crown position is used to quick set the hour hand. Therefore it a pain to set the date if you let it stop for any length of time.

However, it’s a nice option that seems to have been largely overlooked. It’s also pretty cheap for what it offers as it retails at £795 and I’ve seen it offered at nearer to £700.

Dreadnought Voyager GMT PRS-21, using an ETS 2893-2 Elaboree movement. 1ˢᵗ crown position, anti clockwise is quick set date, clockwise advances the GMT hand in 1 hour steps.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman

What GMT for £600 or less?

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Dreadnought Voyager GMT PRS-21, using an ETS 2893-2 Elaboree movement. 1ˢᵗ crown position, anti clockwise is quick set date, clockwise advances the GMT hand in 1 hour steps.
    Yes I agree, that’s standard ETA gmt functionality whereby the 4th gmt hand is quick set.

What I’m referring to the the opposite where the main hour hand, NOT the gmt hand, can be quick set.

With the crown pulled out:
    1st crown position - hand winds as normal.

3rd crown position - sets the local hour/mins and the gmt hand.

2nd crown position - advances/retards the local hour hand which in turn advances/retards the date as the hour hand passes forwards/backwards past the 12 indice.

This is also how Rolex/Tudor/Omega/Grand Seiko GMT movements work and they all require you to wind the local hour hand past the 12 indice as many times as necessary to set the required date.

This is an ‘in house’ special ETA movement (C07.661) only apparently available to a few Swatch group brands; Certina, Mido and possibly Rado?
    Last edited by timor54; 15th July 2019 at 23:25.

Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post
    This is also how Rolex/Tudor/Omega/Grand Seiko GMT movements work and they all require you to wind the local hour hand past the 12 indice as many times as necessary to set the required date.
    It is not just Grand Seiko models that do this, the much more humble Kinetic Seiko GMTs are exactly the same.
    D