closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Dynamic Mk1

Omega Dynamic Mk1

I'm asking the forum to talk me out of buying this Omega Dynamic from 1969

The description is as follows:

- Stainless steel case with 40 mm in diameter (measured without crown), case back engraved
    - Black dial signed Omega Geneve Dynamic red center second hand
    - Omega cal. 601 manual wind movement
    - Original Omega Dynamic bracelet with all its links

Condition: The watch is in perfect working condition, serviced in 2019, the case is in very good shape and still has its original finish, all parts (crown, crystal) are original and signed with the Omega logo, the case back has an engraving. The bracelet is original and has all its links, can be adjusted to fit all wrist sizes.

I've asked about the service and it was a stock 'our watchmaker' reply.

It looks good to me but I know nothing of these. I started looking at the recent Seiko Recraft UFO …

… and fell down a rabbit hole. I quite like the idea of a vintage Omega in the collection and I've always admired the Dynamic from afar.

The email reply to some questions was:

Hello, the watch was serviced by our watchmaker in march 2019, there are no Omega service documents. We guarantee the full functionality of the watch with a 14 day return policy.
    The crystal is original (signed with the Omega logo) free from scratches.
    The watch keeps good time and was electronically timed when serviced.

Some more pics:

The asking price is £500

Any thoughts?

I can never make up my mind what to think of these, occasionally I think they're growing on me and then I seem to go off then again. They wear very flat on the wrist, if you like that type of thing.

It's a buyer's market for these right now(well, has been for a long time) so make sure it has the dial configuration you like(there are alot of varients to choose from, but this black dial looks good and the blues can suffer from tritium burn). Price seems about average but I would take the service with a pinch of salt without any evidence.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 20th April 2019 at 22:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I can never make up my mind what to think of these, occasionally I think they're growing on me and then I seem to go off then again. They wear very flat on the wrist, if you like that type of thing.

It's a buyer's market for these right now(well, has been for a long time) so make sure it has the dial configuration you like(there are alot of varients to choose from, but this black dial looks good and the blues can suffer from tritium burn). Price seems about average but I would take the service with a pinch of salt without any evidence.

Good luck.
    Sensible advice. Thanks.

I thought I preferred the MK2 bullseye dials but the plainer variants are more appealing now.

Grand Master
    Classic piece of late 60s design, they sold very well so there’s plenty still out there to chose from. Black dial’s one of the best combinations, I restored one a few years ago and didn’t want to send it back to the owner because it looked so good. I prefer them on a strap, shows the design off to best advantage in my opinion.

I own 3 of these, it’s fair to say I like them a lot.

Journeyman
    I have one too. It's really comfortable to wear. It's one I got as a vintage. I wanted a year of birth watch. I paid about 150 euro, so I think 500 sterling is a bit rich. Mine runs grand, it's on a metal strap, and it's fierce comfortable, which is the objective they set out to achieve with this model.

Quote Originally Posted by emo72 View Post
    I have one too. It's really comfortable to wear. It's one I got as a vintage. I wanted a year of birth watch. I paid about 150 euro, so I think 500 sterling is a bit rich. Mine runs grand, it's on a metal strap, and it's fierce comfortable, which is the objective they set out to achieve with this model.
    In fairness, my cursory research suggests 150€ is incredibly cheap.

I can offer no advice beyond saying that I like them and had a chance to wear this one for a couple of hours, when an ex-colleague whose father collected and repaired Dynamics let me try this. Nice to see the Omega logo in the acrylic, like on the Speedy.

Last edited by dkpw; 21st April 2019 at 00:21.

I have this variant. A 1972 model, I bought it when prices were low and it had been looked after and had a recent service (with receipt to confirm). Like all old watches there'll be lots of rough abused ones with the occasional good one. I find it's very comfortable and nicely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I'm asking the forum to talk me out of buying this Omega Dynamic from 1969

Hold out for one of these

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    The two tone dial brings out the character of the case.

One of these has been on my list for a long time, but I’m quite particular re model, condition & price, so nothing has made it into the watch box as yet.

£500 is a pretty good price from a dealer, especially with an included bracelet and (if) serviced. Presumably you’d benefit from some sort of warranty also. €150 is very, very cheap and a great find. At that level I’d fear e-bay redials though.

Key for me would be no polishing, and that one looks to have the correct radial brushing and crisp case edges ok.

I love the ethos behind the design, in terms of ergonomically sitting between wrist bones & greater legibility on the bullseye models. Maybe a load of marketing fluff, but it doesn’t matter because the design is so completely, fantastically of its era it’s hard not to like.

Now I'm more confused. I thought I'd gone off the bullseye dial, but maybe not? But the plainer dial is singing to me

Grand Master
    Disagree about the ‘sharp edges’ unpolished comments, I’ve refinished a few of these and it isn’t difficult to get the edges sharp again. Many of these watches have dings and deep scratches, but there ‘s lots of metal in them and its not hard to make them look fresh again. However, there are some badly refinished examples where the case has been spoiled.

The big problem areas on these are the dial and the strap retaining ring and threads. The monobloc case design means that the movement comes out after pulling the glass, when refitting its vital to ensure the movement is seated correctly otherwise the dial will get damaged when the glass is pressed in. This is characterised by raised dimples in the 10 and 2 positions where the dial feet are. Damage around the dial edges is common too, where the dial hasn’t seated correctly and the glass has been forced onto it.

The caseback threads get damaged when the strap retaining ring is cross- threaded. Once the threads have picked up its not easy to fix, at best the screw action will be sticky and at worst it’ll be impossible to fit. Ideally the ring should run down the threads with light finger pressure, but provided the action is reasonably smooth it’ll be OK. Fitting new straps is a problem because even the Omega supplied ones are too thick, this makes it difficult to locate the ring on the starter threads and that’s how damage occurs. Last one I fitted had to be trimmed to fit, then compressed by fitting to a scrap case to condition it for a couple of days, only then could I fit it to the watch it was intended for with confidence.

Crowns can be a problem too owing to the split stem design. The original crown was tap 10 but that’s no longer available. Omega supply a tap 9 that looks identical but obviously it needs a replacement female thread to match.

Original Omega glasses are getting hard (and expensive) to source, but thankfully a Sternkrauz generic is available cheaply and it fits perfectly. I use them because I don’t place a premium on having a tiny Omega symbol in the glass, others may think differently. Pulling the glass in and out of the case a few times can leave marks in the plastic unless the mythical ‘Tool 107’ is available, but the glass needs to come out to regulate the movement, so this can be a problem. I use an old glass, only fitting the new one when I’m 100% happy with how the watch runs, but its not unusual to see marks in the glass where its been removed.

Buying these watches can be a bit of a minefield. The dial must be right, getting them refinished correctly is expensive and few people can do then properly. Owing to the Swatch group policy of restricting supply of parts its getting v. difficult to source new handsets too, although they can usually be refinished if they need it.

Hope this helps; my comments are based solely on experience of working with these watches and buying/owning them..........I don’t make this up and I don’t recycle comments I’ve read elsewhere. Handling/inspecting a watch for sale helps a lot provded you know what to look for.

And another thing......many of the bracelets on offer are recent replacements that are likely to be replicas, although the Omega replacements may come out of the same factory. An original bracelet is desirable provided its in good condition, many aren’t!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Disagree about the ‘sharp edges’ unpolished comments, I’ve refinished a few of these and it isn’t difficult to get the edges sharp again. Many of these watches have dings and deep scratches, but there ‘s lots of metal in them and its not hard to make them look fresh again. However, there are some badly refinished examples where the case has been spoiled.

The big problem areas on these are the dial and the strap retaining ring and threads. The monobloc case design means that the movement comes out after pulling the glass, when refitting its vital to ensure the movement is seated correctly otherwise the dial will get damaged when the glass is pressed in. This is characterised by raised dimples in the 10 and 2 positions where the dial feet are. Damage around the dial edges is common too, where the dial hasn’t seated correctly and the glass has been forced onto it.

The caseback threads get damaged when the strap retaining ring is cross- threaded. Once the threads have picked up its not easy to fix, at best the screw action will be sticky and at worst it’ll be impossible to fit. Ideally the ring should run down the threads with light finger pressure, but provided the action is reasonably smooth it’ll be OK. Fitting new straps is a problem because even the Omega supplied ones are too thick, this makes it difficult to locate the ring on the starter threads and that’s how damage occurs. Last one I fitted had to be trimmed to fit, then compressed by fitting to a scrap case to condition it for a couple of days, only then could I fit it to the watch it was intended for with confidence.

Crowns can be a problem too owing to the split stem design. The original crown was tap 10 but that’s no longer available. Omega supply a tap 9 that looks identical but obviously it needs a replacement female thread to match.

Original Omega glasses are getting hard (and expensive) to source, but thankfully a Sternkrauz generic is available cheaply and it fits perfectly. I use them because I don’t place a premium on having a tiny Omega symbol in the glass, others may think differently. Pulling the glass in and out of the case a few times can leave marks in the plastic unless the mythical ‘Tool 107’ is available, but the glass needs to come out to regulate the movement, so this can be a problem. I use an old glass, only fitting the new one when I’m 100% happy with how the watch runs, but its not unusual to see marks in the glass where its been removed.

Buying these watches can be a bit of a minefield. The dial must be right, getting them refinished correctly is expensive and few people can do then properly. Owing to the Swatch group policy of restricting supply of parts its getting v. difficult to source new handsets too, although they can usually be refinished if they need it.

Hope this helps; my comments are based solely on experience of working with these watches and buying/owning them..........I don’t make this up and I don’t recycle comments I’ve read elsewhere. Handling/inspecting a watch for sale helps a lot provded you know what to look for.

And another thing......many of the bracelets on offer are recent replacements that are likely to be replicas, although the Omega replacements may come out of the same factory. An original bracelet is desirable provided its in good condition, many aren’t!
    Very useful info Paul, thank you. Unfortunately, none of this can be checked until it's in the hands of a professional.

It might be moot now anyway because someone has 'reserved' it. The seller got in touch to say if they don't pay within three days then it will be available again.

He also sent me a picture of the engraving:

Not a deal breaker, but would rather it wasn't there.

The factor that would make me cautious is that there appear to be quantities of Dynamic Geneves in "kit form" on ebay, from the same sources as the Fortis, Oris and Hamilton "kits" which have moody dials, poor case back stamping, the same model number for a range of variations and, most conveniently, engraved rotors to allow any old Seagull movement to be made to look like the original 2824.

Of course that doesn't mean that the sellers haven't stumbled upon a warehouse full of all the required parts, untouched for decades and decided to push them out fast and cheap, but it does make it feel like it would bear a deeper look.

Interestingly none of the kit versions seem to have the Omega character in the crystal, so maybe that has some small value it judging the bona fides

Came to the wrong place mate

BUBI 0_0

Master
    And here’s one from the walkerwerk workshop

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    And here’s one from the walkerwerk workshop

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Lovely

At least I have a new chase on now, and that's the best part of this daft hobby ...

Grand Master
    There are reproduction blue/ silver dials and handsets being sold, that’s gone on for a few years, but they’re made to fit the later style case with the more rounded polished sides and the 1010/1012 movement.

The earlier style is definitely my favourite, I own a cal 752 day/date with grey bullseye dial, a gold-capped cal 565 bought as NOS many years ago, and a white- dialled non- date automatic cal 552 awaiting restoration.

Oddly enough, my wife, who has little interest in watches, dislikes these. Her usual reaction to watches is indifference, but these evoke a positive negative response!