closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DSSD 126660 vs 116660

Master
    Blog Entries

DSSD 126660 vs 116660

Pretty happy with my current 4 watches but wanting a Rolex diver to round things off and seriously considering revisiting the Deepsea which is prob the one diver which had me in awe and something wildly different from my current collection. (I have previously had DSSD black, Sub-C date, Sub-C ND and Hulk - I’m also not a fan at all of the SD 43 with cyclops)

Anyhow I know the movement and bracelet has been modified etc on the revised 126660 however it’s not too obvious in pics.

During ownership I remember it tapering down very thin towards the clasp and it did look kind of odd - is this is what they have changed (e.g. the links are now wider going down to the clasp)

Looking at some pics I’m guessing this is the case and it does seem better visually (more balanced) if what I see is correct and not my imagination??

Also does it really wear more different as some people claim e.g balance etc or really the same?????

Interesting to hear views from people who have actually owned both models
    Last edited by kultschar; 18th April 2019 at 14:41.

This goes against the popular opinion but I like the taper. I have somehow fallen out of love with non tapering bracelets.
    From what I hear the taper is less pronounced but not dramatically so.

I believe we’re talking about a 1mm difference in the taper? I’ve owned a Deepsea in different guises since 2010, and in the 9 years have never noticed or felt what some would describe as a narrow clasp. I have actually found the Sd43 bracelet with its slightly wider proportions to be a little more uncomfortable on my wrist.

I don’t have any experience of the 126660 but i’m Sure I’ve read a really mixed bag of opinions with some saying it’s transformed the watch and some saying it’s worse for it. I think you’ll have to find a way to try it for yourself.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I believe we’re talking about a 1mm difference in the taper? I’ve owned a Deepsea in different guises since 2010, and in the 9 years have never noticed or felt what some would describe as a narrow clasp. I have actually found the Sd43 bracelet with its slightly wider proportions to be a little more uncomfortable on my wrist.

I don’t have any experience of the 126660 but i’m Sure I’ve read a really mixed bag of opinions with some saying it’s transformed the watch and some saying it’s worse for it. I think you’ll have to find a way to try it for yourself.
    Thanks - interesting about the SD43 info.

I spent the morning looking at DSSDs for sale on the Rolex forum (not to buy but for pics) and on a side on picture the bracelet does look more Sub / normal like and less tapered then I remember so maybe 1mm does really make a diff.

I guess your right and need to maybe see in person.

PS - out of interest did you ever remove the diver extension link? I didnt find it made much diff in terms of wear like many others claim

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Thanks - interesting about the SD43 info.

I spent the morning looking at DSSDs for sale on the Rolex forum (not to buy but for pics) and on a side on picture the bracelet does look more Sub / normal like and less tapered then I remember so maybe 1mm does really make a diff.

I guess your right and need to maybe see in person.

PS - out of interest did you ever remove the diver extension link? I didnt find it made much diff in terms of wear like many others claim
    Made no difference in my view either. I can see how theoretically it helps the bracelet curve around the wrist but unless the extension is all hanging out the clasp surely that’s a mute Point? My divers extension was always mostly housed within the clasp. On the Sd43 it was removed but can’t remember it made any noticeable difference.

I’d like to try the 126660 as I do love a Deepsea. I’m just worried the additional bracelet width and the comemnts regarding the huge scale of the clasp would make it uncomfortable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Made no difference in my view either. I can see how theoretically it helps the bracelet curve around the wrist but unless the extension is all hanging out the clasp surely that’s a mute Point? My divers extension was always mostly housed within the clasp. On the Sd43 it was removed but can’t remember it made any noticeable difference.
    I agree with this fully as regards extension. I do find the bracelet of the Sd43 better (comfort wise) than the 116660, but there are a few other elements at play as regards weight/height etc. Overall though I do think the 1mm helps.

Master
    I recently added a 126660 to my 116660. Looks wise there is not much in it, from face on it is not easy to tell them apart. The bracelet and clasp are less tapered and IMHO it is a great improvement. Thay being said I am wearing the 116660 this week and do not have, nor ever did have, the notion that the bracelet was out of kilter with the watch.
    Posted pics in an earlier thread but for comparison will do a few again. 126660 is the first posted in the first 4 pics, and on the left in the group shot.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Had an 116660 for 3 years and the imbalance eventually drove me nuts. Picked up a 126660 JC last week and the increased strap dimensions has made it a definite keeper! I love the better dimensions.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I recently added a 126660 to my 116660. Looks wise there is not much in it, from face on it is not easy to tell them apart. The bracelet and clasp are less tapered and IMHO it is a great improvement. Thay being said I am wearing the 116660 this week and do not have, nor ever did have, the notion that the bracelet was out of kilter with the watch.
    Posted pics in an earlier thread but for comparison will do a few again. 126660 is the first posted in the first 4 pics, and on the left in the group shot.

2 JCs????? Assumed having 2 you prob had one of each dial! Not sure which version to aim for - guess JC makes sense for a change since had black dial previously

Thanks for info - very interesting regarding bracelet and clasp!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Had an 116660 for 3 years and the imbalance eventually drove me nuts. Picked up a 126660 JC last week and the increased strap dimensions has made it a definite keeper! I love the better dimensions.
    Cool - quite a noticeable difference then!!

Master
    2 JCs????? Assumed having 2 you prob had one of each dial! Not sure which version to aim for - guess JC makes sense for a change since had black dial previously

Thanks for info - very interesting regarding bracelet and clasp!!!
    Yes each is a JC. And the difference in feel is much more than one would think from the appearance.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Yes each is a JC. And the difference in feel is much more than one would think from the appearance.

Cool - think I will hunt for a 126660!!!

Master
    I have had 2 116660’s (blue and black) and as much as I wanted to love the watch the bracelet killed it for me. I have large wrists and it just felt like an orange on a toothpick..... Perfect apart from that but just not wearable for me.

I haven’t seen the new one (still impossible to try on and too expensive second hand) but if it resolves that problem it might just the perfect steel bracelet watch and be a keeper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Cool - think I will hunt for a 126660!!!
    You defiantly won’t be disappointed love mine

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newsboy View Post
    You defiantly won’t be disappointed love mine

Very nice!!

Hi Paul -

No disrespect, but are you happy this won't be too large? I don't remember you having the biggest of wrists. Mine are 6.75" and I found the DSSD too thick for me (indeed, that's why I sold my SDc). But, I realise wrist shape also key, and yours may be better than mine (e.g. broader).

Best of luck!

Andrew

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Hi Paul -

No disrespect, but are you happy this won't be too large? I don't remember you having the biggest of wrists. Mine are 6.75" and I found the DSSD too thick for me (indeed, that's why I sold my SDc). But, I realise wrist shape also key, and yours may be better than mine (e.g. broader).

Best of luck!

Andrew
    Hi Andrew

Mine are 7.25” and I had a DSSD for about 4 years previously.

This is what happens when waiting for a 5164 lol

Between this and another Hulk - but ive never had a JC Deepsea so intrigued
    Last edited by kultschar; 19th April 2019 at 17:12.

Craftsman
    I've got pretty skinny wrists but the 126660 works perfectly on me, can't explain it. I wear my SD43 daily and it really doesn't fell any worse than that for size although like the poster above says, the imbalance that seemed to bother me with the 116660 just doesn't happen with the new version.

Can't explain it.

As for trying, I'm sure the usual grey dealers will have one but if you're anywhere near me you're more than welcome to try it next to a SD43.

Or (and how I got mine), pop into your AD and ask to try on one when one comes in-I did this and they had one in in 2 months or so. As it happens no one was waiting so I was offered it but I said I'd wait for the JC version-that took another couple of months but they don't see hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Hi Paul -

Best of luck!

Andrew
    x 2 - I would very much like to add the JC version to my collection but each time i try it on it just looks far to thick for my 6.75 wrist........such a shame as i think the dial is exceptional.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    x 2 - I would very much like to add the JC version to my collection but each time i try it on it just looks far to thick for my 6.75 wrist........such a shame as i think the dial is exceptional.
    You need to wear one for a day you’ll love it, the dial is surreal.

I love my 126660 JC.

There are more design changes than a lot of people realise. The lug to lug length has been reduced by 1mm and the second hand now reaches the markers.

The clasp is identical in size to that of the SD43. The new bracelet makes the watch better balanced for wearability and I found that removing the dive extension improves comfort.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    I love my 126660 JC.

There are more design changes than a lot of people realise. The lug to lug length has been reduced by 1mm and the second hand now reaches the markers.

The clasp is identical in size to that of the SD43. The new bracelet makes the watch better balanced for wearability and I found that removing the dive extension improves comfort.

That watch looks as big as the fist you're wearing it on!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Was thinking the same

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Was thinking the same
    https://youtu.be/MMiKyfd6hA0

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    He loves wearing his Dad's watches

Blog Entries
    You need to wear one for a day you’ll love it, the dial is surreal.

Agree 100%.

Popping one on for 10 mins in a dealer without playing with the bracelet and giving it time, will not give the full picture.

Out of all my watches my black DSSD is my most used daily.

Pitch