closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another Rolex thread (please don’t hate me)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I haven’t made-up my mind yet; I don’t ‘need’ any more watches but it’s tempting. It’s one of the ‘dive’ family. If I go ahead i’l stick up a picture in a suitable thread. But nearly £9000 is a serious sum of money. I just don’t know....
    You are not reducing your wealth but merely exchanging cash for a very good watch which is better than money in the bank.

If you want it, just buy it.

I haven’t made-up my mind yet; I don’t ‘need’ any more watches but it’s tempting. It’s one of the ‘dive’ family. If I go ahead i’l stick up a picture in a suitable thread. But nearly £9000 is a serious sum of money. I just don’t know....
    Isn’t the answer that you have had a couple of that particular model before and moved them on, even though it is your favourite of the current crop of Rolex dive watches?😀

Master
    An illustration of the problem you face; a well-connected friend was rung yesterday by a ‘well known chain’ to ask if he wanted a new Rolex sports model (hard to get). He had never been on any ‘list’ or expressed a jot of interest in the model. But it was offered to him regardless.
    What do you mean by "well-connected"? If they had his telephone number, he was presumably an existing customer. Has he spent a lot of money with them previously - or do they think he is likely to spend a lot of money with them in the near future? It doesn't make much sense commercially to sell a watch to someone who doesn't want it, unless there's likely to be something coming back in return. Chances are anyone who bought it would be flipping it so, to that extent, academic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    I’ve been exactly the same as you for years. I remember seeing one in flesh years ago and thinking how could they get the colour of the bezel so wrong when they got the dial so right. I put a lot of my opinion down to working in the printing industry because that is just not a good colour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justdate View Post
    Word of warning about the LV, I bought it as I fell for the green dial, within a week of looking at that green bezel I couldn’t stand it any more. It is a rather sickly pale green colour on the ceramic bezel, not for me. I can’t even look at photos of it and this was some years ago!

I've never ever "got" the LV. My AD said he has several in his safe that he couldn't shift a few years (5, maybe?) ago. Is it just the general mania for Professional models that has made them sought after now?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I've never ever "got" the LV. My AD said he has several in his safe that he couldn't shift a few years (5, maybe?) ago. Is it just the general mania for Professional models that has made them sought after now?
    Yeah - take a look at Instagram lol

Believe some people now even waiting for Explorer II's which I guess is a knock on effect of the scarcity of other models

Master
    Blog Entries
    What do you mean by "well-connected"? If they had his telephone number, he was presumably an existing customer. Has he spent a lot of money with them previously - or do they think he is likely to spend a lot of money with them in the near future? It doesn't make much sense commercially to sell a watch to someone who doesn't want it, unless there's likely to be something coming back in return. Chances are anyone who bought it would be flipping it so, to that extent, academic.
    Im guessing he means a VIP customer.

Always been the case the high rollers get offered the hot watches - Daytona's etc but now its filtering down to Hulks and other models that a few years ago would be easily seen in ad windows.

Master
    Like many things, it’s not that simple. He gets offered sought-after models because they know him, know he’s reliable and , crucially, that the watch will not be coming back on the market.
    So, if he passes it on to me, I have to keep it for a year or two, no flipping.
    I’ll give you another example. Staff can often buy Rolex models at a strong discount. But if they sell that discounted watch into the market....potentially big trouble. However, supposing they know people who will quietly and privately, buy the watch, and keep it for a few years....it’s all about trust.
    Last edited by paskinner; 23rd April 2019 at 12:18.

Master
    I’ll give you another example. Staff can often buy Rolex models at a strong discount. But if they sell that discounted watch into the market....potentially big trouble. However, supposing they know people who will quietly and privately, buy the watch, and keep it for a few years....it’s all about trust.
    Presumably then do Rolex allocate extra watches for staff purchases as it wouldn't make sense in the current climate to let a member of staff have a watch on the cheap that you could sell for RRP 50 times over?

A Rolex AD told me a couple of years ago that Rolex had told them that they couldn't buy steel Daytona's for themselves anymore and that they has to be sold to customers. All due to the huge demand and shortage. This could be true, it could also be an AD saying it to deflect the heat from the many customers and be totally made up. With all the thousands of 'My AD said' posts on here, Rolex Forums and numerous Facebook groups, I also think 'just because you've been told that, doesn't make it true'!

The only thing that we ever know is true is what Rolex themselves say and that's very little. The rest is guesswork, assumption or just made up.

Master
    ... they know him, know he’s reliable and , crucially, that the watch will not be coming back on the market.
    Same's true of what my AD knows about me and they ain't falling over themselves to offer me anything!!

I have to keep it for a year or two, no flipping.
    So you flip it after a year or two? Still flippin' flipping in my view!

I've said before it's perfectly understandable that ADs sell to the customers who put most cash over the counter. Why someone "well connected" would get priority over a big spender, I don't know. ADs choose what they sell and to whom and that's the top and bottom of it!

Apprentice
    Having read through the full thread I can agree with most of it. The list thing has put me off the brand a bit and the two Rolexes I have owned left me underwhelmed shortly after purchase anyway and didn't get the wrist time the price ticket justified. The brand kudos seems to draw more buyers ( I add myself to that segment) than the actual horology involved does.
    For some reason I feel by asking to be added to a list you are in fact lowering yourself by perpetuating this orchestrated situation and following the `trend` for what is essentially just another stainless steel watch. A bit like kids with mobile phones or trainers because it needs to be this model. I am kinda talking from my own personal experience as I recently added myself to the waiting list on two ADs and after leaving I felt a bit like I had grovelled a bit to be added to something that might actuallly be worthless. It's not as if anyone that actually buys a Sub goes diving with it as the divers I know (I work in shipping) have Seikos or Citizens.
    As a result of this waiting stupidity, personally unless I happen to fall on a deal at rrp for a new watch by chance in an AD I won't be playing their game as when I pass by again I will be asking to be removed from the list I probably was never on in the first place.
    Just my 2p worth but as it's a forum ( where the partially sighted lead the blind) I expect to be `proved` wrong.

Anyways to be honest, I wish you the best of luck in getting what you want.
    Last edited by KurtKnispel; 23rd April 2019 at 13:19.

Master
    I’ve bought several Rolex watches from an AD who was my local (200 miles away) and asked to be put on the list for the SD43. Long story short, I was basically told I didn’t spend enough so there was no chance of obtaining one.
    They have since lost their agency and I can’t say i feel sorry for them.
    I paid under list for a new LVC but a premium for my SD43 which has no warranty card...
    If you want the LVC then fingers crossed you get one but I think you may have to buy pre owned and with a premium.
    Good luck and enjoy the watch whatever you decide to do.

Like many things, it’s not that simple. He gets offered sought-after models because they know him, know he’s reliable and , crucially, that the watch will not be coming back on the market.
    So, if he passes it on to me, I have to keep it for a year or two, no flipping.
    Sounds more like gaming the rules/playing the market by the sound of it tbh and I'm not being judgemental.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtKnispel View Post
    Having read through the full thread I can agree with most of it. The list thing has put me off the brand a bit and the two Rolexes I have owned left me underwhelmed shortly after purchase anyway and didn't get the wrist time the price ticket justified. The brand kudos seems to draw more buyers ( I add myself to that segment) than the actual horology involved does.
    For some reason I feel by asking to be added to a list you are in fact lowering yourself by perpetuating this orchestrated situation and following the `trend` for what is essentially just another stainless steel watch. A bit like kids with mobile phones or trainers because it needs to be this model. I am kinda talking from my own personal experience as I recently added myself to the waiting list on two ADs and after leaving I felt a bit like I had grovelled a bit to be added to something that might actuallly be worthless. It's not as if anyone that actually buys a Sub goes diving with it as the divers I know (I work in shipping) have Seikos or Citizens.
    As a result of this waiting stupidity, personally unless I happen to fall on a deal at rrp for a new watch by chance in an AD I won't be playing their game as when I pass by again I will be asking to be removed from the list I probably was never on in the first place.
    Just my 2p worth but as it's a forum ( where the partially sighted lead the blind) I expect to be `proved` wrong.

Anyways to be honest, I wish you the best of luck in getting what you want.
    Thanks KurtKnispel, I’m don’t feel like you have grovelled in anyway merely adding yourself to a list. If it wasn’t for unscrupulous characters selling these sought after watches on then perhaps a simple phone call to an AD would suffice, but with the way things are at the minute I can understand why they want to meet people in person. They’re trying to ensure that less watches end up on the grey market and more on our wrists which ultimately can only be a good thing!!

I also wish you luck in your acquisitions and hope you don’t take you name off the list for a watch you would love!

Gaz

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    I’ve bought several Rolex watches from an AD who was my local (200 miles away) and asked to be put on the list for the SD43. Long story short, I was basically told I didn’t spend enough so there was no chance of obtaining one.
    They have since lost their agency and I can’t say i feel sorry for them.
    I paid under list for a new LVC but a premium for my SD43 which has no warranty card...
    If you want the LVC then fingers crossed you get one but I think you may have to buy pre owned and with a premium.
    Good luck and enjoy the watch whatever you decide to do.
    Thanks Loupe, I have everything crossed. I’ll tough it out and wait for the phone call! Reading threads like this must make you feel very lucky to have one, it’s a beauty mate.

Gaz
    Last edited by Uglybug; 23rd April 2019 at 16:44. Reason: Typo

Master
    try getting ANY steel sports model rolex in london.... i've been told abruptly to leave from one AD before even mentioning the model (just steel sports), and been told 'no chance of a hulk' in 2 others. You can't get on a list...well, lists don't exist but you can't get on imaginary lists either!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    try getting ANY steel sports model rolex in london.... i've been told abruptly to leave from one AD before even mentioning the model (just steel sports), and been told 'no chance of a hulk' in 2 others. You can't get on a list...well, lists don't exist but you can't get on imaginary lists either!
    I assumed (wrongly) that due to a proliferation of AD’s down there it would be easier to get one? There is nothing in North Wales either, though I kilt Liverpool, Manchester, Nantwich and Stoke are all under an hour away. I wish you luck in your search mate!

Gaz

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Not strictly true. I was offered a Hulk by a well known AD in Central London in return for buying a JLC with no discount. Caveat was card withheld on the Hulk (as I'm a UK resident - non residents can keep card and they get VAT refund too) and of course it couldn't be sold without jeopardising the relationship with said AD (important as they sorted things like Snoopy etc for me in the past) so I went for a discount of around 10% instead as I've had 2 Hulks before and they are a bit 'meh' quality wise and if I can't sell the watch what's the point. No chance on the Daytona, the Hulk was the easiest of the hard to get models alongside blue Skydweller. Pepsi and Daytona were hardest - you'd have needed to buy a complex Lange or Patek to get one of those materialise from the safe and the sales girl told me that it was a huge selling point with Chinese tourists and they'd typically get 2 Daytonas a week sold alongside a hyper expensive watch transaction (we are talking around £80k) primarily to the Chinese. Apparently the wealthy Arabs just go grey but a Daytona is cheap tat for them it's all Hublot and gold AP for them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    thanks. I am reluctantly accepting a hulk is not going to happen from an AD. I have a half lead with a friedly independant where i might get a good price on one maybe. I might get black subc or subc date from an AD with a wait....as the old yellow pages advert says...' there's still a few more to try.' supposedly got my name down at harrods for the limited edition black bay too, although that list seems hit and miss as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Not strictly true. I was offered a Hulk by a well known AD in Central London in return for buying a JLC with no discount. Caveat was card withheld on the Hulk (as I'm a UK resident - non residents can keep card and they get VAT refund too) and of course it couldn't be sold without jeopardising the relationship with said AD (important as they sorted things like Snoopy etc for me in the past) so I went for a discount of around 10% instead as I've had 2 Hulks before and they are a bit 'meh' quality wise and if I can't sell the watch what's the point. No chance on the Daytona, the Hulk was the easiest of the hard to get models alongside blue Skydweller. Pepsi and Daytona were hardest - you'd have needed to buy a complex Lange or Patek to get one of those materialise from the safe and the sales girl told me that it was a huge selling point with Chinese tourists and they'd typically get 2 Daytonas a week sold alongside a hyper expensive watch transaction (we are talking around £80k) primarily to the Chinese. Apparently the wealthy Arabs just go grey but a Daytona is cheap tat for them it's all Hublot and gold AP for them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Well lucky you! My experience is accurately described though. I was surprised but none even suggested I should buy other stuff from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Uglybug View Post
    Firstly Hello everyone!

This is my first post despite lurking on here for some time. I’ve really tried to hold off posting this thread as I know just about everyone is sick of reading about Rolex shortages...
    But I’m really hoping for some help/advice from people with knowledge in the subject and I really hope I don’t attract any negative remarks.

Firstly I’m after a 116610LV (please don’t fall about laughing), I have a small collection of watches of reasonable value (I have a Cosmonaute, SOH ii, a Tag Carrera Chrono and I love all three) but this will be my first Rolex.
    I’ve approached a few AD’s (grey market is definitely not something I would be interested in as I just don’t see a Sub being worth upwards of £10k) and have been treated very differently by each, Goldsmiths in Trafford said they could virtually guarantee a watch in 6 months to a year if I purchased something they had in stock (only TT and Gold which I don’t like and wouldn’t wear), I filled out a little bit of card registering my interest in Mappin and Webb (they seemed really uninterested) and spoke to a really nice guy in Nantwich (CH Moody) who I actually went to visit and have a chat with, and also to David M Robinson in Liverpool.

Another hurdle which I’m faced with is that I live in North Wales so the amount of AD’s in the locale is small, I’ve driven over an hour to Liverpool, Manchester and Nantwich to personally meet people but it’s not a trip I want to make on a regular basis.

So I suppose my question to you gentlemen (those who are still reading) is; What should I do for the best?
    Do I keep ringing up these people to show my interest? do you think it’s worth driving the distances to each of these places to prove I’m genuine and in the hope they’ve just taken delivery?

I really don’t want to give up on a truly distinctive piece to have in any collection!

If you’re still reading by this point thanks for taking the time and I look forward to your insightful advice.

Gaz
    Hi Gaz,

I was in the same boat as you last year. Every AD I went to said the list was closed. I wanted a Hulk and had no purchase history. I found one that said the list would be 5 years but agreed to take my details (I think he was just being polite). I managed to strike up a bit of a relationship and they ended up agreeing to get me the watch within a year. I ended up getting it after 4 and a half months. I really should update the thread I started here when I first put my name down!

Lists seem fictional and they decide who the watches go to. I was fortunate that this AD knew I wasn’t a flipper and wanted to get me the watch I wanted.

I still pop into lots of ADs and I don’t think I could make it happen again, although I’m hoping the AD that got me the Hulk might be able to get me a BLNR at some point!

A friend also got a Hulk from a Goldsmiths store after I advised him how to approach them (he has purchased a Breitling from them a few years back). He struck up a relationship with a manager who ‘decides who gets each watch’ and he got one within 3 months.

The watch is worth the wait, I love mine. I tried one on that was on display about 5 years ago and always wanted one, when I decided it was time to purchase the craziness started. I’m glad that I had tried one on before and I’m confident my decision wasn’t influenced by the scarcity.

I’m sorry I can’t be of any more help, all I can suggest is try and get on a list, no matter how long the wait is then keep chasing up and you
    Might get something.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    Hi Gaz,

I was in the same boat as you last year. Every AD I went to said the list was closed. I wanted a Hulk and had no purchase history. I found one that said the list would be 5 years but agreed to take my details (I think he was just being polite). I managed to strike up a bit of a relationship and they ended up agreeing to get me the watch within a year. I ended up getting it after 4 and a half months. I really should update the thread I started here when I first put my name down!

Lists seem fictional and they decide who the watches go to. I was fortunate that this AD knew I wasn’t a flipper and wanted to get me the watch I wanted.

I still pop into lots of ADs and I don’t think I could make it happen again, although I’m hoping the AD that got me the Hulk might be able to get me a BLNR at some point!

A friend also got a Hulk from a Goldsmiths store after I advised him how to approach them (he has purchased a Breitling from them a few years back). He struck up a relationship with a manager who ‘decides who gets each watch’ and he got one within 3 months.

The watch is worth the wait, I love mine. I tried one on that was on display about 5 years ago and always wanted one, when I decided it was time to purchase the craziness started. I’m glad that I had tried one on before and I’m confident my decision wasn’t influenced by the scarcity.

I’m sorry I can’t be of any more help, all I can suggest is try and get on a list, no matter how long the wait is then keep chasing up and you
    Might get something.
    This story fills me with hope, you sound like you were in the exact same situation as myself! You totally should update your thread as it does give others hope that there may be light at the end of the tunnel.
    It certainly wasn’t the scarcity that attracted me to it, I tried my brother in laws black sub date on and really liked it, I went on the Goldsmiths website when I got home and saw the green one and started ringing round expecting to pick one up on the weekend hahaha. Rolex wasn’t a brand I’d really looked at before (my exposure was mostly flashy looking two tones and yellow gold models on older gentlemen that just didn’t do anything for me) but seeing that green sub was love at first sight!

Gaz

Journeyman
    Yes they used to be in every shop window, the Hulk and BLNR sat together on display, with no one interested at RRP.

Now everyone and his dog wants one as even if they don’t want to own it they know the instant profit will pay for a nice summer holiday, so that just makes the lists even worse, making grey price even higher, and encouraging even more people to try to get one to flip. I’d love to know what % of people would stay on the list if the market price were to drop to RRP tomorrow. I bet a majority would magically no longer be interested. The weird state of the market.

When I bought and sold mine there wasn’t really much of a list as it was 2016/2017.

A photo taken at my AD in 2015, both in stock with discount available!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    ^^^^^^
    Absolutely
    If these were trading at below RRP there would be no lists.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglybug View Post
    I assumed (wrongly) that due to a proliferation of AD’s down there it would be easier to get one? There is nothing in North Wales either, though I kilt Liverpool, Manchester, Nantwich and Stoke are all under an hour away. I wish you luck in your search mate!

Gaz
    Problem is the proliferation of money there supercedes all the ADs, more billionaires than any other City means they and their kids want and get these insta trinkets first.

Apprentice
    Just been in 5 different Rolex dealers in the last couple of days. None had any Submariners of any kind but all gave different information in regards to availability.
    Amsterdam Schipol sold 6 sport models witjin minutes (his words) of them going on sale. One actually said (in Zurich) don't bother trying the one along the road (Bahnhofstrasse) as they supply us so they won't have anything. They had EVERY sport model including two pepsi GMTs but all had a 'Nicht zu verkaufen' sticker on all of them. None of them were for sale. I asked why and he said they were only to show buyers what they were like. A box full of non saleable Rolex sport models. A saw the rootbeer Gmt in the metal and the Pepsi. The last AD I tried had a Deepsea 44 and a Seadweller 43 and took my details and said she would call me when the next stock arrived so I could choose one and she would leave it aside as reserved.
    I was tempted to buy there and then but I have made that mistake before. Hopefully I will get a call in the next couple of days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justdate View Post
    Yes they used to be in every shop window, the Hulk and BLNR sat together on display, with no one interested at RRP.

Now everyone and his dog wants one as even if they don’t want to own it they know the instant profit will pay for a nice summer holiday, so that just makes the lists even worse, making grey price even higher, and encouraging even more people to try to get one to flip. I’d love to know what % of people would stay on the list if the market price were to drop to RRP tomorrow. I bet a majority would magically no longer be interested. The weird state of the market.

When I bought and sold mine there wasn’t really much of a list as it was 2016/2017.

A photo taken at my AD in 2015, both in stock with discount available!

Yes you are 100% correct and in other words you are confirming that Rolex have successfully retrieved the protection of their brand. Rolex is now a brand that people will fight over whereas a couple of years ago a customer would have walked into a dealer and the first thing he would have done was to ask for a discount.

Those days are now long gone and Rolex have won the battle.

Blog Entries
    I had these pass through my collection before the hype. The only one I have slight regret was the lovely 666

Martyn.

Another Rolex thread (please don’t hate me)

Hot sports Rolex....

To the OP, as you have made contact with David at Moody’s, I would just trust him, be patient, and wait.

Buying grey isn’t necessarily a disaster in the long term, but it’s a personal choice, and I would never consider it. Fortunately I’m not in this crazy market as I have two 5 digits I’m very happy with, although if I was, and I’m almost in Liverpool, I would go to an independent like Moodys first. I have purchase history with Goldsmiths, but they are just so condescending, really... I met David at Moodys just once when I was evaluating a Bremont MB2, and although I ended up getting a pre-owned 16570 instead, he was enthusiastic and courteous, and it was a great experience. I would look there, or a similar independent , and wait. These things aren’t a race, and you will probably appreciate it more if you can’t just rock up, show your credit card, and leave with it.

In the future, this madness will pass, it is inevitable. Who knows when though!

Dave

Last edited by helidoc; 27th April 2019 at 00:44.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Hot sports Rolex....

To the OP, as you have made contact with David at Moody’s, I would just trust him, be patient, and wait.

Buying grey isn’t necessarily a disaster in the long term, but it’s a personal choice, and I would never consider it. Fortunately I’m not in this crazy market as I have two 5 digits I’m very happy with, although if I was, and I’m almost in Liverpool, I would go to an independent like Moodys first. I have purchase history with Goldsmiths, but they are just so condescending, really... I met David at Moodys just once when I was evaluating a Bremont MB2, and although I ended up getting a pre-owned 16570 instead, he was enthusiastic and courteous, and it was a great experience. I would look there, or a similar independent , and wait. These things aren’t a race, and you will probably appreciate it more if you can’t just rock up, show your credit card, and leave with it.

Dave

If the Hulk is his definite choice then waiting although the sensible suggestion - may not be an option. There is every chance that the wait will be so long that the watch would be discontinued first, which ironically would make the grey prices now seem reasonable !

A lot of people appear to want any ‘hot Rolex’ - presumably, a lot of whom (if they get one at RRP) simply sell at a profit straight away - to fund the purchase of their real-interest, on the grey/used market.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    A lot of people appear to want any ‘hot Rolex’ - presumably, a lot of whom (if they get one at RRP) simply sell at a profit straight away - to fund the purchase of their real-interest, on the grey/used market.
    Not necessarily to flip straight away; I think the knowledge that they can sell at any time they need to and make a profit makes them more desirable.

Having turned down a BLNR at list (when they were under £6k) and a 16570 at a 20% discount, I’m obviously not a man to take any notice of though!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Having turned down a BLNR at list (when they were under £6k) and a 16570 at a 20% discount . . .
    That’s just bragging! All the best. Martyn.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Hot sports Rolex....

Dave

Hi Dave,
    That was exactly my impression of him too and after dealing with the big chains (I have a purchase history with Goldsmiths too though not Rolex) speaking to David was a bit of a revelation. I haven’t been anywhere since as he genuinely seemed to want to get me one, and I I’m just going to wait it out now as you suggest. The wait and anticipation will make it all the sweeter when I get the phone call. I’m in it for the long haul and hopefully the bubble pops and nobody, who doesn’t want to wear one, wants one!

Gaz

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Hi blackal, it’s rubbish being on a list when you know people are on it too with no intention of ever wearing it. That’s why I hope for this madness to end, then you’ll see who genuinely wants one or who just wants an investment.

Gaz