closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Rolex thread (please don’t hate me)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    An illustration of the problem you face; a well-connected friend was rung yesterday by a ‘well known chain’ to ask if he wanted a new Rolex sports model (hard to get). He had never been on any ‘list’ or expressed a jot of interest in the model. But it was offered to him regardless.
    There are, lucky, folk on this forum who routinely get offered scarce models. Other people, most people really, never get a look in.
    Did he buy it? Yes, and he’s offered it to friends (ie me) at the retail price he paid. There’s no fairness in any of this, just connections and luck.
    I have no connections nor rich friends, I’m just an average Joe I suppose. I could never have dreamt it would be so hard to part with £7000!

Gaz

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglybug View Post
    I have no connections nor rich friends, I’m just an average Joe I suppose. I could never have dreamt it would be so hard to part with £7000!

Gaz
    When it's put like that, it's a stark reminder to me of the absurdity of pricing today. That is a lot of money........for a watch! I would just take your time, which thankfully, Rolex are very good at

I am considering purchasing a Day Date and got a call from a local AD saying that my preferred configuration had just arrived in stock.

I mentioned selling my green submariner to facilitate the purchase and asked if they could order me a new one.

The AD's answer was "Don't sell your green Submariner!"

The manager told me that they have not received a single watch in months and they can't even supply their "Big Ticket" customers with one at the moment.

Journeyman
    Just pay secondary market price for it mate, that’s as fair a deal as you will find in all likelihood. Someone would have to take a real liking to you to give you one at RRP, and that’s probably not going to happen without spending a lot on other items first.

Word of warning about the LV, I bought it as I fell for the green dial, within a week of looking at that green bezel I couldn’t stand it any more. It is a rather sickly pale green colour on the ceramic bezel, not for me. I can’t even look at photos of it and this was some years ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    I am considering purchasing a Day Date and got a call from a local AD saying that my preferred configuration had just arrived in stock.

I mentioned selling my green submariner to facilitate the purchase and asked if they could order me a new one.

The manager told me that they have not received a single watch in months and they can't even supply their "Big Ticket" customers with one at the moment.
    You told the AD you own a green sub which you want to sell on the grey market and asked them if they could get you a new one at Retail?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post

Oh dear that’s not good news! I thought supply was meant to be improving not getting worse? A thread about the Green Sub on Rolex forums says that they’re popping up in AD windows from time to time but I think that’s from November 2018 and definitely not popping up near me!!

Gaz

Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    You told the AD you own a green sub which you want to sell on the grey market and asked them if they could get you a new one at Retail?
    No

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Justdate View Post
    Just pay secondary market price for it mate, that’s as fair a deal as you will find in all likelihood. Someone would have to take a real liking to you to give you one at RRP, and that’s probably not going to happen without spending a lot on other items first.

Word of warning about the LV, I bought it as I fell for the green dial, within a week of looking at that green bezel I couldn’t stand it any more. It is a rather sickly pale green colour on the ceramic bezel, not for me. I can’t even look at photos of it and this was some years ago!

While I’ve not seen it “in the flesh” I’ve been following the hashtag on Instagram and it really does look beautiful but horses for courses I suppose.
    Literally no chance I would stump up £12.5k for a £7k watch though, as I said earlier in the thread your in AP Royal Oak territory by that time!

Gaz

Journeyman
    While I’ve not seen it “in the flesh” I’ve been following the hashtag on Instagram and it really does look beautiful but horses for courses I suppose.
    Literally no chance I would stump up £12.5k for a £7k watch though, as I said earlier in the thread your in AP Royal Oak territory by that time!

Gaz
    The issue is when you actually have it on your wrist for a bit of time you start to figure out if you really love green. As in case you hadn’t realised it is VERY green!! I personally prefer the black submariner. But it’s hard to know for sure without owning it unfortunately.

Royal Oak new model (15500ST) is now £17k RRP and the waiting lists are growing, so secondary prices are breaching £20k now!

I agree £12.5k is too much for the Green sub, but it should hold a lot of that value, I’m sure watch finder etc are paying £9k+ for them. So your real cost won’t be any worse than buying a datejust from your local AD for example.

Master

Gaz
    You have to accept the fact that it is not a £7K watch, it will sell for what other punters are prepared to pay for it and the watch trade is more than happy for this to continue. The days of a chancer walking in into and AD and demanding a discount are long over and the pendulum has swung so far the other way that some punters would sell their wives and daughters for the watch you want.

The tough reality is that if you want a sought after Rolex today, you either stump up the lolly or go without.

Another question you need to ask yourself is, out of the Green Sub and the AP Royal Oak, which one do you think will be worth the most in say 10 years from now. I know which one I would put money on. Rolex and PP are money in the bank, AP isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Justdate View Post

I’ve been exactly the same as you for years. I remember seeing one in flesh years ago and thinking how could they get the colour of the bezel so wrong when they got the dial so right. I put a lot of my opinion down to working in the printing industry because that is just not a good colour.

I know not what the OP is looking for but I’d go for the black version.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You have to accept the fact that it is not a £7K watch, it will sell for what other punters are prepared to pay for it and the watch trade is more than happy for this to continue. The days of a chancer walking in into and AD and demanding a discount are long over and the pendulum has swung so far the other way that some punters would sell their wives and daughters for the watch you want.

The tough reality is that if you want a sought after Rolex today, you either stump up the lolly or go without.

Another question you need to ask yourself is, out of the Green Sub and the AP Royal Oak, which one do you think will be worth the most in say 10 years from now. I know which one I would put money on. Rolex and PP are money in the bank, AP isn't.
    I’ve never for a second thought about buying a watch as an investment though, I buy it because I love it or I would definitely have not bought the Tag Carrera. It really isn’t about image or resale value, some days I will put a watch on and not leave the house. I just like beautiful objects and fine engineering, I hope I never have think of a watch as an investment.

Gaz

I’ve never for a second thought about buying a watch as an investment though, I buy it because I love it or I would definitely have not bought the Tag Carrera. It really isn’t about image or resale value, some days I will put a watch on and not leave the house. I just like beautiful objects and fine engineering, I hope I never have think of a watch as an investment.

Gaz
    This. Buying because of what you think it might be worth in 10 years is actually more than a little sad imho.

Like it?
    Afford it?
    Buy it.
    Wear the hell out if it and enjoy it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    I’ve been exactly the same as you for years. I remember seeing one in flesh years ago and thinking how could they get the colour of the bezel so wrong when they got the dial so right. I put a lot of my opinion down to working in the printing industry because that is just not a good colour.

I know not what the OP is looking for but I’d go for the black version.

I know what you mean about the black being more practical but sometimes you just fall in love and don’t care about practical. The black Sub is a very fine example of a divers watch but there a plenty of others that look really quite similar, I think the green is a standout timepiece, I just can’t LOVE the black one and as such would never part with money for it. Horses for courses I suppose.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    This. Buying because of what you think it might be worth in 10 years is actually more than a little sad imho.

Like it?
    Afford it?
    Buy it.
    Exactly this! I could be dead in 10 years, I don’t want a vanilla watch I want a bloody green one!!

Gaz

And I know people are saying buy some other models to build a relationship but it’s not that I just want a Rolex at any cost, if the 116610LV said Tag Heuer, Omega or even Seiko (and was priced accordingly) on it I would still be after one! I just love the look of it, the brand is inconsequential.

Gaz
    Steinharts are much easier to source and cheaper too!

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/d...-39-green.html

It’s probably the only way you’ll get a new green watch that looks like the sub. The wife will be happier with the price too!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

I rarely wear mine as I’m worried about the value. It comes on holiday with me and I wear it fro special occasions and it looks ace.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

I rarely wear mine as I’m worried about the value. It comes on holiday with me and I wear it fro special occasions and it looks ace.
    Worry about the value as in someone might try to steal it? Agree that it looks ace though!!

Gaz

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Steinharts are much easier to source and cheaper too!

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/d...-39-green.html

It’s probably the only way you’ll get a new green watch that looks like the sub. The wife will be happier with the price too!
    Haha I know what you mean about the price but I think I would buy something completely different before I bought what is basically a rip off, not a copy I know but I don’t imagine their design department put in too much work on that one haha.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Worry about the value as in someone might try to steal it? Agree that it looks ace though!!

Gaz
    Not exactly (although it is a minor concern), its more that I don’t like the idea of having Circa £10k on my wrist to lose/damage. I prefer to wear a GMT that’s worth half as much (still a stupid amount but I’m less precious about it)

Haha I know what you mean about the price but I think I would buy something completely different before I bought what is basically a rip off, not a copy I know but I don’t imagine their design department put in too much work on that one haha.
    Probably not but they do have a strong following on here and elsewhere. Excellent quality for the price too.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    If you've been 'lurking' around for a while you'll have read similar threads a thousand times before and the answer remains the same.,
    Personally one or two of us would probably not bother with something so mainstream and dare I say 'dull' but if you must follow the herd then you need to accept the associated rubbish that goes with it.
    Unnecessary and rude.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

A big part of everyone’s desire for Rolex sports- is the seemingly cast-iron residuals/profit making ability.

That wouldn’t occur if they produced sufficient to balance demand.

So - I’m afraid you have to accept the correlation between unavailability and your desire for one.

there’s the Tudor as an option and the old steinhart “hulk” although it’s almost impossible to find

Quote Originally Posted by 44Gunner View Post
    Unnecessary and rude.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    1) Read #11
    2) Grow up.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Really? That’s insane? What could possibly be the reason for that?

Gaz
    He mumbled something about selling to locals which at the time was not a hardened rule as it is now, and the Norwich AD was stuttering and sweating like he had been caught sleeping with my wife, I actually felt sorry for him, he knew he was coming across badly, now he's probably a hardened dismissive bastard like the rest, but not back then.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post

Like it?
    Afford it?
    Buy it.
    Rusty

Now that was crude wasn't it.

Like it - I always only buy what I like and I have never sold a watch in my life.

Afford it - Only an idiot buys a watch that they cannot afford.

Buy - Well yes

Wear the hell out if it and enjoy it - If you have 10 watches, you are hardly going to wear the hell out of any of them are you.

Also heck a lot of us (myself included) only stomp up lumps of money for a watch because we know that if ever we lost the passion, we would get our money back.

Master
    Last edited by aksing; 20th April 2019 at 20:13.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Well with out purchasing anything ADs not interested, and they just do an expressed interest policy which if you not bought nothing is flawed.

I was on the list for a sky dweller and sea dweller since launch at Goldsmiths Leeds which is 2 years just gone. I went in recently as left it for a year as was assured when you number is up I will get the call.

So went in a few weeks ago was told "no lists no more" expressed interest now unless you have a relationship!!

So I said well I been trying to get a relationship for 2 years. So I was actual taking a Omega in for a service so dropped that in had a good moan got a sea dweller 3 days later he felt I was cheated and wanted to get me something before the Rolex AD has gone at Goldsmiths Leeds.

As Rolex due to the high demand and low production are closing ADs all over and having a Rolex boutique in a lot of cities only so was told.

Preston's in Leeds is getting a bigger shop as it's not big enough.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Preston’s spoke to me like dog muck last time I went in to get a casual update on where I was in the wait list I had been on for the last 2 years.I took my business elsewhere the following week. Not a huge spender but any normal retailer outside of Rolex would have probably spoken to me like a normal human had I been spending 9k with them.

Appreciate there is a shortage issue but at the end of the day a relationship is a two way thing no need to treat me like scum.

The YM I bought will be my last Rolex because of these kind of shenanigams.

Rusty

Now that was crude wasn't it.

Like it - I always only buy what I like and I have never sold a watch in my life.

Afford it - Only an idiot buys a watch that they cannot afford.

Buy - Well yes

Wear the hell out if it and enjoy it - If you have 10 watches, you are hardly going to wear the hell out of any of them are you.

Also heck a lot of us (myself included) only stomp up lumps of money for a watch because we know that if ever we lost the passion, we would get our money back.
    My post was a direct reply to the OP. I wasn’t directing anything at you. Crude? No.

Master

Thus ruling out 95% of all watches. What a miserably narrow way of conducting a hobby. And presumably, by the same logic, you won’t have holidays, meals out, nice clothes. You won’t get your money back, after all.....and that seems to be all that really matters.
    Last edited by paskinner; 20th April 2019 at 21:20.

Craftsman
    Personally I think you need to pick 1 or 2 Ad’s you feel happy with & wait it out, be sure to pop back & show your desire for obtaining an LV. I picked mine up a year ago and I haven’t really bonded, the nightmare I had getting in has certainly soured the watch for me. Fortunately I now have a good relationship with my AD which certainly helps.
    Good luck in your hunt op.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronet king View Post
    Personally I think you need to pick 1 or 2 Ad’s you feel happy with & wait it out, be sure to pop back & show your desire for obtaining an LV. I picked mine up a year ago and I haven’t really bonded, the nightmare I had getting in has certainly soured the watch for me. Fortunately I now have a good relationship with my AD which certainly helps.
    Good luck in your hunt op.
    Thank you for the kind words Coronet King, I’m sorry to hear the whole experience has soured your experience. But you have a beautiful timepiece that will last beyond your lifetime so take comfort in that.

Haven't read through all the posts so forgive me if this has been mentioned. Would you buy one or two Watches(one of which was gold so £10k+) you don't necessarily want on the verbal promise of getting the watch you want as said by the original OP.I just wouldn't trust this situation at all.What if the salesperson moves on(which is not unusual in sales) and the big chain denies any knowledge of what is frankly an illegal practice? I know they sell in this way - I've experienced it myself and seen it happen to other people.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Not all Ad's assume that every new enquirer is a "Flipper".

What we are getting better at is realising who is or might be.....

In Gaz's case my hope is to supply him in time for his big day next year.
    👍👍

OP- I believe it is a perfectly legitimate thread.
    I wish you the best in your pursuit.
    Don't let your enthusiasm or anticipation be diminished by the usual wet blankets who love to crap on these kind of threads. You have done the right thing by registering your interest with a few ADs and you could do well to follow up with phone calls where they were receptive. In the meantime fingers crossed, may be Oracle can come through.
    Don't let anyone tell you that spending 7000 on a 'green watch' is not worth it. It is a very lovely watch and hope you get it soon and it provides you the enjoyment you seek.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Haven't read through all the posts so forgive me if this has been mentioned. Would you buy one or two Watches(one of which was gold so £10k+) you don't necessarily want on the verbal promise of getting the watch you want as said by the original OP.I just wouldn't trust this situation at all.What if the salesperson moves on(which is not unusual in sales) and the big chain denies any knowledge of what is frankly an illegal practice? I know they sell in this way - I've experienced it myself and seen it happen to other people.

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Hi amcneill, no I wouldn’t buy another watch to grease the wheels, as you pointed out, nothing is set in stone and surely such practise is only making this situation even worse?

Gaz

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    

OP- I believe it is a perfectly legitimate thread.
    I wish you the best in your pursuit.
    Don't let your enthusiasm or anticipation be diminished by the usual wet blankets who love to crap on these kind of threads. You have done the right thing by registering your interest with a few ADs and you could do well to follow up with phone calls where they were receptive. In the meantime fingers crossed, may be Oracle can come through.
    Don't let anyone tell you that spending 7000 on a 'green watch' is not worth it. It is a very lovely watch and hope you get it soon and it provides you the enjoyment you seek.
    Thanks Rajen, I find almost any subject you speak of on an internet forum will attract a certain amount of negative comments and I certainly won’t let anyone put me off. My fingers are well and truly crossed and I hope to update this thread at some point with a lovely wrist shot!!

Gaz

Just pay the going ‘grey market’ price.
    ...if you want to sell chances are you’ll get your money back.
    Life’s too short.
    Just buy one.

I agree life is too short,i think the frustration for me is I could go the retail but couldnt afford grey ,its just too bigger step at almost 3/3.5k more than retail

I live in North Wales
    Good luck getting a "hot" Rolex these days.

Sorry to be unhelpful, but can I please just point out that Chester is in England, not Wales?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Good luck getting a "hot" Rolex these days.

Sorry to be unhelpful, but can I please just point out that Chester is in England, not Wales?
    Hi, I don’t live in Chester. I don’t know why it says that I do? Maybe it defaults to the nearest City?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    Just pay the going ‘grey market’ price.
    ...if you want to sell chances are you’ll get your money back.
    Life’s too short.
    Just buy one.

Hi James I really can’t justify the cost of grey market, it’s an extra £5k for an unworn model and I really don’t fancy second hand. I have no intention of selling so would just be an additional £5k out of pocket and I can think of better things to do with £5,000 than give it to someone profiteering from this shortage situation. I have no problem waiting for an AD to come through, and if they don’t I’ve still got my health and £7,000 to spend on another brand of watch.

Gaz

Master
    I’ve this watch and it’s a lovely watch. My favourite thing about it is how it looks different at different angles. It varies between green and black depending on the light. I think the only downside for me personally is that I wouldn’t have it if it was the only watch I had if that makes sense.

Good luck OP, it’s a Great gesture by Oracle if he can get you one, I know they are extremely hard to get lately.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I’ve this watch and it’s a lovely watch. My favourite thing about it is how it looks different at different angles. It varies between green and black depending on the light. I think the only downside for me personally is that I wouldn’t have it if it was the only watch I had if that makes sense.

Good luck OP, it’s a Great gesture by Oracle if he can get you one, I know they are extremely hard to get lately.
    Yeah I don’t doubt his sincerity one bit after speaking with him in person, a very nice guy and I’m sure if he can get me one, he will. However I’m sure there will be people registered with him for a good deal longer than myself too, It’s just in the hands of the Rolex Gods now haha

Gaz

An illustration of the problem you face; a well-connected friend was rung yesterday by a ‘well known chain’ to ask if he wanted a new Rolex sports model (hard to get). He had never been on any ‘list’ or expressed a jot of interest in the model. But it was offered to him regardless.
    There are, lucky, folk on this forum who routinely get offered scarce models. Other people, most people really, never get a look in.
    Did he buy it? Yes, and he’s offered it to friends (ie me) at the retail price he paid. There’s no fairness in any of this, just connections and luck.
    It's a good job I'm not after any of these so called hot watches as I personally find the above discusting practise when there's lengthy waiting lists.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    It's a good job I'm not after any of these so called hot watches as I personally find the above discusting practise when there's lengthy waiting lists.
    I think the point is that the ‘waiting lists’ are often just a polite fiction. The AD will sell to whoever they want. Is it ‘disgusting’? Not really, more a case of reality. There’s no ‘fairness’ involved.

I think the point is that the ‘waiting lists’ are often just a polite fiction. The AD will sell to whoever they want. Is it ‘disgusting’? Not really, more a case of reality. There’s no ‘fairness’ involved.
    I guess it's how you perceive it.

I know one thing, if I had walked into an AD one year ago enquiring about a watch, and they told me it isn't available right now but they can add me to the waiting list. The a year on a mate turns up wearing said watch fresh from purchase and goes on to tell me he hadn't expressed any interest or added himself to any such list but had received a call from the AD asking if he could be interested, it would turn me completely off the brand. Would be like waiting in line for a bus and then a group of people walking up and shoving themselves to the front of the queue as the doors open because they have a relationship with the driver, if there isn't enough seats for the rest, tough you'll just have to wait for the next one.

Anyway, apologies for taking the track off course, I just find it all pretty bizarre to be honest.

Master
    There is a ‘wait list’ or should I say ‘wait’ as AD’s only get X amount of watches so may not have the model someone wants for a number of months. As you say though, they will sell to whoever they want.

What watch did your mate have and did you buy it?

Craftsman
    Hi James I really can’t justify the cost of grey market, it’s an extra £5k for an unworn model and I really don’t fancy second hand. I have no intention of selling so would just be an additional £5k out of pocket and I can think of better things to do with £5,000 than give it to someone profiteering from this shortage situation. I have no problem waiting for an AD to come through, and if they don’t I’ve still got my health and £7,000 to spend on another brand of watch.

Gaz
    I agree. Stick to your guns and be patient. My eldest will be getting a watch later this year so if the AD I’ve shown interest in has a suitable item, then I’ll be buying it there. When I get the phonecall that my watch is available, the waiting will make it all the worthwhile

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post

What watch did your mate have and did you buy it?
    I haven’t made-up my mind yet; I don’t ‘need’ any more watches but it’s tempting. It’s one of the ‘dive’ family. If I go ahead i’l stick up a picture in a suitable thread. But nearly £9000 is a serious sum of money. I just don’t know....