closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review of Rolex Explorer II

Master

Review of Rolex Explorer II

Hello all,

I’m quite pleased with my Explorer II Polar 16570 which I have owned for a few months now, so as I have some time today, below is my attempt at a watch review of this forum favourite piece.

For info, I previously owned the 42mm version which I also thoroughly enjoyed, but that was sold to fund another watch purchase. I missed it, particularly the white polar dial, and so I thought I give the 16570 a try.

Background

The 16570 was launched in 1989 which evolved from the 16550 of 1985, which itself was a thorough revision of the first Explorer II 1655 (black dial only) launched in 1971 and was designed for cave explorers or “spelunkers” to use the proper term.

The 1655

Here is a picture of a famous spelunker Jean-François Perenette wearing his 1655.

Here is a “cream” dial 16550, obviously originally it was white.

The 16570 evolved during its run, tritium to super luminova, holes to no holes case, and later 3186 movement upgrade and the Rolex Rolex rehault.

The 16570 was succeeded by the current 42mm Explorer II, ref 216570 in 2011, 2011 was the 40th anniversary of Explorer II. The 42mm version is great and a real big bruiser of a Rolex watch and on wrist feels markedly different.

Here is a picture of my old watch.

The Case

The predominately brushed steel case and bracelet gives a robust sport watch feel, with subtle details showing its quality, for example polished highlights on the edge of the steel brushed and sunray pattern finished steel bezel .
    The classic case shape is elegant and moderate sized, with nicely tapering lugs and a lug-to-lug profile of 47mm.

The watch is slim at 12.2mm, and is actually the slimmest versus the other 5 digits sport models of the same era i.e. GMT Master II 12.4mm, Daytona 12.7mm and Submariner 13.0mm. The case diameter is just shy of 40mm at 39.5mm and wears well, with good balance, weight and great overall comfort.

One piece of advice if you are considering one, go for one where the case is in great condition. This model more than other models does not take to polishing particularly well.

*The Dial
    There are only a few white dial sports Rolex in the current line up and through Rolex history, so the white “polar” dial is a major draw and a refreshing change.

The shade is a brilliant snowy white that looks equally great in spring/summer weather or whilst skiing on a blue sky day!

The hour superluminova hour markers have a black surround to give contrast and pop, the markers are actually white gold with a black gloss finish.

The Bracelet

The bracelet is solid, tight and elegantly tapered, the flick-lock clasp is slim and secure. The clasp is also detailed such that it is a continuation of the Oyster link pattern, a nice detail not present on current bracelets.

The current bracelet is better made as it is “bank vault” like in construction. However, the 16570 bracelet, like other bracelets of the Rolex era, are still solid, well made and carry less weight.

Function and Movement

Highly legible, date function, and the red GMT hand and 24h bezel gives the ability to track another time zone, which combined with the quick set hour hand feature makes it an easy travel watch. The watch is also 100m waterproof.
    The movement is the evolved in-house Rolex 3185/3186 movement, it is proven over the very long term, robust, accurate and COSC certified. It is the same base calibre used in other sports Rolex of the era but with the addition of GMT function and the same as movement used in the GMT Master II.

Conclusion

The Rolex Polar Explorer II is minty and a refreshingly different sports watch, but in many ways, it is also a classic old school Rolex sports watch. It is quite straightforward and tough and will take a good beating to add character over time.

The Submariner is definitely more recognisable, but I have noticed in my short time owning it, the Polar Explorer II also attracts curious and appreciating glances.

The Polar Explorer II are for collectors who own or have already tried other sport Rolex watches and want something different, particularly a white dial sports watch, or those who like it from the beginning and just want a Rolex that can do it all, from cave exploring to the office, casually on weekends and whilst travelling. Overall, I think this reference is almost flawless and it is definitely a keeper in the collection for me.
    Last edited by ac11111; 19th April 2019 at 14:47.

Journeyman
    Excellent review. The Explorer II is definitely my next watch!

Nice review. Not my favorite amongst the Explorers but still a great watch. Enjoy it.

An enjoyable read, thanks. Perhaps the only other Rolex I’m keen to own aside from my Submariner. Well, that or a 114270 Explorer.

Nicely written review. I bought mine in 2002 and don't ever see myself selling it. Never really understood why these are not more popular. The dial is a fantastic bit of design.

Craftsman
    Great review, my only question with the Explorer II is why the GMT function, welcome as it is?

I've always liked the older polar Explorer II and I've only ever seen one in the wild once. Literally, the wild, in the bar at the Kylesqu Hotel years ago. I had a chat with the owner who had decided on it over a GMT, since he travelled frequently but wanted something a little less immediately recognisable.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    Great review, my only question with the Explorer II is why the GMT function, welcome as it is?
    If you're in a cave it's meant to remind you whether it's day or night. The travelling feature is a side benefit.

Excellent write up. I am a huge fan of the 16550 simply because of the huge number of variations that exist. From the rail dials, different handsets/index surrounds, the cream versions (of which there are at least 3), the different bezel types and so on.

As a result I have a couple. An uber rare cream non-hyphen and a black "spider" Rail version - which I am wearing today.

Hugely underated watch, considering it shares so much DNA with the GMT 2 and a bit of a bargain, in the World of Rolex.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Thanks guys.

The gmt function I think was originally just a 24 hour hand so that cave explorers can tell whether it’s day or night...then it became a gmt hand with the 16550 model. So the watch just evolved to be for travel and not just for cave exploring i guess

I’ve just got mine out of the watch box and put it on a rubber b for the summer.

I’d forgotten how nice they are!

Master
    I have 5 Rolex and the 1655 is the one I prefer the most. It has got the history and you don't see hardly any others around. The plexi glass gives it a lovely vintage look.

It is still as good as newish watches and last time I wore it, it gained 2 secs over 28 days. Not bad for a 1980 model.

Also it looks cool and an old watch on an old man is how it should be. It will be the watch I wear when I go to meet my maker.

PS - Good write up from the OP.
    Last edited by Mick P; 19th April 2019 at 17:46.

I work with a guy who has had a 1655 since new
    It’s his only watch and he had no idea of the value.
    He has worn it every day since he bought it. The bezel numerals have worn off, it’s scratched and dinked and the orange hand has faded but it looks great. The 1655 and 5517 are the only Rolex I would consider buying (in the unlikely event finds allowed)

Craftsman
    I do like the cream dial 16550

Master
    Informative and infectiously enthusiastic review. Want one. My steinhart vintage GMT is too big.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Great article, thanks.

I miss mine. Almost perfect watch.

I've been toying about buying the 16570 again lately.

Good write up. Thanks.

I love mine

It was my first Rolex but it had become an obsession. The more I saw it, the more I knew it was the one, but when I finally received it I was slightly underwhelmed. The brushing was rough as a badger's proverbial, the dial seemed too plain, the bracelet seemed a bit flimsy, etc. It was my first big spend on a watch and I wanted it to really deliver.

However, the more I wore it the more I realised what it was about. The size is perfect, the lume is outstanding, the accuracy is consistently within +2 secs, I don't have to worry about dinging the case because it looks rough anyway and the bracelet is the most comfortable I own and is solid. The whole package is perfect.

It used to be one of the less popular sports models so the price was reasonable 4 years ago but it seems to be gaining ground, which is nice

They look good on rubber too.

Master
    Used to have a polar about 8 years ago. The thing I remember most is it’s quite distinctive in design, loved the slim case and the whiter than white dial.

I’ve owned a fair share of white dial watches, the EXP-II was the one that stood out the most, almost as if it “glowed” bright white

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    They look good on rubber too.

Looks great is the strap an Everest or Rubber b?

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Looks great is the strap an Everest or Rubber b?
    Rubber b; it’s been on a 16600, 16710 and now the 16570.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Rubber b; it’s been on a 16600, 16710 and now the 16570.
    Do the OEM spring bars work with the strap?

Yes, it’s designed fir the Rolex spring bars.

My explorer is a lug hole model, I don’t think I’d like to try it on a later 16570 although it’s doable as others on here have shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    I do like the cream dial 16550
    I love mine, however legibility can be a bit of an issue as the hands match the dial almost perfectly. It's certainly eye catching.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm sold! What a great blog. Thanks

Craftsman
    Great write up. Stunner of a watch.
    I'm tempted now!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Great write up. The 16570 remains one of my favourite watches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Many thanks ac.

Apprentice
    Good write up and lovely watch. I used to have the 42mm version but just found it a touch too big. Seriously thinking of selling my El Primero to fund the 5 digit version as I really fancy trying one myself.

Master
    Another element to add to the knowledge base is the 'thick/thin frame'. That is ...

In the course of the last phase of the 16570, 2008-11 (engraved rehaut and 3186), Rolex changed the thickness of the hour marker from thick to thin. You therefore sometimes see a late 16570 advertised as 'thin-frame'. Some preferred the older and thicker (bolder, a better match with the hands), some the newer and thinner (dial a bit more spacious, lume plot is larger). Either way, one thing about the 'thin-frame' is that you know it's a late production one, and a 3186.

You can see the difference in the juxtaposition shots @

https://forum.watchlounge.com/index....-wd-varianten/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefs View Post
    Good write up and lovely watch. I used to have the 42mm version but just found it a touch too big. Seriously thinking of selling my El Primero to fund the 5 digit version as I really fancy trying one myself.
    Cheers. We have similar taste, as a former owner of the 42mm version and also sold an el primero. I currently have another el primero on order, so going round in circles!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Cheers. We have similar taste, as a former owner of the 42mm version and also sold an el primero. I currently have another el primero on order, so going round in circles!
    Shame about my timing or you could have bought mine or better still handed over your EXPii in exchange

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefs View Post
    Shame about my timing or you could have bought mine or better still handed over your EXPii in exchange
    The 40mm polar exp II is a keeper for me now and as for el primero, the below model has been ordered and is the only one I want out of the whole range, current and back catalogue aside from the original a386.

Is the premium for the end of line models with the 3186 movement worth the extra over a model with a 3185 movement with all things being equal, condition, box, papers etc.

I don’t think there’s a particular premium for any model all things being equal, it’s all a matter of personal preference.

In all cases though, the polar dial tends to be worth slightly more than the black dial.

Master
    I would say parachrom hairspring is not really worth paying more for. Robust, reliable and accurate movements are a given for almost any Rolex and the 3185 movement is as proven as they come.

Collectible for Rolex at least is 99% driven by differences in how the watch looks, usually. Perhaps some like the Rolex Rolex rehault, but equally there are those who prefer not to have that.

So I think price differences could reflect condition, the 3186 normally looks in significantly better condition, maybe because the older explorer 2 is a watch that is bashed around a bit more. It won’t be as baby’d as a Daytona or gmt master for sure.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh I do enjoy a good review. The ExpII is a brilliant watch and Ive always really enjoyed them. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Master
    I never knew about the 'Spelunking' connection. During a (aborted) MRI a few years ago I discovered I had chronic claustrophobia. I'll have to sell mine on now

I have finally purchased one and will be picking it up this weekend, can’t wait!

Master
    I have finally purchased one and will be picking it up this weekend, can’t wait!
    Congrats and enjoy!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Congrats and enjoy!
    Great review,just finalised a deal for a 2002 full set.

Having picked this up yesterday I thought I would post a quick image taken while waiting for the train back to London.

And a massive thanks to Haywood’s team both Alan and Paul for such excellent service as always.

forensic anthropology salary uk
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 28th April 2019 at 17:14.

Review of Rolex Explorer II

Having picked this up yesterday I thought I would post a quick image taken while waiting for the train back to London.

And a massive thanks to Haywood’s team both Alan and Paul for such excellent service as always.

forensic anthropology salary uk
    Nice one! You can’t go wrong buying from Haywood!

I bought my polar Exp II from him a couple of years ago.

Currently on rubber.