closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Entry level ultrasonic cleaner advice

Journeyman

Entry level ultrasonic cleaner advice

Greetings all,
    Could anyone recommend a functional entry-level ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning out movement parts and bracelets? The James Ultra 7000S seems to be the one the stands out as cheap and efficient, but if anyone has any warnings against or recommendations for, i'd be very keen to hear.
    thank you.

Master
    Go on eBay and search 1.3L ultrasonic cleaner, you’ll find a more industrial (stainless steel) looking cleaner with digital displays and touch pads to adjust heating and time for £38.99.

Only thing you’ll need is a basket but search for fine mesh basket and you’ll find a square one that slots in.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Go on eBay and search 1.3L ultrasonic cleaner, you’ll find a more industrial (stainless steel) looking cleaner with digital displays and touch pads to adjust heating and time for £38.99.

Only thing you’ll need is a basket but search for fine mesh basket and you’ll find a square one that slots in.
    thank you, i see it. but for such small parts, i'd have thought i need sub 1L, no?

Master
    It’s still a small unit, the James one is 750ml anyway and comes with a plastic tray which is useless for watch parts. You’ll need baskets either way. It’s just a much better thing for similar money.

You’re better off junking the trays (plastic or even mesh) and putting small parts in glass jars.

You then only need to use small amounts of any cleaning fluids, the rest of the bath can be water and you’ll only have a small amount of dirty liquid to dispose of.

The glass is invisible to ultrasonic waves whereas the plastic isn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You’re better off junking the trays (plastic or even mesh) and putting small parts in glass jars.

You then only need to use small amounts of any cleaning fluids, the rest of the bath can be water and you’ll only have a small amount of dirty liquid to dispose of.

The glass is invisible to ultrasonic waves whereas the plastic isn’t.
    Great advice! I purchased a second hand Whaledent Bio sonic swiss made one from a retiring orthodontist , I picked it up on Ebay .

It doesnt have a heater ,so I use warm water ( not boiling ), from the kettle its done the job for me so far and cost the same as a brand new cheaper make.

I was able to see the tin foil test sheets, that Medical practices have to do so I Knew it was a good machine. Keep an eye on Ebay and the like, you can pick up some bargains

I've got a cheap one someone was chucking out; 5 years on it still does a grand job.

I think the low-end ones will be fine, Aldi / Lidl sometimes have them in their Middle Aisle (The Isle of Mystery!)

I think the low-end ones will be fine, Aldi / Lidl sometimes have them in their Middle Aisle (The Isle of Mystery!)[/QUOTE]

Lmao Very good !

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Electric toothbrushes take some beating!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    this maybe so and i have heard this many a time, but surely it is so much more effort/mess/faff, compared with dunking in a bath of warm water for 3 mins? of course, you need to go through the faff of buying (and choosing) the machine....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    It’s still a small unit, the James one is 750ml anyway and comes with a plastic tray which is useless for watch parts. You’ll need baskets either way. It’s just a much better thing for similar money.
    Hi James/all,
    I finally procured one of these and gave it a go yesterday on a Rolex jubilee bracelet - and disaster ensued. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but it doesn't seem to have shifted what looks like a skin-based mess on this clasp, nor did it shift thick black chunks of residue clogged within the hollow end links and springbar. I put it on for 2mins at 50C, then upped it to 7mins. It's now left some marks on the other (visible) side of clasp which i can't seen to buff out.
    Is my machine potentially faulty? I made a very noisy screeching sound when 'on', so something is happening.
    Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by john_coburg View Post
    Hi James/all,
    I finally procured one of these and gave it a go yesterday on a Rolex jubilee bracelet - and disaster ensued. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but it doesn't seem to have shifted what looks like a skin-based mess on this clasp, nor did it shift thick black chunks of residue clogged within the hollow end links and springbar. I put it on for 2mins at 50C, then upped it to 7mins. It's now left some marks on the other (visible) side of clasp which i can't seen to buff out.
    Is my machine potentially faulty? I made a very noisy screeching sound when 'on', so something is happening.
    Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Which model did you buy?

This one?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

does'nt sound good! It should make a noise but mine does'nt screech !!!

You may need to give it a soak first in some hot water with a cleaner in, I always stick some cilit bang in a small dish with hot water for 20 mins or so then place item in the unit.

I dont know if your bracelet has a PVD coating, if so it could be this has scuffed causing the marks. I would try some 3 in 1 oil, apply on a soft cloth, to see if I could dull the marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Which model did you buy?

This one?
    Seriously, I cannot think how you can scratch your watch in a ultrasonic cleaner so that you cannot buff it out? Just making sure, you did put water in it?

I do regular cleanings, where I disassemble the bracelets from my watches and drop bracelets and springbars into the ultrasonic bath, while giving the watch heads a good brush with a toothbrush and some soapy water.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.