closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Looking for a vintage gmt or sub , 5512 or 1680

Banned

Looking for a vintage gmt or sub , 5512 or 1680

So I just tried on a 1680 sub date in watchfinder Brent Cross and I’m quite taken by it . Apart from the flimsy steel bracelet it’s an absolute beauty . I was previously interested in a 5512 on tz but decided to do some homework before I dive in .

I have a wtb for 1675 gmt so I’m open to a gmt or sub , I’m still a bit confused with all these service dials and hands and don’t want to over pay for a watch that has too many non original parts .

Which sub should I be looking for , the 5513/5512 or a 1680 ? Just wanted to get some views from members who may be slightly better informed than me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post
    So I just tried on a 1680 sub date in watchfinder Brent Cross and I’m quite taken by it . Apart from the flimsy steel bracelet it’s an absolute beauty . I was previously interested in a 5512 on tz but decided to do some homework before I dive in .

I have a wtb for 1675 gmt so I’m open to a gmt or sub , I’m still a bit confused with all these service dials and hands and don’t want to over pay for a watch that has too many non original parts .

Which sub should I be looking for , the 5513/5512 or a 1680 ? Just wanted to get some views from members who may be slightly better informed than me

It ultimately depends upon budget.

As for a ND Sub, I would go 5513 rather than pay the premium for a 4 liner 5512 (which are harder to find and hence more expensive). The meter first or Maxi versions are super nice.

Personally I would avoid a 1680 unless it's a Red so would look for a 16800 instead as it has a better movement and quickset date. The downside is you will not a domed plexy and will have to put up with a sapphire crystal.

If it's a GMT that tickles your fancy, again I would avoid the 1675 and go straight to the 16750 because like the 16800 it has a better movement and quickset date. However unlike the 16800 the 16750 retained the domed plexy and looks much pretty identical to the 1675 especially if it has the earlier matt dial.

But if you have the budget, the best vintage Rolex from this period has to be 1665 SeaDweller.

iMHO of course.

As for replacement bits, it's best you find a watch and get expert advice, simply because these watches are at least 35 years old and chances are that something might have been replaced at some point.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    It ultimately depends upon budget.

As for a ND Sub, I would go 5513 rather than pay the premium for a 4 liner 5512 (which are harder to find and hence more expensive). The meter first or Maxi versions are super nice.

Personally I would avoid a 1680 unless it's a Red so would look for a 16800 instead as it has a better movement and quickset date. The downside is you will not a domed plexy and will have to put up with a sapphire crystal.

If it's a GMT that tickles your fancy, again I would avoid the 1675 and go straight to the 16750 because like the 16800 it has a better movement and quickset date. However unlike the 16800 the 16750 retained the domed plexy and looks much pretty identical to the 1675 especially if it has the earlier matt dial.

But if you have the budget, the best vintage Rolex from this period has to be 1665 SeaDweller.

iMHO of course.

As for replacement bits, it's best you find a watch and get expert advice, simply because these watches are at least 35 years old and chances are that something might have been replaced at some point.
    Great advice , thanks Andy

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    You have got to really know what you are doing when buying vintage and I would think seriously about getting a 5 series Sub or GMT. They will have the sapphire glass but are a much better watch from a user point of view and they still have the old Rolex look. Also there are more original models around.

Also, the 5 series are now almost vintage in themselves and are very wearable as the daily watch.

Do a Google, take a look at the 4 and 5 series equivalents and see what you think.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You have got to really know what you are doing when buying vintage and I would think seriously about getting a 5 series Sub or GMT. They will have the sapphire glass but are a much better watch from a user point of view and they still have the old Rolex look. Also there are more original models around.

Also, the 5 series are now almost vintage in themselves and are very wearable as the daily watch.

Do a Google, take a look at the 4 and 5 series equivalents and see what you think.
    Having a look , however prices seem to be so random , hard to work out why prices vary so much , 1 could be 7k and another could be 15k and can’t work out why ? I’m sure doing some homework will help