closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nosiy spring bars on chunky straps

Journeyman

Nosiy spring bars on chunky straps

Good morning all
    Does anyone share my problem whereby when attaching a relatively thick leather strap the spring bars make an irritating 'click' - almost as if they might snap - when doing up/undoing the buckle, due to the sheer heft of the leather. It makes the experience of putting the watch on an off rather unpleasant! I never paid much attention to spring bars previously as on bracelets, they tend to either work or they don't. After switching some around, some 'click', others don't, and there doesn't seem to be a way of telling a priori.
    Is there a particular type of 'heavy-wearing'/'rugged' spring bar to be used on thick leather straps?
    Do people have a particular favourite type of high quality spring bar - and if so, what to look for? All the ones i find on the bay tend to be cheap and cheerful Chinese ones...difficult to tell what is a quality example and what isn't.
    Thank you for any thoughts!

[/url]

Grand Master
    Cousins do an extensive range, suggest you have a look on their site and choose the thickest available. However, provided the springbar is strong and in good condition I wouldn't worry about it.

Craftsman
    I had the same a while back on a 21mm springbar that came with a JPM strap I bought. I bought some new springbars specifically for the Omega in 21mm and compared the two. The springy bits on the strap springbar were longer compared to the springy bits on the Omega bracelet springbar - therefore I can only think that you want a springbar of X width where more of the width is made up of the actual springbar than the springy bits.

Sorry if that's a really poor explanation - hope it makes some sense at least!

I’ve had this problem before and found it was because the holes in the lungs had become worn by many strap changes. Problem was solved by putting a tiny piece of eraser rubber in the hole before putting in a new bar.

One way to test it is to fix a bar to the watch with no strap on it, then gently press the bar in the centre. If it clicks, it could be what happened to mine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    I’ve had this problem before and found it was because the holes in the lungs had become worn by many strap changes. Problem was solved by putting a tiny piece of eraser rubber in the hole before putting in a new bar.

One way to test it is to fix a bar to the watch with no strap on it, then gently press the bar in the centre. If it clicks, it could be what happened to mine.
    That’d be what my money was on too, worn holes.

Apprentice
    Hi, I have had exactly the same problem on a Citizen I bought recently, so I know what you mean.
    I've been a lurker here for a while, but registered, because I think I can help :)

I have a very similar Datejust which I wear on a leather strap after 20 years daily use wore the bracelet out.
    I haven't had any problems with my Rolex, because the spring bars extend 2mm into the holes rather than the usual less than 1mm. The holes in the lugs make it possible to remove these ones.
    I suspect the holes on your watch might be slightly worn, but if you fit the longer bars they will locate much more securely and you shouldn't get this problem.

I have attached a photo of a standard spring bar (right) and the Rolex one (left)

I hope this helps

Duncan

spring_bars.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by downsman View Post
    Hi, I have had exactly the same problem on a Citizen I bought recently, so I know what you mean.
    I've been a lurker here for a while, but registered, because I think I can help :)

I have a very similar Datejust which I wear on a leather strap after 20 years daily use wore the bracelet out.
    I haven't had any problems with my Rolex, because the spring bars extend 2mm into the holes rather than the usual less than 1mm. The holes in the lugs make it possible to remove these ones.
    I suspect the holes on your watch might be slightly worn, but if you fit the longer bars they will locate much more securely and you shouldn't get this problem.

I have attached a photo of a standard spring bar (right) and the Rolex one (left)

I hope this helps

Duncan

spring_bars.jpg
    Shoulderless, too, my favourite. Cousins do them. Best option with a NATO -- nothing for the fabric to grip or grab on to.