closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 38mm Panerai - sacrilege or genius?

38mm Panerai - sacrilege or genius?

On the basis of 38mm as a diameter for a Panerai it sounds ridiculous, and certainly the measly 30m water resistance doesn't help. But many reviews laud praises on them, many saying the proportions work in a way that they never did to scale on the 40 or 42mm, and so I'm keen to try one.

It's certainly an interesting approach to take by a firm better known for over-sized than "normal". And the grey dial version is to die for.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Is that the thickness :-)

You don't chose clothing sizes based on other people's bodies.

Same should go for watches as well.

You pick them on what you like, what you can afford and what suits you well.

38mm is a good size for me. Even 36 mm...

Master
    All Panerai should be 44mm, it’s the classic size. The large crystal gives it the very distinctive look that most WIS associate with the brand.
    Smaller Panerai look exactly that! smaller in a poorer way.

Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    All Panerai should be 44mm, it’s the classic size.
    Isn't 47mm the historically correct size? And that 44mm was the dumbed down size picked to make them more commercially attractive? Or have I been falling for unsubstantiated online rubbish?

They're the first PAMs that I've actually considered as the rest just look too large given the face to case ratio.

But I was rapidly put off by the folks on here who educated me on the apparent building to a budget, and that's not appealing when they're several k.

Master
    Really want to try one. I've always liked the styling of pams, but have never once given one consideration due to the (based on my proportions) clownish dimensions. 38mm sounds perfect!

If I was obliged to choose between these two, I would take the little one, because the dial is so much better, being sunburst and sandwich. The big one looks basic in a not-great way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    If I was obliged to choose between these two, I would take the little one, because the dial is so much better, being sunburst and sandwich. The big one looks basic in a not-great way.

The big one looks basic in an "I could be a vostok" kind of way. Nothing at all to suggest it commands any kind of price tag, let alone a 4 figure price tag.

I’ve just ordered one for my wife, saw it in the window of the Panerai shop in Florence and we went in and she tried it on and it looked great on. Not sure how it would look on me though!

Journeyman
    I like ALL pans

38mm Panerai - sacrilege or genius?

30m WR is a ridiculous specification for a brand normally milking its diving heritage when dress watches can achieve much more than this. It also should have been manageable in the reduced case size, ( my 36mm PRS29A for example has 100m WR )
    Last edited by Lammylee; 19th April 2019 at 08:14.

Master
    I agree 30m is cr@p for a watch associated with divers.

To me Panerai’s should be oversized - but then again I give them credit for trying to widen their appeal.

38mm - that can be viewed as their oversized ‘woman’s’ version

But if please Panerai - give it some more WR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Of course, the originals are built to the design of the second generation of Oysters, like so:

in which the first generation’s wire lugs were replaced with what are now considered traditional lugs. These watches were 32mm or so.

And always seem to have a sufficiency of dial to me, in both variants.

The case diameter has nothing to do with WR.
    It is 11.2 mm thick which is the minimum they could go to in order to accommodate the OP caliber with 3 days power reserve and their trademark crown protection.
    The strap size would suggest they are for women though men can wear them with longer straps.
    Just because it has dive watch heritage or the brand is associated with dovers, it is stoopid to expect every watch they manufacture to be a diver.
    They could have achieved a higher WR with same thickness using a different movement and getting rid of the crown protection but that is not what they chose.

38mm

Personally, I would like to try one. Seems the trend is towards smaller watches nowadays!

Had a 44mm PAM89, which I found too bulky and uncomfortable, but the Ti weight was great. Paradoxically the larger PAM292 I found much more comfortable on the wrist!

Perhaps a steel 38mm would be a good compromise...

Journeyman
    Well,panerai did made smaller watches in the early years,however they were all made in precious metal

40mm WG pam 62 from 2001 next to 44mm pam 345

They’re not marketed as a woman’s watch, nor should they be. 38mm is still considered a male size despite all the large dive watches out there. It comes down to being man enough to wear something that “small”!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a 47mm 372, a 44mm base and just got the 42mm due ( unpopular ivory dial) it wears differently but is nonetheless a beautiful watch and is more dressy. Panerai have a hard time pleasing purists. Many like simple uncluttered dials and heritage models, but then the forum is filled with power reserves and chronos and other dial features. In Asia both men and women favour the larger 47mm models. The due collection is actually well thought out and the rose gold models are beautifully finished. It's hard for any brand to please all market segments with one style. In my mind the smaller sizes work and will attract a new buyer who wants something distinctive and panerai with a slimmer profile and more dressy dials. The smaller sizes still work well in terms of proportion. Give them a try, plus they look stunning in the store window displays. I went for the crazy green croc strap which weirdly works a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Olives View Post
    I have a 47mm 372, a 44mm base and just got the 42mm due ( unpopular ivory dial) it wears differently but is nonetheless a beautiful watch and is more dressy. Panerai have a hard time pleasing purists. Many like simple uncluttered dials and heritage models, but then the forum is filled with power reserves and chronos and other dial features. In Asia both men and women favour the larger 47mm models. The due collection is actually well thought out and the rose gold models are beautifully finished. It's hard for any brand to please all market segments with one style. In my mind the smaller sizes work and will attract a new buyer who wants something distinctive and panerai with a slimmer profile and more dressy dials. The smaller sizes still work well in terms of proportion. Give them a try, plus they look stunning in the store window displays. I went for the crazy green croc strap which weirdly works a treat.

Loving the ivory dial, which is somethingi wouldn't have considered before. Agree with your sentiment about giving it a try though!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I’m slightly surprised that this is being talked about as a man or women’s watch!! Men wear smaller watches than 38mm whilst there are plenty of women that wear bigger watches. It’s a 38mm watch and will surely suit anyone who likes how it looks on their wrist.

But to get back on track - if you like how it looks on your wrist go for it. I started out with a Pam24 but moved it on quickly as it wore too big for my taste. Moved to a 40mm Pam48 which I loved, perfect size for me and, whilst hardly essential for my surface water lifestyle, good water resistance.

I now wear a 42mm Pam535 - which I find more legible as my eyesight deteriorates (its an age thing!!), but doesn’t have the wr of the 40mm offerings.

So go for whatever works for you. Personally I think it’s great that Panerai are introducing more variety of sizes whilst retaining their basic identity.

Sacrilege or genius? ❌
    Business? ✅
    Gray

Craftsman
    Personally i tried the duos on at my last visit to the boutique in both 42 and 45 mm and they were very nice but not for me
    Tried on 42 mm and 44 mm luminor marinas my head was telling me go 42mm for a change as i already have owned a number of 44mm
    My goal was a 1392 but on the wrist it felt too small just not a panerai
    then i put on the 1312 bigger and lovely but then came the swerve ball
    Sales guy says try the 1351 and wow i just love titanium panerais this one just sings so that’s what i ordered and love it
    But now i have 2 panerais the other being a sub 25 titanium 2 seems not enough i loved the 913 london edition and there trying to source me my birth year number fingers crossed
    It doesn’t end there thinking i haven’t got a radiomar and I’ve had an amazing offer on a new 754
    Loving the panerais not loving the bank balance

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I used to think pams were way big, but the turtle is 45mm and wears like my BB36.
    I wonder how these wear, but the 3 atm is really weird...

BUBI 0_0