closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why are modern TV's so bad

Journeyman

Why are modern TV's so bad

I had a Panny plasma for 10 years, weighed a ton - gave it away.

My 18 month old hisense has developed a power issue, lucky for me it's still in warranty. I just extended the warranty for 3 years for £119. Not bad for a 60" 4k tv i thought.

Thing is I shouldn't have to.

I've got a Hisense 4K in my office which I've had for 4 years. It's on at least 8 hours a day and never given a problem. £299 from Richer Sounds, not worth taking an extended warranty at that price.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Is this a common fault with Hisense or other brands?
    Is it not possible that you are rather unfortunate to have a failure (at least it happened within warranty) or were fortunate that the Panasonic didn’t develop a fault(s)?
    Would the equivalent Panasonic LCD have suffered a similar issue?

Wouldn’t it be fair to say that your hypothesis needs further corroboration in order to satisfy the premature conclusion reached?

Master
    I subscribe to Which and nearly always take their advice. I cannot remember ever having a TV break down on me. I have always changed them when improvements come along. Right now I run 4 Samsungs and they are all fine.

Journeyman
    The 60" hisense was purchased from AO, for about £700, the warranty takes me through to 2023 now. For £119 I didn't even think twice, whereas I normally NEVER buy any kind of warranty at all.

I also ditched a samsung 32" a year ago after that developed a fault, that was just over a year old and cost maybe £250 or so.

It's probably my own fault for being so tight.. if i had spent a couple of grand it may last.

I should have just bought from richersounds or john lewis and got a decent warranty in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I've got a Hisense 4K in my office which I've had for 4 years. It's on at least 8 hours a day and never given a problem. £299 from Richer Sounds, not worth taking an extended warranty at that price.

Eddie
    Richersounds for the win! 5 years on most tvs.

Grand Master
    I live close to a TV repair shop, they do still exist. I had a Samsung fixed several years ago, the 2 of the capacitors in the power supply had failed after approx. 2 years use. Had them all replaced by better quality components and the TV was fine for a good few years.

They seem to get the hard bit right (screen technology) but skimp on component quality in the rest of the circuitry. This problem was quite common at the time and it put me off Samsung products for life.

Journeyman
    always the power boards, the last one that died I did get a power board off ebay but that didnt fix it.. then i was £80 down. its just not worth doing it yourself. I am not aware of a local tv repair place that will fault find to component level, dying art. I was in the royal signals as a tech years ago and think i know more than i actually do.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Always buy Pannys touch wood no problems with 7 TVs over the years. My main TV had that 3 years 65” 4K and still pleased. As soon as the OLEDs drop a bit further I will invest

Sony

I never have had anything but Sony
    They’re reliable for me - never had issues
    Samsung’s for my parents - they won’t listen - pretty crap tbh - especially sound
    John Lewis with a price match in pretty much anything I buy electrical
    Nice staff - not pushy etc and a great range

Journeyman
    Panny - richersounds, costco or john lewis and you are on to a winner! but i always just go for cheap cr4p. I'll be ok now with my warranty until 2023. That cursiously is what i would have paid buying from richer or john lewis

Master
    I have a Samsung 42" TV which is so full of "smart" features that when you switch it on, it's at least 30 seconds before it fully boots up - the picture comes on straight away, but for the first minute it lags terribly and is a nightmare.

Press "2" and nothing happens, so 10 seconds later press "2" again and suddenly channel 22 comes up. Of you're really impatient it tries to load channel "222" and then takes ages to clear.

After about 30 -60 seconds it settles down and works fine.

I presume it's because it has a processer that can barely keep up. It's annoying as I never use any of the smart features, but I am sure it's the loading of all these in the background that slows it down.

I wished I could buy a big tv with wifi but absolutely no other built in features. My AppleTV can do the rest.

Journeyman
    i ditched the samsung smart features on my last tv, unbeknownst to me the "smart" network went down and i lost all the features. So all of my user data flowed through samsung!!

Master
    Not looking forward to the day my old Panny plasma dies. Went into a Sony shop the other day and a young kid asked me what tv I had, he laughed when I told him I had a plasma, I said it had a better picture than any live Transmissions they had on display.

Hello

I have a Hisense it’s just over a year old and been great. Did develop an issue and they (or their registered engineers) are coming to sort it. Motherboard related.

JL and Hisense have been very helpful.

We always used to get Panasonic’s and had very little issues with them just found they were limited with Apps and updates.

I’d go Hisense over Panasonic now for sure.

I think TV’s are like a lot of new products - filled with loads of extras you don’t really need but are used as a USP. Plus, the more you cram into them the more there is to go wrong. My favourite TV for quality was my Panasonic plasma. Spec was out of date when I bought it but the picture was a joy. I hope the lucky bastard who got it from our break in is still enjoying the picture.

Master
    Read some reviews, it seems they are cheap for a reason. Chinese state owned company so the QC isn’t going to be the best.

Master
    I’ve got a Samsung LCD that I have had for about 10 years and never a days problem with it. The picture quality is still very good (imho) even now.
    I’ve just purchased a new LG OLED for the living room. If it’s as reliable as the Samsung, I will be happy.

This has made me realise how much things have moved on. My last TV was a 26 inch CRT that used to keep the room warm! It was 27 years ago now. I still get my monthly letter from BBC TV Licensing though all these years later. It's nice that they remember me, and with communications all going electronic it keeps the postie in a job, it's lovely to receive, and now that we recycle paper at least it has a use.

Quote Originally Posted by needmorstuff View Post
    always the power boards, the last one that died I did get a power board off ebay but that didnt fix it.. then i was £80 down. its just not worth doing it yourself. I am not aware of a local tv repair place that will fault find to component level, dying art. I was in the royal signals as a tech years ago and think i know more than i actually do.
    Was you good at heat shrinking guy ropes. Relays rule

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I was in JL a while back, the Sony rep was in there and asked what TV I had. Told her I had a Pana Plasma which cost £1,200 about 12 years ago. She said keep it as they are still the best for quality. The picture is absolutely mint .... sharp picture and super deep blacks.

Master
    ^
    Not much of a rep!
    As someone with a younger Panny plasma than yours, if I was looking at a new TV now, I’d be all over the 55” Sony AF8 or FZ952.

I've got a 32" Samsung Smart TV on the wall in front of my rowing machine. Recently nearly every morning I turn it on it defaults to Rakuten TV (which I think has some links with Samsung). It's more than annoying when all I want to do is catch up with BBC news for half an hour when rowing!

I've tried various things to stop it including resetting the TV to factory defaults but it still persists on defaulting to this channel that I have no interest in. It must have silently updated it's own firmware at some point because it never used to do it, I'm even thinking of changing the TV for a different brand as it's so frustrating.

Not so bloody Smart Samsung, if you ask me!

Master
    Never had a bad bit of Panasonic kit. JVC are similar.

I’ve had good experiences with LG oleds though. I’d save the money over the panasonic and buy the biggest LG oled you can afford.

Master
    I bought a LG 49 inch LCD tv some 12 years ago at £1200 IIRC. Apart from blowing the odd fuse in the plug it has been perfect and still is. Sadly had to leave it behind when I moved out from a cohabitation. Been through a few crap tv's since, now have a Techwood, which is or was an AO own brand. Had a few issues, but AO were first class in their customer service and addressed every problem well.
    Oddly the smart functions failed about a year ago but now seem to be working again. Go figure.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I also have a TCL 4K and the picture and sound are good but it irritates the hell out of me that there isn't an app available for Amazon Prime video. I've e-mailed them twice asking if they are going to make one available and apart from acknowledging receipt, they haven't given me an answer.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I also have a TCL 4K and the picture and sound are good but it irritates the hell out of me that there isn't an app available for Amazon Prime video. I've e-mailed them twice asking if they are going to make one available and apart from acknowledging receipt, they haven't given me an answer.

Eddie
    They probably will launch it but won't acknowledge it publicly due to competition from other providers.

Master
    B & O for me. Fantastic sound and a rotating stand for viewing positions. They do lag behind on latest gizmos though but my last one was still going strong after 12 years before it was replaced.

Master
    LG are producing some great TVs at very competitive prices at the moment. A few weeks back I bought a 55” OLED 4K LG for a little under a grand, and its superb.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    LG are producing some great TVs at very competitive prices at the moment. A few weeks back I bought a 55” OLED 4K LG for a little under a grand, and its superb.

Sounds like we have the same tv then.

We moved to this from a Panasonic 42 inch non full hd plasma and the difference is night and day. Still have the plasma in the other reception room but on the odd occasion it's used it's always a relief to go back to the oled.

Don't get me wrong, not cheap but we're really happy with it so far.

Master
    Our old (Samsung 42” lcd) went in the 2nd reception too, the new one is in the kitchen diner.
    We have run out of space to put old tellys though, they never seem to break down, worth nothing second hand but too good to just throw away. We now have 6 TVs of various ages and sizes in different rooms around the house!

Master
    When my VT Panny went pop in the new year I started to look for a new TV.
    I watch films & fair few sports mainly, UHD
    Finally settled on LG OLED, out the box very similar to my plasma.
    AV forums gave me a link to set it up properly, just like the plasma when that was new.
    OMG what a difference the new settings made, if your plasma dies there is a new hero available.
    Bonus, hardly any heat & not power hungry :)

Craftsman
    What's the upgrade for a 42" plasma if you don't want to go up in size?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    What's the upgrade for a 42" plasma if you don't want to go up in size?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    If you want Oled will need to be 55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    When my VT Panny went pop in the new year I started to look for a new TV.
    I watch films & fair few sports mainly, UHD
    Finally settled on LG OLED, out the box very similar to my plasma.
    AV forums gave me a link to set it up properly, just like the plasma when that was new.
    OMG what a difference the new settings made, if your plasma dies there is a new hero available.
    Bonus, hardly any heat & not power hungry :)
    Can you give us the link please? I’ve just bought a new LG OLED.

Craftsman
    Over the last ten years I've had two Panasonics, a Sony, an LG, a Samsung and a DGM. Only one of those has broken, the DGM. My brother-in-law recently retired the Sony after eight years of good service and I've had the LG and one of the Panasonics for five years. The Samsung I've only had for two years and doesn't get used much.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Can you give us the link please? I’ve just bought a new LG OLED.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b8-oled/settings

Cheers

Got a 48” Panasonic in dining room that was our main tv, it’s really showing it’s age now. 55” Sony in lounge, four years old now, never again! Everything is so slow and a lack of apps and some channels is irritating.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm currently replacing all the TV's with Samsung. Two done, two more to go.
    Using John Lewis. Same price as everywhere else but actually pleasant to deal with!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Just looked at this but it doesn’t seem compatible with my tv (OLED55B8SLC)

I don’t seem to have the advanced settings availability on mine but thanks anyway.

Another overlooked issue is something known as dirty screen effect where the anti reflective coating on the screen has been applied unevenly its particularly noticeable when watching sports I have written to all the leading gadget type magazines such as T3 and Stuff but they have never acknowledged Me as they are in the pocket of the leading home entertainment manufacturers.The manufacturers know about it but are not duty bound to replace Your screen if it has this problem.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Just looked at this but it doesn’t seem compatible with my tv (OLED55B8SLC)

I don’t seem to have the advanced settings availability on mine but thanks anyway.
    Same TV as mine- I think you only see the advanced settings once you have changed the picture mode. That’s what I did anyway

Master
    Our past 2 tv's have been LG, current one is 4 years old and going strong and the previous one is coming up on 10 years and still in service at a friends. I'd not buy another make as they seem to be well built and have the best smart tv ui out there. Also I believe they are a major manufacturer of LCD and OLED panels.