closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Laptop to replace my old pc

Laptop to replace my old pc

Hi guys. Anyone recommend a decent laptop to replace our old pc at work that has given up the ghost
    Need a screen at least at 15” nothing special use it for doing quotes printing off invoices etc.
    Windows 7 if poss needs to link up to the hp printer we have
    Was gonna get another pc but it does take up a large part of the trade counter so a laptop maybe good
    Big enough to watch a bit of tele on iPlayer n stuff when it’s quiet.
    Cheers Andy

Craftsman
    It really depends on your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    It really depends on your budget?
    Very true.
    Up to £450-£500 max

Get a mini PC (about a 1/4 the size of a shoebox), monitor and Bluetooth mouse and keyboard?

A very clean desktop and should last longer and perform better than a laptop at that price point.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Very true.
    Up to £450-£500 max
    Something along these lines would be ideal,

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/P...pt=ABU&sel=NTB

Personally I really rate HP, it's usually what I spec for customers, alternatively Dell or Lenovo, if you prefer something else.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought an all in one from Amazon. Windows 10 and as powerful as an oap's fart but does the job.

17.3" Ultra Slim All-in-One... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OTW8H...p_mob_ap_share

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Get a mini PC (about a 1/4 the size of a shoebox), monitor and Bluetooth mouse and keyboard?

A very clean desktop and should last longer and perform better than a laptop at that price point.
    And they are easier to upgrade.. I'm still using a mini-itx I build in 2011. Or at least the case. The motherboard, CPU, RAM, storage, monitor, keyboard ... have all been changed over time. (None of the parts failed. Most were moved to other systems, e.g., media box. Sort of a trickle down approach to computing. :) )

Best wishes,
    Bob

Laptop

Andy
    I was in John Lewis Solihul yesterday - they’ve got some real bargains in the “yellow sticker” display boxes where they’ve changed their mind or just returned
    Still have a full warranty and good prices for what you need
    Pop over and have a gander there

Craftsman
    Most laptops in the 500 quid category will be ok from a spec point of view but the cost savings is made in thr build quality. Expect cracked hinges and dodgy keyboards within 2 years if you move it about much.

Good quality laptops, windows or Mac are not so affordable. I splurged on a Dell vostro over 8 years ago and it's still going strong. Needed some extra ram but still capable and looks as new as the day it was purchased. My mums plastic acer at 400 quid lasted 2 years.

Similar with my work laptop, hp z book, well built and still running 6 years on, looking great.

Any reason it has to be a laptop? A PC is going to give you better performance, value, longevity, and potential to upgrade which laptops have very little of.

Windows 7 is also reaching the end of its support soon. Much as I prefer it too, if its going to be used for anything business related I would get it on Windows 10.

Master
    If it is going on a retail counter, then make sure any laptop is bolted securely to the counter top. They are very easy to steal (been there, seen that).

Pete

Use a Kensington lock to secure it, all laptops have a specific connector usually for this type of lock

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kensington-...17646607&psc=1