closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any ideas how to repair?

Master

Any ideas how to repair?

When the strap failed and the watch hit the hard floor the impact dislodged a piece applied trim.

I am wandering if there is a specific way of fixing it back on? If I used any form of glue I know I will end up with it smeared over the dial. Is there a specific method of attaching trim to dials?

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Craftsman
    I would assume that a TINY amount of cyano super glue would do the trick, but be careful to make sure that all of the fumes have evaporated before you recase it otherwise it will cloud the crystal.

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

Oh this is easy. Have it seen to by someone proficient in dial repairing.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Yes from new these are glued on. Have to be reapplied with a tiny needle tip or old oiler. Check alignment and fit first then put the small amount of glue on and let it set. As above leave it long enough for the fumes to evaporate.

Personally I would remove the hands and the dial from the watch then hold the dial in a movement holder. This way nothing else will be in the way when gluing it up.

Grand Master
    Unless the OP has experience of working on such a small scale this will invariably end badly if he attempts the job himself. As the last poster has stated, the hands need to be off, the dial needs to be firmly clamped, and the amount of adhesive applied needs to be tiny, just enough to create a strong bond but not to ooze out at the edges. Whoever does this job has to get it right first time, there’s scope for making a real mess of the dial with glue if it goes wrong.

I’ve refitted date window surrounds before, that’s tricky enough, but this looks harder. If there were pins retaining the trim it would be a lot easier, adhesive could be applied at the back of the pins, but if it’s glued directly to the dial with no pins its a tricky job.

Master
    would it looks so bad without it?

Craftsman
    That's actually a very good point.

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

Master
    Thank you all for your replies. I am now fairly confident with stripping down a watch but I have a sneaking suspicion that the applying the trim is a little bit beyond me. I have a straight eye but probably not to the level of accuracy that is needed to get it right first time. I had hoped that there was some sort of mechanical attachment but unfortunately there wasn't, nor are there any pins to help guide me. However, lying awake last night mulling it over, the idea of creating some sort of jig sprung to mind so I will look into that although not being blessed with a workshop my options are a little limited. Otherwise it will stay in the box until I can follow Magirus' advice and find someone proficient.

I have tried the watch without and it sort of looks a little naked, but perhaps that is me being used to it with the trim. I'll try to get around to posting a photo to see what you all think.