closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: salvage hunters

Master

salvage hunters

just noticed Drew Pritchard wears a Steel oyster perpetual, white dial, jubilee bracelet...at least i think that's what i saw. Is he a WIS ?

Blog Entries
    He had a tag Heuer Monaco Steve McQueen in the early series

Master
    He wears a range if watches , tend to be Rolex, yup WIS or Rolex fanboy, one of the two

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    just noticed Drew Pritchard wears a Steel oyster perpetual, white dial, jubilee bracelet.
    ...And a FitBit on the opposite wrist. Odd combination, I thought.

Master
    just noticed Drew Pritchard wears a Steel oyster perpetual, white dial, jubilee bracelet...at least i think that's what i saw. Is he a WIS ?

I love watch spotting on telly too, but I'm curious why a steel Rolex Oyster (fairly common "entry level" sort of Rolex) would qualify him as a WIS? I'd have thought the opposite from a watch like that, it's nothing remarkable.
    Top Gear used to be brilliant for watch spotting, James May does appear to be a vintage Omega man with some interesting wrist-candy.

Master
    Ha! if an'entry level rolex' isn't still a very nice watch and way beyond what non enthusiasts would dream of paying for, then no...i guess it doesn't qualify him.

yes i noticed the fitbit and thought it was odd too

Master
    ^^^^^^

That made me laugh, a Rolex is the go to brand for non enthusiasts.

Watch nuts, may also have a Rolex amongst others, there, in my mind, lies the difference

Master
    it has popularity...notoriety.... but casio are more popular. Its grades, or greys isn't it. I also think (making a leap her, but ...) that based on how Drew comes across, clearly an expert and appreciative of many forms of fine workmanship, that he could well apply that to his watches.

Pretty sure he also wears a Daytona in some episodes.
    Mike Brewer of Wheeler Deelers is also another Rolex wearer, but I doubt he even knows it's not quartz.

Craftsman
    Paddy Mcguiness always wears his steel Daytona , see it when he is on Celebrity Juice

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    it has popularity...notoriety.... but casio are more popular. Its grades, or greys isn't it. I also think (making a leap her, but ...) that based on how Drew comes across, clearly an expert and appreciative of many forms of fine workmanship, that he could well apply that to his watches.
    Are they more popular? Or do they simply sell more units?

Master
    If I was stranded on desert island surrounded by hungry sharks with Drew Pritchard, I think that I'd very quickly decide that the sharks would be more fun....

I was intrigued once with the Classic Cars derivative of Salvage Hunters. His colleague Paul somebody wears a variety of flash looking but probably not very classy watches, and noticed that he somehow seemed to swap watches in the middle of a conversation in a Van with Pritchard. Obviously the conversation they appeared to be having was stitched together from at least two conversations on different days -such is 'reality' TV!

Journeyman
    Hi, I'm a long time lurker and have been meaning to join the forum for a while. When I saw the thread on Salvage Hunters and Wheeler Dealers, I thought now's as good a time as any.
    Mike Brewer is a pretty smart bloke and, while not the world's biggest watch expert, knows a bit about them and is an enthusiast. He has some quite nice ones, including a Daytona that he will know is an automatic. Either that or he thinks he's got a magic battery that doesn't need changing for decades at a stretch.
    Drew Pritchard is also a pretty smart bloke and knows quite a lot about watches. He's got some nice ones including an SD 1660 and a bi-metal 36mm datejust that was a family heirloom. He always says it's one of two things that he'd never sell (the other is some stained glass that his first ever boss gave him). It's also worth saying that he's good bloke who'll talk to anyone for hours about antiques, cars or watches, with a passion and enthusiasm that's catching.
    His colleague Paul Cowland I don't think does have any particularly interesting watches, or indeed any real interest in watches. I think he wears a Citizen. I don't think he's trying to be flash or classy. He just wants to know what the time is.
    I'm interested to hear about the watch swapping in a Salvage Hunters Classic Cars show - do you happen to remember which episode that was?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by djman View Post
    I'm interested to hear about the watch swapping in a Salvage Hunters Classic Cars show - do you happen to remember which episode that was?
    Hmmm! Tricky! If I recall there have been only 2 seasons of 3 programmes each. I'm pretty sure it was in the more recent three. I'm wondering if it was the programme that featured the Renault 4 as I would have been paying more attention to that, but I'm really not sure. I recall that they got into a Transit van and set out for a longish journey and had one of their deep meaningful conversations...... apparently!!!

Master

Hi, I'm a long time lurker and have been meaning to join the forum for a while. When I saw the thread on Salvage Hunters and Wheeler Dealers, I thought now's as good a time as any.
    Mike Brewer is a pretty smart bloke and, while not the world's biggest watch expert, knows a bit about them and is an enthusiast. He has some quite nice ones, including a Daytona that he will know is an automatic. Either that or he thinks he's got a magic battery that doesn't need changing for decades at a stretch.
    Drew Pritchard is also a pretty smart bloke and knows quite a lot about watches. He's got some nice ones including an SD 1660 and a bi-metal 36mm datejust that was a family heirloom. He always says it's one of two things that he'd never sell (the other is some stained glass that his first ever boss gave him). It's also worth saying that he's good bloke who'll talk to anyone for hours about antiques, cars or watches, with a passion and enthusiasm that's catching.
    His colleague Paul Cowland I don't think does have any particularly interesting watches, or indeed any real interest in watches. I think he wears a Citizen. I don't think he's trying to be flash or classy. He just wants to know what the time is.
    Watch enthusiast TV producer?

Journeyman
    We ran three pilot shows last year and the first five of the new season have recently gone out (another 15 to go of that particular show over this year and next).

When you talk about continuity issues on reshoots it's normally about what clothes they need to be wearing ... never thought to check what watch they had on ... schoolboy error! I have to say it's not often that we reshoot things on that show, it's all fairly linear and organic.

I'd like to introduce myself properly so I'll get some pics of my very modest collection up as soon as I can work out how to.

Master
    We ran three pilot shows last year and the first five of the new season have recently gone out (another 15 to go of that particular show over this year and next).

When you talk about continuity issues on reshoots it's normally about what clothes they need to be wearing ... never thought to check what watch they had on ... schoolboy error! I have to say it's not often that we reshoot things on that show, it's all fairly linear and organic.
    Well of course, I'd never notice any changes in clothing, but notice immediately what watches people are wearing! Its surprising what continuity errors or reshoots you can spot - and it appears that most (non-WIS) TV people are entirely oblivious to them!

I'd like to introduce myself properly so I'll get some pics of my very modest collection up as soon as I can work out how to.
    Nobody in the real world would realise that watch continuity was weak..........
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I really enjoy Salvage Hunters, just thought I would mention it.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Ha! if an'entry level rolex' isn't still a very nice watch and way beyond what non enthusiasts would dream of paying for, then no...i guess it doesn't qualify him.
    Ok, breathe... I was just pointing out that wearing a common Rolex wouldn't make him a WIS anymore than driving a Mercedes would make you part of their F1 team - it's a brand people aspire to, amongst watch collectors, sure, but probably more so with people with dosh and no clue what they are buying other than a fancy name.

*not suggesting that's the case with Drew Pritchard, I like Salvage Hunters and he seems an ok chap*.

I presume you know what WIS stands for? Watch Idiot Savant. People (like some of us on the forum) who can rhyme off serial numbers and model references the way most "normals" know the alphabet. In my experience WIS's (I hate the term WIS by the way) tend to steer away from the run of the mill stuff, which is why I didn't see any remote relation to DP being a watch fanatic because you saw on telly he has a Rolex.

Master
    don't worry I'm breathing. (although as a Spurs fan I'm struggling right now)
    Yes I know the acronym. I admit I probably should have just used 'enthusiast' altough given Drew's deep knowledge in many fields of antiques it was not much of a leap (imv) to think Drew might be a WIS.

great programmes djman

Journeyman
    Thanks for the votes of confidence for Salvage Hunters. You don't get many series that work - and therefore run - for as long as that one has (I think more than eleven years now). There's a large and very dedicated team working all hours on it so good to know some people are enjoying it.

If you like SH and you've seen the Classic Cars spin off (Drew knows perhaps more about VW and Porsche than he does about antiques) you might like The Restorers - he features in it although its main focus is the craftsmen who repair his antiques using artisan techniques. We started it last year because SH viewers wanted more restoration in the main show.

I don't want this to turn into an advert for Discovery Channel, but talking about TV presenters with impressive watch collections, we've just started making a brand new engineering series with Richard Hammond ... I don't think I've seen him wear the same watch twice yet.

I was joking about the watch continuity - I don't suppose many people would notice different watches flashed fleetingly on screen. It just made me laugh as that's the one continuity error I should have spotted immediately, obsessed as I am.

Great forum, this, by the way, I'm looking forward to joining in the watch conversations you have here. I've just got to work out how to post pictures ...

Re: I've just got to work out how to post pictures ...

Given your profession, it should be a piece of cake.
    There is a sticky explaining how to post pictures.

Master
    i ought to start another thread but I can't... not for Ian Wright. Great bit of Trolling from Jenas this! anyway the watch....Deep Sea?