closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fair market value or profiteering?

Master

Fair market value or profiteering?

SO I have seen many posts about people getting their knickers in a twist when someone sells their watch for more than they paid, sells their Rolex for 50% over list etc etc.
    I have recently picked up a few bargains online at way under market value, so would I be expected to sell at way under market value (I'm not selling by the way) or would I be expected to sell at fair market price.
    I am on a waiting list for a BLNR and if and when it finally arrives I will be keeping it, but some of my recent purchases have been at a good price, due to the sheer number of hours I have spent shopping around, why should another member benefit from my hard work or that or another member?
    Would you sell your Ferrari 250 GTO for £50,000 as that's what you paid for it in 1978? Just wondered

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    SO I have seen many posts about people getting their knickers in a twist when someone sells their watch for more than they paid, sells their Rolex for 50% over list etc etc.
    I have recently picked up a few bargains online at way under market value, so would I be expected to sell at way under market value (I'm not selling by the way) or would I be expected to sell at fair market price.
    I am on a waiting list for a BLNR and if and when it finally arrives I will be keeping it, but some of my recent purchases have been at a good price, due to the sheer number of hours I have spent shopping around, why should another member benefit from my hard work or that or another member?
    Would you sell your Ferrari 250 GTO for £50,000 as that's what you paid for it in 1978? Just wondered

If you bought from a forum member on Sales Corner, and then re-listed it at a higher price, then I can understand people getting upset. If you abuse the goodwill of a member for personal profit, then that's against the spirit of things. Other than that, I'd say it's up to you what you sell for.

Master
    Blog Entries
    In all honesty selling on here I would sell at market value

Master
    ... due to the sheer number of hours I have spent shopping around, why should another member benefit from my hard work or that or another member?
    I spend hours shopping about as well - does that mean I qualify to sell for more than I've paid too? (I'm not talking about stuff through the shop, my own watches).
    I don't see the shopping around as a chore though, I love watch collecting and the hunt is a big part of that. I must be alone there.

When I pick something up cheap and it comes time to shift it I generally list it on here cheap, or if i want a profit then it goes on eBay. I thought that's what most members did.

No one can decide what you sell a watch for apart from you. Seems mate's rates and "passing along a deal" died in about 2015 for most of the forum so list as high as you want.
    Last edited by kevkojak; 16th April 2019 at 19:09.

Master
    Blog Entries
    how about buying from a tz’er and then selling to a grey dealer mate?

Example;

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ighlight=16710

Master
    So, if you buy off here then two years later (for example) you resell on this forum how are you supposed to calculate what is a fair price to move the item on? Price may have altered drastically to reflect market value.
    I will always try to negotiate a lower price for anything I would like to buy. I have no problem being negotiated with, you offer me I counter offer.

I don't see why people find this subject so difficult.
    Did you buy a watch at some point at market value? Then feel free to sell it today for its current market value.
    Did you get a nice watch from the forum at a bargain price? Then it's good form to pass it on again at a bargain price.
    Did you buy a sports Rolex for RRP? Then you have 2 options: a) sell it to a dealer in a hassle-free easy deal, or b) advertise it on Sales Corner while pretending to be doing the forum a favour by offering it at what Watchfinder have apparently offered you then act surprised when real enthusiasts on a watch forum who can't get hold of a sports Rolex at RRP despite being on an AD's "list" for the past 3 years get all pissy on your sales thread.
    Last edited by Lampoc; 16th April 2019 at 18:56. Reason: speeling.

Craftsman
    Nothing wrong with selling at market value. At a minimum I would sell at trade price, anything less doesn’t make sense

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Do what you want, nobody cares.

Master
    If it's legal, do whatever you like. The worst that can happen is your reputation goes to s**t and people may not want to deal with you in future. No-one dies.

The Ferrari analogy is rather limp, to be honest. Not sure what you are trying to say.
    Last edited by David_D; 16th April 2019 at 20:16.

It really isn’t difficult, don’t take the p*ss!

If you bought a Ferrari (or sports Rolex) in 1987, no-one would expect you to sell it for what you paid but if you bought a watch last week/month and want to sell it for a profit then just declare it and pay the fundraiser.

Try to make a stealthy quick profit and you’ll be found out and ripped to pieces.

We are still supposed to be a friendly forum of like minded enthusiasts so treat members like you’d treat your mates. If you’d expect your mate to pay for your hunt for the watch you no longer want then crack on!

Master
    Poor you.
    Doing all the hard work and not being able to skin the forum for a few quid.
    So unfair.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You want to sell in SC for a profit? Then declare yourself a 'dealer' and pay your share to the forum fundraiser. It's not rocket science, it's what your host site requests? Simples

It's his watch, he can do what he wants with it. Market dictates the price. Nobody's business but the buyer and seller's. Etc.

Why is this on the G&D?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Poor you.
    Doing all the hard work and not being able to skin the forum for a few quid.
    So unfair.
    Apologies to those of you who can't read, I have no intention of selling my watches, this is why I have more watches than items of clothing. I was just trying to understand the mindset.

Apologies to those of you who can't read, I have no intention of selling my watches, this is why I have more watches than items of clothing. I was just trying to understand the mindset.
    You ask about selling watches, question why others should benefit from your astute purchasing (which they could only do if you sold the watches) and then accuse those who think you’re intending to sell said watches of being illiterate?

Priceless!

If we're going to demand that Rolex be sold for RRP can I demand RRP in SC on one of my Omegas? I could do without the depreciation!

Market value is fair. I don't expect a discount just for holding a free account here. I do take issue sometimes with the valuations of certain watches when some people think because Watchfinder will sell it for X they should achieve the same. Not the case.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You ask about selling watches, question why others should benefit from your astute purchasing (which they could only do if you sold the watches) and then accuse those who think you’re intending to sell said watches of being illiterate?

Priceless!
    Seems you are unable to read the bit that says

"I AM NOT SELLING BY THE WAY "
    So yes I stick by my comment.

I was using myself as an example of someone who shops around.
    Go and check SC and see how many watches from my 300 plus collection thar I have sold in the years I have been a member.

Master
    why should another member benefit from my hard work or that or another member?
    You covered your answers during exams didn't you.

Master
    Mid price of dealer is fair, half way between what you can sell the watch to a dealer for and the asking price from dealer, both private parties benefit

It really isn’t difficult, don’t take the p*ss!

If you bought a Ferrari (or sports Rolex) in 1987, no-one would expect you to sell it for what you paid but if you bought a watch last week/month and want to sell it for a profit then just declare it and pay the fundraiser.
    Exactly this. I do wonder why so many people seem to struggle with the concept.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    You want to sell in SC for a profit? Then declare yourself a 'dealer' and pay your share to the forum fundraiser. It's not rocket science, it's what your host site requests? Simples
    Exactly what I was going to say, remember it’s a free service that only asks a percentage of money from a dealer sale goes to the fundraiser, that’s all the forum owner asks..

The amount of people that avoid this rule or should I say side step is simply wrong, why Eddie doesn’t clamp down harder on known sales/trades I don’t no, a few bans or restrictions to SC would stop a lot of the madness.

I have said it before, if dealers had a separate section to list and a pre paid fee per watch/month/year subscription was paid then it would bring more watches to the forum and more money to the FR. At the moment being a dealer on here is underground, that maybe what Eddie wants, but in my time here it has grown past that size membership where lots of background deals are done. Make it more accessible to dealers and not such a taboo and I’m sure everyone will benefit.

I suppose it depends how you do it. If you're constantly hoovering items up from Sales Corner and immediately turning them aound for profit then you're likely to get a kicking. If you buy a Rolex, keep it for a couple of years and the price increases, then I think it's fair to sell it for market value.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    ^^^^Ahhh so a sort of common sense approach then??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I don't see why people find this subject so difficult.
    Did you buy a watch at some point at market value? Then feel free to sell it today for its current market value.
    Did you get a nice watch from the forum at a bargain price? Then it's good form to pass it on again at a bargain price.
    Did you buy a sports Rolex for RRP? Then you have 2 options: a) sell it to a dealer in a hassle-free easy deal, or b) advertise it on Sales Corner while pretending to be doing the forum a favour by offering it at what Watchfinder have apparently offered you then act surprised when real enthusiasts on a watch forum who can't get hold of a sports Rolex at RRP despite being on an AD's "list" for the past 3 years get all pissy on your sales thread.
    I think selling on the forum with the quoted price that watchfinder has offered for example is a pretty good benchmark. If someone wants to sell watch A. Watchfinder offers 5K for it. And you list it here for 5K, the people on the forum is still getting a fantastic price because watchfinder will ofcourse NOT sell that watch for 5K, it will add its margins and so if a buyer wanted to actually buy that watch, it would cost 6.5, 7K for them. So 5K you're saving money AND also the seller is not leaving too much cash at current market value on the table, not enough at least for a potential flipper to buy the watch which is priced below market value and flip it to watchfinder.

Craftsman
    I agree with many here, and have been in a similar situation recently.

I offered for sale a GMT BLNR, the potential buyer turned down the offer, and when pushed, politely cited the reason that similar watches had been offered on the forum at a much lower price. Maybe the price was a little high, maybe it wasn't, but if everyone was honest, I would be more inclined to sell it in SC (if I was actually allowed) at a 'forum' price, on the understanding that the watch stayed within the forum and wasn't used to make a profit. But that wouldn't happen, we live in a capitalist society, so the rules of supply and demand apply, so if you want something in scarce supply, of course it's going to be more expensive.

It's not profiteering, it's selling a valuable asset at the going rate, sometimes you're lucky and make a good return, sometimes you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I think selling on the forum with the quoted price that watchfinder has offered for example is a pretty good benchmark. If someone wants to sell watch A. Watchfinder offers 5K for it. And you list it here for 5K, the people on the forum is still getting a fantastic price because watchfinder will ofcourse NOT sell that watch for 5K, it will add its margins and so if a buyer wanted to actually buy that watch, it would cost 6.5, 7K for them. So 5K you're saving money AND also the seller is not leaving too much cash at current market value on the table, not enough at least for a potential flipper to buy the watch which is priced below market value and flip it to watchfinder.
    That makes you sound like the exact kind of person I was taking the mickey out of in my previous post, i.e. someone who has tried to sell a watch over RRP on Sales Corner for what Watchfinder has offered you.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    It's his watch, he can do what he wants with it. Market dictates the price. Nobody's business but the buyer and seller's. Etc.
    This 100%
    And good luck to both seller & the buyer.
    And unless you're one of the above best keep out of it.

That makes you sound like the exact kind of person I was taking the mickey out of in my previous post, i.e. someone who has tried to sell a watch over RRP on Sales Corner for what Watchfinder has offered you.
    If you have a genuine quote from watchfinder for £5k are you honestly suggesting it should be sold for less on the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    This 100%
    And good luck to both seller & the buyer.
    And unless you're one of the above best keep out of it.
    I think the poster of post #24 may wish to disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If you have a genuine quote from watchfinder for £5k are you honestly suggesting it should be sold for less on the forum?
    Not at all. My thoughts are all in post #7.

Sorry, misunderstood.

Journeyman
    I don’t understand what the issue is really. The seller sets the price if it’s too high then don’t buy it, simple supply and demand same as the sale of anything.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Simple reality - Mr A wants to sell a watch and Mr B wants to buy it. Neither of them gives a damn about its history or who owned it before. Therefore they do a deal and that makes them happy. The forum police moan their socks off, so they are happy and Eddie just lets it all happen, so he is happy.

Seems the perfect system to me, so long may it all continue.

Master
    Look at the market price of the Dreadnought and how that has fluctuated, watch out for the hypocrites.

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    Look at the market price of the Dreadnought and how that has fluctuated, watch out for the hypocrites.
    I don't see where the hypocrisy is?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Simple reality - Mr A wants to sell a watch and Mr B wants to buy it. Neither of them gives a damn about its history or who owned it before. Therefore they do a deal and that makes them happy. The forum police moan their socks off, so they are happy and Eddie just lets it all happen, so he is happy.

Seems the perfect system to me, so long may it all continue.
    This!! Perfect

He shoots, he scores.

You may just as well have closed the thread after the above quoted comment was posted as any other opinion is irrelevant .....

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    He shoots, he scores.

You may just as well have closed the thread after the above quoted comment was posted as any other opinion is irrelevant .....
    He shoots; he misses!

Perhaps you failed to spot the ONLY post on this thread that actually carries any weight?

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I suppose it depends how you do it. If you're constantly hoovering items up from Sales Corner and immediately turning them aound for profit then you're likely to get a kicking. If you buy a Rolex, keep it for a couple of years and the price increases, then I think it's fair to sell it for market value.

Eddie

The best thing about these threads is that they tell me who to avoid the next time I pass on a bargain.

Master
    The best thing about these threads is that they tell me who to avoid the next time I pass on a bargain.
    Well that will scare the pants off them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Well that will scare the pants off them.
    If you've not bored the pants off them first.

Master
    If you've not bored the pants off them first.
    How terribly witty.

The point I am making is that you are not known for selling bargains, so no one is glued to their PC waiting for you to advertise, so your comment will have no effect at all.

Also let's get real, if someone did advertise a bargain, it would be gone within minutes.

We are still supposed to be a friendly forum of like minded enthusiasts so treat members like you’d treat your mates. If you’d expect your mate to pay for your hunt for the watch you no longer want then crack on!

Perhaps you failed to spot the ONLY post on this thread that actually carries any weight?

Aren't you contradicting yourself here? I read Eddie as saying that market value is a fair price, yet you seem to be saying that market value is not a fair price? Market value is fair for a long-term watch which is not being flipped for a quick profit, and it seems reasonable to me to use market benchmarks such as Watchfinder to gauge market price.

Fair market value or profiteering?

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Aren't you contradicting yourself here? I read Eddie as saying that market value is a fair price, yet you seem to be saying that market value is not a fair price? Market value is fair for a long-term watch which is not being flipped for a quick profit, and it seems reasonable to me to use market benchmarks such as Watchfinder to gauge market price.
    Not at all; my views aren’t important, it’s what the boss says that matters regardless of what I may think.

Edit: but I do agree that market value is fair for a long term watch and WF’s buy in prices are as good a benchmark as any. Their selling prices (which seems to be quoted more often these days) most certainly isn’t.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 18th April 2019 at 19:35.

Blog Entries
    In the good old days - market value did not come into the equation for SC prices - now SC is seen as just another Ebay / Paypal without the fees, it has become relevant. Perhaps it's time SC was shut down. It won't have been the first time. This will get rid of this mind-numbing debate.

Martyn

Master
    Huh? Sorry I dont understand. if WF has offered 5K, why is that profiteering? its selling for BELOW market value still? I think is a fair price as that exact watch will be OVER 5K when WF take hold of it and sell it themselves.

Master
    I think selling on the forum with the quoted price that watchfinder has offered for example is a pretty good benchmark.
    And at the end of the day...

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I think it's fair to sell it for market value.

Eddie

Pricing any Rolex - new or old - is difficult because the global market moves pretty fast for them. So it is only reasonable to check where constant liquidity for the watch is: ie, a WF buyer.

Trying to create a consistent [lower] market price on TZ is too subjective to individual’s opinion.

It works both ways for both popular/hot watches and those unusual and less popular. TZ is an easier place to sell slightly unusual pieces which appeal to collectors that the open market may find hard to price or have low demand for / price very low/not at all.

And TZ seems to be a place where you could once offer ‘mates rates’ but sadly there is never the assurance that it comes back your way as too many nice pieces end up off-forum. So the sentiment is nice, but understandable if a person decides to sell at more regular pricing.

At some point, the free market always wins. Keynesian economics and market price of supply and demand should always prevail.

Huh? Sorry I dont understand. if WF has offered 5K, why is that profiteering? its selling for BELOW market value still? I think is a fair price as that exact watch will be OVER 5K when WF take hold of it and sell it themselves.
    I don't think you've understood my post:
    Nowhere have I called it "profiteering" (although if you're buying a brand new watch at RRP with the sole intention to sell on for a profit that obviously is profiteering). It's a rather jokey post aimed at those who can't understand why others may take offence at their above RRP sales.