timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Datejust 41 as a "one watch to rule them all"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Rhodium is my favourite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This is rather nice. Smooth bezel much nicer. Would look even better without a cyclops and if they made a dial with a round date window at the 6 position. Symmetry is everything with a watch dial.

Master
    Well yes, Tiny, but then it wouldn’t be a Datejust.

Master
    That's true!
    Last edited by Tiny; 17th April 2019 at 12:07.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think they're fine for a one watch. Loads of comments about size but they wear smaller than the 40mm subs/gmts etc so I don't really know what thats all about.

I’d agree this is probably a near to perfect all rounder watch.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I think they're fine for a one watch. Loads of comments about size but they wear smaller than the 40mm subs/gmts etc so I don't really know what thats all about.
    The thick sports bezels on subs and gmts seem to reduce the size down to a wearable size. The bezel on the DJ41 (smooth or fluted) seems to do the exact opposite. I regularly wear a GMT2c but when I tried the DJ41 on it was too big. Just my opinion but it is based on having spent time wearing both watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    That's true!
    Just realised that for symmetry, the Explorer 1 ticks all the boxes for me. Having a date on a watch isn't my priority. My apologies for the thread drift. I'll bail out now!
    Last edited by Tiny; 17th April 2019 at 12:16.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    The thick sports bezels on subs and gmts seem to reduce the size down to a wearable size. The bezel on the DJ41 (smooth or fluted) seems to do the exact opposite. I regularly wear a GMT2c but when I tried the DJ41 on it was too big. Just my opinion but it is based on having spent time wearing both watches.
    Mine is based on switching between a dj41 and a 6 digit sub.
    I wonder if the difference could be that the gmt2c's lugs are more streamlined so make the whole thing less blocky?

Dunno, either way I find it more disconcerting to switch between sports and a 36mm dj but folks mileage will vary on these sort of subjects.

Master
    There’s not much use worrying about the size as it will suit some people perfectly while others will prefer the classic 36mm. In the photo posted a little earlier on this thread it looks spot on. When I tried it, less so, and I’d be better off with the 36.

But the proportions are another matter. The 41 keeps things closer to the original than the DJII, but other upsized Rolex sports can lose some of the charm in the process. At the risk of bringing up GS in a Rolex thread, I notice that GS managed to offer a 40mm version of their 37mm 9F (the SBGV223), and it looks more or less identical. In photos you’d be hard pressed to know it was a different watch (and it’s also amazingly wearable in a slim wrist, due to the curved lugs). It’s a pity Rolex can’t seem to manage the same trick. Though as mentioned, this isn’t particularly directed at the DJ41, which manages it better than most, but even then I think the vintage design pretty much nailed the proportions and a slightly larger version should have been possible without losing that.

Master

Datejust 41 as a "one watch to rule them all"

I agree that the 40mm quartz GS is a lovely watch. But it’s part of the classic range which has stuck reasonably faithfully to the sixties design. Rolex are less ‘purist’, but the market seems to like that.
    I still think the 37mm quartz GS is pretty close to a perfect design. Sadly, my lady grabbed mine. Anyway, back to the Datejust....which is also one of the ‘greats’ to my taste. But here’s the 37mm GS as a contrast.
    and DJ. I do like the cleaner dial of the GS, the absence of too much writing. Ideally, I’d like the DJ with just the Rolex symbol. Fat chance.
    Last edited by paskinner; 17th April 2019 at 12:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Just realised that for symmetry, the Explorer 1 ticks all the boxes for me. Having a date on a watch isn't my priority. My apologies for the thread drift. I'll bail out now!
    (Worth also considering the OP39 I'd have thought.)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I would if they dropped the stupid dots...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Datejust...such simplicity, yet it is so perfect

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koristeći Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Love my DJ41, real Martini watch.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer regarding size etc. The great thing about the DJ is it’s available in different sizes, dial colours, bezel, bracelet styles, it caters to many tastes and preferences, so you can choose the one that is right for you...

Here’s mine...

For the avoidance of doubt, it’s a dj41, the rest is self explanatory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    My watch tastes and collection over the last 12 years has been extremely varied, I ordered. DJ last week which will be my every day go to watch.

It was a refreshing experience knowing I could chose any one watch I wanted and get it on my wrist within a few months

Let’s be honest the DJ is the bread and butter watch for Rolex, given most AD,s only receive a few sports models of each type per year

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    My watch tastes and collection over the last 12 years has been extremely varied, I ordered. DJ last week which will be my every day go to watch.

It was a refreshing experience knowing I could chose any one watch I wanted and get it on my wrist within a few months

Let’s be honest the DJ is the bread and butter watch for Rolex, given most AD,s only receive a few sports models of each type per year

Thats what they tell you... I worked at an AD that got 6-7 116500LNs every other month. Even more of the others of course. It all varies. But theyre not sold to JCLs or Joe Public, at the moment. That all can change.

Ryanb is just trolling about the quality btw. Jaegers are horribly unreliable and GS make some nice dials etc but just look at the pictures above or go try one, lightyears behind Rolex in reliability and servicability, everyone whos been into watches for more than a second knows this tbh.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Ryanb is just trolling about the quality btw. Jaegers are horribly unreliable and GS make some nice dials etc but just look at the pictures above or go try one, lightyears behind Rolex in reliability and servicability, everyone whos been into watches for more than a second knows this tbh.
    There’s quite a few Richemont watches that I’d like to own. Love the JLC MUT Moonphase, the latest Santos and I keep eyeing up a Spitfire.

It’s the same routine every time. I latch onto a model, shop around for prices and then I log onto WUS to get owners feedback. Without fail, there will be some new Richemont horror story at the very top. Sometimes a minor issue, other times more serious, but they’ll all have the common thread of Richemont servicing making a complete balls of it, usually while blaming the customer.

And then I go back to looking at Rolexs.

Ignore 744ER he's just a fanboy moron who when pressed will come up with the 'I'm a watchmaker so I know' retort. Loves to p*ss all over every post I put up perhaps out of jealousy or by means of compensating for a less than fulfilling life. Dont know, dont care. If you think Rolex is the absolute apex then good for you. I like Rolexes and own a few. I also know the truth. If you think Rolex is at a level above JLC then up to you. Most actual watchmakers would argue otherwise. Vive la difference. Good night to you.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    Don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer regarding size etc. The great thing about the DJ is it’s available in different sizes, dial colours, bezel, bracelet styles, it caters to many tastes and preferences, so you can choose the one that is right for you...

Here’s mine...

For the avoidance of doubt, it’s a dj41, the rest is self explanatory

That’s the combination I’ll be choosing, cracking watch

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Ignore 744ER he's just a fanboy moron who when pressed will come up with the 'I'm a watchmaker so I know' retort. Loves to p*ss all over every post I put up perhaps out of jealousy or by means of compensating for a less than fulfilling life. Dont know, dont care. If you think Rolex is the absolute apex then good for you. I like Rolexes and own a few. I also know the truth. If you think Rolex is at a level above JLC then up to you. Most actual watchmakers would argue otherwise. Vive la difference. Good night to you.

It’s an interesting debate. The DJ makes more sense to me. I can’t see me parting with a similar amount of money on a Seiko GS, the residuals are horrendous. I agree JLC make fabulous watches I’m a big fan, but they are now moving towards the dressy / delicate wrist watch theme with hardly any water resistance.

I feel privileged to have such choices.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    I would if they dropped the stupid dots...
    If you mean the coloured minute markers, they already have - take a look at the classic and clean black and white dial versions. The only issue is that they need a reasonably large wrist and I’ve seen many a wrist shot where it looked a touch oversized.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    If you mean the coloured minute markers, they already have - take a look at the classic and clean black and white dial versions. The only issue is that they need a reasonably large wrist and I’ve seen many a wrist shot where it looked a touch oversized.
    Both black and white have negative dots on the dial.

Master
    Both black and white have negative dots on the dial.
    We’ll have to agree to disagree then, each to his own. I wasn’t a big fan of the coloured dots on the old models, particularly putting clashing green five minute markers on a blue dial, but for me the black and white dial OP39s completely nail it and are the best release in years. In fact they might just be my favourite Rolex from the whole collection - assuming you have a wrist large enough for them to sit right and not look oversized and shouty, which sadly I don’t.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I wasn’t a big fan of the coloured dots on the old models, particularly putting clashing green five minute markers on a blue dial, but for me the black and white dial OP39s completely nail it and are the best release in years. In fact they might just be my favourite Rolex from the whole collection
    Agree. I don't generally think outside the sports-watch box myself, but I think the black/white OP39s are just outstanding and I'm always a bit surprised they don't get more of a mention on here, though that's probably because many others share the sports-bias. Or perhaps the OPs suffer from being thought of as an 'entry-level watch' (to me it's simply a bonus if a watch I happen to like is cheaper than one I don't...).

And we're not alone:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...nd-black-dials

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-o...ual-39-114300/

https://timeandtidewatches.com/hands...e-black-dials/

Must agree the OP39 is a phenomenal amount of watch for the money, would be ideal as a 'one watch' if you don't mind lack of date. I think it will be my next watch. Personally I prefer the Rhodium dial but the white dial is very nice as well. I'd go for an Explorer over the black dial but that's just a personal preference.
    Agree. I don't generally think outside the sports-watch box myself, but I think the black/white OP39s are just outstanding and I'm always a bit surprised they don't get more of a mention on here, though that's probably because many others share the sports-bias. Or perhaps the OPs suffer from being thought of as an 'entry-level watch' (to me it's simply a bonus if a watch I happen to like is cheaper than one I don't...).

And we're not alone:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...nd-black-dials

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-o...ual-39-114300/

Master
    Must agree the OP39 is a phenomenal amount of watch for the money, would be ideal as a 'one watch' if you don't mind lack of date. I think it will be my next watch. Personally I prefer the Rhodium dial but the white dial is very nice as well. I'd go for an Explorer over the black dial but that's just a personal preference.
    Yes I'd really like to see a few of them side by side. My instinct is black dial but that might just be lack of imagination (sports Rolex = black etc). I'm also worried about the legibility of any white dial (which doesn't have contrasting black hands: I have a white-dial Aerospace that mostly sits in a drawer now as the hands get lost to my ageing eyes, but the polar 16570 is perfect). But I am struck by how many of the reviewers pick the white as the gem, not least because it's an off-white; the top pic @

captures it very well. (Is the clasp adjustable?)

PS sorry if this is a tangent in a thread on the DJ. My lame justification is that I was thinking about a DJ but now prefer the OP...

I've handled the white dial and it is legible as the indices have just enough surround to make them stand out. Plus the black dots add just enough contrast to prevent the dial being sterile. The white is also a creamy effect - it's not like the Explorer 2 which can look a bit washed out at certain angles. Clasp isn't adjustable, doesn't have the easylink.
    Yes I'd really like to see a few of them side by side. My instinct is black dial but that might just be lack of imagination (sports Rolex = black etc). I'm also worried about the legibility of any white dial (which doesn't have contrasting black hands: I have a white-dial Aerospace that mostly sits in a drawer now as the hands get lost to my ageing eyes, but the polar 16570 is perfect). But I am struck by how many of the reviewers pick the white as the gem, not least because it's an off-white; the top pic @

captures it very well. (Is the clasp adjustable?)

PS sorry if this is a tangent in a thread on the DJ. My lame justification is that I was thinking about a DJ but now prefer the OP...

I have recently looked at a white OP39 and the white OP36, for me the 36 felt better proportioned. The white is an off white with a hint of silver at certain angles, which I prefer to the usual Rolex brilliant white.

Looking forward to seeing the new DJ36 with slimmer lugs which may well be my next purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post

forgive me, is there a difference between the a smooth-bezeled DJ and the OP apart from the date / cyclops?

Thanks
    ??

Anyone?

??

Anyone?

Size, 39mm vs 41mm. No easilink on OP. DJ has 70 hour PR and OP is 45 hours or so

Master
    Size, 39mm vs 41mm. No easilink on OP. DJ has 70 hour PR and OP is 45 hours or so
    DJ41 may be 39-40 depending on whom you choose to believe on the interweb. Plus PCLs on DJ 41 bracelet.

DJ41 may be 39-40 depending on whom you choose to believe on the interweb. Plus PCLs on DJ 41 bracelet.

Thanks chaps. Handset, dial, case are all the same though?

I do really like them. First new Rolex in ages that I've liked as much as the old ones.

For all be it only 1 week in. The OP36 in as near a perfect one watch as I could hope for. It’s unassuming, doesn’t scream Rolex, simple yet classy and can do shirt, T-shirt or pool no problem.

https://i.imgur.com/UPRyBz5.jpg

Master
    Thanks chaps. Handset, dial, case are all the same though?

I do really like them. First new Rolex in ages that I've liked as much as the old ones.

No theyre not the same. different type of dial, crown is different, hands are white gold as always. The 3235 is a big leap forward in movement technology. According to everyone except ryanb7172 or whatever his nick is.

I'm sure it can be the first only one watch of your onlyonewatches collection

BUBI 0_0

Journeyman
    Sure why not, it’s a great watch and works well for casual and more formal attire.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    No theyre not the same. different type of dial, crown is different, hands are white gold as always. The 3235 is a big leap forward in movement technology. According to everyone except ryanb7172 or whatever his nick is.
    Cheers for mentioning me again.

Obsessive fanboy you are.

Can't take anything you say seriously.

Keep taking the meds.