closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is it a Rolex or an Everest?

Hybrid View

Is it a Rolex or an Everest?

Tough to say. I will let M4tt analyze the lug shape from this grainy image and render his final verdict.
    Analysis of the inscriptions on case back to come at a later date.

Just kidding
    It is a D Blue for those who didn't know.
    The question is - did he 'carry' it to Augusta? And if so,how?
    Because multiple images on the last hole do not show a watch on his wrist:-)
    Hope you guys all enjoyed the final day at the Masters.

Last edited by RAJEN; 15th April 2019 at 03:39.

Woods is sponsored by Rolex. Like in F1, he slapped it on at the end to meet his commitments to Rolex, the same as the F1’s drivers do for their own sponsors.

I actually bought a Rolex Yachtmaster which was gifted to a Spanish golfer whose name I cannot remember and it had his name on the papers. They often give out watches free to a number of the players at tournaments as they sponsor the timing. Most of these watches then get sold as they just don’t want them.

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Woods is sponsored by Rolex. Like in F1, he slapped it on at the end to meet his commitments to Rolex, the same as the F1’s drivers do for their own sponsors.

I actually bought a Rolex Yachtmaster which was gifted to a Spanish golfer whose name I cannot remember and it had his name on the papers. They often give out watches free to a number of the players at tournaments as they sponsor the timing. Most of these watches then get sold as they just don’t want them.
    Probably to prominent golfers/sportsmen
    If it was Ballesteros or Olazabal or Garcia, I would be chuffed to own it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Probably to prominent golfers/sportsmen
    If it was Ballesteros or Olazabal or Garcia, I would be chuffed to own it.
    Unbelievable win for Tiger. If you’ve ever noticed most players do not wear a watch when playing, with the exception of Bubba Watson, but when the players are giving their post match media interview, they always have a watch on and generally make it really obvious to get the watch in camera range. Watch Rory next time, he discreetly scratches his nose to give the watch some air time.

I bet their watch collection are amazing.......

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Unbelievable win for Tiger. If you’ve ever noticed most players do not wear a watch when playing, with the exception of Bubba Watson, but when the players are giving their post match media interview, they always have a watch on and generally make it really obvious to get the watch in camera range. Watch Rory next time, he discreetly scratches his nose to give the watch some air time.

I bet their watch collection are amazing.......
    Phil Mickelson usually wears a manual wind Cellini while actually playing.

I reckon he’ll get Star Baker for that one
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    That made me laugh.....I would love to see Sandi Toksvig interview Tiger Woods.

Master
    :-)))))

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    <snort>

True. I think the swing and the impact of the club are not kind to watches.
    Tiger wears the D Blue most of the time when not playing

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    So once again Rolex employ someone to wear a watch after they do something cool? I don’t need grainy images to see that picture...

Sadly, this is actually something I can comment on. As a kid I spent years caddying at two rather well known Berkshire golf courses and the idea is that the variation of weight on your wrist spoils your swing. If you always wear the same Watch when playing golf, that’s fine. But variations in mass translate into a messed up swing.

At at least that’s what I was told. My experience is that golfers are ridiculously superstitious and will happily blame anything but themselves when they lose their ball ... again.

The fact is that you will not damage a watch with shock transmitted through your arm. You’ll be breaking yourself well before that happens.
    Last edited by M4tt; 15th April 2019 at 08:12.

Master
    Hitting a ball around a field with a stick seems a quite novel way of by-passing the list at the AD.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    The fact is that you will not damage a watch with shock transmitted through your arm. You’ll be breaking yourself well before that happens.
    Agreed. Which is why I was not overtly bothered wielding a pick-axe to remove an old rose bush in the garden yesterday and realising I was still wearing my Aquanaut from the concert the previous day (see post earlier).

I did however switch to the Casio soon after to haul the damn thing down to the bottom of the garden as those thorns are terribly scratchy.

Golf? What is that - some sort of car?

M

Master
    Fit for purpose

Master
    Talking of sports icons wearing Rolex... Rossi was sporting a Pepsi at the Americas GP press conference. (I did get a glimpse of the front) definitely a Pepsi..👍

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Agreed. Which is why I was not overtly bothered wielding a pick-axe to remove an old rose bush in the garden yesterday and realising I was still wearing my Aquanaut from the concert the previous day (see post earlier).

I did however switch to the Casio soon after to haul the damn thing down to the bottom of the garden as those thorns are terribly scratchy.

Golf? What is that - some sort of car?

M
    I managed to do some damage to a Patek 5980 movement by banging some stakes into the ground. (I used a mallet, not the watch!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard. View Post
    I managed to do some damage to a Patek 5980 movement by banging some stakes into the ground. (I used a mallet, not the watch!)
    Agreed
    My IWC started losing time after playing golf with it on.
    I read the manual after this and it specifically states not to wear it for impact sports.

So once again Rolex employ someone to wear a watch after they do something cool? I don’t need grainy images to see that picture...
    The marketing monster in full flow.

Sadly, this is actually something I can comment on. As a kid I spent years caddying at two rather well known Berkshire golf courses and the idea is that the variation of weight on your wrist spoils your swing. If you always wear the same Watch when playing golf, that’s fine. But variations in mass translate into a messed up swing.

At at least that’s what I was told. My experience is that golfers are ridiculously superstitious and will happily blame anything but themselves when they lose their ball ... again.

I think you will find that Tiger was doing "cool" stuff long before this. In fact wasn't he sponsored by Tag for years. Could it just be that his DSSD was a personal watch - something his bought himself or was a gift from a friend or family (maybe his late father?).

As for the rest of your post. Nonsense. I very much doubt these guys swinging at 120+ mph, a watch wouldn't make any difference to their swing. It didn't seem effect golfers like Phil Michelson, who often switched between wearing an watch one round, and not the next round. As for superstition maybe, however that's as stretch, given that most pros switch clubs, putters, even ball types, etc, etc, at the drop of a hat.

However the best reasons I have heard for people not wearing a watch is

a) because it would leave tan lines,
    b)) a watch (especially worn tight) can get a bit hot and sweaty
    c) it can interfere with getting stuff out of pockets - which golfers do a lot - especially tees and markers
    d) most golfers wear a glove, which gets put on/taken off after every shot. The hand that wears the glove is the usually the same which most people would wear their watch.
    e) Finally, why would professional golfers be interested in wearing a watch, just a distraction. Its not as if they cannot get the time by asking their caddy or looking up at the score boards.

These days lots a golfers have switched their watch for a wrist GPS device - time AND distance.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

There's a Smiths for every occasion

https://www.mwrforum.net/forums/show...burning-bright

Shame it's from a cricket club rather than a golf club but if it had been a crown green bowls club it would have been a Tiger's woods.

Remember: in 1953 Smiths were a wholly in-house manufacture and the first to the summit of Everest when Rolex were just a casing-up and marketing outfit.

(Gets coat and runs away. To Cheltenham.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    ...when Rolex were just a...marketing outfit.
    Some might say...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m perfectly happy for it to be nonsense. It certainly was received wisdom at Sunningdale quite a few decades ago. It also makes sense given how the motor nervous system processes a complex ballistic (the body not the ball) action. However, a few years caddying has given me a healthy distaste for the game, so I’ve not looked into it. There’s an easy and lucrative research project there though.

Wow fascinating bobble thanks for linking it.

Yeh I noticed the D blue on the 2nd day interview he did, it looked bloody thick, I also noticed quite a few golfers are sponsored by AP, nice life if your good enough..

Craftsman
    This is like watching a well stocked trout river on a misty morning, during a biblical plague of flies.

Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    This is like watching a well stocked trout river on a misty morning, during a biblical plague of flies.
    like it.

Is this your first day on the internet?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Is this your first day on the internet?
    My comment referred to the OP's very first post, and how successful it was. Nothing else.

My comment referred to the OP's very first post, and how successful it was. Nothing else.
    OK. To clear up confusion, it's usually helpful to quote the comment (or part of the comment) you're referring to.

HTH.

Are you a fly fisherman Mark? I love it. This weekend looks v promising on the rivers. Dead drift a dry with a degreased leader, can’t beat it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Are you a fly fisherman Mark? I love it. This weekend looks v promising on the rivers. Dead drift a dry with a degreased leader, can’t beat it.
    I did a little fly fishing as a youngster many, many moons ago and liked it but not since, it is certainly preferable to "a good walk spoiled" for me. I would worry about the repeated casting and flicking having an impact on a non-shockprotected SmithS though, and the threat of water ingress on a SmithS diver! ;-))

I did hear that female fly fisher(wo)men are often very successful and this has been attributed by some to keeping their beautifully made flies in the knicker drawer! Do trout like Persil I wonder or do the fairer sex who fly fish have a 'special' drawer?

Not that I am trying to change the subject....

Do trout like Persil I wonder or do the fairer sex who fly fish have a 'special' drawer?
    Now that has made me laugh.

Remind me of the old saying: the way to a fisherman's heart is through his flies.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Talking of sports icons wearing Rolex... Rossi was sporting a Pepsi at the Americas GP press conference. (I did get a glimpse of the front) definitely a Pepsi..

He has a white dialed ceramic Daytona which he wears a LOT. Far more than mere sponsorship would dictate, so he clearly likes it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Tough to say. I will let M4tt analyze the lug shape from this grainy image and render his final verdict.
    Analysis of the inscriptions on case back to come at a later date.

Just kidding
    It is a D Blue for those who didn't know.
    The question is - did he 'carry' it to Augusta? And if so,how?
    Because multiple images on the last hole do not show a watch on his wrist:-)
    Hope you guys all enjoyed the final day at the Masters.

Just my opinion, but I'd say that looks too big on him.

Chillax
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I feel two of you are on the same side of argument, more or less.