closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: average speed camera scenario

Master

average speed camera scenario

Driving back from Cheltenham today through a section of road works covered by average speed cameras, single lane each way.
    Emergency service vehicle driving on lights and sirens coming through the restricted section, what do you do if you're in front of the vehicle, stick to the speed restriction thus holding the emergency vehicle up, or speed up accordingly and risk the fine.

Personally.
    I’d push on and move over when it’s clear.
    Nothin* worse than someone seeing sirens and hanging on the brakes / trying to mount the. kerb

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Driving back from Cheltenham today through a section of road works covered by average speed cameras, single lane each way.
    Emergency service vehicle driving on lights and sirens coming through the restricted section, what do you do if you're in front of the vehicle, stick to the speed restriction thus holding the emergency vehicle up, or speed up accordingly and risk the fine.
    When I took my driver awareness course a couple of years back, one of the things that was particularly singled out as being not an excuse for breaking the speed limit was to make way for an emergency vehicle, so officially, if you speed up, you’re culpable.

That said, it’s an average speed camera, so if you accelerated from 50 to 60 for a short time and then pulled in to let the other vehicle pass, you could drive a while under the speed limit to compensate, therefore your average speed will not be above the limit.

Of course, if a Police car were following you and saw you driving above the limit, my initial point may still apply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Speed up then pull over at the next convenient place to stop. It could be your loved one in the ambulance, get out of the way and argue the toss later.
    Last edited by cessna152; 14th April 2019 at 22:46. Reason: (Ex police officer)

Speaking of culpability, and going slightly off tangent, the same would apply at traffic lights. If you go through the red light to let emergency services past,
    and were flashed, it be no excuse for being let off with said offence.
    As you were...

Master
    It did cause quite a debate within the car, we were not the ones with the emergency vehicle behind us, it was on the opposite carriage way, never really thought about it before.
    The particular stretch of road has no pull-ins and is coned off for a single file of traffic, so very difficult to let anything past.
    I think I personally would just speed up and not hold up the emergency vehicle, but how would you argue the point.

It did cause quite a debate within the car, we were not the ones with the emergency vehicle behind us, it was on the opposite carriage way, never really thought about it before.
    The particular stretch of road has no pull-ins and is coned off for a single file of traffic, so very difficult to let anything past.
    I think I personally would just speed up and not hold up the emergency vehicle, but how would you argue the point.
    I'm assuming you were on the 'Drag Strip' i.e. the A40 dual carriageway between Cheltenham and Gloucester. I would always speed up and allow the emergency vehicle to get on with its job. I would argue the toss later with the evidence from my dashcams (front and rear).

If there was nowhere to pull in, I’d stick to the speed limit, just like I wouldn’t jump a red to let emergency services to pass. Knowing the difficulty to appeal these things, I just wouldn’t risk the penalty notice.

For those that say they’d speed up...what speed would you do if its, say, a 40mph section? You can be sure the ambulance would be still up your ass at 80mph...and by that speed you’ve probably just caught up with the next vehicle in front...should they also speed up...what about the vehicle in front of them?
    Last edited by Christian; 15th April 2019 at 00:00.

From North Wales Police:

• On a road with double white line system, and the line nearest you is solid, maintain a safe speed and do not exceed the limit. The emergency vehicle will remain behind and may turn off the sirens or lights.

and

• Remember: Emergency vehicle drivers are specially trained and have exemptions to the law that you don't have, so you must not go through red lights or speed to allow them to pass.

An ESV driver/rider is taught to use their lights/sirens appropriately. If the vehicle in front should not or could not make way for them then that's an example of when it is may be appropriate to not use either or both visual/audible warnings until the situation changes.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    From North Wales Police:

• On a road with double white line system, and the line nearest you is solid, maintain a safe speed and do not exceed the limit. The emergency vehicle will remain behind and may turn off the sirens or lights.

and

• Remember: Emergency vehicle drivers are specially trained and have exemptions to the law that you don't have, so you must not go through red lights or speed to allow them to pass.
    I was going to post something similar.

Basically they are trained, Joe Public is not. Driving inconsistently (speeding up, jumping a red etc.) makes it harder for the trained driver to make a judgement call about a manoeuvre they may need to make.

I’m afraid I’m one who would stick to the limit as like the rest of the driving public we don’t have an exemption to break the rule of the highway. I suspect that the mass of driving public don’t know or have forgotten the this as I have seen plenty of dangerous manoeuvres to get out of the way.

Having also read the comments above re they are driving professionals, I’ve seen both a police and ambulance driver angrily gesturing for people to do exactly that, break the rules so maybe they need to also have a refresher course?

I attended a speed awareness course yesterday and a similar scenario was discussed. Long discussion, abridged summary: Do not exceed the speed limit, do not jump a red light.....

(the course was excellent)

Interesting.

I was recently sat at the front of a queue at traffic lights, which were red. A police car came up behind with blue lights flashing. I stayed put, due to the red light. The police officer hit his horn, waved his fist angrily and in no uncertain terms indicated for me to get out of the way.

Foggy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Interesting.

I was recently sat at the front of a queue at traffic lights, which were red. A police car came up behind with blue lights flashing. I stayed put, due to the red light. The police officer hit his horn, waved his fist angrily and in no uncertain terms indicated for me to get out of the way.

Foggy
    Exactly the problem - there are legal advisories all over the place about not speeding or going through reds for emergency vehicles but when this happens in the real world it takes some nerve just to look straight ahead and whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Interesting.

Foggy
    Ask the Police:

If you cross the stop line at the junction whilst the lights are on red, you will commit the offence of contravening a red traffic light. However, if there is an emergency vehicle behind you with its emergency warning signals on it might be possible for you to manoeuvre out of the way to allow it through. Ideally this should be to the side of the road without encroaching into the main area of the junction. It should only be done when it is safe to do so without putting yourself or other members of the public in danger and it should only be done slowly and carefully.

It is important to remember that in committing the offence (crossing the stop line) the onus will be on you to provide evidence that you did so to allow an emergency vehicle through, and this may be considered as mitigation...

My understanding has always been that road signs can be disregarded by anyone if directed to do so by uniformed police (has to be uniformed and police only). This gives police drivers the opportunity to give themselves permission to disregard a road sign, including speeding limits.

Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 s.87 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    My understanding has always been that road signs can be disregarded by anyone if directed to do so by uniformed police (has to be uniformed and police only). This gives police drivers the opportunity to give themselves permission to disregard a road sign, including speeding limits.

Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 s.87 I think.
    Not strictly true - there are delegated powers under CSAS (Community Safety Accreditation Scheme) for other organisations.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........