closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Blu-ray/DVD Players

Master

Blu-ray/DVD Players

I’ve just bought a new LG OLED tv and now want to upgrade my old pioneer DVD player that has scart leads (that’s how old it is)

Looking on Curry’s website the price varies massively. The more expensive ones seeming to have streaming and catch up tv. I don’t think I really need that but what caught my eye is a lot of them have WiFi. Does that mean there are no physical leads between the DVD player and the tv?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Blog Entries
    If your new tv has bluetooth then it will give you lead free connection to blue ray,sound bars , headphones, tablets and smart phones.

The WiFi connection will be for the ‘smart’ part, the apps for streaming services, the dvd part will still need a hdmi connection to the tv.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master

Blu-ray/DVD Players

Hmm, these last two posts are contradictory, so now I’m even more confused.

Blog Entries
    I think Jase is correct and i am wrong whilst bluetooth will be supported by many devices your blue ray will need a HDMI lead to connect to your tv which is a very simple connection but get the advice from the whoever sells you the player.

Master
    I was in a similar situation and just bought the cheapest thing I could find as I so rarely play DVD/Blu Ray:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4177609

Connects with HDMI. Doubt any DVD player connects to the TV by Bluetooth etc but happy to be told otherwise.

Or cheaper still:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasic.../dp/B014I8UL8U
    Last edited by David_D; 14th April 2019 at 16:33.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    The catch being that DVI doesn't carry audio and doesn't connect to Scart.

Apart from that it's spot on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    The catch being that DVI doesn't carry audio and doesn't connect to Scart.

Apart from that it's spot on.
    Whatever!

Blog Entries
    I was advised to get a BluRay/DVD player with internet connection, but from a different brand from the TV (e.g. a Sony Blueray for a Samsung TV).

The reasoning is that if there are app/ functions you need that are not supported by the smart TV, they may be available in the smart Blueray.

F

Master
    The answer is simple, go to Richer Sounds, they give good advice, and are cheap, my current Blu-Ray / DVD was £49 and will play multi region DVDS.

I have a Panasonic Plasma smart tv ( quite old now), its paired with a Panasonic blu ray DVD as said earlier you need a Hdmi to watch DVD's but it has wireless connection for Netflix ect streaming through the dvd player

Im not 100 % sure if streaming works without the HDMI as its always plugged in ! Regardless if you want to watch DVDs you will have to buy a HDMI

Blu-ray players are always via HDMI. Don't be fooled into buying more expensive leads. HDMI is binary so it's either on or off.
    Worth getting a 4K UHD if you've got a posh TV.

Craftsman
    Head to Currys and get a Panasonic UB420. It’s one of the best Blu-Ray players you can get for under £290.

It’s only £119, has rave reviews and excellent settings to tinker with and Apps.
    Last edited by gavsw20; 14th April 2019 at 23:56.

Is there any point to spending big money on a dvd player nowdays?

I've got a Sony Blu-ray which cost well under £100, the picture on my 4k TV seems fine. Would I be better off spending more?

I can't think of any consumer electronic item that has fallen in price like Blu-ray players, you can buy them for little more than a box set today, it doesn't seem long ago they were £500+.

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Head to Currys and get a Panasonic UB420. It’s one of the best Blu-Ray players you can get for under £290.

It’s only £119, has rave reviews and excellent settings to tinker with and Apps.
    Don't do this, just buy a decent cheap DVD player, or even a xbox or ps4 if you ever play games

Craftsman
    PS4=sorted

Master
    TV - bluetooth to a soundbar
    BluRay - wifi to the internet for smart apps - probably redundant as if the tv is decent it will have these already - might be worth it as certain catchup apps aren't available on all tv's

Personally I sold off all but a handful of my DVD's and BLU rays and now rely 100% on streaming services such as Netflix and Prime, that and an old sky box for 'freeview' and I'm very happy.

I bought a region modded Sony Blu Ray player simply because I wanted to be able to watch releases that sometimes don't make it to our shores.

Master
    I ended up getting an LG PB 350 from curry’s for £66.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Don't do this, just buy a decent cheap DVD player, or even a xbox or ps4 if you ever play games
    A DVD player won’t play Blu-Ray discs and a console will cost you £190+.

He’s bought one now anyway.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    Is there any point to spending big money on a dvd player nowdays?

I've got a Sony Blu-ray which cost well under £100, the picture on my 4k TV seems fine. Would I be better off spending more?

I can't think of any consumer electronic item that has fallen in price like Blu-ray players, you can buy them for little more than a box set today, it doesn't seem long ago they were £500+.
    It depends on what system you are integrating with. Some bluray players like Cambridge, Pioneer can stretch up to £800. For that you get a better chip set and better quality audio out. That's why it is worth demoing your equipment in your system to see if you can establish any difference. I didn't see enough in my cinema room to warrant the expense personally and opted to use a PS4. Maybe the audio is mildly inferior but as I stream most of my movies via an iTunes account the sound file is compressed and compromised anyway.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    It depends on what system you are integrating with. Some bluray players like Cambridge, Pioneer can stretch up to £800. For that you get a better chip set and better quality audio out. That's why it is worth demoing your equipment in your system to see if you can establish any difference. I didn't see enough in my cinema room to warrant the expense personally and opted to use a PS4. Maybe the audio is mildly inferior but as I stream most of my movies via an iTunes account the sound file is compressed and compromised anyway.

What he said /\.

Am I alone in thinking dvd looked great on ‘old school’ 32’’ CRT tv’s, but awful on a large led modern screen? Imho you need blu ray just so you don’t get VHS quality pictures on a 50’’ telly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Am I alone in thinking dvd looked great on ‘old school’ 32’’ CRT tv’s, but awful on a large led modern screen? Imho you need blu ray just so you don’t get VHS quality pictures on a 50’’ telly!

Just you I think.

DVDs played through a Blu-Ray player (depending on player) upscale to 1080p. The image quality is lower than a Blu-Ray disc but you have to be really really picky. I think many "notice" it because they know the type of disc being played.

Also CRT actually does produce a better picture especially in motion shots, but we are now more used to the LCD display, so it looks off.

Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post

Cheers, the set up is nothing special and it's in a living room so sound quality isn't really an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Just you I think.

DVDs played through a Blu-Ray player (depending on player) upscale to 1080p. The image quality is lower than a Blu-Ray disc but you have to be really really picky. I think many "notice" it because they know the type of disc being played.

Also CRT actually does produce a better picture especially in motion shots, but we are now more used to the LCD display, so it looks off.
    Actually I don’t think I explained myself properly tbh! I do appreciate the extra quality of blu-Ray and understand the upscaling. I just think on an old tiny telly a dvd was good enough, and much more of a leap in quality from vhs. On the huge 50 inch tv’s must of us own nowadays blu-Ray is a must. Mind you I’m struggling to remember the last time I used mine, usually just stream