closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Eraser for removing scratches from burnished surface

  1. #1
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    159

    Eraser for removing scratches from burnished surface

    I have this little "eraser" that removes scratches from burnished surfaces.
    Its like an eraser i had in my pencil case as a kid, remember one half was for pencil, the other half for pen. Well its like the pen part.

    I have no idea what its called. anyone know what it is, or what im even rambling on about?

  2. #2
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    I have this little "eraser" that removes scratches from burnished surfaces.
    Its like an eraser i had in my pencil case as a kid, remember one half was for pencil, the other half for pen. Well its like the pen part.

    I have no idea what its called. anyone know what it is, or what im even rambling on about?
    Don’t use them. They are ink erasers. If you must remove marks use 3m scotch brite pads, green or red. They brush the surface and it looks on. The eraser leaves the watch finish looking horrific under close inspection.

  3. #3
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Don’t use them. They are ink erasers. If you must remove marks use 3m scotch brite pads, green or red. They brush the surface and it looks on. The eraser leaves the watch finish looking horrific under close inspection.
    No, this isn't an ink eraser, I just used that as an example as it's similar to an ink eraser. This came from a watch repair specialist.

  4. #4
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    3,541
    Any industrial supplier (and even Amazon now) will be able to sell you Garryflex abrasive blocks, which are abrasives embedded in a rubber matrix, and are used for re-dressing machine surfaces. They work well on watch cases too.

    D

  5. #5
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Any industrial supplier (and even Amazon now) will be able to sell you Garryflex abrasive blocks, which are abrasives embedded in a rubber matrix, and are used for re-dressing machine surfaces. They work well on watch cases too.

    D
    Garry flex abrasive block, that's exactly what it is, thanks!

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. Odiáxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    7,082
    Blog Entries
    19
    Following on from this - I did buy one touch up tool that looks like a pencil eraser - from eBay - terrible thing. As said scotch bright green works for me to touch up any brushed finished areas. Just be careful to brush in one direction with a steady hand. (Stop sniggering at the back!).

    Martyn.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •