closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Rise of Skywalker

Sit back, switch off the 'Barry Norman' inside, and immerse yourself in the epic and neverending universe that is 'Star Wars'.
    It's all good!

The.best.part.for me.was FINALLY.THE.SAGA WILL COME TO.AN.END

These people are just making things up as they go

BUBI 0_0

Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    The.best.part.for me.was FINALLY.THE.SAGA WILL COME TO.AN.END

These people are just making things up as they go

BUBI 0_0
    The skywalker saga sure but what’s next?

It’s a fictional story so everyone from Lucas on has been making things up as they go 😉

The spin offs have been good, I’d like them to explore more characters. Boba Fett is an obvious one.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    The skywalker saga sure but what’s next?

It’s a fictional story so everyone from Lucas on has been making things up as they go

The spin offs have been good, I’d like them to explore more characters. Boba Fett is an obvious one.
    Lucas had to wait for the technology to be there in order to put episodes 1 2 and 3 to film.
    I think the only improv was the wookies movie spin off.
    It's like the bible.
    The new testament makes the bible the old testament but really it's a different religion.
    And only the followers of the old one seem to notice and care.

BUBI 0_0

We're taking my son as an early b'day treat tonight.

Anyone else going?

(I'd like to see it, but am suffering from a rancid cold, raging throat, and the movie is apparently two hours forty minutes long).

Will report back.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    We're taking my son as an early b'day treat tonight.

Anyone else going?

(I'd like to see it, but am suffering from a rancid cold, raging throat, and the movie is apparently two hours forty minutes long).

Will report back.
    Went at midnight...I won’t spoil it but I enjoyed it. Lots of nods to the previous films.

I did a triple bill mind so by the time The Rise of Skywalker came on I was pretty tired!!

I watched episodes VII and VIII on Tuesday and yesterday then went to see episode IX this morning. I went in pretty cold having watched the teaser and full trailers once each. I’d avoided all spoilers too. I thought it was a good end to the story and really enjoyed it. There was one point near the end which brought a tear to my eye.

Having been a lifelong Star Wars fan I absolutely hated The Last Jedi - not because it wasn’t what I expected, but because I truly thought it was an awful film - and as a result I’m totally ambivalent about this one. I’m really enjoying The Mandalorian, and I’m sure I’ll see The Last Skywalker, but I’m not in a hurry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw it this morning and I enjoyed it a lot. Not perfect, but what movie is? As the final Skywalker movie it had a lot of baggage to carry, and in general I think it landed almost all of it.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I saw it last night and thought it was a great film to close the Skywalker saga. Never watched a trailer and avoided any write up/ speculation posts.

Lots of nods to previous films for the fans, funny in the rights parts with some emotional impact. It is clear that JJ Abrams knows how to write a Star Wars movie unlike Rian Johnson and the turd that was Last Jedi!

Interestingly went with someone who has never watched a Star Wars movie before and they thought that it was a good entertaining movie and that they weren’t lost. Oh and they loved the “rolling robot”. Their words, not mine!

Master
    Did the Triple Bill last night too. Thought all 3 worked well as a trilogy. Plenty of spots of humour, storylines tied up nicely etc etc. Kept me entertained, but I was close to nodding off in last 30 mins, but with a 4 month old bbaby I hadn't had much sleep night before anyway.

I’ve just got back in from watching it. I enjoyed it but found the story even more far fetched than ever (if that’s possible for a space opera set in a galaxy far far away).
    There was good humour and the special effects were great. Still the best bits for me are the music and sound effects.
    Thus the cycle is complete after 41 years. Farewell Star Wars, it’s been emotional

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just got in from a late showing.

I really liked it, it's not perfect but makes the last Jedi seem pointless tbh. Another scavenger hunt style side mission etc, but the overall look and feel was a love letter to the return of the Jedi in particular.

You could go from 7-9 and skip the tripe.

Plus that little Babu Frik and also the Zorii character were great.

I thought it was solidly good.

It packed a huge amount in, never flagged, and did adequately bring resolution to the Skywalker saga.

Obviously there were great effects and design, and some really nice nods to the originals throughout.

This was always going to be a very tricky film to pull off, and it could have gone horribly wrong. But it didn't. It made sense, there weren't glaring plot holes to spoil it, and the set pieces were spectacular.

Nothing can recreate the iconic status of the originals of course, but this film achieves what it needed to, and I was not bored at any point.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Sadly this was very poor imho. If you’re not a ‘fan’ it’s another whizz bang action film, and averagely enjoyable. If you have followed the whole saga this has so many plot holes and ‘eh?’ moments which make absolutely no sense, or just railroad straight over the ‘logic’ of this fantasy universe - which the original films were so careful to lay out - making this whole trilogy totally redundant as ‘episodes 7-9’. I feel no desire to revisit these films in the future and they didn’t resonate with me at all. Lucky there’s The Mandalorian for the fans - which actually tells a story, makes sense, feels like Star Wars and above all is good entertainment!

The Rise of Skywalker

Didnt do it for me.
    Tried hard with the gimmicky stuff and more of the little wink-wink references to the classics (in fact some of the acting was so wooden it put Mark Hamill to shame).
    Poor old Lando got wheeled out of some Endor care home and Luke looked like magic grandpa after a few weeks sleeping rough on the streets of Islington.
    End of the day it just wringed every single last drop of magic out of the “franchise” and by 2hrs in I was begging for the end.

And if it did anything, it underlined that this really is The End.

ETA - the real magic was H Ford, C Fisher, Hamill, Guinness and D Vader. This has never been equalled.
    And..... the other star of the originals was the incredible musical score, which they seem to have almost entirely ditched now.
    Last edited by nickg; 23rd December 2019 at 18:11.

I thought it was pretty good.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Will go and see it, but not until after Christmas.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

The best bits: Having to get up to take a leak half way through; emerging from the cinema at the end.

Blog Entries
    Just back from the cinema with my 13 year old son - who's a massive fan. Don't think it hit the spot for him, though he wasn't disappointed, he wasn't elated by it either.

As mentioned above, the first 3 (originals as I like to refer to them) were the best - in terms of story, characters and also the effects were so ahead of their time.

The subsequent films just haven't been able to hit that sweet spot.

Just got back....

I thought it was very good

Ok - not as good as the original trilogy, but enjoyable

A good storyline and decent ending

Master
    Blog Entries
    Will see it over xmas and hoping it makes up for the last film which was a shocker.

I think JJ had the Force Awakens kind of on the right track but made a few frustrating errors - one being the death star rehashed (again) and more importantly Kylo Ren looked like a great potential villain but by taking his mask off so soon it kind of ruined the whole villain / Vader type thing for the remaining two films.

Snoke was completely pointless and I feel that just like the prequel trilogy they wasted a whole film in each of the bookend trilogy’s with so much fluff and side stories that have no relevance.

Enjoying the Mandalorian and thought Rogue One was fantastic!
    Last edited by kultschar; 23rd December 2019 at 22:50.

Quote Originally Posted by nickg View Post
    ...(in fact some of the acting was so wooden it put Mark Hamill to shame).
    There is a reason why Harrison Ford’s and Mark Hamill’s respective careers are not exactly in the same league.

Apparently his specialty is lending his voice to cartoon characters. Maybe he came to the same conclusion as you did.

I do recognise that despite the above, he can call himself very successful.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    There is a reason why Harrison Ford’s and Mark Hamill’s respective careers are not exactly in the same league.

Apparently his specialty is lending his voice to cartoon characters. Maybe he came to the same conclusion as you did.

I do recognise that despite the above, he can call himself very successful.
    Don’t forget his critically acclaimed portrayal of the super villain ‘cock knocker’.

https://youtu.be/PYJFzOzpwHo

I watched it with the kids, and my father; everyone enjoyed it :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Just got back from seeing it at the local imax. Thought it was the best of the recent trilogy I can understand why some people might not like it and yes there were a few annoying things, usually anything said by Poe.
    That said I actually enjoyed ‘solo’ and loved rogue one so...

Just saw it. Enjoyed it, a solid 7 out of 10 and kind of like a 'Greatest Hits' of Star Wars film.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just saw it with the family myself, and I thought the time flew by, it was great fun.
    Interesting choice to make so much use of "Leia" footage.
    D

Blog Entries
    Not seen the above yet. Force Awakens was ok, Rogue one was very good, Last jedi I gave up on towards the end and Solo I fell asleep twice .

We can all have 'New Hope' in the excellent Mandalorian show and hopefully Ewan McGregor will deliver some Alec Guinnessisms in his portrayal of Old Ben Kenobi the TV show. I think it's set after Revenge of the Sith and before a New Hope . So plenty of him exploring himself, his force and with his mystical thoughts , alone on Tattooine.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Not seen the above yet. Force Awakens was ok, Rogue one was very good, Last jedi I gave up on towards the end and Solo I fell asleep twice .

We can all have 'New Hope' in the excellent Mandalorian show and hopefully Ewan McGregor will deliver some Alec Guinnessisms in his portrayal of Old Ben Kenobi the TV show. I think it's set after Revenge of the Sith and before a New Hope . So plenty of him exploring himself, his force and with his mystical thoughts , alone on Tattooine.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Looking forward to The Mandalorian coming to the U.K. and am hopeful about the Kenobi spin off.

The family and I went to see it last night and whilst it was visually very good, the sound was audible (unlike some previous offerings), after 42 years I was a somewhat disappointed fan.

At least 30 minutes to long (partly because of scenes which added nothing), to many new characters introduced with added nothing except to help merch sales, a storyline which was pretty much a re-boot of the RoTJ and way to many loose ends.

Prior to going we watched esp7 of the Mandolorian, which last night took a very dark turn. Very good indeed.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Saw it on Friday night - we are all Star Wars fans, my wife especially so.

We all loved it - great entertainment, links and references back to what has come before and some old characters. Avoided all the trailers, spoilers and reviews as just wanted to sit back, relax and let it wash over me.

Have to say, the seats in our local are now the lux version and are incredibly comfortable!

We watched the previous one earlier in the week to get back up to speed and watched a New Hope last night.

Quote Originally Posted by nickg View Post
    in fact some of the acting was so wooden.
    Two 4x2s would have been more animated and entertaining than Daisy Ridley and John Boyega.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Its very telling that Rogue One and Mandalorian try to tell fresh stories with an eye on the original trilogy and are far more successful at giving the audience what they want.

Star Wars has been stuck in a rut since Return of the Jedi.

Star Wars was based on Kurosawa films , Empire had an extremely solid unflashy old school director.
    People need to stop reinventing Star Wars and actually remember what it is : a Samurai movie in space. Its not even really science fiction.

The Mandalorian is great fun and gritty but its also light and fun and delivers what the Star Wars crowd want. Its heavily based on “Lone Wolf and Cub” another bunch of Samurai films and has a solid old fashioned director on it. Episode 1 is better than anything else from Star Wars since Empire ( ROTJ sucks a bit to be honest).

I'm just back - see I'm not the only one who found the acting cringeable, especially Boyega. The only SW cinema movie where I almost walked out early.

Funnily enough, my wife loved it - go figure ...

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Two 4x2s would have been more animated and entertaining than Daisy Ridley and John Boyega.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I’m sure daisy could be quite animated in the right setting...
    It's just a matter of time...

Sure, the originals should have been left alone really... but they weren't.

This latest film does, IMO, the very best job it could given the previous instalment. JJ has made a solid film that, while not in the same league as the original trilogy, is an enjoyable outing.

Disney should have used the huge resource of the star wars universe to make new films unconnected to the skywalker plotline, rather than rehashing old plot devices. But...it is what it is and l enjoyed the last film.

Master
    I'd put the films in this order now after seeing the latest film:

1) Empire Strikes Back
    2) Star Wars
    * Rogue One
    3) Return of the Jedi
    * Solo
    4) The Force Awakens
    5) The Rise of Skywalker
    6) The Last Jedi
    7) Revenge of the Sith
    8) Attack of the Clones
    9) The Phantom Menace

Master
    Blog Entries
    For me it's:

Ep5
    Rogue 1
    Ep 4
    Ep 6
    Ep 7
    Ep 9
    Solo
    Ep 3
    Ep 2
    Ep 8
    Ep 1

Saw it last night...I've been a fan since I saw the original Star Wars on the day it was released in 77...this did nothing for me. Ramming in references to previous movies to "tie up the story" is nonsense...do you think Disney won't do another 9+ given what they paid for the franchise? 30 minutes too long and despite the numerous fight and battle scenes it was just boring...maybe at 54 I'm not the 12 year old who saw the original..

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Are there any spoilers on here before I start reading this thread please ? Am trying to avoid IMDB for a while too before 4K release.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’m sure daisy could be quite animated in the right setting...
    My problem with Daisy Ridley is that when I look at her, I see Damon Grant from Brookside.

I very much enjoyed it with my two kids in the same small-town theater where I watched the original with my parents and brother in 1977.

Having recently rewatched the prequel trilogy (they’re on sky, I was having a lazy afternoon) - having seen TROS last week - I came to the surprising conclusion that the ‘Disney Trilogy’ is right at the bottom of the pile for me. The prequels may have dodgy (but at the time groundbreaking) cgi, and some ropey scripts - but they have a cohesive storyline, lots of imagination and all tie together with the original trilogy. Sadly the Disney trilogy look great, but that’s it - no story, no characters, no imagination - not Star Wars

Craftsman
    Saw it last night on IMAX in Manchester....... big event as end of a 42 year long era having watched the first movie when I was 7 in 1977........ I can sum up my feelings in one word..... pants...... :(
    Last edited by tintin; 28th December 2019 at 00:22.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    Say it last night on IMAX in Manchester....... big event as end of a 42 year long era having watched the first movie when I was 7 in 1977........ I can sum up my feelings in one word..... pants...... :(
    Very similar in all aspects here as well, I felt...underwhelmed at the end sadly.

Craftsman
    As a fan of Star Wars, I liked it. It rounded out the trilogy of trilogies, basically ignoring the heinous mess that was TLJ. Far too many cameos and references to count, but a couple of them made me genuinely laugh as they were completely unexpected or brought back happy memories of the original trilogy.

Not since Return of the Jedi has the title been so perfectly ambiguous though.

I have no desire to see TLJ again, nor even finish watching Solo, but I’ll definitely see Rise of Skywalker again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    As a fan of Star Wars, I liked it. It rounded out the trilogy of trilogies, basically ignoring the heinous mess that was TLJ. Far too many cameos and references to count, but a couple of them made me genuinely laugh as they were completely unexpected or brought back happy memories of the original trilogy.

Not since Return of the Jedi has the title been so perfectly ambiguous though.

I have no desire to see TLJ again, nor even finish watching Solo, but I’ll definitely see Rise of Skywalker again.
    To offer an alternate point of view, it totally ignored the whole ‘fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker/Vader’ across the first 6 movies, brought Palpatine back thereby totally undermining the end of ROTJ and the whole point of the Lucas story. You’re right, TLJ was a disaster but arguably this movie made even more of a hash of it. It looked good, but when you peer more deeply - it’s a hollow mess which adds nothing at all to the overarching story and just messily ends. And ironically all the Skywalkers are dead and the emperors grand- daughter is the winner. Hurrah!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    To offer an alternate point of view, it totally ignored the whole ‘fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker/Vader’ across the first 6 movies, brought Palpatine back thereby totally undermining the end of ROTJ and the whole point of the Lucas story. You’re right, TLJ was a disaster but arguably this movie made even more of a hash of it. It looked good, but when you peer more deeply - it’s a hollow mess which adds nothing at all to the overarching story and just messily ends. And ironically all the Skywalkers are dead and the emperors grand- daughter is the winner. Hurrah!
    Well done.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    They need those pesky infinity stones to go back in time and stop the Emperor in his tracks, or at least stop Lucas/ Abrams/ Johnson from ruining things under the command of the evil Galactic Disney Empire...