closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Could someone have a quick look, please?

Could someone have a quick look, please?

Hallo, I am in a process of buying a watch, one of the pictures concerned me though. It appears to me that there are marks on the case back. Does it look like someone has tampered with it, or am I paranoid? The watch is meant to be brand new...

Thank you for all your opinions!

Re: Could someone have a quick look, please?

The notch in the caseback at the approximate 8 position looks like it has been seriously chewed.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries

I think I see what you're talking about...

One of those notches looks really scratched.

Yeah... thanks guys, you've just confirmed what I saw earlier. :( I was hoping for you to say: oh, don't worry, it's just light reflections. :roll: :lol: Pity, because I like the watch itself.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    The notch in the caseback at the approximate 8 position looks like it has been seriously chewed.
    Did not notice that at first, I was looking primarily at the whole case, but I agree with Eddie, it looks like someone has either opened, or tried to, with an inappropriate tool.
    /vince ..

Someone sure botched the opening of that watch.

Master

Not just the one notch at "8" is scratched but I suppose the one at "2" is a bit scratched, too. I guess the case has been opened awkwardly and/ or with the wrong tool. Not what I would accept as "new" in the sense of "mint". Moreover there's the question why one has opened the case.
    Sorry, mate.
    / Hal

Quote Originally Posted by wombat
    Not just the one notch at "8" is scratched but I suppose the one at "2" is a bit scratched, too. I guess the case has been opened awkwardly and/ or with the wrong tool. Not what I would accept as "new" in the sense of "mint". Moreover there's the question why one has opened the case.
    Sorry, mate.
    / Hal
    I originally thought that there was some kind of a 'dink' on 8, but 2 is a real giveaway to me... It's titanium, really easy to leave a mark on, and the 2 looks just like a mark after a tool 'bite'.

And who opened it with what - surely it was not an AD?

I mean, I do not have a pronounced need for opening watches all the time, so I just bought a cheap opening tool. With that and a little bit of care, I leave no marks to speak of.

I can't read which movement is inside but if it's quartz and been in stock for some time, it's not unlikely that the battery has been changed.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

If in doubt steer clear IMHO. There are plenty more watches out there. :)
    F.T.F.A.

Hi all

It's a 7T62 - made in 2004 by the looks of it. If it han't been used (no chrono use) then the battery should still be OK; they last 3 years with a couple of hours chrono use a day and up to 5 years without. Been opened (badly) for some reason though.

Cheers

Ewan

Sabastien,

I think I have the same watch but in steel not titanium. In many ways it's great - looks very spiffy, more like a Sinn than a Seiko from a distance, not too pricey, keeps great time, etc but I feel I have to offer some cautionary points, as this watch has given me rather more trouble and issues than I would expect from a beater watch:

i. the crown dethreaded after 3 months - I got it fixed cheap by the Seiko AD, but it wasn't covered by the warranty ("case only") and it meant an inconvenient trip into town

ii. the lume as seen through a glass is very uneven - you can see the blobs comprising each line of lume

iii. the bracelet with its polished "highlights" looks IMHO tacky (ok, that's a taste issue)

iv. the top pusher is sticky ie not returning to original position, after 18 months or so

I remain a huge Seiko fan, but I could not based on personal experience recommend this particular model, although I think I just got a bad 'un.

Kamraj

Master

I vote for a new battery being inserted by the seller with a pair on pin-nose pliers...

Any pics of the face - I'm just interested in the model now!

Cheers,

Guy :)