closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hammerite Paint

Craftsman

Hammerite Paint

Does anyone know if you can get Hammerite paint charts please. I'm looking at the tints range and it's a bit tricky trying to get the closest match for some garden furniture using an Internet swatch on a phone (projected vs reflected light)

TIA

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Master
    Depending on how much furniture, why not just repaint / respray the whole lot?

That way there's no matching hassles.

Master
    Next time I do some underbody on one of our classics I'll use this: https://www.rust.co.uk/product/cat/e...hassis-paint-7

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    Does anyone know if you can get Hammerite paint charts please. I'm looking at the tints range and it's a bit tricky trying to get the closest match for some garden furniture using an Internet swatch on a phone (projected vs reflected light)

TIA

I assume you have approached the manufacturers?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Can you move the furniture? Ie a chair for example

If you can put it in the car and drive to the nearest brewers decorating centre , take it in the shop and they will scan the paint on the chair they can then match it for you

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I assume you have approached the manufacturers?
    I'm waiting for a reply

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Depending on how much furniture, why not just repaint / respray the whole lot?

That way there's no matching hassles.
    I was hoping to limit this to a small job Hopefully your suggestion falls under plan z !!!!

Blog Entries
    Stockists might have one. Any near you?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    Can you move the furniture? Ie a chair for example

If you can put it in the car and drive to the nearest brewers decorating centre , take it in the shop and they will scan the paint on the chair they can then match it for you
    Thanks for that it may well work. I was looking to use Hammerite so I can get away from the rubbing down, priming, undercoat etc required with traditional paints

Blog Entries
    When you paint OVER the existing rust, be sure that it will return. For the best result -even with Hammerite- it's better to remove all rust. Be advised: you can't mix Hammerite with other brands/colours.

I've seen countless chassis members that were painted with Hammerite. Ultimately, they all start rusting again. Always within a period not expected by the owner: 3 - 7 yrs.

Menno (not a fan of H.)
    Last edited by thieuster; 12th April 2019 at 15:18.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes you can get colour charts.

Dulux Decorator Centre’s

Brewers

Crown Paint Centre’s

Johnstone and Leyland Paints

The problem with manufacturers generic paint charts is that you're at the mercy of the printing process that produces them. A more accurate way of establishing an exact match is to obtain the RAL or BS colour code for an item and then choose your paint supplier. However, IIRC Hammerite's colours are not mixed to a RAL or BS standards.

An automotive spray shop will carry the full range of the above codes on cards and they can match that up to a supplied item, this might be overkill for matching up the colour of garden furniture though.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

You are right Hammerite does not mix Ral colours , I think the only way you will be able to get a colour match is to take it to Brewers , Dulux dec center have the same system but they only really sell Dulux paint. I'm sure I have seen Hammerite in Brewers along with loads of other manufactures paints, its really your best bet they will be able to tell you exactly what you need and if its a Ral colour

Good luck

Master
    Hammerite do a red, a green, a black etc, there are not big on shades. As its not really a fortune a tin just go for it.

Master
    You could try Rustoleum Combicolour, Rustoleum do 400 different colours of that and its much easier to work with than hammerite.

https://www.rawlinspaints.com/home/m...ombicolor.html

Bear in mind that outdoor paint will probably have faded, so even with the exact same paint, you might not get a perfect match.

Could you go for a contrasting colour instead?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Bear in mind that outdoor paint will probably have faded, so even with the exact same paint, you might not get a perfect match.

Could you go for a contrasting colour instead?
    Thanks for that I'm not expecting an exact match but something of similar tone. I understand I could get a pretty good match by going for automotive colours but then I would be in to the whole prep issue. The idea of Hammerite was give the table a quick clean, slap a couple of coats on and job done

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    Thanks for that I'm not expecting an exact match but something of similar tone. I understand I could get a pretty good match by going for automotive colours but then I would be in to the whole prep issue. The idea of Hammerite was give the table a quick clean, slap a couple of coats on and job done

Just get a similar colour in Hammerite and do the lot. They do a range of smooth as well hammered finishes.

I rollered a trailer in a gunmetal Hammerite last year and it came out really nice.
    Cheers,
    Neil.