closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: £150k to invest and grow

Craftsman
    Goldman Sachs' Marcus savings account gives 1.5% and will take the 100k. (I thought it was more, but quick check on the site see £100k mentioned) Instant access, interest paid monthly.

Craftsman
    I’ll take the other 100k. Give yer 2% return... No questions asked.

As below Marcus is market leading for savings. If you don’t need the money for upto 2years there might be a slightly higher return available.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    Goldman Sachs' Marcus savings account gives 1.5% and will take the 100k.
    I think the FSCS compensation scheme only covers you for £85,000 for an individual.

Premium Bond prize fund is currently 1.4%. If you stick the full £50,000 you should get that with the possibility of a big win.

Also, Premium Bond payouts are tax-free (if you are already using your £500/£1,000 savings allowance).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I think the FSCS compensation scheme only covers you for £85,000 for an individual.

Premium Bond prize fund is currently 1.4%. If you stick the full £50,000 you should get that with the possibility of a big win.

Also, Premium Bond payouts are tax-free (if you are already using your £500/£1,000 savings allowance).
    If Goldman Sachs going down the drain in the next 3 months then we've got bigger problems than the 15k loss!

Craftsman
    If Goldman Sachs going down the drain in the next 3 months then we've got bigger problems than the 15k loss!
    Agreed, if you wanted the max protection could do 80 in Goldman @ 1.5% and the remaining 20 in Santander 123 account also @ 1.5% but you need some direct debits and can get cash back on monthly bills for I think 3quid a month fee

Master
    Thanks guys I was looking at the Marks one myself.

The money might need to come back out after a 3-11 months . Premium Bonds I hadn't considered. Thanks for that.

100k in Marks and 50k in premium Bonds

Master
    I was providing information which the OP can use to make a decision.

Master
    Thanks guys just plonked £50k into premium bonds. I’ll have a look at the marks one. Guess the remaining 50k will have to be hookers and blow and a mustang .

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Got my IFA looking at £450k over 6/12 months. Need to have a quick/easy/penalty free release to allow diversion to my existing pension investments as and when I feel the need. Will report back if he comes up with anything worthwhile.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Got my IFA looking at £450k over 6/12 months. Need to have a quick/easy/penalty free release to allow diversion to my existing pension investments as and when I feel the need. Will report back if he comes up with anything worthwhile.
    450k is a decent chunk of change. I assume you want low risk rather than no risk? If we avoid equities hopefully he can find a suitable money market fund that suits your duration.

Otherwise direct saver @ NS&I offers 1% (on upto 2m) - if he suggests that maybe find a new IFA 😂

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    450k is a decent chunk of change. I assume you want low risk rather than no risk? If we avoid equities hopefully he can find a suitable money market fund that suits your duration.

Otherwise direct saver @ NS&I offers 1% (on upto 2m) - if he suggests that maybe find a new IFA 
    Indeed, low risk and accessibility are key. In 6/12 months, all being well, it will be invested in the same way as the majority.

Goldman Sachs' Marcus savings account gives 1.5% and will take the 100k. (I thought it was more, but quick check on the site see £100k mentioned) Instant access, interest paid monthly.
    Be aware that the rate drops after 12 months as there is a bonus applied for the first year. I think it's 0.3% or something.

Master
    Could look at HL Active Savings, currently has 6 different banks offering rates between 1.65% and 1.98% over 12 months. Also offer a selection of other terms. One application, easy admin and FSCS protection of up to £85k for each different entity you place funds with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lomax99 View Post
    Could look at HL Active Savings, currently has 6 different banks offering rates between 1.65% and 1.98% over 12 months. Also offer a selection of other terms. One application, easy admin and FSCS protection of up to £85k for each different entity you place funds with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just looking at this. Seems ok for people looking to lock in for 6 months plus but only one instant access option (Coventry BS) and the rate is lower than other options (only 1.25%).

Just noticed that Coventry are now offering a cash ISA at 1.5%. It's variable though so could move but it's worth considering. My Marcus account matures soon so I may move over to Coventry's ISA. Can you have a stocks and shares ISA and a cash ISA at the same time?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Can you have a stocks and shares ISA and a cash ISA at the same time?
    You mean can you subscribe to both in the same tax year? I'm not sure - used to be able to so I suspect so. I'll see if I can find the answer; got me wondering!

EDIT: https://www.fool.co.uk/investing-bas...ds/isa-basics/

Mixing share and cash ISAs
    If you like, you can open both a cash ISA and a Stocks & Shares ISA in the same tax year. However, the total amount you put in cannot exceed £20,000.
    Last edited by David_D; 15th May 2019 at 10:55. Reason: Added

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    You mean can you subscribe to both in the same tax year? I'm not sure - used to be able to so I suspect so. I'll see if I can find the answer; got me wondering!
    Yes and you can (just checked on MSE. £20k limit applies).

Master
    I have a very good friend (or at least he says that he is) in Africa, who has a partner who has a gold mine. His father has put 2 tonnes of gold in trust for him, which he will be able to sell in two years time. Unfortunately, my friend appears to have dyslexia as he keeps spelling things wrong and needs a UK investor to put up funds to his friend so that he can have some cash now. If you send me your email address, I will forward all of his emails to you so that he can have all your bank details and passwords to deposit a sale of gold certificate. Alternatively you could just put the cash in a wheelbarrow and leave it on a street corner for him to collect! :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TightStop9 View Post
    I think people for the money will buy an apartment. Or if for them this amount is small, then they know what to do with such money.
    You clearly do not have the same issue on your mind.