closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 68 of 68

Thread: £150k to invest and grow

  1. #51
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    935
    Goldman Sachs' Marcus savings account gives 1.5% and will take the 100k. (I thought it was more, but quick check on the site see £100k mentioned) Instant access, interest paid monthly.

  2. #52
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    96
    Iíll take the other 100k. Give yer 2% return... No questions asked.

    As below Marcus is market leading for savings. If you donít need the money for upto 2years there might be a slightly higher return available.

  3. #53
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    M62 corridor
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    Goldman Sachs' Marcus savings account gives 1.5% and will take the 100k.
    I think the FSCS compensation scheme only covers you for £85,000 for an individual.

    Premium Bond prize fund is currently 1.4%. If you stick the full £50,000 you should get that with the possibility of a big win.

    Also, Premium Bond payouts are tax-free (if you are already using your £500/£1,000 savings allowance).

  4. #54
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I think the FSCS compensation scheme only covers you for £85,000 for an individual.

    Premium Bond prize fund is currently 1.4%. If you stick the full £50,000 you should get that with the possibility of a big win.

    Also, Premium Bond payouts are tax-free (if you are already using your £500/£1,000 savings allowance).
    If Goldman Sachs going down the drain in the next 3 months then we've got bigger problems than the 15k loss!

  5. #55
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    If Goldman Sachs going down the drain in the next 3 months then we've got bigger problems than the 15k loss!
    Agreed, if you wanted the max protection could do 80 in Goldman @ 1.5% and the remaining 20 in Santander 123 account also @ 1.5% but you need some direct debits and can get cash back on monthly bills for I think 3quid a month fee

  6. #56
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Loughton UK
    Posts
    2,144
    Thanks guys I was looking at the Marks one myself.

    The money might need to come back out after a 3-11 months . Premium Bonds I hadn't considered. Thanks for that.

    100k in Marks and 50k in premium Bonds

  7. #57
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    M62 corridor
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    If Goldman Sachs going down the drain in the next 3 months then we've got bigger problems than the 15k loss!
    I was providing information which the OP can use to make a decision.

  8. #58
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Loughton UK
    Posts
    2,144
    Thanks guys just plonked £50k into premium bonds. Iíll have a look at the marks one. Guess the remaining 50k will have to be hookers and blow and a mustang .

  9. #59
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,199
    Got my IFA looking at £450k over 6/12 months. Need to have a quick/easy/penalty free release to allow diversion to my existing pension investments as and when I feel the need. Will report back if he comes up with anything worthwhile.

  10. #60
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Got my IFA looking at £450k over 6/12 months. Need to have a quick/easy/penalty free release to allow diversion to my existing pension investments as and when I feel the need. Will report back if he comes up with anything worthwhile.
    450k is a decent chunk of change. I assume you want low risk rather than no risk? If we avoid equities hopefully he can find a suitable money market fund that suits your duration.

    Otherwise direct saver @ NS&I offers 1% (on upto 2m) - if he suggests that maybe find a new IFA 😂

  11. #61
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    450k is a decent chunk of change. I assume you want low risk rather than no risk? If we avoid equities hopefully he can find a suitable money market fund that suits your duration.

    Otherwise direct saver @ NS&I offers 1% (on upto 2m) - if he suggests that maybe find a new IFA 
    Indeed, low risk and accessibility are key. In 6/12 months, all being well, it will be invested in the same way as the majority.

  12. #62
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    Goldman Sachs' Marcus savings account gives 1.5% and will take the 100k. (I thought it was more, but quick check on the site see £100k mentioned) Instant access, interest paid monthly.
    Be aware that the rate drops after 12 months as there is a bonus applied for the first year. I think it's 0.3% or something.

  13. #63
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,217
    Could look at HL Active Savings, currently has 6 different banks offering rates between 1.65% and 1.98% over 12 months. Also offer a selection of other terms. One application, easy admin and FSCS protection of up to £85k for each different entity you place funds with.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #64
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomax99 View Post
    Could look at HL Active Savings, currently has 6 different banks offering rates between 1.65% and 1.98% over 12 months. Also offer a selection of other terms. One application, easy admin and FSCS protection of up to £85k for each different entity you place funds with.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just looking at this. Seems ok for people looking to lock in for 6 months plus but only one instant access option (Coventry BS) and the rate is lower than other options (only 1.25%).

    Just noticed that Coventry are now offering a cash ISA at 1.5%. It's variable though so could move but it's worth considering. My Marcus account matures soon so I may move over to Coventry's ISA. Can you have a stocks and shares ISA and a cash ISA at the same time?

  15. #65
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    M62 corridor
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Can you have a stocks and shares ISA and a cash ISA at the same time?
    You mean can you subscribe to both in the same tax year? I'm not sure - used to be able to so I suspect so. I'll see if I can find the answer; got me wondering!

    EDIT: https://www.fool.co.uk/investing-bas...ds/isa-basics/

    Mixing share and cash ISAs
    If you like, you can open both a cash ISA and a Stocks & Shares ISA in the same tax year. However, the total amount you put in cannot exceed £20,000.
    Last edited by David_D; 15th May 2019 at 10:55. Reason: Added

  16. #66
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    You mean can you subscribe to both in the same tax year? I'm not sure - used to be able to so I suspect so. I'll see if I can find the answer; got me wondering!
    Yes and you can (just checked on MSE. £20k limit applies).

  17. #67
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Far East (of England)
    Posts
    1,928
    I have a very good friend (or at least he says that he is) in Africa, who has a partner who has a gold mine. His father has put 2 tonnes of gold in trust for him, which he will be able to sell in two years time. Unfortunately, my friend appears to have dyslexia as he keeps spelling things wrong and needs a UK investor to put up funds to his friend so that he can have some cash now. If you send me your email address, I will forward all of his emails to you so that he can have all your bank details and passwords to deposit a sale of gold certificate. Alternatively you could just put the cash in a wheelbarrow and leave it on a street corner for him to collect! :)

  18. #68
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    6,199
    Quote Originally Posted by TightStop9 View Post
    I think people for the money will buy an apartment. Or if for them this amount is small, then they know what to do with such money.
    You clearly do not have the same issue on your mind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •