closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko's new Marinemaster Kinetic

Seiko's new Marinemaster Kinetic

Handsome, apart from the mis-matched hands and weirdly located date window, but pricey at £1250. And 49mm? :shock:

Commentary by GMT+9:

This new SBDD001 Kinetic Direct Drive Marinemaster is slated for a May 2008 release. Details are sketchy, but here’s what I can tell you:

Movement is the 5D22 Kinetic with handwinding capability. List price is 241,500 yen. Size is indicated as a whopping 49mm. This might include the crown, but I’m not sure yet. Thickness is 15.1mm. Cases are titanium with diashield like finish. Watches will be available with strap and bracelet, and there may be a black cased model as well.

This release tells us in no uncertain terms a few things. First of all, Seiko truly is committed to the Kinetic movement, and secondly, they are boldly pushing their lines upmarket towards the luxury segments with their pricing strategies.

The watch is clearly styled after the Spring Drive 600M diver with it’s sawtooth bezel and screwback case. The hour hand looks very similar to what we’ve seen on the new GS diver and the minute hand is similar to what’s used on the new Direct Drive Brightz model. It will be interesting to see if this model gains popularity with the Seiko collectors.

Blog Entries

Re: Seiko's new Marinemaster Kinetic

That model isn't appealing to me at all - might be the pic, but it looks totally cheap IMO.

So, to sum up then, too big, too ugly, and overpriced. They should fly out of jewellers' windows. :lol: Not that anyone in this country will bother to stock them.

Grand Master

Well I like it, although at that size I would only wear it when diving!
    /vince ..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    ... although at that size I would only wear it when diving!
    Whoa! I overlooked the size of that beast... 49mm is way too big for normal wear.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Handsome, apart from the mis-matched hands and weirdly located date window, but pricey at £1250. And 49mm? :shock:

Commentary by GMT+9:

This new SBDD001 Kinetic Direct Drive Marinemaster is slated for a May 2008 release. Details are sketchy, but here’s what I can tell you:

Movement is the 5D22 Kinetic with handwinding capability. List price is 241,500 yen. Size is indicated as a whopping 49mm. This might include the crown, but I’m not sure yet. Thickness is 15.1mm. Cases are titanium with diashield like finish. Watches will be available with strap and bracelet, and there may be a black cased model as well.

This release tells us in no uncertain terms a few things. First of all, Seiko truly is committed to the Kinetic movement, and secondly, they are boldly pushing their lines upmarket towards the luxury segments with their pricing strategies.

The watch is clearly styled after the Spring Drive 600M diver with it’s sawtooth bezel and screwback case. The hour hand looks very similar to what we’ve seen on the new GS diver and the minute hand is similar to what’s used on the new Direct Drive Brightz model. It will be interesting to see if this model gains popularity with the Seiko collectors.
    looks nice to me that bezel looks a bit dangerous though :shock:

Master

Nope not for me, 49mm anyway is way to big.

The sawtooth bezel somehow looks out of place.

Thomas

Waaay overpriced add £300 more and You can get a SD 600M.

Take £300 off, and you can get a pukka MM300! :)

Master

Well, as always design is a question of personal taste.
    Concerning the size 49 mm is a bit too much IMO, at least for my wrist. But as I mentioned in my Baselworld review, it's still the trend. Watches still get bigger and bigger. Actually I thought the range of 44 to 48 mm would be the upper limit, but I've seen several bigger watches.
    Concerning the price, it's more or less the same: prices rise in general, and moreover SEIKO is aiming at a higher market sector. In Euro the price is approx. 1.480 €, which is quite much but IMO not something completely unreckoned nowadays.
    Please consider my comments come just from observation of the market and do not reflect if I personally like it or not.

I've seen the new Seiko Velatura SRH005P1 at Baselworld fair, and I must say I liked it somehow. It's equipped with Kinetic Direct Drive movement.
    I don't know the exact diameter, but I suppose it's 49 mm or perhaps even more. :scratch:
    German list price is 990 Euro (approx. 800 GBP).
    I'm a bit tempted, but Kinetic or not, it's quartz, and 990 Euro ist still a bunch of money.
    BTW, according to another trend there is a black and red gold (PVD) version, too.

/ Hal

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com

Too big for me really, and I'm not sure I like all of the design elements - they don't seem to gel. If I wanted to spend this sort of money on a Seiko dive watch, there's no way that it would be a kinetic. It would be the MM300.

It is a good looking watch but the price is a bit high for a kinetic movement model. I prefer an SBDX001 Marine Master or my current Seiko Kinetic SKA371 but size wise, I prefer this at 47mm excluding crown. If there is a retail discount I may be very tempted.

Dave

Blog Entries

Nope doesn't do it for me.
    Give me a MM Auto or Orient Star diver any day.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Not for me at all. Regardless of the size, the hands just don't work well and the fact it's kinetic makes that price way too high for me.

Blog Entries

Looks wise it's close to this Kinetic diver which I think looks better at a 1/10th of the price. Talking about price, that's too close to the MM300 - all IMHO of course. :wink:

I like the black one:

Master

Yes the black definitely looks better.

Thomas

From the pic, it has the generic look of a Seiko diver and uglier than some at that. And I am not sure if the direct drive innard should really command that huge price premium.

I guess we all forgot to mention this model is Japan only, like all the other marine masters. Won't find them in stores anytime soon.

Styling wise, very Seiko diver. The Marinemasters traditionally are huge, like the SBBNxxx, ard 46-50mm.

As to worth, I'm of the opinion a Seiko is usually underpriced for what you get.

Far too big IMO - and not very nice looking either (I wouldn't call it ugly though).

Don't mind the date position, but it's too big for me and the hands are dreadful.They look like they came from the odd parts bin! :shock:
    F.T.F.A.

Is there any confirmation regarding the size?

Craftsman

Seiko seem to have quoted the mighty 6105 when designing the dial, why in gods name dont they quote the case in a new watch? Its the case that makes the 6105! Make us a new 6105 please Seiko!

I really like it - could be a possible future purchase

Lee

too big, awkward date window, don't like the hands.

for years, a lot of WIS have been asking when Seiko would make bigger watches. well, they have done it across many of their lines - seiko 5, seiko prospex, etc - and frankly, i'm not liking what i'm seeing.

Craftsman

I too think it's overpriced. Perhaps if we wait for some real-life reviews then we might be proved wrong. I have to say I like citizen's new PMD56-2982 better. See: http://citizen.jp/promaster/lineup/marine_rcw.html