closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch dinks, part of life but man they are annoying ...

Master

Watch dinks, part of life but man they are annoying ...

Had my bb58 since November and wear it as my daily and know it will get knocks and dinks (such is life) but when they happen/when I notice them they still hurt my OCD! Nothing more to add just life happening.

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    know it will get knocks and dinks (such is life) but when they happen/when I notice them they still hurt my OCD! Nothing more to add just life happening.
    Fairly well put! And much better than a watch looking sad, lonely, unloved and unused 🙄

Craftsman
    I definitely like a worn watch but chips out of the lugs do my head in too!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ejtrent View Post
    I definitely like a worn watch but chips out of the lugs do my head in too!
    Inside of the lug as well. How is that even possible!

Master
    The fact that you felt the need to highlight where the ding was does rather indicate that it's rather small and entirely ignorable!

Journeyman
    I agree, I dinked the bezel on my GMT after only 2 days of ownership it left a small mark between the 2 and 3. I couldn’t live with it so off I went to st James and they replaced it took the old one plus £50 and a new one applied in an hour I can now rest happy lol

I bought an RN diver from these very forums which had various marks and a chip inside the lugs. I was a tiny bit disappointed when I received it but I did buy it as a beater so I got used to the fact it had already been broken in

Craftsman
    I remember the first time i got a scratch on a bezel of my seiko, i ordered a new one and paid to have it fitted!
    Its not an expensive watch by the standards on this forum but was pricy to me and i couldnt stand it not being perfect!

Now i have a mortgage, kids & a gazillion bills i didnt have back then, scratches and dings are less of a priority! If the worst of ones worries are a ding in a watch, then life has been pretty sweet up to that point!
    I still get miffed by scratches and dings, but they are part of life, now i just mutter an expletive under my breath and move on.

They are just overpriced functional jewellery anyway, no value but that which we bestow upon them.
    As said already, better have a well worn, used and appreciated watch with a few dings than a pristine BNIB NOS piece that has hardly been worn.

Master
    As small as the ding is, that would drive my watch OCD through the roof.

Off with watch and get the tool box out for a quick refurb job.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I agree, I dinked the bezel on my GMT after only 2 days of ownership it left a small mark between the 2 and 3. I couldn’t live with it so off I went to st James and they replaced it took the old one plus £50 and a new one applied in an hour I can now rest happy lol
    You must have felt like you used your "Get out of jail free" card on that mishap!
    I would expect a bigger bill and turnaround on a bezel for a Seiko BFK.

Craftsman
    I'm the exact same. Just keep telling yourself watches are to be enjoyed (although this still doesnt stop me getting annoyed for a longer than acceptable time when I notice a new scratch haha)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    You must have felt like you used your "Get out of jail free" card on that mishap!
    I would expect a bigger bill and turnaround on a bezel for a Seiko BFK.
    Yes you are 100% right I felt VERY lucky!

Craftsman
    I am both clumsy and the father of two year old twins which makes adding "character" to my watches inevitable. I would far rather use and risk damaging things, after all I am collecting watches to enjoy not start a museum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    It's a ding, the size of a gnats you know what, why should such a little thing annoy a grown man.

Quote Originally Posted by Zook View Post
    I am both clumsy and the father of two year old twins which makes adding "character" to my watches inevitable. I would far rather use and risk damaging things, after all I am collecting watches to enjoy not start a museum.
    I like the cut o' your jib. Besides, if you stick new bezels on etc. it'll only happen again.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    It's a ding, the size of a gnats you know what, why should such a little thing annoy a grown man.
    If you were looking to buy that watch in a shop, and noticed a ding the size of a gnats you know what … Would you not mention it in hope of getting a few bob knocked off?

Watch dinks, part of life but man they are annoying ...

Quote Originally Posted by Zook View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I feel like having multiple kids at the same time is the Ultimate test of several things, watches being one of them. When i had mine i bought a Damasko for that reason.
    Still scratched it though.. The scratches makes it yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Clearly not you but yes it annoys me, all be it for a short period of time.

If you were looking to buy that watch in a shop, and noticed a ding the size of a gnats you know what … Would you not mention it in hope of getting a few bob knocked off?
    I would.

However if I bought a watch that was unmarked and then dinged it myself, leading to a small mark as identified by the OP, it wouldn’t unduly bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Inside of the lug as well. How is that even possible!
    I have an almost identical mark in the exact same place on my Tudor Black Bay - caused by a late-night-stressed-and-rushed-before-holiday-departure-next-day change to the Tudor NATO, when a spring bar exited out the front of the watch, school boy error. Valuable lesson learned: don't do any watch fettling unless rested, relaxed & in good light. It's had worse since, such is life.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    Now i have a mortgage, kids & a gazillion bills i didnt have back then, scratches and dings are less of a priority! If the worst of ones worries are a ding in a watch, then life has been pretty sweet up to that point!
    Exactly. It's legitimately annoying but not the end of the world. If you wear a watch with any regularity it's inevitable. Curse, brief sulk, then move on.

Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    Off with watch and get the tool box out for a quick refurb job.
    I doff my hat to your skills, because to my eyes that's a trickier repair than it looks - a flattened nick on a sharp lug edge, where the top-side finish is quite distinctively brushed in a fashion that's hard to truly get right with home tools. Simple enough for skilled hands, but all too easy to end-up with an awfully softned lug edge. Better to just live with something so very minor, in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I would. However if I bought a watch that was unmarked and then dinged it myself, leading to a small mark as identified by the OP, it wouldn’t unduly bother me.
    Eminently sensible. A point I'd certainly use to save money on a purchase - as i have in the past - but if the deal was right I wouldn't be dissuaded from buying. It's a certainty that you'll do more damage yourself during ownership.
    Last edited by Stringer; 7th April 2019 at 20:52. Reason: Spelling

Grand Master
    Its a bump not a dark spot on a cancer scan so don’t let it bother you, life’s too short
    RIAC

Or a ding in the side of a 100K plus car.

Unfortunate, but inevitable.

Use it and live with it, or buy a cheap nasty disposable to run about with.

Watches like cars aren't art!

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It is so liberating, you suffer a 'dink' and get depressed over it. After a while, well, you get over it. Then you don't really notice,(but you know it's there) so you get over it. And before you know it, you don't care anymore, it just a tiny little dink on a piece of stainless steel, rose gold, platinum, and, phew, you are enjoying your watch, scars & all.
    I have relaxed over the years, & not let these things get to me anymore, if you see what I mean. Yes, try & look after as best you can your pride & joy, but don't let a 'dink' reduce your pleasure of ownership.

Blog Entries
    1st world war problems…. Watches are made to be worn…

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Its a bump not a dark spot on a cancer scan so don’t let it bother you, life’s too short
    +1 to that. Enjoy life while you can. I scratched the clasp on my Aquanaut - annoying, but it's not like someone died and it makes it my watch now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    1st world war problems….
    ??

Master
    I bought a pre owned Sub date 16610 that had a small ding and yes I used it as a lever to drive the price down. To be frank, anyone who frets over a ding should buy a G Shock and then they can relax. Spending a lot of money on a watch and being worried sick over getting scratch is hardly sensible for your mental health.

Now if I buy a vintage watch with wabi I’m fine with it and don’t want to take the patina away by polishing it out so leave as is, but if I have a pristine watch I hate adding any marks but it’s very rare I do.
    Saying that I just don’t get how watches get so banged up, I mean what do people do to put so many dings and scuffs on a watch? Just wear a cheap G-Shock for DIY or working on the bike/car..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I made the mistake of looking at my not pristine SMP under a pair of magnifiers.
    It has a ding on the bezel that's easy to see but i also saw a tiny little hair on the second hand.
    I felt like I'd been punched in the solar plexus for a few seconds then the moment passed. P'ah

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Now if I buy a vintage watch with wabi I’m fine with it and don’t want to take the patina away by polishing it out so leave as is, but if I have a pristine watch I hate adding any marks but it’s very rare I do.
    Saying that I just don’t get how watches get so banged up, I mean what do people do to put so many dings and scuffs on a watch? Just wear a cheap G-Shock for DIY or working on the bike/car..

Good question! No idea mine were done. I have a desk job and don’t wear it work on anything like cars or garden work. Can only imagine it was when I was play fighting with my 5 year old daughter.

Journeyman
    Still a noob (but long time lurker) and finding it difficult to locate a thread posted some while back (at least a year possibly more).

If memory serves it was about a teacher or someone like that with a submariner that was totally trashed but he'd worn it everywhere and it was his watch. The crystal was cloudy too I believe. A good thread for the pictures if anyone can locate it.

Slightly more on topic, I'm not careless but definitely don't care if my belongings show a bit of use. Wish I hadn't dropped my Nomos on a tiled floor and bent the lug though 😁

My work watch is a Seiko Kinetic Diver which I have worn for 8 years. I put a scratch on the hardlex glass within a week.
    Like a new stainless sink, the first scratches to the case really showed. But eventually it gets so scratched that it just looks like a factory satin finish.

Twice a year, I zip it in a jacket pocket and put it through the wash … I can't believe how good it looks when it comes out!

I'm so attatched to it now I'm thinking of sending it off for a re-furb. I know it would be cheaper to buy a new one, but it's been so darn good I would only wear the old one and chuck the replacement in a drawer.

So in summary, the first scratch or ding is mighty annoying … but after that it's just character.
    Last edited by DaveA; 8th April 2019 at 19:05.

Twice a year, I zip it in a jacket pocket and put it through the wash … I can't believe how good it looks when it comes out!
    😳

Master
    I don't care. This is my usual daily wear. 20 years old and running. Even the gold plating and dial colour is mostly gone.

Craftsman
    Its not a ding its character

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I didn’t realise that my LVC & BLNR were “hitting” each other in my watch winder so now both watches have a few small dinks in the outer case. The issue has been rectified but it was/is still upsetting to see as it could have been avoided!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    1st world war problems…. Watches are made to be worn…
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    ??
    It was something my daughter came out with once in error…. Made me giggle and I’ve been using it since…

I must learn to self moderate…. A Wolf family ‘in joke’ may not translate outside of the family!

Ah...I thought that I wasn’t understanding some obvious play on the phrase! Thanks for clarifying.

Blog Entries
    Before:

After:

And with a wardrobe disaster (well the picture was taken in December):

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 8th April 2019 at 22:52.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Ouch!
    Yup! It’ll cost me come service time!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

They wear them, just as you would wear the G-Shock. To the vast majority watches are devices that tell the time. A knock here, a scratch there, it's just a watch, and they only get peeved if it stops working. My dad's only watch is a vintage Avia dress watch. He will be wearing it whether gardening, replacing the suspension on his campervan, you name it. To WIS it's a dress watch, to him it's just a watch.

I would say most of them looks much worst at photos then in reality. But OCD is a real problem here, right?

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koristeći Tapatalk