closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audi RS4 recaros stolen

Master
    So, the car was parked outside the dealership for 'however long' & in the meantime scrote/scrotes just wandered by and thought, Cor, coupla seats there for the pickin' & make no mishtake it's a RS Audi, and 'em seats is worf a 'monkey' each I'll be bound.
    Lucky, they's all at tea break, so we'll 'ave 'em away in next to no time.
    How quickly can you remove seats out of a car in front of a main dealer without being noticed, or are am I missing something here, and yes, I've read the whole thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    So, the car was parked outside the dealership for 'however long' & in the meantime scrote/scrotes just wandered by and thought, Cor, coupla seats there for the pickin' & make no mishtake it's a RS Audi, and 'em seats is worf a 'monkey' each I'll be bound.
    Lucky, they's all at tea break, so we'll 'ave 'em away in next to no time.
    How quickly can you remove seats out of a car in front of a main dealer without being noticed, or are am I missing something here, and yes, I've read the whole thread.
    I’m assuming the car was left overnight and that’s when the theft occurred.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    sadly if the garage has a x/s and the costs exceed this to repair ,& they pass the claim to their insurers, the insurer will either pay to repair only if economical to do so , or deal as a total loss as the car is beyond economical repair if repair costs exceed the vehicles pre accident value or constructive total loss if the repair cost together with the salvage value exceed the vehicle p.a.v. the vehicle should be categorised as a cat N ( non structural), probably the owner may be able to negotiate to retain the salvage with the insurer at a cost/reduction in the settlement. but the owner must be aware with a knowledge of hpi/ loss history any subsequent insurance claim will be effected by a reduction in value or when he comes to sell.( and he has to inform his own insurers )

and the repair cost is no surprise to me , be aware new headlamps on new BMWs can cost between 2-4 K alone. its the price of technology.
    The garage's insurance restriction are irrelevant to the car owner, that's the garage's problem if their insurance won't fully cover the loss.

Surely it is simple, the car was left in their care and (as they apparently didn't disagree) they agreed to keep it inside. They need to put the car back the way it was. They can do this out of honour and courtesy or the owner can make them do it in court, I would imagine (from my layman's perspective) it would be a fairly clear cut case. To deny the instruction to keep it inside a garage employee would have to perjure themselves in court, would you do that for your employer?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    To deny the instruction to keep it inside a garage employee would have to perjure themselves in court, would you do that for your employer?
    Unless the car owner had a witness to his request, or he put it in writing, it’s one persons word against the other. He can’t prove that he said it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Unless the car owner had a witness to his request, or he put it in writing, it’s one persons word against the other. He can’t prove that he said it.
    I disagree, as I said if it goes to court someone will have to perjure themselves, would you do that?

And anyway, the kept outside is a bit irrelevant, it was in their care and they didn't protect it properly.

I'd be escalating this to Audi UK and reminding the dealer of the power of the internet.

Audi RS4 recaros stolen

Agree with Jeremy. They have a duty to take care of the car, no matter what the OP’s friend has told them.

if it goes to court someone will have to perjure themselves, would you do that?
    Remember that this is a car dealer we're talking about.

"They need to put the car back the way it was", The insurers don't
    I am referring to if the garage pass the claim on to their insurers , the insurers will cover the cost of putting the owner back in a position had the damage not occurred, that's either by repair or compensate (total loss) for the cost of a replacement like for like vehicle ( same age , mileage and condition)which ever is the most economical.

Don’t most garages have really high excesses ? My sons car was damaged by VW and they put 4 new alloys and a new sports exhaust on his car to make things right. My son asked them if they went through insurance and the answer was a firm no but the idiots who damaged his car did supposedly get the boot.

Craftsman
    I would think obvious negligence/damage by a technician or driver is down to the dealer,I would have doubts about overnight parking as you have theft insurance of your own and garage car parks are no different to pubs,restaurants,doctors surgery’s, magistrates courts,railway stn car parks and a hundred other places that may offer free overnight parking. Just because you have the keys doesn’t mean an overnight vigil with baseball bats at the ready.I shall follow with interest.

My wife's having dinner with Mrs RS4 tomorrow so will hopefully get an update ( my mates gone quiet)

Master
    I don’t think you can consider the “ forecourt “ as overnight parking, we had locked gates to prevent theft and cctv, that doesn’t suggest that all cars are at owners risk? I’d pop in to ask the bosses opinion but they keep asking if I want my job back.

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    I would think obvious negligence/damage by a technician or driver is down to the dealer,I would have doubts about overnight parking as you have theft insurance of your own and garage car parks are no different to pubs,restaurants,doctors surgery’s, magistrates courts,railway stn car parks and a hundred other places that may offer free overnight parking. Just because you have the keys doesn’t mean an overnight vigil with baseball bats at the ready.I shall follow with interest.
    I’m with you on this one. Someone has to decide whether the vehicle was still under the care of the dealership and therefore covered by their insurance for a successful claim to be made against them.

As others have said, perhaps make use of the Legal Expenses Insurance if the OP’s pal has any on his motor or home insurance policy. They will be able to tell you if you have a shout of claiming against the dealership as a “third party”.

Alternatively, just claim from his own insurance and let them pursue the dealership for their outlay.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    I don’t think you can consider the “ forecourt “ as overnight parking, we had locked gates to prevent theft and cctv, that doesn’t suggest that all cars are at owners risk? I’d pop in to ask the bosses opinion but they keep asking if I want my job back.
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    I’m with you on this one. Someone has to decide whether the vehicle was still under the care of the dealership and therefore covered by their insurance for a successful claim to be made against them.

As others have said, perhaps make use of the Legal Expenses Insurance if the OP’s pal has any on his motor or home insurance policy. They will be able to tell you if you have a shout of claiming against the dealership as a “third party”.

Alternatively, just claim from his own insurance and let them pursue the dealership for their outlay.
    Who had the keys? The dealer? It was unambiguously in their care.

Who had the keys? The dealer? It was unambiguously in their care.
    This, implicitly.

I leave my car at the dealer for work and hand over the keys, I hand over care whilst it is there.

No ambiguity, no debate.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Would the locked gates/cctv not have fulfilled their care obligations and leave the onus on the owner? There is after all only so much care they can take. If my bank card is hacked through no fault of the bank they will not cover the loss.There is only so much they can do,even garages close at night.

If there were locked gates you might have a point. They do have an area that is locked which is where he asked them to park his car.

Master
    If my bank card is hacked through no fault of the bank they will not cover the loss.
    Yes they will, my understanding is they will only not cover your loss if you have been clearly negligent (i.e. giving the details to a Nigerian ministers widow).

Whatever the legal situation the dealership also have their reputation to consider.

Would the locked gates/cctv not have fulfilled their care obligations and leave the onus on the owner? There is after all only so much care they can take. If my bank card is hacked through no fault of the bank they will not cover the loss.There is only so much they can do,even garages close at night.
    Rather than hacking, I think a fairer comparison would be that your bank card was stolen from the bank, after you had given the card to them.

Craftsman
    Cars are designed to attract attention and generally are too big for the average safe,so have locks and alarms because of their intended exposure- I see your point but a somewhat tenuous comparison I feel.

£4k brand new. Not £22k.
    £1500 second hand.

Or Recaro CS for a different option.
    Phone Recaro Uk.
    Demon Tweeks.

Quote Originally Posted by speedish View Post
    £4k brand new. Not £22k.
    £1500 second hand.

Or Recaro CS for a different option.
    Phone Recaro Uk.
    Demon Tweeks.
    Those are retail prices, not 'supplied and fitted by a dealer' prices. ;-)

I wonder if there was any other damage as a result of the theft? Could explain the 22k maybe?

Pretty off topic, but what's the correct way to pronounce 'Gaggia'?

Edit: Not just off topic; it's in the wrong thread as well. Oops.
    Last edited by hogthrob; 10th April 2019 at 21:42.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Pretty off topic, but what's the correct way to pronounce 'Gaggia'?

Edit: Not just off topic; it's in the wrong thread as well. Oops.
    It is gadg ger - it is the name of the inventor

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I wonder if there was any other damage as a result of the theft? Could explain the 22k maybe?
    As the owner of one of these and having seen these thefts (although fortunately not suffered from one) there will be some other damage but the vast majority will be the seats.

It is due to a couple of weaknesses in the Audi security system, which are fairly easily rectified with experience.

If it were my car I would be looking for Audi to source a set of 2nd hand seats and possibly retrimming them etc. to get my car back as close as sensibly possible rather than written off. Or some similar seats and a payment for the loss of value.

Insisting on seats the value of the car won't help the owner get his car back.

Site should have been secure and I would expect Audi to make good. They will carry insurance or self insure for this I am certain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    As the owner of one of these and having seen these thefts (although fortunately not suffered from one) there will be some other damage but the vast majority will be the seats.

It is due to a couple of weaknesses in the Audi security system, which are fairly easily rectified with experience.

If it were my car I would be looking for Audi to source a set of 2nd hand seats and possibly retrimming them etc. to get my car back as close as sensibly possible rather than written off. Or some similar seats and a payment for the loss of value.

Insisting on seats the value of the car won't help the owner get his car back.

Site should have been secure and I would expect Audi to make good. They will carry insurance or self insure for this I am certain.
    This is what I don't understand. It's not like Audi isn't wealthy enough as a company, surely, to avoid the need to get insurance involved and just order and replace the seats and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    This is what I don't understand. It's not like Audi isn't wealthy enough as a company, surely, to avoid the need to get insurance involved and just order and replace the seats and move on.
    It’s not Audi themselves though, it’s a franchised dealership. The responsibility lies with the dealership itself rather than the manufacturer.

Having said that, £22k (or undoubtedly less as that’s retail) would still be a fairly insignificant sum to any decent franchised dealership of any make if vehicle.

Master
    OP, any news? It would interesting to hear how this was resolved.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I'm sure there will be a little sign up somewhere stating that cars are left at customer's risk. Most garages have them.
    And if I recall correctly that sign has zero status in law. Similar to the ones in Supermarket car parks.

Master

Audi RS4 recaros stolen

Do we have an update on this?

Any update ?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    A guy at work was told about this a few years back and Audi contacted owners to go to dealers to have the rails welded the the chassis. Madness!

They gave my mate the normal trade in price for his car as if it still had the seats and they sold him an SQ5 demo (which he has been using while this was on going and he loved) for a trade in price. He was very happy in the end and it all worked out.
    Thanks
    Andy

It certainly makes modesty look attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    They gave my mate the normal trade in price for his car as if it still had the seats and they sold him an SQ5 demo (which he has been using while this was on going and he loved) for a trade in price. He was very happy in the end and it all worked out.
    Thanks
    Andy

Thanks Andy.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    If an official Audi dealer you would expect some kind of CCTV and better security.
    I have to say if I had specifically asked for the car to be put away I’d be seething.

Least they did the decent thing with the new car, but not the point if he wanted to keep the old one.
    Last edited by Richy; 2nd September 2019 at 06:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    A guy at work was told about this a few years back and Audi contacted owners to go to dealers to have the rails welded the the chassis. Madness!
    So that when they try to nick your seats and find out that they are welded they can cut them up?

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Does anyone actually know the legal (not moral) position regarding the garage having been given instructions by the owner relating to the cars security while in their care, and their liability?
    I would hope they are responsible, probably via their insurer, but am aware that might not be the case, hence the question. A definitive answer may help not only the OP's friend, but maybe some of us in the future.
    He should be able to claim under bailment. It's fine to discuss insurance but it's largely irrelevant to his actual legal claim against the garage.